Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we have a 22kW Generac that was installed last year.  I think we paid $7k for everything...
View Quote
We have the same. I think we paid similar. I can't run both ovens, the dryer, dishwasher, and furnace at the same time, but I can at least cook and keep the house warm.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
silly question - are there battery systems that charge from the grid, but can serve as backup power and peak shaving?
View Quote
Yes, It just depends on how you design/built it.
Most of the time, if folks build out a battery system like that, it charges/tops off during the day via Solar, then runs off storage at night.

All you're doing is converting from something (Sun, plant power or some source power) to DC to store,  then back to AC to use...

With out Solar you're just looking at Batteries, Inverters, a BMS, accessories and labor (unless you DIY). Cost of room or place to store batts,
To store any usable power that will last any amount of time, gets real spendy, real quick IMO...
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have three inverters in parallel, each is fed with a 50 amp breaker and will automatically pull from the grid if the batteries are low or if the house needs more power than the inverters are rated for. They all operate independently of the grid, but if the grid is down I'm limited to 150 amps steady (300 amps for 30 seconds).

I don't sell to the grid as I didn't pay an engineer to certify the system and I didn't want to be limited by the power company on how many panels I install. I would have had to buy a different inverter to sell to them which would have cost about $1k extra. In my case I wanted multiple inverters as that gives me redundancy. I can loose an inverter and still make 100 amps without issue.
View Quote

Educate me on parallel inverters, haven't looked into it.
Are they physically interconnected to maintain phase synch?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. They talk with each other and maintain phase. I put a new subpanel in and wired my home to it. The old breaker box just feeds the inverters. I've been running off two inverters for a few months and ordered the third a few weeks a few weeks ago. Should have it up and running in the next week or so, just have to take an hour or two and do the final wiring. The third inverter will also let me add another 10kw of panels if I decide to. I don't need them now, but I want to expand my house and may add an EV at some point. I like the idea of having my own fuel generation at home.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The curse of AR15.com.  Get both.

I can type a wall of text, but an everything system can be very expensive.  A minimal system can be much less so.  We do have a whole house on a rental.  It was picked out by a short sighted bean counter.  So money was saved up front, but operation cost $/h is quite high.  We do not have NG, so we are on propane.  So that means about $150/day for electricity and a propane truck every 3 days.  Ok for a rental, but almost useless for a hurricane.  Diesel would probably cost less than 1/2 per hour to operate, plus diesel is more likely to be available after a hurricane.  But that would have been 50% more expensive up front.

For that 50%, we could have easily put in something similar to a powerwall.  But a whole house battery is more an emergency feature at that price point.  It would take multiple units to run central AC (just do to the current draw).  Still I bet both could give you the best quality back up power, with the fastest transfer time and lowest operating costs.

Ultimately it depends on draw and goals.  Powering a few refrigerators and a mini-split is easy - a 4k sq foot house is another thing all together.
---
FWIW, I have that EG4 system in storage right now.  I wanted it for some offgrid buildings (I still need to get the buildings up - but I have 3 years for the tax credit).  With a 15kwh battery, it is under $5k per 6kw inverter (that is under $4k for the 15kwh battery, and about $800 for the inverter/charger) - pretax.  A $1k portable generator (sorry, I forget the size, but it was a large one - maybe 10=12kw) can charge it (hell, iirc at it's max charge rate for 2 linked systems).  Since mine is for a business, there was a very good tax credit available.  So add in a pallet of 400 watt solar panels - and the system with 12kwh of solar, 30kwh of lipo, and 12kw of inverter was about $7500 after tax.  Mounting sold separately LOL.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
A powerwall is about $13k with the hookup box. It holds 13kwh of power and it uses lithium ion batteries.

My EG4 batteries aren't as pretty, but 5kwh of rack mount power is $1150. So about 30% of the cost. Not to mention they're LiFePO4 which gives many more cycles before they wear out and are less likely to have fire issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
IF you ramp it up to the same size battery, you are still 1/2 the cost of a power wall.  Just a note - that EG4 does not have grid backfeed.  The one with grid backfeed is a little larger (50% more capacity IIRC), and 4x the price.  That said, it only gets depressing when you are thinking of having 4 of them on your house...
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
IF you ramp it up to the same size battery, you are still 1/2 the cost of a power wall.
View Quote
About 30% of the cost gets you 15kwh of storage.

Currently I run my home on 35kwh of batteries and rarely run them down to 20% from cloudy weather.

I expect I'll need more batteries in winter if I want to do full electric heat. Days are shorter and you need the most heat generation at night when it's coldest.

ETA: That's correct, you need an inverter to use them as a battery backup (about $1450 per 50 amps of steady service). I know they have a couple wall mount models that can be placed outdoors. I don't think any of them have built in inverters.

In most cases batteries make sense when adding whole home solar and you need to purchase the inverters anyways.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Put in a 10K Generac and 100 amp transfer switch on NG last year, best friend is a master sparky, got it done for about 6600 all in.

Only large load I have is a 2 ton central A/C I put in last year, seems to start it easily.

A/C panel says LRA is 41.7 amps, 10K makes 41.5 amps at 240v and the Generac document I found has the 9k with a surge output at 70 amps.

My buddy has same genset and it starts his older 3 ton without issue.

I can live with the central a/c if needed but it's started it up every time I've tested and in 1 short outage.

As always YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes. They talk with each other and maintain phase. I put a new subpanel in and wired my home to it. The old breaker box just feeds the inverters. I've been running off two inverters for a few months and ordered the third a few weeks a few weeks ago. Should have it up and running in the next week or so, just have to take an hour or two and do the final wiring. The third inverter will also let me add another 10kw of panels if I decide to. I don't need them now, but I want to expand my house and may add an EV at some point. I like the idea of having my own fuel generation at home.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20240616_181206_jpg-3251345.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20240616_181206_jpg-3251345.JPG

6000XP entirely make sense here. I was thinking grid tie meant net meter/bill/solar BB. Thx man.

Sounds like you have Lifepower4 in the rack? 3.5U is a pretty decent format.  I'm a a couple years out from battery EOL, have decisions to make.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I did not read the whole thread but often systems I encountered required load shedding to qualify for automatic transfer. The generator sizing could not supply what was needed even for the reduced loads of a code load calculation to meet requirements for automatic transfer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

6000XP entirely make sense here. I was thinking grid tie meant net meter/bill/solar BB. Thx man.

Sounds like you have Lifepower4 in the rack? 3.5U is a pretty decent format.  I'm a a couple years out from battery EOL, have decisions to make.

View Quote
Yes. I have seven now. I may eventually expand it depending on price and how the next winter goes.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#13]
In the process of getting on now, just waiting on permits, I went with a 24kw generac air cooled. Wasn't sure if the liquid cooled was worth the $ as it's not going to run that often (I hope). And I probably could have gotten by with a 20kw, but 24kw was only a few hundred bucks more.

considering the trenching they will have to do to get the gas to the opposite side of the house and trenching for electrical (we aren't allowed to have exposed wires here, or conduit running outside of our house), installed price is 15k
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#14]
in 2017 when harvey hit down here, home generators were still a rarity, i knew everybody that had one and easily kept up with their fuel needs

after harvey a few new ones went in but very few

after the big freeze down here i've been installing generators ever since, soooooooooooo many fucking generators are out there now.  almost every new house has one or has a stub-up to put one in

so if you're on propane make goddamned sure you've got enough storage for an extended outage.  do not count on getting gas during an extended outage.  most propane companies don't even have self-loading trucks so if there's no power they can't get even get it from storage onto their trucks
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes. I have seven now. I may eventually expand it depending on price and how the next winter goes.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/1000009353_jpg-3251376.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/1000009353_jpg-3251376.JPG

HAWT. Much better solutions now.

Wish I took pics of the original Telco batts/home brew box that were in place.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a thing about permanently installed generator. Might want to check on the if, when, and how much load if any it needs to be exercised properly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a large portable job site honda generator I just wheel out and plug in when the power goes out here. I can run the well pump, some lights and keep the food cold. Good enough and not too expensive.  I had to install a transfer switch and exterior plug. I also had to remove a small jumper wire on the Honda, because the GFCI on the generator didn't play well with the house.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Generac whole house, fully auto owner since 2007 in coastal Virginia.  Runs like a champ, powers everything except dishwasher, dryer and hot tub. But best advice I can give is get a yearly service agreement with installer. We started with Southern States, in Deltaville. Our original installer comes out once a year for a full service…usually runs $160…systems self operates for 30 minutes weekly.  Your respected service tech is your friend….don’t skimp on yearly maintenance!

It also helps that we only live one block from our fire department, so when Dominion Power fails, we get restored fairly quickly!
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$11.2k two years ago and worth every penny....
View Quote

$9k 2 years ago as I was building my house.  Lots easier and cheaper to do it that way.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a portable Duromax off Amazon late spring ‘23 when they had some killer deals on the higher wattage ones. I got a dual fuel 12,000 watt one for $899.

When you lose power, just focus on the bare essentials. You don’t need/want to do a load of laundry with your power out.

But in hot/humid places you do want your AC to work and anywhere wants the refrigerator to keep going.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Cummins with cold weather kit if you are in cold climates.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a generac, running off propane. I disabled the automatic start so it doesn't run if I'm not home and use up all my propane.

Definitely nice to have though
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Am currently running a 22 year old Kohler 45kw Lp gas 6 cyl ford engine,getting a bit long in the tooth.Going to upgrade soon for a Kohler 48kw 8 cyl engine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Am currently running a 22 year old Kohler 45kw Lp gas 6 cyl ford engine,getting a bit long in the tooth.Going to upgrade soon for a Kohler 48kw 8 cyl engine.
View Quote
Those are huge! Why so large?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Timely thread.

We were without power for 7 hours yesterday. Wife works from home so it was a pretty big deal.

Plugged the fridge into a Jackery 1500 - good for about 30 hours.

Got a 2500 watt gas generator that powered fans, lights and her computer. Was able to hot spot some Wi-Fi thankfully
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, that's a 250A panel running full bore 80% load. Wild, I couldn't even pull that much power from the grid with my 200A meter if I wanted to. Without EV charging I barely peak over 6kW even running AC in a 3500sqft house. With EV charging if I really very intentionally try to turn everything on I can hit maybe 12-14kW but you gotta work for it. I guess people need to run 500 tons of AC and electric pool heaters during a power outage, not for me. Gotta be a pretty impressive bill every month.

I know some areas lose power a lot more and for a lot longer and have different needs, but for me for the occasional power outage we get maybe once or twice year that might last a day or two tops but usually no more than a few hours, I just use a manual interlock and standalone generator 120v 3600W. Easily runs all the fridges, TVs, and central furnace (NG) so long as you're selective what you run. Basically everything except for the AC and oven. Gas stove top, hot water, lights, etc, all good to go.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Installing a Generac 26kw at a friends house.
$6700 + electrician
Nat gas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
It will depend on natural gas availability.  I went with this 10 years ago and have been very happy.

https://www.auroragenerators.com/product-page/agi20p
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]
We have a 26KW Generac Stand By Genset.  At the time, it was the largest Air Cooled machine available.
Fueled by Natural Gas.
It has worked very well for us with no issues.
Do recommend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#30]
If you have a Generac I highly suggest this if you are handy.

DIY Generator Monitoring with GENMON
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Generac 22kw that I put in when my house was built. No natural gas but I installed a 1000 gallon in-ground propane tank as well. If it died today I would buy another one tomorrow. It's already carried us through a couple of hurricanes as well as many other power outages. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not always quieter.
Liquid cooled gens typically have larger motors and the smallest liquid cooled is louder than my 22KW air cooled.

Bigger gens require more fuel, if you are on NG a standard AC-250 meter is likely too small and a meter upgrade is another 1K or less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're going big, look into a liquid-cooled unit.  They should run at half speed (1800 rpm) and be much quieter.

Not always quieter.
Liquid cooled gens typically have larger motors and the smallest liquid cooled is louder than my 22KW air cooled.

Bigger gens require more fuel, if you are on NG a standard AC-250 meter is likely too small and a meter upgrade is another 1K or less.

Sure it's going to depend on the size and design, but for a given size they are usually a lot quieter.  And there's a good bit of overlap in the larger air cooled and smaller liquid cooled.  You have a point on the NG though. That upgrade can get expensive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a Generac 22kw that I put in when my house was built. No natural gas but I installed a 1000 gallon in-ground propane tank as well. If it died today I would buy another one tomorrow. It's already carried us through a couple of hurricanes as well as many other power outages. Worth every penny.
View Quote
Same but tank is above ground. We got hit with a severe thunder storm this AM. Power went out at 8:30, genny was making power at 8:31and I did nothing! Around 9:30 I took a ride down the road and found 3 down power poles. Power was just restored, genny ran 11hrs today keeping my ass cool and hydrated with cold beverages...so worth the$$$
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I would go diesel if NG was not available and you live in farm country
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Generac. Does my whole house.  I don’t do anything but change oil and filters once a year.  I was on genny power earlier today.  

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I was listening to a southwest power pool meeting today.  Dude was bitching that their 2025~26 models didn’t have enough dispatchable generation to cover peak load in their reliability models.  They decided to flip some renewables to dispatchable and call it good.   I have considered a generex but I figure during an outage the gas pressure will eventually give out.  So I got a propane capable 4kw with a stash of propane.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Seriously, that's a 250A panel running full bore 80% load. Wild, I couldn't even pull that much power from the grid with my 200A meter if I wanted to. Without EV charging I barely peak over 6kW even running AC in a 3500sqft house. With EV charging if I really very intentionally try to turn everything on I can hit maybe 12-14kW but you gotta work for it. I guess people need to run 500 tons of AC and electric pool heaters during a power outage, not for me. Gotta be a pretty impressive bill every month.

I know some areas lose power a lot more and for a lot longer and have different needs, but for me for the occasional power outage we get maybe once or twice year that might last a day or two tops but usually no more than a few hours, I just use a manual interlock and standalone generator 120v 3600W. Easily runs all the fridges, TVs, and central furnace (NG) so long as you're selective what you run. Basically everything except for the AC and oven. Gas stove top, hot water, lights, etc, all good to go.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

It all depends on needs. Pervasive outages, a desire to have seamless transitions and some large systems (reactive loads) predicated. Load calc was about right, normally halfish, but enough overhead. It's been flawless, likely because it's understressed. But yea not necessarily economical.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#38]
the two biggest generacs i know of have a v-10 ford and an 8.1 chevy

one powers a windmill power company
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have three inverters in parallel, each is fed with a 50 amp breaker and will automatically pull from the grid if the batteries are low or if the house needs more power than the inverters are rated for. They all operate independently of the grid, but if the grid is down I'm limited to 150 amps steady (300 amps for 30 seconds).

I don't sell to the grid as I didn't pay an engineer to certify the system and I didn't want to be limited by the power company on how many panels I install. I would have had to buy a different inverter to sell to them which would have cost about $1k extra. In my case I wanted multiple inverters as that gives me redundancy. I can loose an inverter and still make 100 amps without issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@jaqufrost

I didn't realize you had a battery backup - are you off grid or battery backup grid-tie?

If Gridtie/backup how did you set that up? Parallel systems - Dual inverter?

Any pictures of your setup, including panels?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
we have a 22kW Generac that was installed last year.  I think we paid $7k for everything...
View Quote

That’s a great deal in 2014 I paid $5400 for a 13k I stalled
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:32:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Have an electrician look at your breaker box and circuits. The dipshit who wired my house made it so they were not able to get all of the house. My master bedroom is on the generator, but the master bath is not. The basement is on, but the stair lights into the basement aren’t. Granted not a huge issue, but frustrating
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I did a Generac whole house NG about 3 years ago.  I was about $7K all in including concrete pad and installed.   14,000 kw with a 200 amp transfer switch.  Of course since then we have not had a power outage.

EDIT.  It is dual fuel so if the NG grid goes down or pressure drops-unlikely-I can hook up propane.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Same but tank is above ground. We got hit with a severe thunder storm this AM. Power went out at 8:30, genny was making power at 8:31and I did nothing! Around 9:30 I took a ride down the road and found 3 down power poles. Power was just restored, genny ran 11hrs today keeping my ass cool and hydrated with cold beverages...so worth the$$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of my family works in healthcare so we are at work for almost every hurricane. It's a big relief to know that the house and family who don't work in healthcare are taken care of when we are at work.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any pictures of your setup, including panels?
View Quote
15,400w of panels currently. Two arrays, one of 40 Huyandai panels and one of eight Canadian Solar bifacial panels. In the summer it's about 90kwh/day production on average. In the winter it should be just under 60kwh/day.

40 Huyandai panels.
Attachment Attached File

Eight Canadian Solar panels.
Attachment Attached File

Both racks are elevated so I can park my vehicles under them.

I posted pics of the batteries and inverters earlier.

I have a chargeverter that is wired in to feed the batteries from my 9kw Predator generator. I have an outside 240v 30amp plug that is wired to the chargeverter. If for some reason the grid is down and weather has been nasty a few days, I can run a steady flow from the generator into the batteries and inverters. This is much more fuel efficient than running larger generators. I have the generator mounted on a cart so it can be toted out of the shed easily.
Attachment Attached File

You can see my 6ga feed for the third inverter waiting to be installed in the breaker box. I'll probably hook it up next week when I get some free time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What's your power load?

Do you have existing fuel / propane tanks?

<- Have single residence home on acreage.
Well pump, septic system, split level with four persons living here.

Had licensed electrician run interlock switch on breaker panels (house and well).
Got all permits.
I installed conduit and cable.
Cost $1400.

Purchased Champion gas powered genset rated at 9.5/7.5Kw
Produces 61 amps at 220VAC.
Battery and recoil start.
Eight gallon fuel capacity.
I can run to gas stations to refuel cans.  
Cost $699 thru Cabelas (includes Champion warranty and Cabelas great return policy).

Priceless to run Christmas lights,
watch the Super Bowl in February
and bake ham while power.
Power was out for nearly 7 days!

Best money spent!
Much luck.
View Quote

61 amps at 220VAC = 13,420 Watts
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
15,400w of panels currently. Two arrays, one of 40 Huyandai panels and one of eight Canadian Solar bifacial panels. In the summer it's about 90kwh/day production on average. In the winter it should be just under 60kwh/day.

40 Huyandai panels.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20240304_174236_jpg-3251559.JPG

Eight Canadian Solar panels.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20240119_172949_jpg-3251560.JPG

Both racks are elevated so I can park my vehicles under them.

I posted pics of the batteries and inverters earlier.

I have a chargeverter that is wired in to feed the batteries from my 9kw Predator generator. I have an outside 240v 30amp plug that is wired to the chargeverter. If for some reason the grid is down and weather has been nasty a few days, I can run a steady flow from the generator into the batteries and inverters. This is much more fuel efficient than running larger generators. I have the generator mounted on a cart so it can be toted out of the shed easily.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/1000009617_jpg-3251571.JPG

You can see my 6ga feed for the third inverter waiting to be installed in the breaker box. I'll probably hook it up next week when I get some free time.
View Quote

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I just finished installing a Generac 24kw myself. My house is a new build, so I didn’t have to go through the hassle of rewiring or having the power disconnected. Install wasn’t complicated at all, the only hard part was pulling the wires through the conduit. Definitely helps having a second set of hands.
Generac 24kw, Transfers witch, battery, and pad was $7,200 shipped to me. Included a 10 year warranty.
Cost to run 850ft  gas line and new meter install was $3,200.
Electrical supplies around $500.
Black iron pipe from meter to generator around $200.

All in for about $11,100 doing all the work myself excluding new gas meter install.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Yesterday got away from me. I have a 150A service that isn't getting upgraded. I currently have an Interlock kit and a Generac GP6500 portable. I usually keep enough gas to run it for about 48 hours. I typically will not run it at night. I also have two Eco Flow Delta 2. One is rock solid, and the other is getting ready for a warranty claim. 2.5T AC, Elec Water Heater, Gas Range, two fridges/ freezers, and a 350W average are always on electric devices. According to my Sense, my max peak continuous draw is around 20,000 W. That's with everything on AC, Dryer, Water Heater, Dishwasher, and charging the Jeep (PHEV).

I would love to do solar with a battery, but not at this home. I will look into a 22-24 KW generator with ATS. I would also love to install some power walls or similar for time-of-use load shedding. However, that would be a big jump in cost.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I get by with a Yamaha 6300isde and a transfer switch, will run everything but the hvac.

I’d love to have a 1800rpm diesel whole house genny setup but can’t justify the costs.

The generacs people are talking about are riding mower engines bolted to a generator and have terrible fuel economy, lp or ng. You are paying for the convenience and long term storage properties of those fuels. I lol at some of the prices posted.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I get by with a Yamaha 6300isde and a transfer switch, will run everything but the hvac.

I'd love to have a 1800rpm diesel whole house genny setup but can't justify the costs.

The generacs people are talking about are riding mower engines bolted to a generator and have terrible fuel economy, lp or ng. You are paying for the convenience and long term storage properties of those fuels. I lol at some of the prices posted.
View Quote
My 18kw whole house burns 1.7 gal of LP/hour at 50% load.

I own a lot of diesel equipment, these days fuel quality and long term storage is a serious issue. LP can sit for years with no degradation. It's really the ideal backup generator fuel source.

If the genset were to run frequently I could see diesel but for residential emergency backup LP is the better choice, especially in cold climates.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top