Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2012 8:07:06 PM EDT
I have read that Colt shipped at least some of their Match Target rifles with MODIFIED M16 bolt carriers.  This modification is said to be the machining of the pin slot of the carrier
for installation in the designed 'Match Target' rifles. Does anyone have a picture of this modification they could post?  I am very clear on the usual differences between AR-15 and M16 bolt carriers.  I am curious as to how Colt modified the full auto carriers for semi-auto use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Are we talking the slot for the buffer retaining pin?  That would be present on any carrier.

Only differences I'm aware of are the halfcircle/full circle carriers, tho' Colt drifted away from its non-standard parts as time passed.

Can you explain a little more?
Moon
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The carrier in mine clearly started life as a full auto carrier but was later machined down to the "C" profile. You can see where it's been milled off.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my picture...however, here's an example of the various bolt carriers including the SP1 & half circle Colt. Most recently - all Colt rifles including the Match Target neutered versions came from the factory w/an M16 carrier.

Link Posted: 12/30/2012 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My comp match target HBar came with a full auto carrier (M 16)
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Were there any modification to the M16 carrier at all?  Thank you in advance for your time.

Link Posted: 12/30/2012 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All 4 of my Colt Match Targets have M16 carriers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]
My first AR after the ban expired had a halfcircle carrier(it had normal takedown pins but oversize FCG);  ones I've seen recently had the M-16 type.
Moon
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not my picture...however, here's an example of the various bolt carriers including the SP1 & half circle Colt. Most recently - all Colt rifles including the Match Target neutered versions came from the factory w/an M16 carrier.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/ar15carriers.jpg

Is one better them the other!?
Which one does colt use now and why!?
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have read that Colt shipped at least some of their Match Target rifles with MODIFIED M16 bolt carriers.  This modification is said to be the machining of the pin slot of the carrier
for installation in the designed 'Match Target' rifles. Does anyone have a picture of this modification they could post?  I am very clear on the usual differences between AR-15 and M16 bolt carriers.  I am curious as to how Colt modified the full auto carriers for semi-auto use.

As you could see from the picture posted Colt modified the bolt carriers by removing material at the lower, rear end common to the buffer pin retainer slot and at the bottom of the rear firing pin (rear of the firing pin is exposed), see the one marked SP1 they were used from the first model released in 1964 until around late 90s to '91.

Next around '91 they used the half circle carriers and this was used on the Match Target series starting about '94, I used to have a model R6551 Sporter Target rifle and a R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine that I bought new in '91 and they both had the half circle carriers.

The current BCG supplied to most all Colt AR models now are the M16 full auto, they started doing it in 2005, it's the actual M16/ M4 auto BCG supplied to the military, back last year the Colt factory was selling them direct and they came with actual military packaging showing military part numbers.

There's more pics here in this archived thread for reference.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/247913_What_is_a_Full_Circle_Carrier__Colt__.html

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top