BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure it's going to depend on the size and design, but for a given size they are usually a lot quieter.  And there's a good bit of overlap in the larger air cooled and smaller liquid cooled.  You have a point on the NG though. That upgrade can get expensive.
View Quote

I originally planned on installing a liquid cooled Gen but Columbia gas wanted 1K to upgrade my 23 year old gas meter.
I refuse to pay 1K for their equipment so I can buy more of their product.

After thinking realistically about how many outages I have encountered over the years I really do not need a Gen to run non-stop for days and went with a large air cooled standby. Running full RPM it's really not bad sounding wise. For the added cost of liquid cooled units you could almost have another air cooled standby new in the box.

The important thing is that you have a working Gen of some type.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Should have mine with its 200 gallon diesel tank installed in its new shed and wired up by Nov 1st.

Mines a heavy duty 10kw, 4 cyl military diesel generator.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Should have mine with its 200 gallon diesel tank installed in its new shed and wired up by Nov 1st.

Mines a heavy duty 10kw, 4 cyl military diesel generator.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/IMG_6892_jpeg-3251763.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/IMG_6891_jpeg-3251764.JPG
View Quote
are a lot of the mil surplus gensets a weird voltage or frequency or something?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have the same issue. I looked into Generac whole home and they werent too badly priced until it turned out installation was as much or more than the unit. We have propane  not natural gas. It was almost 15grand complete so I just bought a portable generator and had a sub panel installed for around $2,000 total. I would much prefer the whole house but it was too rich for my blood
View Quote

This is exactly the situation I am in -- $15,000 for a whole house gen ($6500 for the gen, $8500 for the install) was too much.

I'll just have to make do with a couple small gas generators.

Edited to add:   I'm not sure where people are getting these deals -- at $10k installed, I would have gone for it too.   But in two different cities and two different states, the quoted cost was the same - $15k installed.   Tried to piecemeal it, but was even worse.  $4800 for the part/install of an automatic transfer switch, $2900 for the manual one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is exactly the situation I am in -- $15,000 for a whole house gen ($6500 for the gen, $8500 for the install) was too much.

Edited to add:   I'm not sure where people are getting these deals -- at $10k installed, I would have gone for it too.   But in two different cities and two different states, the quoted cost was the same - $15k installed.
View Quote
How can you get bye with a couple small gas gens but need a 24K generac?  24K is $6500.  You might have a 200 amp service to your house but you don't use 200 amps, especially in an emergency.  Oversizing your generator isn't a good idea, you'll burn more fuel at partial loads than a properly sized genset. giving you less run time per stored fuel amount.  I have a pretty modest house but I can run everything on an 18K.  I have LP hot water but electric stove.  The stove will load up the generator but it runs it fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How can you get bye with a couple small gas gens but need a 24K generac?  24K is $6500.  You might have a 200 amp service to your house but you don't use 200 amps, especially in an emergency.  Oversizing your generator isn't a good idea, you'll burn more fuel at partial loads than a properly sized genset. giving you less run time per stored fuel amount.  I have a pretty modest house but I can run everything on an 18K.  I have LP hot water but electric stove.  The stove will load up the generator but it runs it fine.
View Quote

I do agree with you -- it was only a 20k Generac in my quotes.   Price of the generator was the smallest portion of the cost and dropping down to the 18k was only very slightly less.   Install was the same price regardless of what size gen.   The same generators at Costco were cheaper but of course the electrician will only install the ones HE sells, despite it being the identical unit.

And when I say "get by" on some stand alone gens, I don't mean "run the house" but rather run extension cords to keep the fridge and freezer operational and a few floor lamps and plug in fans.   Very suboptimal setup but may be enough for an emergency.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Edited to add:   I'm not sure where people are getting these deals -- at $10k installed, I would have gone for it too.   But in two different cities and two different states, the quoted cost was the same - $15k installed.   Tried to piecemeal it, but was even worse.  $4800 for the part/install of an automatic transfer switch, $2900 for the manual one.
View Quote
Right now you can buy a 24k generac with the switch for 6500.  Where it can get pricey is fuel source. Natgas you might need a new regulator, so call it 6k installed.  Propane is 5k for a tank and then 5k ish to install everything.  That's your 15k. You could lease the tank to cut down on up front costs, but that's a judgement call based on your propane vendor.

I did an 18k because that was sufficient for my needs, and already had propane service on site. I came in around 8.5k installed because my panel box was in good shape, I staged the gen very close to the service entrance and my Propane also entered at that location.  It's not ideal from an asthetic standpoint but all the mechanicals are on that wall of the house so it was a good compromise.

If you need propane service installed, want it in a particular location away from the house, ypur panel is older and wont meet code etc it's going to get spendy
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
they have multiple places advertising 12-13k installed for 20-24kw generacs but that's for "standard install" which includes only above the ground wiring and gas hook up to 20 ft.  I have a neighbor that had gas and electric on the same exterior wall, and the install was ~2500 and the generator was 7k. So he got by at 10k but had to cut and remove his own bushes.

In my case, we aren't allowed to have PVC, conduit etc exposed on the side of the house, so I have to get it trenched which ended up being 7800 dollars worth of install labor and materials plus 7k for the generator, I was quoted 20-25k from other "larger named" places.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they have multiple places advertising 12-13k installed for 20-24kw generacs but that's for "standard install" which includes only above the ground wiring and gas hook up to 20 ft.  I have a neighbor that had gas and electric on the same exterior wall, and the install was ~2500 and the generator was 7k. So he got by at 10k but had to cut and remove his own bushes.

In my case, we aren't allowed to have PVC, conduit etc exposed on the side of the house, so I have to get it trenched which ended up being 7800 dollars worth of install labor and materials plus 7k for the generator, I was quoted 20-25k from other "larger named" places.
View Quote

I rented a trencher for the 150ft i had to run....
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Right now you can buy a 24k generac with the switch for 6500.  Where it can get pricey is fuel source. Natgas you might need a new regulator, so call it 6k installed.  Propane is 5k for a tank and then 5k ish to install everything.  That's your 15k. You could lease the tank to cut down on up front costs, but that's a judgement call based on your propane vendor.

I did an 18k because that was sufficient for my needs, and already had propane service on site. I came in around 8.5k installed because my panel box was in good shape, I staged the gen very close to the service entrance and my Propane also entered at that location.  It's not ideal from an asthetic standpoint but all the mechanicals are on that wall of the house so it was a good compromise.

If you need propane service installed, want it in a particular location away from the house, ypur panel is older and wont meet code etc it's going to get spendy
View Quote

Wow, I guess things are cheap in NY.

My prices were from LV and Southern Utah.   $15,000 is the number in both places, and that's with a  20k gen (18k was about $500 less), auto switch, and about a 20 ft run of the nat gas pipe and electrical to the house feeds, both on the same side of the house as where the gen was going to go.   I tried to get quotes from some smaller companies, but could not even get them to show up for the quote.  (I am within city limits, not out in the sticks)   Guess everyone has more work than they can handle with all the building going on around here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, I guess things are cheap in NY.

My prices were from LV and Southern Utah.   $15,000 is the number in both places, and that's with a  20k gen (18k was about $500 less), auto switch, and about a 20 ft run of the nat gas pipe and electrical to the house feeds, both on the same side of the house as where the gen was going to go.   I tried to get quotes from some smaller companies, but could not even get them to show up for the quote.  (I am within city limits, not out in the sticks)   Guess everyone has more work than they can handle with all the building going on around here.
View Quote
could be, I live in a pretty rural area in a depressed (most of NY is) area.  Residential electrical is pretty reasonable, industrial....yeah go fuck yourself.

So call it 6K for the generator, and then 9K for the install and running 20 feet of natgas piping?  Wow. That's essentially similar to my install.  depending on the pad you are putting it on, it's an 8 hour day for two guys if they don't fuck around. pull out the couple grand material cost, and that's still pretty damned good money. Like over $400/man hr.   Is that the going rate for rez elechickens these days?  

Remote switch or adjacent to your main panel?  Mine is 2 feet from my main, which is now actually a sub, so by NEC they have to separate grounds and nuetrals in the former main panel.  If the switch is remote that can add cost especially if your service is underground to your house.  Basically I did all the research, chose the most cost effective install and told the sparkies what I wanted.  There wasn't a lot of room for bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I rented a trencher for the 150ft i had to run....
View Quote

Im not about to run gas or electric myself. mostly b/c I don't want to mess anything up, on top of that, I have an irrigation system that they will have to figure out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Im not about to run gas or electric myself. mostly b/c I don't want to mess anything up, on top of that, I have an irrigation system that they will have to figure out.
View Quote
It's really not a big deal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
We put in a 22kw Honeywell (Generac) 8 years back via Costco. A propane unit as we have an LP furnace as backup heat for the 5 ton heat pump. The year after install we added a second 500 gallon LP tank (both are self owned).

Zero issues. We do annual maint. via the installer & have a 10 year warranty that was a promotion at the time when installed. We have had roughly 220 hrs worth of outage since install. Full tanks would cover about 30 days without conservation. Much longer if runtime was limited to the time needed to keep fridge & freezer contents intact, meal prep & water use (private well).  The gen was sized to accommodate heat pump operation.  AC (or heat) is a nice thing during a protracted outage.

If interested, there is an archived thread with info & pictures of our install
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Standby-Generator---ETA--installed--up-and-running-/22-686565/?page=1
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're going big, look into a liquid-cooled unit.  They should run at half speed (1800 rpm) and be much quieter.
View Quote

Size doesn't matter they all should be 1800 rpm liquid or air cooled.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Size doesn't matter they all should be 1800 rpm liquid or air cooled.
View Quote

Air cooled Generacs are 3600rpm
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 18kw whole house burns 1.7 gal of LP/hour at 50% load.

I own a lot of diesel equipment, these days fuel quality and long term storage is a serious issue. LP can sit for years with no degradation. It's really the ideal backup generator fuel source.

If the genset were to run frequently I could see diesel but for residential emergency backup LP is the better choice, especially in cold climates.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get by with a Yamaha 6300isde and a transfer switch, will run everything but the hvac.

I'd love to have a 1800rpm diesel whole house genny setup but can't justify the costs.

The generacs people are talking about are riding mower engines bolted to a generator and have terrible fuel economy, lp or ng. You are paying for the convenience and long term storage properties of those fuels. I lol at some of the prices posted.
My 18kw whole house burns 1.7 gal of LP/hour at 50% load.

I own a lot of diesel equipment, these days fuel quality and long term storage is a serious issue. LP can sit for years with no degradation. It's really the ideal backup generator fuel source.

If the genset were to run frequently I could see diesel but for residential emergency backup LP is the better choice, especially in cold climates.

I've had number of diesel gens, commercial applications. They get serviced and diesel is replaced once a year. Algicide, various flow solutions. Agree, not residential friendly.

Couple propane backups have never been used. Need to check dates but it's been years (in one case nearing 20) serviced and inspected but no idea if there's been a swap out - I'm almost certain not and there'll be no degradation to the C3H8 but tank degradation can cause issues.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I just lost power again.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#19]
they broke ground today, will lay the cement pad today and order the frame to go on top of that. Tomorrow they will install the panel. And will trench next week. They will have to wait for the city to inspect the lines before they fill in the dirt
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just finished installing a Generac 24kw myself. My house is a new build, so I didn’t have to go through the hassle of rewiring or having the power disconnected. Install wasn’t complicated at all, the only hard part was pulling the wires through the conduit. Definitely helps having a second set of hands.
Generac 24kw, Transfers witch, battery, and pad was $7,200 shipped to me. Included a 10 year warranty.
Cost to run 850ft  gas line and new meter install was $3,200.
Electrical supplies around $500.
Black iron pipe from meter to generator around $200.

All in for about $11,100 doing all the work myself excluding new gas meter install.
View Quote

Where did you order yours from.  I have two 200amp transfer switches already installed. Just need the genny and connect to existing gas line 20 ft away.

Reality is how many kw I actually need.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Running on generator at the moment.
Hottest days of the year so far and it's nice to still have AC with no extra effort...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top