Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2009 9:12:59 AM EDT
I found a 40 mm MK2 shell at my Dad's house this weekend, with an 10-43 date on it.

Does anyone know what did the USN use this particular round for in WWII?

ETA: It has a ship anchor emblem on the bottom, so I assume that means USN ordnance?

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Low level  air defense, thinks Bofors gun
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Bofors

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.htm

Looks like the Mk2 is the US designation for the HE shell
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Bofors Quad 40.  My Dad probably handled hundreds, if not thousands, of these rounds during WWII.

For the first part of the war he was a loader on a quad 40 gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
40 mike mike were cool, man.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a big-ass bullet. Wouldn't .50 be more than enough for the kinds of planes that were being shot down? It would seem you could sling more lead into the air with more and smaller cartridges.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a big-ass bullet. Wouldn't .50 be more than enough for the kinds of planes that were being shot down? It would seem you could sling more lead into the air with more and smaller cartridges.

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that thing is going to majorly outrange a .50, not to mention the whole "explosive warhead" part.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that thing is going to majorly outrange a .50, not to mention the whole "explosive warhead" part.

Shooting airburst munitions at planes is a heck of a lot more effective than .50.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I think this is where the term "the whole nine yards" came from.

Because those rounds came strung together in 9 yard segments, and when in an intense fight, they would fire off "the whole nine yards"
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Our ships used to have .50s in the early days of ww2. They were too small and too short ranged to have any effect on attacking planes, especially since their torpedoes and bombs were released from much farther away than the .50s effective range. The best AAA we had were the radar directed 5 inch DP guns and 40mm shooting proximity fused ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Because those rounds came strung together in 9 yard segments, and when in an intense fight, they would fire off "the whole nine yards"

Actually, that was with .50 cal bandoleers used in fighter aircraft.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I would have brought that shell home with me now.

Hope it is still there next trip, we are all divining up my Dad's possessions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our ships used to have .50s in the early days of ww2. They were too small and too short ranged to have any effect on attacking planes, especially since their torpedoes and bombs were released much farther away. The best AAA we had were the radar directed 5 inch DP guns and 40mm shooting proximity fused ammunition.

Yep. .50s were phased out pretty quickly by the 20mm Oerlikon for close air defence. And the 20mm was pretty much useless when the kamikaze threat emerged. Not powerful enough to stop planes before they hit the ship.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, that was with .50 cal bandoleers used in fighter aircraft.

yup..40 mil Bofors came on 4 round stripper clips
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You don't suppose it might have anything  to do with a far greater range and a big ass, exploding bullet do you?

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Ah, I didn't know that those rounds were explosive , but it does make sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Like someone already said, the 40mm Bofors has a lot more reach than a .50, and they were used with proximity fused HE shells as medium-range AAA. USN ships had a multilayer AAA setup: 5".38 guns, 40mm Bofors, then 20mm and/or 50cal.
Personally, I want to kill a Kamikaze plane while it's as far away as possible. I don't want it close enough that the "wall of lead" from the .50 and 20mm guns becomes the decisive factor. I would much prefer it die of 5" or 40mm HE/VT fire at a couple miles out and a few thousand feet up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
too bad they didnt mount them on half tracks to have a makeshift ifv

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our ships used to have .50s in the early days of ww2. They were too small and too short ranged to have any effect on attacking planes, especially since their torpedoes and bombs were released much farther away. The best AAA we had were the radar directed 5 inch DP guns and 40mm shooting proximity fused ammunition.

Even the 20mm Oerlikon autocannons that replaced the .50 BMGs weren't as effective as the 40mm or 5" at swatting down planes.  The 20mm had a lot more reach (+ explosive shells) than the .50 but still lacking in AA firepower as far as the big ships went.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The M42 "Duster" is just that.  wikipedia link  AFV designed for AA defense.  Too late for WWII or Korea where it might have kicked ass & didn't have radar controlled sighting so kinda useless against jets.  Got a 2nd lease on life in VN as ground support...twin barreled full auto 40mm fire tends to really fvck up massed infantry attacks.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They tried.

The gun + recoil really overloaded and strained the M3 chassis.  While a few were done in the field, they required careful setup and positioning to emplace and fire without issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Be aware of the DD laws if that round is live.  Our bomb guys get calls all the time from families doing exactly what you're doing and finding UXO.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be aware of the DD laws if that round is live.  Our bomb guys get calls all the time from families doing exactly what you're doing and finding UXO.  

It is just the shell, no bullet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It is just the shell, no bullet.[/div]

I am not trying to be a smartass and someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I believe what you have is  'A casing without the shell.'

The word 'bullet' being used in man portable rifles and MG's.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is just the shell, no bullet.[/div]

I am not trying to be a smartass and someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I believe what you have is  'A casing without the shell.'

The word 'bullet' being used in man portable rifles and MG's.

Yes it is a casing, 3 lbs or so.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Still in use on AC-130U gunships - until replaced by a 30mm.  Rumor has it they were wearing out the guns and there are no parts to replace them.  Not to mention ammo is hard to find!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#29]
IIRC, that shell was the inspiration for the following:

Howell Forgy was aboard the USS New Orleans during the Japanese attack. He was a Lieutenant (j.g.) that Sunday morning in December, 1941.

An officer in charge of an ammunition line on the USS New Orleans during the attack said that, "I heard a voice behind me saying, 'Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.' I turned and saw Chaplain Forgy walking toward me, along the line of men. He was patting them on the back and making that remark to cheer and keep them going. I know it helped me a lot, too."

Another lieutenant said that thereafter, when the men heard the song, they would kid Chaplain Forgy about the role he played, encouraging him to set the record straight about who actually said what. According to the same officer the chaplain would decline, modestly claiming he felt, "... the episode should remain a legend, rather than be associated with any particular person." Author McDowell noted that reporters eventually were permitted to interview the men of the USS New Orleans involved in the "ammunition" story. Chaplain Forgy's superior officers set up a meeting with members of the press and at last, the real story of the song and the man who had inspired it was confirmed.

In 1942, a recording by The Merry Macs reached number 8 on the Billboard chart. The 1943 version by Kay Kyser and His Orchestra reached number 1. A portion of the tune is sung while in the Superman cartoon "Jungle Drums," Hitler bows his head from news that Allied forces cut off a major assault of German U-boats. Loesser donated his royalties for sale of the song to the Navy Relief Society.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Still in use on AC-130U gunships - until replaced by a 30mm.  Rumor has it they were wearing out the guns and there are no parts to replace them.  Not to mention ammo is hard to find!

Spooky

I bet they're wearing them out!  Hoorah!

Air Force Cancels 30mm Cannon Project For AC-130U Gunships

Will keep 40 mm, 25 mm guns in service

HURLBURT FIELD, FL –– Air Force Special Operations Command has canceled its plans to install 30 mm Bushmaster cannons on its fleet of AC-130U Spooky gunships, the command’s leadership told Inside the Air Force this past week.

The hopeful plan to install Bushmaster cannons that would use new ammunition and not WW II rounds, such as those used with current 40mm Bofors on the AC-130U gunships, became to much of a hinder on AFSOC's mission to keep the project going.

AFSOC leadership noted problems with the 30 mm's accuracy as the reason for AFSOC putting the plan on the shelf. The installment of the (2) Bushmaster 30 mm cannons on each gunship in the AC-130U fleet would have replaced the 25 mm Gatling guns and 40 mm Bofors cannons. The plan was visioned as providing a way for the CAS aircraft to act more as a airborne sniper with what AFSOC officials call a "two shot", where the gun can be automatically corrected for accuracy after it fires off its first shot on a target. Unfortunately, the test program never produced sufficient results to keep it alive any longer.

According to AFSOC's chief for acquisitions, Brig. Gen. Bradley Heithold, the service recently removed the prototype 30 mm weapons from three of the planes and re-installed their original 40mm cannons, returning these urgently needed planes back to combat. The 30 mms are being removed from the fourth plane right now.

The project has been going on for a year-and-a-half now, and the frustrations with the accuracy of the new Bushmasters has just caused AFSOC to abandon the plan, at least for now on the Spooky's. Officials and gunship crews are not sure why the weapon will not shoot straight. Some possible reasons are that the 30 mm rounds are too small to fly straight and accurate over long distances, after all, the cannon was never intended to shoot thousands of feet up in the air. Another possibility accounting for the weapons inaccuracy is the weapons mountings are not stiff enough for the rapid-fire chain guns, according to Heithold.

The four test aircraft, in addition to having their 40 mm cannons replaced by Bushmasters, had their 25 mm Gatling guns replaced. But since the cancellation of the program, the 25 mm  guns have not been re-installed due to a shortage of parts and ammunition. The driving force for the 30 mm program in the first place was to solve the shortage of 25 mm and 40 mm supplies.

But since the program cancellation, funding has been transferred from the that program to funding for ammo and re-supply of gun parts for the two smaller weapons on the AC-130U.

The rest of the Spooky fleet continues to fly with all three of its guns, the 25 mm, 40 mm, and 105 mm howitzer.

So while the test program has been cancelled for the AC-130, it has turned over the gun system for exploration into whether it would be pursued on the AC-XX next-generation gunship, which is planned for 2018.

On a more time-sensitive note, the command is still looking at a range of guns between the 20 and 40 mms to install on the AC-XX "gunship light" which is likely to be a twin-engine aircraft not unlike the C-27B Joint Cargo Aircraft, of which AFSOC has purchased two in next year's budget for experimentation.

No matter what happens with the AC-130 gunships and their evolution as priceless tools of force in today's world, I am confident that the gunship program will continue to grow as the need for these weapons is recognized in the fights we are in. There really are no other systems like the AC-130, and time and time again, they prove invaluable in Afghanistan and Iraq, and anywhere else where accurate, lethal, and unrelenting force is needed to protect those who need it most.

Below, I have posted two videos relating to the AC-130. The first wo videos explain the weapon systems aboard the AC-130U Spooky (including the 30 mm Bushmaster). The third video explains the use of gunships in today's world and how their constant need above the battlefield is putting pressure on the aging airframes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top