Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2013 5:01:10 PM EDT
I've been thinking of picking up one of these Emerson Karambits for an emergency defensive blade. I am roughly familiar with the philosophy behind these blades and I like the Idea, but I would like to get the hives opinion before I drop $270 on a knife?

ETA: Any other good Karambits out there that are cheeper than Emerson?
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I've recently started carrying a Fox 599.  I like it a lot, it has the Emerson wave feature, so it's quick to open.  So far my biggest complaint is there is no relief cut to access the liner lock, so closing the blade is a bit more awkward then the Emerson.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried a kbit years ago and very quickly decided it wasn't for me. I'll be training with Steve Tarani later this month. Might give it another go.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of picking up one of these Emerson Karambits for an emergency defensive blade. I am roughly familiar with the philosophy behind these blades and I like the Idea, but I would like to get the hives opinion before I drop $270 on a knife?

View Quote

If you look on the exchange here you can find them for anywhere from 150.00-180.00 and they're definitely worth it, the only version that comes to mind "cheeper" is the Fox licensed version with the Emerson Wave feature.  There are no others that come close in folding knives..... I've got the Emerson fixed and folding version... my favorite overall is the fixed one but I only carry the folding Combat Karambit because it's so easy to carry and I forget it's even there.

If you're looking for a fixed version (other than Emerson) I'd stay away from the Ontario..... every review I saw/read said they come dull as hell and when I got one in I was making a sheath for and then sending to Afghanistan for a soldier.... it was really dull.  I sharpened it on the Spyderco Sharpmaker and it didn't take too much since it was almost there but there was so much I didn't like about that knife.

The angle of the blade wasn't aggressive at all, I like my Karambit blades to "hook" and cut and the angle of the blade gave no advantage over a plain straight fixed blade (it's pretty straight) and the blade wasn't curved.  The scales are really, really, really thick.... I didn't measure but I'm sure it was thicker than an ESEE: Junglas and every part of the steel and Micarta that were exposed were sharp as hell....unlike the blade.

I've had a chance to play with the Bush Monkey Knives: Mandrake and it was far superior to the Ontario, as is the Emersion in my opinion.

The sheath also sucked on the Ontario but I know a guy

Unless you go custom (same or more money) I think the Emerson is the only way to go as far as production knives go.....especially if you want the Waved folder.  It's a really fast and effective knife/system and you'll be happy and probably forget what you paid for it once you have it.

Eli
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco is coming out with another kbit. It is waved.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the bullnose, well I say it wasnt really worth it for me.
As all Emersons the fit and finish is poor and I felt like I got a $100 karambit instead of a $300 one. Never seen that much pocket time for me really.
No doubt it's good for self defense but unless your familiar with karambits I wouldn't touch one till you are.
Seen some really bad accidental cuts with karambits, mine bit me today when I was doing some things with it.

In the ends it up to you OP, I'd check eBay for a good deal every so once and while.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Emerson, as well as the various Tarani commercial renditions, and a Strider. I carry the Emerson more, when out-and-about......So you may consider that for whatever it is worth. I am sure you probably already know the advantages of the Karambit, so I will not bore you. Suffice to say......Piercing, then cutting outward, has it's advantages. The S30V of the Tarani designed 5.11 is a welcomed feature, but when it comes down to it, I prefer the CM154 with the wave feature. The Emerson just feels good in the hand. This is not cutting the Tarani designs short, just slightly different feel. If you do happen to decide on a 5.11 version, a simple zip-tie modification, allows it to function similarly to the wave, though not as efficient (and certainly not as pretty). I personally prefer the standard size, vs. The Super, as it further adds to the advantage of the Karambit design of efficiency (just my view however).

PC
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
most amazing hawkbill ever made
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Emerson, as well as the various Tarani commercial renditions, and a Strider. I carry the Emerson more, when out-and-about......So you may consider that for whatever it is worth. I am sure you probably already know the advantages of the Karambit, so I will not bore you. Suffice to say......Piercing, then cutting outward, has it's advantages. The S30V of the Tarani designed 5.11 is a welcomed feature, but when it comes down to it, I prefer the CM154 with the wave feature. The Emerson just feels good in the hand. This is not cutting the Tarani designs short, just slightly different feel. If you do happen to decide on a 5.11 version, a simple zip-tie modification, allows it to function similarly to the wave, though not as efficient (and certainly not as pretty). I personally prefer the standard size, vs. The Super, as it further adds to the advantage of the Karambit design of efficiency (just my view however).

PC
View Quote

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
What the spyderco looks like (price found on the net $289.00, ouch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CswZ6x6xHM

I have the Emerson Karambit with the black blade. Very fast in deployment due to the wave, very sharp, be careful with the thin point on the blade (used to cut, not to pry, yeah don't ask), not cheap, but a good knife. The G10 is thicker than I would like and the finger hole is not solid for some reason (not a big deal but you can feel the two separate pieces of G10).  Don't buy one new, look on the exchange. I passed one up for $170.00 used. I was going to get another one as a back up to my current Emerson but it is just not needed, never an issue with my current one.

I also have the 5.11 version (original master), great knife, thinner than the Emerson, nice blade, solid finger hole (nice and smooth, good attention to detail), thicker, sturdier blade, it is larger but feels good in your hand. I wish this was a wave Karambit. I have been looking to buy another one so I can make the blade a wave myself. (not the zip tie but working on the blade itself)

Even though the blades are really short/small in length, every time I pull it out to cut something in public I get looks like I just ran over the neighbors puppy, even my wife says it just looks evil.  I treat it as a utility blade and use them often. I carry the 5.11 more often due to it being less expensive and more comfortable to carry due to its thin profile and better feeling in my hand.

I do like the way a Karambit folder feels in the hand, the finger hole makes for a very positive and secure feel.

Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Beautiful knife, not sure how it adds to the discussion of Karambits though.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Now that I've been carrying/using the Fox 599 for a few weeks, some deeper observations:

1.  I posted earlier that I would have preferred to have somewhat of a larger relief cut to access the liner lock.  Now that I have used the knife for awhile this is not much of an issue.  While it isn't as easy to get to the liner lock on this knife as it is on the Emerson, it isn't that tough to do.

2.  The G10 handle is WAY too aggressive in it's texture.  While I like somewhat of an aggressive grip when using the blade, this will wear your pocket out very quickly.  I actually sanded the inboard handle down to a bit smoother surface to reduce the wear to my clothing.

3.  The wave feature works great, and this knife is as fast to deploy as my Emerson and my Spyderco Pkal.

4.  The blade steel is excellent.  I touched up the blade after I got it, and after practicing with it on a foam and cardboard targets the blade continues to keep a very sharp edge.

All in all, the Fox is well worth the money and an excellent Karambit folder.  For now it has replaced my Emerson and the Spyderco as my daily carry knife.

My .02
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Just had a knife class that was heavy in both karambit and straight, karambits felt better for me.
So, I'm looking at an Emerson kbit as well.
The shame is that there just isn't anything else on the market that puts it all together like emerson.
I guess fox would be the closest, but as WayneG stated, it has some small drawbacks, but for about $100 less...
If your still thinking of buying new I found this deal.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just had a knife class that was heavy in both karambit and straight, karambits felt better for me.
So, I'm looking at an Emerson kbit as well.
The shame is that there just isn't anything else on the market that puts it all together like emerson.
I guess fox would be the closest, but as WayneG stated, it has some small drawbacks, but for about $100 less...
If your still thinking of buying new I found this deal.

View Quote

THats a pretty good deal.  I trolled ebay for about a week and found one for about 50 bucks less, it was a 03 model, but I dont care.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had you considered a fixed bladed Karambit?  I have one by Bark River Knives, it's a little bigger than the Emerson folder, but it does come with a very nice kydex sheath.  You can get one from DLT Trading for less than $200, and they are well worth it.

DBAR
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top