Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2013 7:26:25 AM EDT
"The G-2 was the ArmaLite AR-10. West Germany purchased 135 AR-10's for testing and evaluation ("The Armalite AR-10" by Maj Sam Pikula). It was entered in the trials competition by ArmaLite's licensed manufacturing agent; 'Artillerie-Inrichtingen' of Hembrug-Zaandam Holland. Tests were conducted on the Bundeswehr range at Meppen during 1957 and the A.I. produced AR-10/G-2 lost out to the G3."

Is this accurate?

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123925&highlight=AR10

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you read down further, there seems to be agreement that the STG-57 was the G2 and the AR10 had the designation G4.
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Whenever the Dutch made a series of test rifles they seemed to hold a few back just in case.  Theese held-back rifles mostly ended up in civillian hands, being useful for sporting and marksmanship.   I am acquainted with a Dutchman who, until last rear, owned a G4 test rifle.  Notice that the selector markings have been factory modified to be more pleasing to the Germans.  Most of the G4's were not sniper rifles.  Technically, these rifles would beconsidered Transitional models due to the unique FSB and flash-hider, as well as the SN falling smack between the Sudan and Porto contract rifles.

Link Posted: 1/11/2013 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.....Has the German test data ever been made public?
Link Posted: 1/11/2013 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  That's a sweet piece of history.  
Your Dutch friends sure have some wonderful toys!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some photographs of the testing.

Notice the black streak running across the testers face from all the carbon blowback. The guy in the suit next to him bears more than a striking resemblance to Hannibal Lecter.

Upper looks like a Hollywood AR10.

Link Posted: 2/22/2013 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
"German Rifle Nomenclature

German military and law enforcement procurement identification of the G1 and G3 CETME

are well known, however the question of the G2 often comes up. Here is an incomplete list

of of the gewehr models.

G1: FN FAL (Belgium)
G2: SIG SG510 (Switzerland)
G3: H&K HK31 (Germany) licensed from the CETME Modelo B (Spain)
G4: ArmaLite AR10 (USA)
G5: Steyr SSG69 (Austria)
G8: H&K HK21 (Germany)
G11: H&K G11 (Germany)
G21: Mauser Kar98K (Germany)
G22: Accuracy International AWM-F (UK)
G23: Accuracy International AWM (UK)
G24: Accuracy International AW50F (UK)
G28: H&K HK417 DMR (Germany)
G32: Walther KKJ (Germany)
G36: H&K HK50 (Germany)
G37: SIG SG551 (Switzerland)
G82: Barret M107 (USA)"

http://aftermathgunclub.com/?p=1482
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
"At the same time, the German Bundesgrenzschütz (Federal Border Guard) began the process of testing several 7.62x51mm-chambered rifles for adoption by their military forces, including the Fabrique Nationale FAL (designated as Gewehr 1 or G1; Rifle 1), the SIG SG510 (G2), the CETME Modelo B (G3), and the Armalite AR-10 (G4). Out of these four rifles, the FN FAL was accepted for service. However, the Belgian government refused to license post-war Germany to produce the FAL. The CETME rifle was then chosen to replace the G1. A manufacturing license was transferred from the Dutch NVM company to Heckler & Koch and production of the G3 began in 1959."

http://raygun.stabilelite.org/firearms/assault/g3a3.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Armeiro you always bring the coolest info to this site. Thank you! We need more retro AR 10 chat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The German test rifles were among the earliest AR10's and fall kind of between the Cuban and the Sudan rifles.  
The 135 rifles are mentioned in "ARMALITE CONFIDENTIAL BULLETIN #1"
[see middle of page 3]
Cover
page1
page2
page3
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 2:34:39 AM EDT
[#10]
G2 (SIG 510) manuals

"SIG Stgw 57

The Stgw 57 was Switzerland’s first standard-issue selfloading service rifle. The Swiss experimented with designs for ten or twelve years (including the AK52) before adapting the model 57 in, appropriately, 1957. The design is based on the German roller-locking system, and uses a delayed blowback system like the StG45 rather than a truly locked mechanism..."

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/sig-stgw-57/
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Corner-Gun based on the SIG 510/FASS57/STG57, shooting round bullets. Shooting Museum, Bern.

http://laurentbelkacem.tumblr.com/post/28512231085/corner-gun-based-on-the-sig-510-fass57-stg57

Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Amiero
Did you serve in the Swiss Army? Is that your service record book?
Love the STGW!!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#14]
STG57...nice! its has always been on my want list. I would even like the miniature version in the pic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Armeiro you always bring the coolest info to this site. Thank you! We need more retro AR 10 chat.

What he said!

Ok, fess up, who did you work for, and for how long?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#16]
With the exception of SF, I would like to see our land-based forces be more of a National Guard system like Switzerland. Mandatory service would save a buttload of money, and we could have guards in our schools.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
But would be offset by the extra UCMJ action on people who didn't want to be there.  It is challenging enough at times dealing with the small fraction of volunteers who need their recruiter butt stroked.   I agree with your idea but think you would have enough volunteers without inducting he low-informed bottom feeding scum of society. If volunteers become a problem for this national guard force then you go the Robert HeinleinStarship Troopers[i][
route and make service a prerequisite for running for office (book...not the movie series that got more absurd over time).

Every time I see a non-serving dirtbag politician who says the draft should come back so we never go to war again,  I either want to puke or punch them in the face.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But would be offset by the extra UCMJ action on people who didn't want to be there.  It is challenging enough at times dealing with the small fraction of volunteers who need their recruiter butt stroked.   I agree with your idea but think you would have enough volunteers without inducting he low-informed bottom feeding scum of society. If volunteers become a problem for this national guard force then you go the Robert HeinleinStarship Troopers[i][
route and make service a prerequisite for running for office (book...not the movie series that got more absurd over time).

Every time I see a non-serving dirtbag politician who says the draft should come back so we never go to war again,  I either want to puke or punch them in the face.

That is why a lot of countries supplemented universal military service with work battalions or CCC type organizations for the conscientious objector types.

Baueinheiten

In certain European countries such as Austria, Germany, Greece and Switzerland, there is the option of performing Civilian Service, subject to the review of a written application or after a hearing about the state of conscience (see below). In Greece, Civilian Service is twice as long as the corresponding military service and in Switzerland, the Civilian Service is one and one-half times longer. In 2005, the Swiss parliament considered whether willingness to serve one and a half times longer than an army recruit was sufficient proof of sincerity, citing that the cost of judging the state of conscience of a few thousand men per year was too great.
Wiki
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
We could use 'Americorp' here for the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey! I started that thread!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't blame the recruiters too much; If a recruit is qualified, a recruiter HAS to do the paperwork..

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top