Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 3:55:28 PM EDT
Read through the first post and am still confused as to date of manf. and any other info possible. What kind of bayonet, spike or blade?

The gun came with a synthetic after market stock , but all numbers on the metal match

Here are some pictures:

markings on right side of receiver (third digit is an 8)

only other numbers are on the bolt

The only factory marking is on the back of the rear housing
I can make out the second number as a 6

The rear housing itself is like none I've seen as an OEM part
milled integral scope mount

the other "oddity" is the muzzle break/ flash hider

any info would be greatly appreciated

RLS
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Chinese SKS rifles have a lot of variations. My guess is that yours is a commercial made gun (not a military rifle). The lack of numbers on all the major parts is what makes me think that. Everything looks factory minus that "muzzle break". That just screams bubba to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chinese SKS rifles have a lot of variations. My guess is that yours is a commercial made gun (not a military rifle). The lack of numbers on all the major parts is what makes me think that. Everything looks factory minus that "muzzle break". That just screams bubba to me.
View Quote

Think you missed the part where I said "all numbers match" , and the muzzel might have been "bubba'd"  not sure, but I will say if it was, just the holes as the rest it straight up stock.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the arsenal is 0134 in a rectangle indicating a rifle produced for export.  The rest looks bubba.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Think you missed the part where I said "all numbers match" , and the muzzel might have been "bubba'd"  not sure, but I will say if it was, just the holes as the rest it straight up stock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the two serials match. However, a military SKS will have numbers on the receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, topcover, stock, mag, trigger group, and gas tube.

Most likely it would have originally had a spike bayonet. I do not believe the Chinese produced a commercial SKS variant with a blade bayonet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, the two serials match. However, a military SKS will have numbers on the receiver YES , bolt YES , bolt carrier YES, topcover (have establised it is a Norinco Aftermarket Accessory), stock(as stated aftermarket symthetic  Choate) , mag YES, trigger group YES, and gas tube  YES.

As I originally posted ALL NUMBERS MATCH

The remark "only other number" refered to the fact that the numbers on the bolt were the only other identifying marks OTHER than the matching numbers

Most likely it would have originally had a spike bayonet. I do not believe the Chinese produced a commercial SKS variant with a blade bayonet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the two serials match. However, a military SKS will have numbers on the receiver YES , bolt YES , bolt carrier YES, topcover (have establised it is a Norinco Aftermarket Accessory), stock(as stated aftermarket symthetic  Choate) , mag YES, trigger group YES, and gas tube  YES.

The remark "only other number" refered to the fact that the numbers on the bolt were the only other identifying marks OTHER than the matching numbers

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm afraid the muzzle "break" is indeed a bubba creation.  It also appears that bubba sawed-off the end of the barrel, so it is flush with the front sight base.  I guess that way the "evil" bayonet won't be able to latch in the extended position.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm afraid the muzzle "break" is indeed a bubba creation.  It also appears that bubba sawed-off the end of the barrel, so it is flush with the front sight base.  I guess that way the "evil" bayonet won't be able to latch in the extended position.
View Quote

Yep, whole barrel has been destroyed .
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Poor thing.

Bubba had a drill - lucky there wasn't a bur in that baby, could have caused some trouble.

We had a rifle come in that was split right open where a guy drilled his own brake.

Edit -

Cool rear housing though - especially with the Chinese markings.  I've never seen one like that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the rear cover is probably aftermarket, and I think a piece is missing.  There is supposed to be a part screwed on the side where a combloc style scope clamps on.  If I'm not mistaken the part looks something like this:

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Went out to the shop this morning before anyone was up with a coffee and a cigar to do some pondering about this bubba'd barrel

really took a look at it and came to the conclusion that it very possibly DID come from the factory (more likely the importer)  like it is and never even had a bayonet.

Reasons why I'm leaning that way seem evident to me ion this photo

First,the end where is is thought to be cut is evenly blued to the rest of the gun (flash might obscure this but it is)

And second, the barrel ends before the front sight assembly (or am I seeing this wrong?)

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I did not get that from reading the first time, my mistake.

Looking at that barrel and front sight base pic you just posted, I have no idea what is going on there. Someone that knows Chinese SKSs more than me will have to chime in.

Do you have a pic of the whole rifle?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#12]
my mistake as well, when I reread the OP, i realized I could have been a little clearer

The whole rifle is broke down into major components right now, and came with a synthetic stoc that at first I thought was a Choate, but now I'm thinking it might be stock
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
So the saga countinues:

Got the sight assembly off with some PB Blaster and some heat

slight step on the barrel to limit sight assembly, barrel end chamfered ( no crown) , and bluing consistent even to the muzzel

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#14]
On all of the Chinese SKS rifles I've seen which had the bayonet deleted from the factory, the bayonet was either just left off, or the bayonet lug was entirely cut off.  The barrels were not modified in any way.

I am about 99.9% sure that your rifle's barrel was modified here, state-side.  I would imagine a gunsmith with a WECSOG diploma removed the front sight base's two cross pins, then pressed off the front sight base.  They then drilled some "longitudinally-biased" (okay, crooked ) muzzle stabilizing ports in the front sight base. While the sight base was off, they trimmed the barrel back to just ahead of the rear cross pin for the front sight base, and "beveled" the end of the barrel. Cold blue may or may not have been added to the muzzle at that point. The final step would be to reinstall the front sight base with only the rear cross pin, since there was no longer any barrel present to accept the front cross pin, whose former home (hole) is visible below the front sight windage drum.

This is just my WAG as to what we are looking at here, as most anything is possible with Chinese firearms.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Ahh, that poor SKS, bubba done got ahold of it
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]
A suggestion for you sir:

Take the gun to a gunsmith.  Have them turn the barrel back enough that the front sight fits on the barrel properly then renotch the barrel so the front sight pins fit then recrown and blue.  Basically I'm suggesting you convert your rifle to paratrooper specs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A suggestion for you sir:

Take the gun to a gunsmith.  Have them turn the barrel back enough that the front sight fits on the barrel properly then renotch the barrel so the front sight pins fit then recrown and blue.  Basically I'm suggesting you convert your rifle to paratrooper specs.
View Quote

I would try to get a replacement front sight base as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Good luck with that.  I looked for one last year with no luck.  I would try to save what he has.  I was just making a suggestion if he wanted to try to save it by converting to known specs.  I can give measurements of my para if he needs them.  

The other option would be to find a new made bbl and restore it to original.  I think turning the bbl down and converting to para will be much cheaper and easier to accomplish.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/original-chinese-sks-barreled-receivers.aspx

Barreled receivers for $80.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top