Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2010 7:29:55 AM EDT
I'm kicking around the idea of doing one in the .40S&W and I am wondering where to put the engraving.
Also, if anyone has some pic's that would be helpful
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont believe the barrel comes out of a cx4 storm.

I may be wrong
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Using a special tool  you can remove the barrel from the CX4 storm.  I sent my upper to Gemtech to have it threaded.  I wish I had SBR'd it and shortened the barrel instead of just threading it.

I believe they charge $130 for the cut, thread & re-crown service & they do have the tool to take the barrel out of the upper.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Barrel-Threading-c27.htm

ADCO may also have the tool to remove the barrel.

Edited to add picture:

I'd like to SBR it and get it looking something like this minus the red dot which I would have sit lower.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not mine but I wish it was...

\

The stock has been shortened too.  

Enjoy
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks nice.  Any idea who did the work on that?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a few pic's that have inspired me to SBR the CX4:

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Using a special tool  you can remove the barrel from the CX4 storm.  I sent my upper to Gemtech to have it threaded.  I wish I had SBR'd it and shortened the barrel instead of just threading it.

I believe they charge $130 for the cut, thread & re-crown service & they do have the tool to take the barrel out of the upper.

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/Barrel-Threading-c27.htm

ADCO may also have the tool to remove the barrel.

-John

Thanks for the link man.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a little more research as I'm getting interested in this project again.

I was thinking about having ADCO do it... But it looks like ADCO isn't willing to take the Beretta Storm upper apart, as they specifically list it on their web page as a "We can not thread barrels that do not come out of the receivers - i.e. Beretta Storm."  If you send them an email I'm sure they could clarify if they would be willing to.  I have had them do other work and can say they do an excellent job.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=1

I had mine threaded by Gemtech - who told me they have the tool to take it apart (or fabricated one).  It looks like Gemtech is the choice unless anyone else knows of another smith/shop that can do the work.

I also don't know how the parts count comes into context.  Seeing as I was adding a barrel attachment I got US made trigger/hammer etc to bring my parts count to 922 compliance just in case.

Edit:  The next question is: do you want the barrel re-profiled so the threading is close to the forearm or do you have the threading in front of the cone contour of the barrel?  Personally I'd like to have the threading as close to the forearm as possible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did a little more research as I'm getting interested in this project again.

I was thinking about having ADCO do it... But it looks like ADCO isn't willing to take the Beretta Storm upper apart, as they specifically list it on their web page as a "We can not thread barrels that do not come out of the receivers - i.e. Beretta Storm."  If you send them an email I'm sure they could clarify if they would be willing to.  I have had them do other work and can say they do an excellent job.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_.cfm?code=1

I had mine threaded by Gemtech - who told me they have the tool to take it apart (or fabricated one).  It looks like Gemtech is the choice unless anyone else knows of another smith/shop that can do the work.

I also don't know how the parts count comes into context.  Seeing as I was adding a barrel attachment I got US made trigger/hammer etc to bring my parts count to 922 compliance just in case.

Edit:  The next question is: do you want the barrel re-profiled so the threading is close to the forearm or do you have the threading in front of the cone contour of the barrel?  Personally I'd like to have the threading as close to the forearm as possible.

Yes, I would have to have the threading as close to the forearm (on the cone contour) as possible, it just looks better I think, but I'm not sure if I would cut the stock apart between the butt and the pistol grip.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I would probably keep that attachment between the stock & grip also.  Just an FYI - barrel profiling may cost a little more if you plan to lose the "cone" forward of the grip.  I also don't know how vital it is to the mechanism that holds the barrel in.

When you get it back I'd be very interested in a status update, who you sent it to, how much/how long it took, etc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to buy one of these for the longest time, they were priced great when Beretta did a promo with free rails, but then they took a big price jump.  And I bought a bazillion 92 mags whenever I saw them on a big sale.

This thread might restart my interest in getting one.

If you have Gemtech shorten the barrel, I assume you do the SBR and form 1 yourself by whacking off a part of the barrel with a hacksaw and then send it to them?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was going to buy one of these for the longest time, they were priced great when Beretta did a promo with free rails, but then they took a big price jump.  And I bought a bazillion 92 mags whenever I saw them on a big sale.

If you have Gemtech shorten the barrel, I assume you do the SBR and form 1 yourself by whacking off a part of the barrel with a hacksaw and then send it to them?

you would just file for the form 1, get the stamp back and then send in the upper. They would presumably do everything from that point on, no hacksaw involved.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would probably keep that attachment between the stock & grip also.  Just an FYI - barrel profiling may cost a little more if you plan to lose the "cone" forward of the grip.  I also don't know how vital it is to the mechanism that holds the barrel in.

When you get it back I'd be very interested in a status update, who you sent it to, how much/how long it took, etc.

I'm not too sure how vital the barrel contor is either, I hope it can be done. I don't think I would like to have it threaded just after the "cone".

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I passed up a few good deals on them too.  I wish I got one sooner, but I was on the fence for the longest time between the .45acp and the .40S&W, I was going to with the .45acp using custom made magazines, heres a link to them:

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=11666

Now, I think the .40S&W will be fine, less custom work and I would prefer the 96 Centurian for an sidearm as for say the Couger, which is a good pistol I'm sure but its just not for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is my .45 before I sold it.  I cut the grip and both sights off and filled in the areas.  Bought and extra top rail and welded them togather.  Has an aftermarket trigger and hammer for 922r and b/c the stock unit sucks.  I probably would have kept it, but ive got a UMP.  I was gooing to have an integral built on it, but I had trouble finding somebody to do it b/c of the 922r crap.  I built a barrel wrench that I still have.  As long as the barrel nuts are the same it should work.  Ill give to anybody that pays shipping.  IM me.  Be forwarned.....barrel nut is on there GOOD.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here is my .45 before I sold it.  I cut the grip and both sights off and filled in the areas.  Bought and extra top rail and welded them togather.  Has an aftermarket trigger and hammer for 922r and b/c the stock unit sucks.  I probably would have kept it, but ive got a UMP.  I was gooing to have an integral built on it, but I had trouble finding somebody to do it b/c of the 922r crap.  I built a barrel wrench that I still have.  As long as the barrel nuts are the same it should work.  Ill give to anybody that pays shipping.  IM me.  Be forwarned.....barrel nut is on there GOOD.
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6543/august2010003.jpg

Very nice!
how difficult was it to cut and fill the stock, also what did you fill it in with?
I dodn't know if the barrel nuts are the same or not, but do you have a link to where I can get aftermarket parts?

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Do any of you guys run a suppresser on your CX4?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not mine but I wish it was...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/bqnestle/1z5p4js.jpg\http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/bqnestle/11cejc2.jpg

The stock has been shortened too.  

Enjoy

I would love to shoulder this to see how short it is and how it feels.

Link Posted: 1/2/2011 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/6543/august2010003.jpg

Very nice!
how difficult was it to cut and fill the stock, also what did you fill it in with?
I dodn't know if the barrel nuts are the same or not, but do you have a link to where I can get aftermarket parts?

Brownells carries the parts.  I filled the stock with engine block steel putty.  You could use an epoxy also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I PM'd for the barrel tool, really hope it hasn't been spoken for!  I've thought about selling it several times, but with the 922r compliant US parts & work I've had done to it I never have.  This thread has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for finishing this project, I'll be cutting my sights off this weekend.

I've run the CX4 Storm in 9MM suppressed with: Gemtech Trinity, Gemtech Multimount and YHM 9MM Wraith XL.  The ejection port noise is a bit loud, but it's really fun to shoot suppressed.  I usually keep a foam plug in my right ear since the smack of the bolt is a little loud.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I PM'd for the barrel tool, really hope it hasn't been spoken for!  I've thought about selling it several times, but with the 922r compliant US parts & work I've had done to it I never have.  This thread has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for finishing this project, I'll be cutting my sights off this weekend.

I've run the CX4 Storm in 9MM suppressed with: Gemtech Trinity, Gemtech Multimount and YHM 9MM Wraith XL.  The ejection port noise is a bit loud, but it's really fun to shoot suppressed.  I usually keep a foam plug in my right ear since the smack of the bolt is a little loud.

Did the "POI" change on you when you run it suppressed?
I would love to see some before and after pics of your CX4 too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Battle Star Galactica did

Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the "POI" change on you when you run it suppressed?
I would love to see some before and after pics of your CX4 too.

It's a back burner project that I never really finished.  I got drawn into my 22LR AR, 9MM AR and a few other things.  Never tested POI shift from suppressed to unsuppressed.  I don't know if I have any before pictures - I guess imagine a stock CX4.  I'll take some pics of it after in detail once the sights are done.  I didn't get a chance to chop the sights as I got called into work.  Not sure how long before I'll get free time to do it now.

***922r COMPLIANCE - http://www.sierrapapacx4.com/  this is where I got the US trigger & hammer parts.  Greatly improved trigger pull, it's adjustable for take up... much less sloppy.  A bit expensive - but I don't know of anywhere else to get it.  I guess once you thread/shorten the barrel it make it "not a sporting weapons" or some such BS.

Edit:

Added what pics I have:
Broken Down

US Trigger

US Hammer

3 lug - no suppressor

Suppressed

Side Profile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top