Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Did all of my helo flying time on Hueys, Chinooks, and Blackhawks.  It's not even close...UH1 for me, please.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I loved the ch47, comfy like riding on a train.

Been a passenger in the nh90 or uh90 or whatever It Is called, we went even with open doors like a Vietnam movie with a couple guys sitting with legs hanging out. wasn't a fan of that, they said also to be careful as It was untested for soldiers with full combat loads and floor or ramp could be damaged. I'd rather Jump from It as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I've rode in the back of CH-46s, -53s, a -47, Mi-8s, and HH-60s. As someone else posted, it was akin to being cargo. But, the most fun, was in a Huey with the open doors.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
A Huey over the Cobra rocket range at Fort Hood, Summer of '75.
A couple of tours in Hawaii with two different companies.  Don't know the chopper.
A tour of the Grand Canyon via a helo I can not identify.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The only one, it does tours on Kauai.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Strela:
Blackhawk was comfy. Huey for the nostalgia.
View Quote
This. Chinook was like a flying bus.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
AH-64 Apache...

Ok ok, I didn't ride in it, but I got to sit in one when I was at an airshow as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The Medevac one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#9]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
The Medevac one.
View Quote

Yep, my fav is the last one I got off safe. If I'm on a helo, prolly something bad has happened. At least unplanned. I'm not a fan of beating the air into submission.

Attachment Attached File

I have no idea what I've ridden in or loaded. Just glad someone is more foolish than I am and willing to come.

Thank you all Pilots and Crews

Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Been in a mb105 a 212,ch53, md500 but my favorite is the 105
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I never got tired of riding in crashhawks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only flown in one of these during the Mariel Boat Lift.

Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2024 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Most fun…OH58C in the summer, no doors, from Ft. Wainwright. Landing in lakes, on glaciers, NOE in the Tanana Flats, and all over the White Mountains.  “Observing” buffalo roaming down at Delta Junction!    Life was good. and I was paid to do it!!!

Best deal….bare bones support at Korat for Cobra Gold….AF out of Kunsan ran everything, controlled everything.  But if you asked nice and offered a UH1H ride….bluesuiters would help you load almost anything you wanted…but for the really hard to find support….nobody will turn down a front seat AH1F bunny ride. In the humid summer, with the ECS blasting icicles!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2024 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MK4Mod0:
I've only flown in one of these during the Mariel Boat Lift.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25600/HH-52A_Seaguard_with_rescue_basket__crop-3333375.jpg

View Quote

I was at Group Detroit during the Mariel Boat Lift.  They wanted me to TAD to Comm Sta Miami for the duration.  

I told my chief I was short and wanted no part of that crap, so they sent someone else.    I'm sure I missed out.
Link Posted: Today 4:19:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ninjaman] [#16]
I've been in two.  The only one I've flown in was a tourist helo (type unknown to me) when I took my then girlfriend (and wife to be) to Hawaii during a Christmas shutdown week.  It was the first helo and only helo flight for either of us.

But my favorite helo I've ever been in was an AH-1W-Super-Cobra.  

I was a civilian Electronics Engineer for the Navy.  Got to sit in the front and help a Marine finish a test for a system I worked with.  
It's been decades but I recall that he was taking me to an area for a meeting I had and asked me if I could help him finish up, because he was running behind.  

I was thinking to myself, "Yeah, twist my arm. I'll climb in there!"  

It was kind of funny before that.  I'd checked in with a Marine Major.  I'd flown from Florida where it was still warm for that time of the year.  I honestly can't remember where this was, but I think China Lake.  All I know is
I was expecting the weather to not be so cold but it was pretty cold and I hadn't brought a jacket.  The Major wanted me to take his jacket as I'd be outside.  I kept telling him I'd be OK but he insisted.  

So the Marine came and got me and we were heading toward the helo, and he asked me about the jacket.  I told him the Major insisted I wear it as I hadn't brought a jacket.

He goes, " Yeah, I'm going is this guy a pilot?!?!?"      No offence from me.  I'm pretty nerdy and we had a laugh about it.

This would have been back around the time of Desert Storm.

I loved working for the Navy.  I got to see and do so many things that I wouldn't have been able to see or do otherwise.

Link Posted: Today 4:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Bell 47 The most amazing visibility I have ever experienced in an aircraft.   Fish bowl description really doesn't do it justice.  It was back in 1993 and it was an old mil bird that was sold and then redone.

Yes the tv show Mash Helicopters.
Link Posted: Today 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Only one I've ever ridden in was a Hughes 269A.
So I guess it's my favorite.
Link Posted: Today 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Jet Ranger, by far.  Seized from a drug dealer in Miami.  The A/C was great!
Link Posted: Today 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Flown in Kiowas, Blackhawk, and Chinooks.  Kiowa was by far my favorite, due to size and view.
Link Posted: Today 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#21]
R-22, but I’ve only ever flown / flown in a R-22, two different R-44’s.
Not a looker by any means, pretty small cockpit as well, 3’ 8” between doors.
Very responsive to control inputs.
Flying doors off, you look down over your shoulder and can see that little skid shaking.
Would love to get a chance to fly in a MD 500
or OH-58.
Link Posted: Today 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
I got to sit in a Cobra once......always liked that bird
View Quote
Same.  Front seat.

I did get one ride in a PA NG Huey years ago.
Link Posted: Today 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
CH47, hands down
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top