BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.enworld.org/media/boo-boo-this-man-gif.111674/full

You know the difference between Porsche owners and Ferrari owners? Ferrari owners brag about how few miles their car has, Porsche owners brag about how many.
View Quote

Pretty true!  I have 199K miles on my 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera and it still drives like a dream, fun, and not for a lot of cash.  I will get a GT in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The first graphic is from 2017. The second is from 2022.

The bar for newer cars is low because BMW has free maintenance programs.

And if there are any prevailing trends in the automotive industry the last several years, it's that the pandemic, the global supply chain shortages, labor issues, and escalating emissions standards have resulted in dramatically improved reliability. Oh wait...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The first graphic is from 2017. The second is from 2022.

The bar for newer cars is low because BMW has free maintenance programs.

And if there are any prevailing trends in the automotive industry the last several years, it's that the pandemic, the global supply chain shortages, labor issues, and escalating emissions standards have resulted in dramatically improved reliability. Oh wait...

The first graphic clearly shows the repair costs for new BMWs is much lower than the older ones.   The "2022" bar is apparently for ALL models, right?  

The bar for newer cars is low because the current 4cyl and 6cyl and 8spd transmissions are very reliable.  Most complaints are the glitchy infotainment system, etc.

Quoted:

My wife's G30 begs to differ with you....Oil cannister housing completely failed puking out all the oil, unknow if there's internal damage. Oil change was just performed by shop (thank God) so it could be incompetency or it could be design flaw at t his point. Still, we've had a lot of issues with that car so never again for the brand.

G30?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Porsche 911. (996.2)
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth.  It a 2019 model.

It’s a great little car.  Fun to drive, looks great, and not a ton of cash.

I wanted something to drive so I wouldn’t put more miles on my 911.  This little car really puts a smile on your face.

Cheers,

AJP
View Quote

Isn't that just a rebadged Miata?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My wife's G30 begs to differ with you....Oil cannister housing completely failed puking out all the oil, unknow if there's internal damage. Oil change was just performed by shop (thank God) so it could be incompetency or it could be design flaw at t his point. Still, we've had a lot of issues with that car so never again for the brand.
View Quote

Stop posting internet shit!
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
VW GTI or Golf R.  Auto is faster, manual more fun.  I have a 17' GTI with stage 1 tune and intake, it's light and nimble and in sport mode still averages 26mpg and I drive fast most of the time. Car handles twisty stuff really well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The first graphic clearly shows the repair costs for new BMWs is much lower than the older ones.   The "2022" bar is apparently for ALL models, right?  

The bar for newer cars is low because the current 4cyl and 6cyl and 8spd transmissions are very reliable.  Most complaints are the glitchy infotainment system, etc.

G30?
View Quote

Model code for 2017-2023 5-Series. This is with the B58 engine which is supposedly bulletproof.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Isn't that just a rebadged Miata?
View Quote

No.

ETA they are similar.  But it goes beyond rebadged.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't know what the fuck a G30 is, but his personal anecdote is still internet shit to me, lol.

Quoted:

Model code for 2017-2023 5-Series. This is with the B58 engine which is supposedly bulletproof.

You couldn't have just said "my wife's 5 series"?

Sorry to hear about your car.  It doesn't mean that the entire brand is unreliable.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pretty true!  I have 199K miles on my 1999 Porsche 911 Carrera and it still drives like a dream, fun, and not for a lot of cash.  I will get a GT in the near future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.enworld.org/media/boo-boo-this-man-gif.111674/full

You know the difference between Porsche owners and Ferrari owners? Ferrari owners brag about how few miles their car has, Porsche owners brag about how many.

Nice! I’m closing in on 250k for my 1982 SC. Hopefully I can get it to 500k before I die or pass it on to one of my sons.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He wants reliable.  BMW isn’t exactly the pinnacle of reliability.

There are 20 better choices for 25K out there.

That particular car is probably fine.  BMW reliability in the earlier part of the century wasn't great, current gen engines and transmissions (not the v8s) are reliable.

Stop re-posting internet shit.

lol

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/n9I8zLhC1JXH7rPMeEtIvA--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTExMzA-/https://media.zenfs.com/en-US/homerun/consumer_reports_810/3bab022e54e54fce1b94e24525f19218

https://www.crsautomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2-Car-Maintenance-Costs-After-150.000-Miles-brown.png

How bout you guys exchange numbers and argue somewhere else.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

First day in GD?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]
E36 or E46 M3. Either should leave some room in your budget for necessary upgrades/maintenance and then just enjoy the scream of the I6.

Both are less complicated BMWs with a plethora of online DIY information. Parts are also cheap too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

DON’T YOU GUYS BE HAVING DISCUSSIONS IN GENERAL DISCUSSION.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were OP I’d only be looking for a Cayman.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I may be having a midlife crisis but I'm trying to keep things reasonable.  I'm bored with my daily driver, just a basic Hyundai Tucson, and I'd like to get into something that's more fun to drive while still being largely reliable.  I don't have any particular body style in mind, everything from coupes to trucks, just no soft-top convertibles.

I've done the modified Japanese cars in my youth and I'm not looking for that.  I'd like things to be stock or mostly stock.  I also don't want to look like I borrowed a car from a 21 year old.  I get that Miatas are great drivers cars but nope, still looks gay when I see a guy driving one anywhere but on a track.

What do you guys have actual first hand experience with that might fit my wants.  Good milage would be a plus but now I'm looking for a unicorn.
View Quote
GTI
BRZ/FRS
Used Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Challenger/Charger
Used aforementioned w/4 cylinder or 6 cylinder option for <$20k fun
WRX
Civic Si
Focus ST/RS
Fiesta ST
Miata (yea IK you said no)
C5 Corvette
C6 Corvette
BMW 335/340i
Short Bed Single Cab V8 truck - aftermarket supercharger optional, plus added benefit of utility
Nissan 370Z
Porsche Boxster/Cayman

Pick whatever brand/drivetrain layout/engine type you'd like. They all have weak spots, there is no "Toyota Camry of reliability" sports car. They're all pretty stout though. You don't seem too risk averse since you drive a shitbox Korean appliance that are known to lunch engines, so you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

DON’T YOU GUYS BE HAVING DISCUSSIONS IN GENERAL DISCUSSION.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Mustang GT of some variety
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you wanting to look cooky, or do you want a fun car to drive? For the money nothing is more fun than a miata. Since you just care about looks (your own words) just buy a older Mercedes AMG. Gobs of power and people who don't understand depreciation will think you're rich.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
5th or 6th gen camaro ss with the 1LE package.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Some decent suggestions in here.  I want to stay on the newer side of things, I don't want to spend $25K on a 20 year old car.  Automatic or stick is fine.  I'm not really into "muscle cars" of any era.

I don't have any interest in a Corvette that I can afford, C8s are way out of my league.

I've owned BMWs and wrench on them for customers.  I'd prefer a vehicle that doesn't start leaking oil as soon as the warranty runs out.  Every BMW I've ever touched that had 70k miles was leaking/seaping everywhere it could. The interiors and plastics falling apart isn't a great thing either.

Mercedes used to be the better choice between the 2 but I can't speak for the newer stuff.  I know there were some bad engines in the mid2000s but I'm sure that has been corrected, although 2 years ago I dropped an OEM MB crate motor into an SLK for a customer and the engine had internal camshaft problems right out of the crate so maybe QC has dropped.

I know Hondas are typically very reliable but I hate the look of the newer Civic Si.

I have zero experience with Porsche so I don't have a clue about their reliablity, common failures, or parts cost for the things that do fail.

While I'm perfectly capable of wrenching and I've got a lift, I don't want to HAVE to wrench on my own for anything more than basic maintenance.

I do love GD though.  I ask for reasonably priced and reliable and I get recommendations of Jags and Ferraris.  Why didn't you guys also mention Land Rover and Maserati?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But he said “reliable”. Used BMW is neither cheap nor reliable.
View Quote

Oh here we go again
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Porsche Boxster.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Miata would be a perfect fit for you, they make them with automatics.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#31]
98-02 Camaro Z28/SS or T/A formula/ram air/fire hawk. The 6 speed cars came with 3.42s, 4.10s are a much better gear for them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Miata. Stop being gay.
Fiat 124
Cayman
Boxster
Corvette
86/BRZ

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd be looking at one of the newer Turbo Inline 6 powered BMW coupes....the newest I could afford.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you drive a BMW? Otherwise, isn’t your opinion “internet shit”?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you drive a BMW? Otherwise, isn’t your opinion “internet shit”?

To you it should be, yes.  That's how this works.  Did you think you were going to zing me with this?  Nice try.

Someone on the internet that I don't know validated my opinion!  Time to break out the memes!

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
A C6 Vette falls squarely into that budget.

Having owned one with a supercharger a few years ago...  Id say they are the best thing you can buy for $25k
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Mini Cooper S or John Cooper Works. Cheap, lightweight and believe it or not the Gen3 and up are decently reliable. I bought an F56 mini because my daughter asked me to teach her straight drive and I've been shocked at how much fun the mini with 6-speed is.

Fun fact: The new F66 mini just won it's class in the 24hrs of Nurburgring a couple weeks ago with John Cooper's grandson as one of the drivers.
https://www.motoringfile.com/2024/05/31/mini-is-debuting-its-new-jcw-at-the-nurburgring-24-hours-heres-how-you-can-watch/
https://www.motoringfile.com/2024/06/03/the-2025-f66-mini-cooper-jcw-wins-its-class-at-the-nurburgring-24-hours/

Lots of other good suggestions already but the Mini definitely fits the bill IMO.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#37]
2017 ish WRX.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Fun AND reliable?
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Lotus Elise

Civic type R

Alfa Romeo 4C

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#40]
How about a Dodge Stealth R/T twin turbo
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some decent suggestions in here.  I want to stay on the newer side of things, I don't want to spend $25K on a 20 year old car.  Automatic or stick is fine.  I'm not really into "muscle cars" of any era.

I don't have any interest in a Corvette that I can afford, C8s are way out of my league.

I've owned BMWs and wrench on them for customers.  I'd prefer a vehicle that doesn't start leaking oil as soon as the warranty runs out.  Every BMW I've ever touched that had 70k miles was leaking/seaping everywhere it could. The interiors and plastics falling apart isn't a great thing either.

Mercedes used to be the better choice between the 2 but I can't speak for the newer stuff.  I know there were some bad engines in the mid2000s but I'm sure that has been corrected, although 2 years ago I dropped an OEM MB crate motor into an SLK for a customer and the engine had internal camshaft problems right out of the crate so maybe QC has dropped.

I know Hondas are typically very reliable but I hate the look of the newer Civic Si.

I have zero experience with Porsche so I don't have a clue about their reliablity, common failures, or parts cost for the things that do fail.

While I'm perfectly capable of wrenching and I've got a lift, I don't want to HAVE to wrench on my own for anything more than basic maintenance.

I do love GD though.  I ask for reasonably priced and reliable and I get recommendations of Jags and Ferraris.  Why didn't you guys also mention Land Rover and Maserati?
View Quote

The 370Z should probably be your front runner with the Toyota 86 somewhere behind it.

If you're considering wrong wheel drive stuff, you might look at VW and Ford hot hatches. Those won't be spectacularly reliable, but they shouldn't be too bad, either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't know what the fuck a G30 is, but his personal anecdote is still internet shit to me, lol.

You couldn't have just said "my wife's 5 series"?

Sorry to hear about your car.  It doesn't mean that the entire brand is unreliable.

View Quote

I used the correct nomenclature for that generation of 5-Series, not my fault you don't know it.

As for reliability of said brand, when Audi's are known more for their reliability you know you have an issue. It's a shame because on paper BMW's are great cars as long as you're under factory warranty, this is why resale absolutely takes a nose dive on a 3 yr old model. While the B58 engine and transmission are, for BMW, bulletproof the rest of the car isn't, don't even get me started on the collision mitigation system that we had to have every sensor replaced on and central processor re-flashed twice.  Kind of wish we had gotten rid of it several years ago but my wife "had" to have that car, the silver lining here is she now admits I was right about BMW all along and wished she has listened to my Lexus suggestion. At least I insisted on the extended warranty so I'm mostly covered, still no telling when we'll have it back repaired.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
5th or 6th gen camaro ss with the 1LE package.
View Quote

Good luck finding a 1LE car of either generation for $25k. Well, maybe a 5th gen if it's got a million miles on it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I used the correct nomenclature for that generation of 5-Series, not my fault you don't know it.

As for reliability of said brand, when Audi's are known more for their reliability you know you have an issue. It's a shame because on paper BMW's are great cars as long as you're under factory warranty, this is why resale absolutely takes a nose dive on a 3 yr old model. While the B58 engine and transmission are, for BMW, bulletproof the rest of the car isn't, don't even get me started on the collision mitigation system that we had to have every sensor replaced on and central processor re-flashed twice.  Kind of wish we had gotten rid of it several years ago but my wife "had" to have that car, the silver lining here is she now admits I was right about BMW all along and wished she has listened to my Lexus suggestion. At least I insisted on the extended warranty so I'm mostly covered, still no telling when we'll have it back repaired.
View Quote

"known"

See, I "know" the opposite.
Also, the nomenclature (I actually thought it might be the BMW internal numbering for something, but I didn't know what, for instance mine is a G01) isn't great when you're dealing with the great unwashed.  "5 Series" means a lot more to more people.

Also, I'm bored with this whole "BMWs are unreliable" thing.  GD has SPOKE and BMWS ARE SHIT forever more now.

Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I really enjoyed my 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe. It's a great looking car, nice interior, not all that common on the road. I test drove one while my Mercedes coupe was in the shop for maintenance. If you like the driving experience, this could be a good one to look at or at least test drive.

A really good later model one can be had around the $25K mark.  Low miles and no accidents. I had mine for 2.5 years.  Things that actually broke over that time is a small list.  One wheel speed sensor, one electronic rear strut, and a serpentine belt. Preventive maintenance is the key, and frequent oil changes.

A few minor mods can really wake up the car, such as charge pipe, downpipe, and tune.   I still got nearly 28 mpg at 80+mph on a long road trip.

I only sold it because I am a glutton for punishment and wanted more power.  Sold it to get into an M6.  Same car with the 560 HP twin turbo V8.  

I daily drive a BMW X5 with the similar I6 as the 640i.  In the last two years, I had to replace the valve cover gasket. It's also tuned, with billet charge pipe, catless downpipe, and larger intercooler.  Handles well for an SUV, sounds pretty good without the cats, and scoots you along in comfort.  It has 80K miles, out of warranty, but has been rock solid.

I also had solid performance and reliability from a number of Mercedes performance sedan. E55's are some of my favorite rides.  

Everyone can have a bad car experience with any brand. My worst was my Mercedes GL550.  I might as well just lit $100 bills on fire.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Just go drive a Miata
Then get back to us

I have had a bunch of hot cars over the years

My NC Miata is the most fun car of them all
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"known"

See, I "know" the opposite.
Also, the nomenclature (I actually thought it might be the BMW internal numbering for something, but I didn't know what, for instance mine is a G01) isn't great when you're dealing with the great unwashed.  "5 Series" means a lot more to more people.

Also, I'm bored with this whole "BMWs are unreliable" thing.  GD has SPOKE and BMWS ARE SHIT forever more now.

View Quote

Don't put the BMW on the pedestal....Just how you "know," go ahead and detail your BMW ownership? Year, number of miles, what preventative maintenance?

For the record I've owned an two Audis, the current BMW and a current Porsche so I think I'm qualified to talk about overall build and reliability of all three brands. The Bimmer is by far the worse not to mention overly complex so when repair is required it's expensive but it's great your experience has been the opposite. I hope it stays that way but IMO after 50K Bimmers are a ticking time bomb.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
C5, S197 or S550 Mustang.

Just curious what your objection to the Miata is?  Probably the most fun to drive at your price point and you could get a pretty newish one for that money.
View Quote

Girl car.  Humiliating.  Boring daily driver.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder?  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top