Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2013 7:48:34 AM EDT
Hi Folks,

I am an NRA High Power shooter, and I am looking into a new sling attachment type. I am thinking about setting my sling up with Impeact Weapon's Handguard-mounted QD attachment, like this:

I was wondering if anybody out there uses / has experience with using QD swivels for a sling that is used to support the rifle during long periods of prone shooting, pulled very tight? I basically want to know whether QD swivels are safe for this type of use, or if they will break from the pressure of wrapping the sling for extended periods. Generally, I'm trying to move away from the barrel / FSB-mounted sling, in order to minimize POI shift.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used those QD flush cups quite a bit (well not actually that specific manufacturer, but similar mounts), and except for the occasional socket/swivel pairing that dont fit together properly (unusual), all of them are strong enough for position shooting.  They should and do hold tight for very hard forceful jerks on the sling.  100% GTG and highly recommended.

Now, the one flush cup that I epoxy'd into a handguard with a half-ass mix of JB weld did get loose in the hot sun (Jb weld probably wasnt mixed propery) and Ive had some flush-cup-to-normal sling stud adapters fail under enough tension.  Most people dont even know those adapters even exist.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi Chrome308

Cool handle; all my firearms (including my bird hunting shotgun and handgun: a Tokarev) have chrome-lined bores, so I'm a big believer in chrome, too. This is something on which I insist, and it is superb in my AR-10; nothing beats a chrome-lined sub-MOA rifle with iron sights! I also prefer 7.62 NATO (.308) as well.

Thanks for your input; that makes me quite secure that this handguard qd mount is the right one. When you talk about the flush-cup-to-normal sling stud adapters, are you referring to this type of thing?

From looking at it, this sure seems like it would fit into the qd mount, but not quick detach. Do you recommend these, or the type that has the qd button, like this?

Is one of these types of designs stronger than the other, and do they make noise? If they are both equally strong, I will probably go with the qd variety.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are shooting Service Rifle you need to get a float tube.   I don't think anything like you're wanting is allowed.
Ask in the Highpower forum in the Training section.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that small adapter is what I was talking about.  They'll come apart if you crank down a bipod on them.  Ive separated 2-3 when I was usig them as bipod mounts.

The 2nd pic (loop style) is the normal attachment and they're usually solid.  Lots of different manufacturers, but I have yet to see one break.

The previous poster has a good point.  In Service Rifle you may not be allowed to use these types of sling attachment points, so Id check with the match organizers first.  In Match rifle I'm sure they would be fine.  Either way you need a free float handguard to get the full benefits.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top