Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2012 4:19:27 PM EDT
I have an Alexander Arms "entry" model Beowulf equipped with the factory round clamshell handguards. I don't really like them and they rattle too much so i want to replace them with a lightweight quadrail. I know that because of the gas system/ gas block only certain models will work. Can anyone recommend a good lightweight model that will fit the Beowulf? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I switched mine to the Magpul MOE and I like it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the same. But it was tight. I was unable to add a rail.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There a midlength handguard. so any mid length replacement will work for you. are you wanting something to cover the gas block?

No, I don't suppose there's any good reason to cover it that i know of.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
LaRue rail... but you will need to modify your gas block.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy MRwhatevers fit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Without modifying the gas block? I would really prefer not to change things unless I have to so i can easily switch back if necessary. Would be great if the Troy fits, I love Troy gear it's stupid tough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Without modifying the gas block? I would really prefer not to change things unless I have to so i can easily switch back if necessary. Would be great if the Troy fits, I love Troy gear it's stupid tough.

Mine has a Troy.  It fits, and no need to modify gas block.
Plus the bottom rail slides off in case the beowulf ever needs a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd hate to run into anything too big for a Beowulf and needing a grenade instead

Which model did you use?
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#10]
MR-F?

It's getting duracoat, so I can't just look at the stamp.

It has same top plane as receiver and stops short of the gas block.  I know they make one that wraps around the gas block, too (or they did).
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Kk...that works, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Moe didn't work with my gas block mounted Troy folding front sight.  I went with Daniel defense omega, I love it so much I got another DD rail for my other ar. It's narrow on the sides, makes all other quad rails feel fat.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/zimm17/Guns/DSC_1004.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/zimm17/Guns/DSC_0996.jpg
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
What's "Moe"?  That Daniel Defense is a good looking rail...it's going on the "maybe" list.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Moe didn't work with my gas block mounted Troy folding front sight.  

What was the problem? I was thinking about putting one on my Bewoulf. I was concerned about the Samson folding front sight I have on my Beowulf.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Daniel Defense OMEGA 9.0 fits awesome.

Brandi-
MOE is Magpul handguard

MOE mid-length will work, but its a tight fit...dont think the gas block is exactly mid-length.
my delta ring was really tight. it wouldnt go fully forward.
also looked odd to me w/ the AA gas block.

ymmv
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a YHM flip up on the factory gasblock in conjunction with an MI 2piece quadrail.

The gasblock sight is SLIGHTLY too long to fold completely down in the "closed" position.

It rests on the front rail at an angle, and is barely noticeable.

~WTS

Link Posted: 7/20/2012 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the Beowulf with magpul moe forend. It fits but folding front sight won't lay down. You'd have to install it backwards so it folds forward.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/zimm17/Guns/c0397548.jpg
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]

YHM specter length lightweight rail.  You do have to modify the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an Alexander Arms "entry" model Beowulf equipped with the factory round clamshell handguards. I don't really like them and they rattle too much so i want to replace them with a lightweight quadrail. I know that because of the gas system/ gas block only certain models will work. Can anyone recommend a good lightweight model that will fit the Beowulf? Thanks

I've got a CAS-V M on mine. Its not super light, but it fits flush with the gas block so it looks OEM. Plus you can add rails anywhere you want on it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I purchased the same upper. I put a VLTOR CASV-M handguard on. It goes on easily. It is solid. Allows you to configure the removable rails however you like. The nice thing about it is I can co-witness MBUS flipups through the truglo sight that I have mounted. All three line up perfectly. I know the truglo is not of the quality of an Eotech but it is 1/5 the price also. After about a 100 rounds through, the truglo redot is still zeroed so I am happy. Less than 2" groups at 100 yards with a 2.5 moa red dot is pretty good. I would like to see the groups with an actual scope mounted on but I have other rifles for that purpose. This will be a brush gun / bear hunting rifle. I will post a couple pics if I have time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#22]
How easy is easy on the installation on that forend?  I see you don't have to remove the delta nut which is a plus.

Also,  tell me about your stock.  Is it foldable  or is it completely fixed?  I've been considering one like that for my Beowulf ever since I saw one.  They just look cool.  Make me want one lol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a YHM freefloat rifle length on mine, If I need back up sights I can use Magpul's
I prefer the longer FF, I like the clean look without the visible gas block.
I cut down the rail on the gas block to make it a "low profile" to fit under the YHM.
I have a free float on all my AR's. It seems if you don't want to keep the plastic ones you might as well free float to allow your AR to be as accurate as possible.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I have two Beowulfs and both have the Midwest Industries mid-length drop in rail.  It locks up rock solid and won't break the bank either.   I have had them on there for four years with zero issues.  The newest version is even a little better and makes the top rail look monolithic with no gaps.

The drop in rails require zero modification to your rifle.. Just do yourself a favor and spend $10 for the handgard changing tool otherwise you will be cursing up a storm when trying to get the old ones off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#25]
This is how easy:
1. Pull down on delta ring to remove plastic handguard (may require a flat screwdriver to split handguard apart)
2. Slip new CASV-M over barrel and gas block making sure flange on new guard slides into notch on delta ring
3. Tighten the two scews that hold the new rail onto the flattop rail using supplied allen wrench.
4. Add supplied rails of various lengths wherever you want them.

If you don not want to get a gas block height front flip up then do what I did and add one of the rail pieces to the top front of the new handguard so everything sits on the top rail at the same height. Front sight, rear sight and red dot are all on the same plane and have the same point of impact. I don't know if I just lucked out that the mount on the truglo made the red dot line up with the mbus front and rear sights or if it was designed that way. Normally, you would be lucky if you can co-witness through the upper or lower 2/3 of the red dot glass after messing around with different mount heights. So being dead on the dot in this case is pretty cool.

The stock is an ACE skeleton stock. They are one piece, not collapsible. I swiped the lower off my grendel for use with the Beowulf. Not sure if I want to spend the money on a dedicated lower.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll probably buy one of these when they come out:

http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rails/ar15m16-rails/drop-in-rails/troy-battlerail-delta

Drop in free floating extended rail

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is how easy:
1. Pull down on delta ring to remove plastic handguard (may require a flat screwdriver to split handguard apart)
2. Slip new CASV-M over barrel and gas block making sure flange on new guard slides into notch on delta ring
3. Tighten the two scews that hold the new rail onto the flattop rail using supplied allen wrench.
4. Add supplied rails of various lengths wherever you want them.

If you don not want to get a gas block height front flip up then do what I did and add one of the rail pieces to the top front of the new handguard so everything sits on the top rail at the same height. Front sight, rear sight and red dot are all on the same plane and have the same point of impact. I don't know if I just lucked out that the mount on the truglo made the red dot line up with the mbus front and rear sights or if it was designed that way. Normally, you would be lucky if you can co-witness through the upper or lower 2/3 of the red dot glass after messing around with different mount heights. So being dead on the dot in this case is pretty cool.

The stock is an ACE skeleton stock. They are one piece, not collapsible. I swiped the lower off my grendel for use with the Beowulf. Not sure if I want to spend the money on a dedicated lower.

That's pretty easy, I'm not putting buis on it.  It has a Leupold VX-R Hog Plex scope and a Trijicon RMR will be mounted above the scope for close stuff or as a back up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]

I love Troy battle rails, I have one on my Colt, but they are heavy and the Beowulf already has a heavy barrel so I'm looking for strong and light.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top