Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2010 7:11:29 AM EDT
I have my trusty full size A2 that I am waffling with converting to an A3 and going with rails, etc.  I kinda hate to do this as that rifle is special to me based on what I carried when I served.  My problem is I am getting a little bit older and a red dot or 3-4x optics might assist me on longer shots.  Not looking to break the bank, just do an inexpensive/budget upgrade.  I don't really want to go with a 3-9x 40mm scope and delta cheek piece.

Anyone have any recommendations or pics of optics for carry handles?

Decent 4x's that clip into the carry handle, low profile red dots, etc......if you have an opinion or experience, sound off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Burris Timberline 4x20 Scope w/ a good, proper, see thru base and good rings.

It would be a chinweld, not a cheekweld.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I am having the same problems.  I tried a NcStar Mk III 3-9x42 with the quick release, being that I have a carry handle mount.  It sucked.  The scope clarity was very good and bright.  The illumination was good also.  The mount is the problem.  I have people in my gun club that had the A2 mount version, and they said it loostened up.
I was looking at the Burris compact scopes, but they're not made in America.  I thought they were.  After looking at other scopes on their site, I found that the "high" end scopes had an American flag, and read "madie in America".  The less expensive Timberline did not.  I'm still waiting for a response from Burris to tell me where they're made.
I think that we have 3 choices.  1) cheap Chinese junk   2)  full size scopes that look silly  3)  high end ACOG's
I can't justify spending 1k on a scope for a $600 AR.
I saw an ad in the Rifleman for Trijicon.  It read "assembled in America"  WTF????????
If you get any ideas, please I M me..
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not know why people continue to by NcStar.  I have a 6 power scope, made by NcStar that cost me $35 because Trijicon got them to stop importing them, and they were being blown out the door.  I treat it like a $35 scope.  I spend the same money, or more, on a case of beer, so it is no sweat for me if it breaks.

Most Burris Scopes are not made here.  A few are assembled here in CO.

The Burris Timberline scopes are made in the Philippines.

The Carry Handle mounts, if you go cheap, do loosen.  The point is not to go cheap. There are $8.00 to $20.00 mounts that look just like the IOR (or the Smith Ent. mount if you want it made in the USA), but they do not work.

Hell even the good mount can loosen when you put them on a high recoil (.308, .458 Socom, .50 Beowulf, 450 Bushmaster).  At this point, Blue Loctite is your friend.

Good optics cost what they cost.  Buy the best you can afford and do not be seduced by bells and whistles.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Find a used TA01, can be had between $500-$600
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I use this type of scope on my A1 gun.link and linky2

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link one and link two are not the same scope.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go with a mount I would recommend the ARMS #2.   It is a tiny bit oversize and the first time you put it on you will have to tap it with rubber or plastic hammer to get it to seat.   It is rock solid and won't move on you like the cheaper models.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you go with a mount I would recommend the ARMS #2.   It is a tiny bit oversize and the first time you put it on you will have to tap it with rubber or plastic hammer to get it to seat.   It is rock solid and won't move on you like the cheaper models.

When there are good products (IOR and Smith Ent.) on the market that compare with the ARMS and I do not have to give money to Dick Swan, I jump at the chance.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/31/2010 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link one and link two are not the same scope.

agree....they are the same style of scope that was originally used with the A1 style carry handle rifles. The original colt scope can get quite costly(linky), but you can find deals at auctions.link

The ones made in japan are better than the Chinese knock offs.another link(linky2)

What I saying is.... the scopes are out there, but you will have to search for a deal.

look like this rifle: You can still use your regular irons sights with these sights.

Link Posted: 7/31/2010 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gents!

Yeah, the Colt scope seems to be the "best" reasonable compromise.

I also am looking at a screw in/see through mount and a mid sized 30mm red dot.  It stays as low profile/weight/etc as possible without altering the point of aim/view too dramatically.  I can't see going the 3x9 power scope route....the eye relief is just too far to get a proper set up the way I weld to get my aim.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 3:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks gents!
Yeah, the Colt scope seems to be the "best" reasonable compromise.
I also am looking at a screw in/see through mount and a mid sized 30mm red dot.  It stays as low profile/weight/etc as possible without altering the point of aim/view too dramatically.  I can't see going the 3x9 power scope route....the eye relief is just too far to get a proper set up the way I weld to get my aim.

The original colt scope is the most expensive and has the most resale value now and in the future.  You can find a colt look alike made in Japan for much cheaper. The Chinese knock offs are of much cheaper quality and the resale value is poor. I don't recommend the chinese knock off because for a little money more you can find a decent one made in Japan. All of these style/type of scopes allow you to see the iron sights as normal.  Of course the real deal is the Colt, but one in mint condition will bring premium value. I have one that was made in Japan  on my rifle, it is  light and handy and it has clear glass. Fun to shoot.

This type of scope is usually for sale on ebay, gunbroker and occasionally in the Equipment Exchange section. Once again, I would recommend you get one made in Japan rather than the cheaper Chinese copies.

excellent deal on a used colt scope:link,linky2,linky3,linky4

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen 1 by NcStar, Leapers, BSA, and Barska.  If these are all Chinese junk, and I assume they are, the best one in my opinion is the Leapers.  It has a mil dot reticle and the mount is integral.  No chance of screws loostening up, like the others.
If you go with a Colt, for the $ you can buy a Burris, Weaver, or ?????
I've seen these Colt scopes in "near mint" condition selling for $300 +, depending if it has the box and manual.  If we're talking "budget", that doesn't fit.
Is there a Japanese version of the original Colt scope ?  If there was, I'd buy one for my A2.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The Vortex Sparc on a Smith Enterprises mount works great for me:

While I've never used the Sparc comes with a 2X magnifier. That configuration works just fine, but some people prefer a gooseneck mount that allows a cowitness with the irons.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice set up !!!   Luv the A1    
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]
ACOG TA33-8 from PrimaryArms good price

Link Posted: 8/1/2010 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
There are many cantilever type mounts available for carry handles that are iron sight compatible, and will co-witness as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
the colt knock off , try a BSA not too bad.......... click the link

my friend has a real colt and they are nice but cost several bucks 200.00 to 400.00

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP508-1.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I landed on something I am gonna give a try.  I moonlight at a sporting goods store.  A red dot I had my eye on went on sale so I grabbed on.

It is a Millet red dot.  Similar in size, etc to the Colt or Chicom stuff.  Variable brightness and MOA size and I picked it up for 59.99 (50% off orig price).  I am gonna mount it to a see through base on the carry handle and give it a whirl.  Worst case, it goes on another weapon.

While it is not improved "power" as a scope, the red dot will likely help my aging eyes on longer shots.  The size of the scope is decent too as it does not overwhelm the weapon or normal eye relief taken.

I will post a pic once I get the base and get it mounted.

Thanks for the awesome feedback and links gents, much appreciated!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top