Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/2/2005 5:20:17 PM EDT
I don't have the pics and the servers, but I have dreamed of this thread so lets do it right.
In the bank shoot out, Al Pacino had an FN-FNC.
In the drive-in shoot out, Val Kilmer had an HK-91.
We have no idea why he does combat rolls and has his elbow doing silly things, however.
Pics of every freakin' gun in that whole movie needs to come out eventually.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]

How's that for definitive?  

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Never again will we hear the HEAT question.

Great pics.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
were the muzzle flashes done digitally in post production?  I know blanks don't do that, were they propane guns?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
were the muzzle flashes done digitally in post production?  I know blanks don't do that, were they propane guns?

blanks do flash.  You don't have to completely seal the barrel to make them cycle.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't have the pics and the servers, but I have dreamed of this thread so lets do it right.
In the bank shoot out, Al Pacino had an FN-FNC.

In the drive-in shoot out, Val Kilmer had an HK-91.

Hk91? Not a G3?

What about the shotgun Tom Sizemore uses in the drive-in scene? Benneli M1 Super 90?

What's the gun that the guy at the drive-in has? Kind of looks like a Steyr TMP?

Might as well do all the guns used based on the pictures.

Kick ass screen-shots. I always thought the goalie masks they were were just the coolest part of that scene. I've considered buying on just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
You can never talk to much about HEAT.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone always forgets that Neal had a USP until he used it at the drive-in.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Sizemore uses a Benelli M3 Super 90

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Everyone always forgets that Neal had a USP until he used it at the drive-in.

members.cox.net/wombatpics/HEAT04USP.JPG

members.cox.net/wombatpics/HEAT05.jpg

Then he switched to a SIG P220

Pacino's gun was a Colt 1991A1 Compact with ivory grips.  Ive seen pictures of the actual one used in the movie.

Mick Gould was the former British SAS member who was the firearms and tactics advisor on both Heat and Collateral.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the theatrical blanks are designed to create muzzle flash as most of the normal flash one would expect doesn't show up on movie speed film.

Very true.  I used to do airshows and we would carry authentic weapons sometimes and you had to ask for "realistic" or "movie" blanks from the manufacturers.  The movie blanks were not loud at all but had a tremendous fireball.  The realistic blanks were
almost as loud as live ammo, and little to no flash.

Movie blanks took a smaller diameter orifice in the BFA than when using realistic blanks
to still operate the weapon.

Interesting side note on blanks.  Up until the late 50's not all blanks were not crimped as they are now.
30-06 blanks were the standard and they used a balsa wood bullet and the blank firing adapter
was similar to a cheese grater in that when you fired the weapon the BFA would cause the wooden
bullte to disintegrate at the muzzle, spewing out sawdust.

If you fired one of these at someone, even at a reasonable distance, they could be seriously injured from slivers
of balsa wood.  These BFAs were used on Garands and BAR's for sure.  I do not know if there was
a balsa wood BFA in .308 for M14's.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/100_0572.jpg
www.autoglassparts.com/heatpics/heat0011.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/100_0823.jpg

I'm not too versed on Benelli shotguns... or shotguns in general. How can you tell it's an M3 and not an M1?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mick Gould was the former British SAS member who was the firearms and tactics advisor on both Heat and Collateral.

Andy McNab also served as a "technical weapons training" advisor with Gould in both films.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Finally no more being called down for even mentioning HEAT. I love this movie. Some how it was released to the Theaters without me knowing it. I remember renting it on VHS with little expectation as I had never heard of it before. Man was I wrong. What I didn't understand is why it took so long to be released on DVD. I actually wrote the Studio several times asking what gives. Never a reply but alas it came out.

Hopefully this proves my credentials as a Heat fan.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/100_0572.jpg
www.autoglassparts.com/heatpics/heat0011.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/100_0823.jpg

I'm not to versed on Benelli shotguns... or shotguns in general. How can you tell it's an M3 and not an M1?

M1=auto
M3=pump & auto (Sizemore shucks it in the pump mode, so it's definately not an M1)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
M1=auto
M3=pump & auto (Sizemore shucks it in the pump mode, so it's definately not an M1)

That certainly answers my question. Thanks dude.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#18]
This seems a little dangerous if you ask me. I'm a fan of press checks but not with my thumb inside the trigger guard.

I thought this pic weird also. Kilmer shooting it like a paintball gun.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This seems a little dangerous if you ask me. I'm a fan of press checks but not with my thumb inside the trigger guard.

www.whiskeytangofoxtrotover.com/images/Heat/press_check.jpg

Bomber

I thought the same thing when I took it. Look at wangrove's trigger discipline too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.whiskeytangofoxtrotover.com/images/Heat/press_check.jpg

Bomber

I thought the same thing when I took it. Look at wangrove's trigger discipline too.

or Kilmer....Keeping both eyes open is one thing but doing it when your head is completely to the side of the sights is another
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#21]
It's interesting to watch the firefights in slo-mo, you can tell the training paid off but in some scenes you think "ok, a few more weeks of it might have been a good idea". Still one of the best firearm movies ever.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This seems a little dangerous if you ask me. I'm a fan of press checks but not with my thumb I thought this pic weird also. Kilmer shooting it like a paintball gun.

www.autoglassparts.com/heatpics/heat0033.jpg

Bomber

What's the point of using the rear sight when you are wearing sunglasses, and firing full auto at a line of cop cars 100 yards away?  They weren't putting out accurate fire, they were putting out suppressive fire.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This seems a little dangerous if you ask me. I'm a fan of press checks but not with my thumb I thought this pic weird also. Kilmer shooting it like a paintball gun.

www.autoglassparts.com/heatpics/heat0033.jpg

Bomber

What's the point of using the rear sight when you are wearing sunglasses, and firing full auto at a line of cop cars 100 yards away?  They weren't putting out accurate fire, they were putting out suppressive fire.  

In that case both eyes open and shoot over the front sightpost...besides he looks scared (spray and pray).......don't get me wrong, it's my favorite shootout of all time. To bad David Palmer gets killed in it.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

or Kilmer....Keeping both eyes open is one thing but doing it when your head is completely to the side of the sights is another

You're good....I can't even see his eyes through those shades.....Let's see a better pic of that home theater.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're good....I can't even see his eyes through those shades.....Let's see a better pic of that home theater.

I would love to host a movie night/day at my house. Anyone up for it? We could do beers/wine/drink and hor 'ouvres or what ever.

Bomber

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the theatrical blanks are designed to create muzzle flash as most of the normal flash one would expect doesn't show up on movie speed film.

Very true.  I used to do airshows and we would carry authentic weapons sometimes and you had to ask for "realistic" or "movie" blanks from the manufacturers.  The movie blanks were not loud at all but had a tremendous fireball.  The realistic blanks were
almost as loud as live ammo, and little to no flash.

Movie blanks took a smaller diameter orifice in the BFA than when using realistic blanks
to still operate the weapon.

Interesting side note on blanks.  Up until the late 50's not all blanks were not crimped as they are now.
30-06 blanks were the standard and they used a balsa wood bullet and the blank firing adapter
was similar to a cheese grater in that when you fired the weapon the BFA would cause the wooden
bullte to disintegrate at the muzzle, spewing out sawdust.

If you fired one of these at someone, even at a reasonable distance, they could be seriously injured from slivers
of balsa wood.  These BFAs were used on Garands and BAR's for sure.  I do not know if there was
a balsa wood BFA in .308 for M14's.

you wouldn't happen to know where to get theatrical blanks?  My film student friend would love for me to find some so he and I can work on filming shoot out scenes.  How would a blank adaptor work to allow a flash? just have a hole in it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#27]

what's the little hole on the mag?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Interesting side note on blanks.  

[snip]

The .44 Magnum Paper Blank Death of Jon-Erik Hexum

I'm pretty sure Pacino's sidearm was a Colt Officer's ACP.

And since this is good place to mention Michael Mann's 1981 "THIEF" starring James Caan, I will.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a Michael Mann thread in "General Discussion"...  But I guess this is at least the right forum.
Not to stomp on this thread too much, I did think there were a lot of parallels between Heat and Thief.  I think Jimmy Caan even has a line about "just walking away" if the heat gets too much.  Ya know, I think I may have sold my VHS of Thief at the last garage sale

I still have my Heat dvd though!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#31]
From the sound of it, I need to run out and get Theif. I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#32]
IIRC, Steyr Aug has the definitive thread about Thief w/ regard to Heat.

Screen caps, pics of the major players, etc.

Will do some searching.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Many, many similarities between Thief and Heat.

BTW, I have one of the gag jackets that Jim Belushi was shotgunned to death in in Thief, complete with lead squib backs, wiring harness, protective leather pads, extremely mangled and soaked with fake blood stains. The film was shot in Chicago and Caan's character's used car lot belonged to the father of a friend of my brother's. There were two takes of that scene and, hence, two jackets, of which I have one.

It's for sale, BTW....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:55:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.autoglassparts.com/heatpics/heat0008.jpg
what's the little hole on the mag?

It looks like a charging jack.

Are you thinking propane....or electric? Looks like an airsoft GBB charging orifice.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Are you thinking propane....or electric? Looks like an airsoft GBB charging orifice.
Bomber

Airsoft has been around that long?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bomber

Airsoft has been around that long?

Since mid 90s at least.
I am starting to see a locked and tacked thread with the word, "Heat" in it.

Actually....early 80's. The Japanese came out with some super realistic gas operated ones in the beginning and then evolved into the electric ones of today....but then again, who wants to talk about toys in a gun forum LOL

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#41]
The "hollywood" BFA's are actually machined metal discs w/ small holes in them, to allow certain amounts of gas/flash to escape for visual effect. They restrict enough gas to allow the weapons to cycle normally.

BTW, I had a Daisy Airsoft S&W 59 & Rem 870 in 1985.... A buddy of mind had a S&W 39 blowback model (Japanese, IIRC) that used caps and had fake brasscartridges that ejected about the same time period.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#43]
REDHORSE, damn nice work!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Dude, I'm speachless!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Might as well add the official video.

Heat - The Dope Mix
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Hk91? Not a G3?

91 not a G3. No 3rd selector position or paddle mag.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
img48.imageshack.us/img48/4628/heatvalkilmerg35co.jpg

Again a 91 not a G3. No 3rd position on the selector and no paddle mag.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a paddle mag?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a paddle mag?

Paddle magazine release. Found on the select fire version of HK rifles (MP5, G3, 33) but not on the semi auto 90 series.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top