Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2011 9:44:32 AM EDT
With the design of this can, I've heard that you can run it with factory sights (they don't have to be raised).  I'm just verifying this as I don't know anyone who personally has the can.

If anyone could post a pic or two (or three or four ) I'd appreciate it!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any pics but on a p226 the factory sights are fine. from what Iv'e seen the osprey clears all of the factory sights on the following guns M&P,P226,220,228/229,H&K usp,1911
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a picture on what hosts?

Mark
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My P220 with my Osprey...

I will see if I can find better pictures.  I run it on a 1911 as well.  On the P220 the sight sits just at the top of the suppressor.  The suppressor body still occludes the sights a bit but nothing bad at all.  I've hit tennis balls at 25-yards with this pretty darn consistently.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
With the HK45 the top of the sights are even with the top of the can.  It's harder than you think to take pics like this.

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My TRP and Osprey 45.  The factory sights on most guns will just reach over the top......its near identical sight picture as my glock 17 with suppressor sights and Trident 9 mounted.  Id guess that suppressor sights and an Osprey would be quite easy to aim with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an old Colt MK Iv Series 70 that I have had for about 30 years that I just put a Storm Lake threaded barrel in. The gun still has the stock/factory sights on it. If you are
familiar with the old original Colt sights, the front sight is just a small hump.

I just picked up my new 45 Osprey last night and screwed it onto my old Colt and the front sight is just under the top level of the Osprey. I will measure it tonight to see just
how much, but I think this would be the only one or the only case where you can't sight past the Osprey.  

SilencerCo did a video shooting the 45 Osprey on a number of different hosts and all of them you were able to see the sights to sight past the can. My old GI style front sight
is the extreme.

I may try some of my wife's flouro permanent paint pens and dab the front sight see what that looks like.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't post any pics yet, but will soon as I just got word tonight that my tax stamp is here (finally) and I can go pick up my new FDE Osprey .45 tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the quick responses and the plethora of pictures!!!!  

I'll be contacting Major Malfunction to place an order for one of these bad boys soon!!

Thanks again!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Most pistol sights clear the Osprey or come near.  My Glock 30 sight is a tad under the top, but doesnt occlude  the target in the least.  Many Glocks have very short sights.  My Sig P220 Combat has the high night sights and they clear like a skyscraper.  No standard sights of any pistol will clear the Tirant or any of the standard round suppressors, except maybe the Maxim off set cans made by YH.  If ya dont wanna bother with high sights then a green laser is an awesome alternative.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Why do people keep saying the Osprey doen't block sights but every other suppressor does.  For all practical purposes the Osprey has the same effective diameter realative to the sights as a a HEMS2, Ti-Rant, or Evolution when it comes to .45 and .40 suppressors.  The Osprey has a listed width(effective diameter) of 1.3" but since I haven't received mine yet I can't measure it with a micrometer and I don't know if they rounded down.  The others are either listed or measured diameter of 1.38" so a difference of 0.080", divide that in half and you have 0.040" or maybe less difference in height over bore than the top of the Ti-Rant.  The Evolution 9 is only 1.25" so the Osprey 9 blocks the sights more than the Evolution 9 and people were always asking for taller sights when using the Evolution 9.  It's all perception and people think becasue more of the suppressor is below the bore that it must have something special when it comes to the sights but all the offset does is allow greater internal volume.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why do people keep saying the Osprey doen't block sights but every other suppressor does.  For all practical purposes the Osprey has the same effective diameter realative to the sights as a a HEMS2, Ti-Rant, or Evolution when it comes to .45 and .40 suppressors.  The Osprey has a listed width(effective diameter) of 1.3" but since I haven't received mine yet I can't measure it with a micrometer and I don't know if they rounded down.  The others are either listed or measured diameter of 1.38" so a difference of 0.080", divide that in half and you have 0.040" or maybe less difference in height over bore than the top of the Ti-Rant.  The Evolution 9 is only 1.25" so the Osprey 9 blocks the sights more than the Evolution 9 and people were always asking for taller sights when using the Evolution 9.  It's all perception and people think becasue more of the suppressor is below the bore that it must have something special when it comes to the sights but all the offset does is allow greater internal volume.

The bore on the osprey is moved much closer to the top (yes it has a top.)  So there is not an eqaul amt of suppressor all around the bore like you might find on a completely round can.  Ive got both and the osprey works fine with normal height sights, while my trident9 requires tall suppressor sights to give the same picture.  The offset might allow greater internal volume, but it also allows more of the volume to be placed below the bore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#16]
My Colt Mk IV sight sits 0.063" below the top of my Osprey. I put some paint on the front sight and I can still sight with it even though it sits below.
I have had this old Colt for over 30 years now and maybe it is time to start with some mods...
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There is an extra 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch of suppressor on top of my UMP .45 can as opposed to my Osprey45.  That is why the sight picture, with stock sights, works with the Osprey and why you need raised sights with completely round suppressor.  Of course you could offset the bore on a round suppressor also, but the Osprey was designed to be easier to holster....thus the same silouette as the gun.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Pics of UMP?
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pics of UMP?

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:There is an extra 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch of suppressor on top of my UMP .45 can as opposed to my Osprey45.

You are comparing it to a 1.5" diameter SMG suppressor that won't even fit on a pistol.  I am talking about a 1.38" diameter pistol suppressor.  As I said, the difference in height of the top of the Osprey 45 and a Ti-Rant 45 or Evolution 45 would be 0.040" or less.   That is less than a third of the minimum 1/8" you stated.  Now the 1.5" diameter UMP suppressor you are using for comparison which would be 0.100" higher than the Osprey, still less than the minimum 1/8" you stated.  You are not comparing apples to apples, 0.040" vs 0.100" is not the same.  I am stating actual figures, not just not just guessing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:There is an extra 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch of suppressor on top of my UMP .45 can as opposed to my Osprey45.

You are comparing it to a 1.5" diameter SMG suppressor that won't even fit on a pistol.  I am talking about a 1.38" diameter pistol suppressor.  As I said, the difference in height of the top of the Osprey 45 and a Ti-Rant 45 or Evolution 45 would be 0.040" or less.   That is less than a third of the minimum 1/8" you stated.  Now the 1.5" diameter UMP suppressor you are using for comparison which would be 0.100" higher than the Osprey, still less than the minimum 1/8" you stated.  You are not comparing apples to apples, 0.040" vs 0.100" is not the same.  I am stating actual figures, not just not just guessing.

Perhaps the UMP was not a good comparison, i figured the diameters were no different given same calibers.......but regardless, go get one and see for yourself.  That extra .040 does make a diff.  Ive got a trident9 and at 1.375" it did obscure a bit more and I did put taller sights on to remedy.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
If you shoot with both eyes open it really doesn't matter anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you shoot with both eyes open it really doesn't matter anyway.

I shoot my glock with my Tirant and standard sights without any issues.  I'm wishing I hadn't gotten raised sights for my .45 USP Tactical for shooting with the Tirant.  There aren't many holsters that work for the USP-T .45 with raised sights and the raised sights are un-necessary IMO.  

The pictures of the Ospreys with standard sights look itdentical to my sight picture with my Tirant.

Link Posted: 2/6/2011 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Tirant 45 looks to be the same size of that UMP  Thats one huge silo.  No wonder its quiet  To clarify,  the Osprey sits lower on its host than the typical 1 3/8th" can.  I have both and the Osprey allows a better sight picture
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow this thread is kind of funny. I thought the main selling point of the Osprey was no occlusion of standard height sights?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow this thread is kind of funny. I thought the main selling point of the Osprey was no occlusion of standard height sights?

Yes, that is one reason.  I think the MAIN reason was the ability to holster it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that is one reason.  I think the MAIN reason was the ability to holster it.

Not to mention it is one of the quietest .45 cans available and it is easily used on hosts of different calibers.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention it is one of the quietest .45 cans available and it is easily used on hosts of different calibers.

Did anyone mention that it's shorter then its main competitor?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#29]
The Osprey .70" shorter than the Ti-Rant, occludes most stock sights, has a more failure prone mount (more moving parts), but it's cheaper. Most users say the Ti-Rant is quieter, but only by a small margin. Round suppressors are holsterable too, not that I would ever carry a pistol with a suppressor on my hip.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Tirant use to be $1200, now its a bargain at $850 thanks to the flight of the Osprey.  Customer service is another plus in regards to the Osprey.  Good luck with aac service if you have an issue with the Tirant.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good luck with aac service if you have an issue with the Tirant.

Really? Tell us about your personal experiences with AAC customer service.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Mike at AAC and Josh at SilencerCo are both great.  I've delt with them both quite and couldn't have asked for better customer service.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Mike at AAC and Josh at SilencerCo are both great. I've delt with them both quite and couldn't have asked for better customer service.

Agreed - "get both".
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah - get both! (a 45 and a 9 Osprey!)

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#35]
love mine
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Well it may be a few months but I'll post pics of mine when it comes in!

To those of you who suggested "get both"....don't be suprised if you see a suppressed USP and a suppressed 92fs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top