Site Notices
Page / 23
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 12:49:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Trijicon fanboy and own way too many ACOGs so I've held off on buying one of these. I just took this Tavor in trade and wanted a cheap optic for it. Found a used painted SLX 3X for cheap and bought it on a whim. Holy cow this is a lot of optic for the price! I'll likely buy a few more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

My setup? Pics if you can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Noah95:

https://i.imgur.com/W6KPPC1.jpeg
View Quote

Ha! Great minds, and all....

(or at least inquisitive ones)
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Ha! Great minds, and all....

(or at least inquisitive ones)
View Quote

I was extremely pleased with it at the range today. Feels like two compact primary optics rather than like a primary and backup
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 5:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PrimaryArms:

Were you able to get this resolved with our Customer Service Reps? If not I'd be happy to help get you in contact with them!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PrimaryArms:
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
Anyone had an issue with the reticle not being vertical? I've emailed PA already, hoping they'll respond.
Just curious if it's something someone else has noticed.

NOT meaning to blast them, it took until I went to mount the optic to notice a few degrees of cant. And it's the only issue I've ever had with anything from them, so I suspect it's isolated.

Were you able to get this resolved with our Customer Service Reps? If not I'd be happy to help get you in contact with them!

Apologies! After coming back to the forum, this post prompted me to check. Apparently their email ended up in my SPAM filter. I'll be sending the reps the info they requested ASAP.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#8]
What flip up covers are people using?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I got one,SLX 3x prism, in part of a trade deal a while ago and am quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got the SLx 3x micro prism on a carry handle rifle and it's a nice optic but holy cow the eye relief is bad (apparently an ACOG eye relief is almost an inch less even? Bruh).

I have the main carry handle riser thing attached (https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2xp-carry-handle-adapter) which brings the optic back a bit and then one or even two of the little sloped riser things in addition to get it back further. So it's mostly useable now but I still have to have my face way forward and it's a chin weld because of all the stupid risers on there to get it back but they also raise it up high off the carry handle.

Man I just wish someone would make like a fricking cantilever riser that brings the fricking thing back enough. Basically like the adapter I linked above but longer to bring the optic back. It needs to be way behind the back of the carry handle to be ideal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 3:25:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#11]
Originally Posted By clamumbrill:
I've got the SLx 3x micro prism on a carry handle rifle and it's a nice optic but holy cow the eye relief is bad (apparently an ACOG eye relief is almost an inch less even? Bruh).

I have the main carry handle riser thing attached (https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-2xp-carry-handle-adapter) which brings the optic back a bit and then one or even two of the little sloped riser things in addition to get it back further. So it's mostly useable now but I still have to have my face way forward and it's a chin weld because of all the stupid risers on there to get it back but they also raise it up high off the carry handle.

Man I just wish someone would make like a fricking cantilever riser that brings the fricking thing back enough. Basically like the adapter I linked above but longer to bring the optic back. It needs to be way behind the back of the carry handle to be ideal.
View Quote

The TA31 4x32 is worse. The TA50 3x24 and TA33 3x30 have significantly better eye boxes than the PA 3X. The TA50 is my favorite premium optic and the PA 3X is my favorite budget optic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

You could drill another hole in the carry handle
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#13]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes

I did that. Turned a bushing to center the Primary Arms 10-32 mounting screw into the over sized factory hole then after mounting used the unused cantilever mount holes to match drill adjacent clearance holes for 10-32 machine screw into the carry handle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

I did that. Turned a bushing to center the Primary Arms 10-32 mounting screw into the over sized factory hole then after mounting used the unused cantilever mount holes to match drill adjacent clearance holes for 10-32 machine screw into the carry handle.
View Quote

Clever.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Clever.
View Quote

I posted on p21 back in early May that the mounting with one bolt in an oversized carry handle hole relying on friction / clamping force was bugging me.

So I decided to do something about it. I could have turned a locating shoulder into an integral fastener knob / bolt but this was quicker and easier. The optic is now as solid as it would be clamped to a rail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 10:49:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#16]
PA 3XMP eye relief versus the 3X TA50 ACOG. I don’t shoot NTCH. Pretty sure I said it before but the ACOG eye box is immensely better. That said it’s been a bit since I got out my PA’s and they really are awesome for the money.

(Take note that the rear sight is not a good indexing point since they’re on different slots. Look at the ocular location in relation to the safety instead.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone make a flip to side or flip to center magnifier mount that would be compatible with the 3x prism? The 3x magnifier looks similar but IIRC has a different mounting footprint. Return to zero is easily checked against the red dot and for a general purpose setup should be good enough
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
“Anyone had an issue with the reticle not being vertical? I've emailed PA already, hoping they'll respond.
Just curious if it's something someone else has noticed.

NOT meaning to blast them, it took until I went to mount the optic to notice a few degrees of cant. And it's the only issue I've ever had with anything from them, so I suspect it's isolated.”

I has 1. Tried several mounts including another PA and ADM.
It was canted. PA had me send it in and replaced it with new. I have 3 of these - 3x, 1x and 1x 9mm. Very happy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Burncycle:
Does anyone make a flip to side or flip to center magnifier mount that would be compatible with the 3x prism? The 3x magnifier looks similar but IIRC has a different mounting footprint. Return to zero is easily checked against the red dot and for a general purpose setup should be good enough
View Quote

I have both but can't answer the footprint question at this time as I'd have to dismount, but can say that even if they are, a Unity FTC mount wouldn't work as it doesn't mount straight up and down.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The 3x prism has a mini acog footprint and the 3x magnifier has an eotech footprint. Flipping a prism will give you return to zero problems.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Does flipping a magnifer have return to zero problems, given that the magnifier must also be zeroed?
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Good enough for what  
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Does flipping a magnifer have return to zero problems, given that the magnifier must also be zeroed?
View Quote

A magnifier only magnifies.  If you were to have a reticle in a magnifier you would have return to zero issues.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Noah95:

https://i.imgur.com/W6KPPC1.jpeg
View Quote

What mount is that front dot?
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DDadams:

What mount is that front dot?
View Quote

Very interested in how that works.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 11:51:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#26]
I'm not him, but I did the same thing at the top of the previous page.

1. He is using an Arisaka mount, I used an Overbore. Any ~2.26" hollow mount will do.

2. Aside from having to get deep down on your stock to get your eye low, it works fine. The mount does not occlude the optic in any appreciable sense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

A magnifier only magnifies.  If you were to have a reticle in a magnifier you would have return to zero issues.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

All you are doing is centering the image in the magnifier. It would be an interesting experiment to try a prism in one, but I imagine it would shift over time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Fwiw mine is still holding up good with no lose of zero doing normal stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 6:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: themagikbullet] [#29]
Decided to try the 5x on a 12.3" hanson build.  Using adm's 1.64" and heromod mount. Only zeroing and function testing the upper mostly but I like it so far.

Going to decide whether to swap it with a ta33/509t combo I have on a 16".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve been seriously considering an ACOG but I just can justify the cost over the PA 3X there’s a quality difference and I like American but I can buy 2-3 PAs for the price of even a used Trijicon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By themagikbullet:
Decided to try the 5x on a new 12.5" build.  Only zeroing and function testing the upper mostly but I like it so far.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108746/IMG_3492_jpeg-3286686.JPG
View Quote

I've thought about building a recce with one of them. Or even replacing a 2-10 on my 18" build.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#32]

I've thought about building a recce with one of them. Or even replacing a 2-10 on my 18" build.
View All Quotes
Decided to try the 5x on a new 12.5" build.  Only zeroing and function testing the upper mostly but I like it so far.

All valid. Secondary ideas could be trying it on a 12" grendel and shuffling around an eotech g45 combo and glx 2.5-10. Options are good.
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Decided to try the 5x on a new 12.5" build.  Using adm's 1.64" and heromod mount. Only zeroing and function testing the upper mostly but I like it so far.

View Quote

How's the real life FOV and eye box?
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

View Quote

I can compare to my ta33, PA 3x magnifier, and g45 magnifier.  I'll pay more attention to fov next session, but as far as eyebox it's not nearly as forgiving as ta33-a bit less than the 3x, and maybe ssslightly more forgiving than the g45.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Still liking it during some zero tuning, quick weight shot for my config:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]

I can compare to my ta33, PA 3x magnifier, and g45 magnifier.  I'll pay more attention to fov next session, but as far as eyebox it's not nearly as forgiving as ta33-a bit less than the 3x, and maybe ssslightly more forgiving than the g45.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

Cool. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Where are you guys buying your ADM cantilever mounts?  Specifically the 1.64".  ADM wants $24 shipping, really?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By mvintx:
Where are you guys buying your ADM cantilever mounts?  Specifically the 1.64".  ADM wants $24 shipping, really?
View Quote

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/american-defense-manufacturing-ad-b2-cantilever-1-64-qd-mount-for-mini-acog-sights.html

$5 shipping for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#39]
My current truck gun
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Woohoo.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I decided to put together a 12.5" with a Centurion barrel for suppressed use due to the 0.064" gas port size.  I also wanted to try the tabbed and pinned gas block, which impressed me.

Immediately after assembly yesterday I hit the indoor range by my house to check function and how much gas blows back.

The micro prism has been zero'd on another AR, and it was nuts on at 25 yards on the new build.

I love it up close, and with the ADM it seems to hold zero fine when taking it off and putting it back on.

Attachment Attached File

Gonna zero at 100 yards later today.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I run the 3x on everything but my shtf AR. That has their 5x and a red dot piggy backed.

Question for those also running the 3x...do you also run a offset red dot?
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
I run the 3x on everything but my shtf AR. That has their 5x and a red dot piggy backed.

View Quote

I run 2 3x. An acog and a slx. I don't run a dot with either. It might make a difference on a shot clock. For my uses it'd be pointless. I shoot plenty well, both eyes open at close targets.  I'm not shooting in competitions. So, my opinion will likely vary from others, but I pick up the target & reticle fast enough for my needs just running the 3x on its own. Your use may vary.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

View Quote

My times last time I measured were actually faster with my 3x mp vs my aimpoint pro
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you. Interesting replies but positive 👌
Link Posted: 9/20/2024 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Run an offset just for a fast dot? No. The 3x is fast enough by itself for my purposes.

Run an offset because I want an NV optic? Yes. That said, I like 12 o'clock dots, and there are no good 12OC mounting options for the 3x micro, so I typically am not bothering outside of my goofy experiments. The reticle DOES have NV settings and IS visible through nods, but light transmission isn't good, so you're doing a sort-of BAC style of use with it, which is fine as long as you understand the limitations of it. The bigger pain in the ass is that you have to have the optic mounted so close for regular use eye relief that you (or at least I) bang my nods into it, or have to extend the rifle out so far as to be super annoying for me to handle (I'm not a tall guy with long arms). If you don't mind 45* offset MRDS, then maybe all of this is moot for you.

For a decent, affordable, fightng-rifle optic, I think it is a solid choice. Build quality seems decent, form-factor is good, reticle is just simple enough for what it sets-out to accomplish. It's impossible to make any single optic fit every possible scenario ideally, afterall.
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 6:35:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#47]
Fwiw mine is still holding up good with no lose of zero doing normal stuff.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000001261_jpg-3283851.JPG
View Quote

Mine just shit the bed today.  Had less than 200 rounds of use.

Was using it off a bench to chronograph some different loads. First 3 shots went to point of aim at 100 yards. Then, mysteriously, no hits anywhere on target or target backer.  

Fired a group with carry handle irons and impacts were zeroed. Looked through optic and the reticle was 40-50” right of where I held the zeroed irons. No amount of optic adjustment moved the windage. So after 3 shots the optic skipped 40-50 MOA of windage and died there.  

This optic was babied. It led a cased life.  No drops, no mishandling, no thermal cycling or heavy vibration.  No heavy recoiling cartridges.

I know PA will replace it.  Out of a dozen or so combined PA red dots & prisms over a decade this is the first one to suffer infant mortality like that.  Backup irons really simplified diagnostics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
My current truck gun
https://i.vgy.me/0IhP3n.jpg
View Quote

Looking sharp....what mount components did you use to achieve that much height?
Link Posted: 9/25/2024 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#50]
American Defense or Midwest Industries mount with one of the PA spacers provided with the optic. I do the same thing with my PA GLX 2x and SLX 1x.
Page / 23
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top