Quoted:
Looks like im cutting the cord finally.

On sale for $24.99.
This will save me $165/mo.
View Quote
Unless it's jailbroken you just bought another cord
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
While I often use a PC to do my online streaming, we bought one of these fire sticks and put Kodi on it.  I'm not impressed.  It's slow, clunky, half the time never loads, etc.  A waste of money IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the missing link I can click on
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Firestick and Roku.

The Firestick is an inferior product by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have Firestick and Roku.

The Firestick is an inferior product by a wide margin.
View Quote
Yep.  Get a refurbed Roku stick for $30 way better product.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
People say they're "cutting the cord," but you still have to pay for high-speed internet.  Around here, you can get a bundle package that costs you maybe $10 more than just paying for internet that will get you basic cable as well.  I don't see where it's saving you very much when you have to pay $14 a month for Netflix, $99 a year for Amazon Prime, $12 a month for Hulu, etc...
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
we have 5 phones in the house, all with unlimited data.
we can use the phone hotspot and ditch the comcast internet package too.

i plan to jailbreak the firesticks... so thats not an issue.

119,000 reviews on amazon was enough to sell me on the firestick.
i also have an antenna in the attic that gets me all the local stuff in HD.

We also already pay for amazon prime... so no addl expenses here other than initial purchase price for the stick.

we will dump comcast entirely and save $165/mo
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People say they're "cutting the cord," but you still have to pay for high-speed internet.  Around here, you can get a bundle package that costs you maybe $10 more than just paying for internet that will get you basic cable as well.  I don't see where it's saving you very much when you have to pay $14 a month for Netflix, $99 a year for Amazon Prime, $12 a month for Hulu, etc...
View Quote
This is exactly where I am at with this whole "cutting the cord" business...
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is exactly where I am at with this whole "cutting the cord" business...
View Quote
Our cell phone plan has unlimited data.
We can use that to access www... essentially for free since we already pay for the cell phone plan.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's $30 more here for basic cable, and I'd much rather have Netflix.  And it costs less.  I pay for Prime for the shipping, so the video is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's $30 more here for basic cable, and I'd much rather have Netflix.  And it costs less.  I pay for Prime for the shipping, so the video is just a bonus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ditto.

Not to mention that Netflix is like having Showtime and HBO, which would be ANOTHER $30 a month. My cable bill was $135ish, now it is $70.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We can use that to access www... essentially for free since we already pay for the cell phone plan.
View Quote
Cell data is kinda sketchy for HD streaming. You may want to do some testing first. Forget about 4K.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your doing it wrong ..

That's not how you cut the cord

This is how you cut the cord

https://terrariumtv.com/  need the firestick  that wimpy ruku isn't gonna cut it
And the ad free version ( non official)
Http://Tiny.cc/183af

If that's not enough get an iptv service for every channel known to man for 10 -14 bucks a month

That's how you "cut the cord "
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
we have 5 phones in the house, all with unlimited data.
we can use the phone hotspot and ditch the comcast internet package too.

i plan to jailbreak the firesticks... so thats not an issue.

119,000 reviews on amazon was enough to sell me on the firestick.
i also have an antenna in the attic that gets me all the local stuff in HD.

We also already pay for amazon prime... so no addl expenses here other than initial purchase price for the stick.

we will dump comcast entirely and save $165/mo
View Quote
Careful, almost every single "unlimited plan" is limited.  They run at full speed until you hit the monthly cap (usually 20 gigs) then they slow to a crawl.  They still work fine for internet surfing, just not nearly fast enough to stream video.  Many also specifically throttle video streaming after the cap is reached. Streaming 1080p will hit that cap very fast.  The average 2 hour movie in HD is around 6 gigs of data streaming.  If you could use a phone for truly unlimited data, everyone on the planet would be doing it and no one would pay for a wired internet service.

I turned off my cable TV and have been using streaming to replace it about 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cell data is kinda sketchy for HD streaming. You may want to do some testing first. Forget about 4K.
View Quote
We wont cancal anything until this stuff is all up and running to my satisfaction.

Even if i drop comcast to internet only it will save a ton of money.
we pay $50/mo just in cable box rental fees.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Do it, kodi is easy to install on it. Monday I’m call time Warner Monday and cancel they’re service
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I do speed tests.  My cable modem gives us 60/mbps.  Cell phone gets 75/mbps.  That’s not good enough for 4k?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We wont cancal anything until this stuff is all up and running to my satisfaction.

Even if i drop comcast to internet only it will save a ton of money.
we pay $50/mo just in cable box rental fees.
View Quote
No you won't.  It works as a package.  If you drop your TV and just keep your internet they will raise the monthly cost of your internet.  It is still cheaper, at least for me, but you can't just cut out the cost of your tv and keep your comcast internet at the same rate. At least I could not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I do speed tests.  My cable modem gives us 60/mbps.  Cell phone gets 75/mbps.  That's not good enough for 4k?
View Quote
Until you hit the cap on your "unlimited" plan.  Then the throughput will throttle drastically.  Like I said, if it was a viable replacement, no-one would pay the additional cost of broadband internet.  It's a great idea, but cellular providers thought of it a long time ago and don't want to deal with you using their pipe to stream HD video 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
One final FYI, Comcast broadband also has a monthly cap on the standard residential service. It's 2 terabytes a month.  For a long while they were not enforcing it, I don't know if they are now or not. I had to have my modem replaced a few months ago, the tech that showed up did mention he has seen people throttled due to huge amounts of data every month, usually using bit torrent. I don't and I don't think I have ever hit it, if I have, they have not cared yet.

I work from home using Comcast standard service and stream mostly HD video in the background all day long, they have never throttled me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your doing it wrong ..

https://terrariumtv.com/  need the firestick  that wimpy ruku isn't gonna cut it

If that's not enough get an iptv service for every channel known to man for 10 -14 bucks a month

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your doing it wrong ..

But again, you're NOT actually cutting the cord---you're still paying the cable company for high-speed internet, and they charge you more for it if you get it by itself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
OP there are better options in my opinion.  Look into Hustler or Francis. Or a steel whip cut to the band
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

But again, you're NOT actually cutting the cord---you're still paying the cable company for high-speed internet, and they charge you more for it if you get it by itself.
View Quote
i pay  54.99 for 100mb
i would pay for that  no matter what.. im ok with that .

for that  54.99   i  get  every show  ever aired (  ok almost  )
this includes the entire library  of hulu  / netflix / and amazon

i used to pay  for IPTV service   every channel  / every PPV event / everything for 12.99 a month..

then i learned how to  find the streams my self and host them .   then  even learned how to create an EPG  for it..

so my  cost  of 54.99  gets me internet
that gets me EVERYTHING ELSE

if your expecting to  get  an  over the air ant to get you all the above.   thats not  going to happen

you need internet
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unless it's jailbroken you just bought another cord
View Quote
You don’t jailbreak Fire TV products (yet).  Side loading the play store is far from jailbreaking.

My brother’s ex was bragging about buying hers...  for $100 extra because somebody spent 15 minutes installing Kodi.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol@ any of you that pay for tv, online streamed or otherwise
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gosh, you're so edgy.  I want to be like you...
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This verson has 2x the processor and 2x the RAM. my new firestick is faster then my FireTV and my old Stick hands down.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No you won't.  It works as a package.  If you drop your TV and just keep your internet they will raise the monthly cost of your internet.  It is still cheaper, at least for me, but you can't just cut out the cost of your tv and keep your comcast internet at the same rate. At least I could not.
View Quote
The benefits of living in a place with two cable companies,  I can get them to make me a deal.

Comcast says that they won’t do internet only packages right now,  but I can call them and tell them that Wide Open West will do it for me and for how much.

My bill is under $60 after taxes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Many of us are not thieves.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You don’t jailbreak Fire TV products (yet).  Side loading the play store is far from jailbreaking.

My brother’s ex was bragging about buying hers...  for $100 extra because somebody spent 15 minutes installing Kodi.
View Quote
wiat  till she finds out that URL resolver got shut  down a few days ago.   they were the backbone of kodi..

there are work arounds  but if she paid to  get kodi she isnt  going to  know how to do it herself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The benefits of living in a place with two cable companies,  I can get them to make me a deal.

Comcast says that they won't do internet only packages right now,  but I can call them and tell them that Wide Open West will do it for me and for how much.

My bill is under $60 after taxes.
View Quote
I didn't know they didn't offer internet only packages anymore.  I have had just internet for about 4 years now, I pay just over $70 a month (well, my employer does).  Sounds like you got a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Dropping the cable package saved $154/mo . We were already paying for nexflix and Amazon Prime, so we added Hulu. So we saved $154-$12=$142. That is a big fucking win for me. Even paying for all the little services its still money saved.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dropping the cable package saved $154/mo . We were already paying for nexflix and Amazon Prime, so we added Hulu. So we saved $154-$12=$142. That is a big fucking win for me. Even paying for all the little services its still money saved.
View Quote
I agree, I have $7 a month for netflix (the old grandfathered rate), $10 a month for Hulu and whatever amazon is ($70 a year? I forget).  Honestly amazon prime video sucks, they still want to charge you additional for newer stuff, it's bullshit.  I keep it for the free shipping though, I use it enough to make it worth it.  That and the grand tour .

Between those and streaming shows on CBS, ABC, NBC, whatever from their websites for free the day after they air on TV as well as youtube, I have never run out of things to watch.

Once in a great while I might have to stick fingers in my ears until the next day when I can watch it for free on the network's site if some big episode airs and people are talking about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Where I am, they don't offer high speed wired internet so to get a basic satellite package would cost me over $100 a month. I pay $85 for a 4g wireless plan that has a 50gb softcap they never enforce (since I need internet anyway) and just watch a lot of shit off Netflix and YouTube. They don't meter video data towards your 50gb.

Amazon prime saves money regardless if you buy a lot from Amazon, and I doubt most people buy all the streaming services. Even then those services have some exclusives over cable a lot of the time and if late all the hot series appear to be Netflix series like mindhunter and the punisher.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
So paying for amazon prime,Netflix and hulu is stealing?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So paying for amazon prime,Netflix and hulu is stealing?
View Quote
No, not only did I not say that, I do those things myself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Is this where you drop Net Neutrality in?  I don't know what fire stick really does, have a kodi box but quit using it about a year ago.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, not only did I not say that, I do those things myself.
View Quote
Ok sorry i must have not read everything before i replied.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is this where you drop Net Neutrality in?  I don't know what fire stick really does, have a kodi box but quit using it about a year ago.
View Quote
The device is just a way to display streamed content on your TV screen.  You can do the same thing using something like a chromecast, Roku, or an HDMI cable running from your computer to your TV.  Kodi is software that can run on the firestick, your computer etc that can be used to organize your own content or stream content, from both legitimate legal sources or....elsewhere.  You have to intentionally configure Kodi to go search for specific questionable sources, it's not something you will do by accident.

It sounds like elsewhere has recently changed, I don't know the details of the latter.  Two people I know ended up getting notices from Comcast/content creators (in this case MTV) to "knock it off" in their mail after using bit torrent and other...sources to stream video.  The notices contained references to what they had sourced, one being Teen Mom 2 of all fucking things.  He admitted he did download a season of it via bit torrent for his wife.  Apparently Comcast has some sort of strike system and after X strikes they will cut service for a year.  That's what the notice said anyway.

In addition to having my own personal morals on the topic, I use my connection for my job and my employer pays for it.  As such, I stick to legitimate sources and pay for content if I want to see it bad enough.

Kodi itself, like a peer to peer sharing platform such as bit torrent are perfectly legitimate.  Things just get hairy when people use them to do things that are questionable.

This topic has been known to lead to lengthy discussions about what is legal, who is at fault, the host or the client, who the host is, considering it is almost always fragmented etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I have Kodi on the firestick. Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" but I don't see it as a replacement for cable. It's great if you know exactly what you're looking for,but it's a pain to browse from.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know of any plans that have tv and internet for that little extra. Around here it's at best double the price and that's usually an introductory offer that doesn't last long. Even at ~20 a month for both Amazon and Netflix it's still saving money.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Comcast Business Class doesn't have caps on data usage, just thought I'd mention that.  And for $5 more, they give a basic TV offering that has like 20 channels.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Comcast Business Class doesn't have caps on data usage, just thought I'd mention that.  And for $5 more, they give a basic TV offering that has like 20 channels.
View Quote
It also comes with much faster response times to send a tech out if needed. Standard service is usually at least 3 days.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who says I’m a theif? Nice assumption.

I don’t watch any new shows or tv. Nice try though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who says I'm a theif? Nice assumption.

I don't watch any new shows or tv. Nice try though.
View Quote
I didn't assume or try anything. You know exactly what you implied when you loled at people who "pay" for said things and then included that emoticon.  You didn't say you don't watch current tv in your post, you laughed at people who specifically pay for current content. You were trying to be edgy, this is not a new topic here.  People back peddle on it often.

I never said you were anything, I just said what some of us are not.

Good job on not watching TV though, I hear it rots your brain .
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the problem that I have.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Enjoy the set up on the fire stick.

My idiot self just set it up along with a echo dot and smart outlet plugs, all i can say it was not that fun.
The mistake i made is i was trying to run the apps on my gaming computer that is hard wired to the network.

After i grabbed a smart phone and used it for the apps the set up was easy.
Also never try to set up 3 things at one time and get them working together do it one at a time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have Kodi on the firestick. Maybe I'm "doing it wrong" but I don't see it as a replacement for cable. It's great if you know exactly what you're looking for,but it's a pain to browse from.
View Quote
that's why you just get basic and use fire stick to watch movies, I think the firebox works better
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Well the firesticks arrived today and all i can say is its a big fat waste of fucking money.
Went through all the kodi bullshit... which took fucking hours... only to find that most of the shit i click on takes forever to load, or wont load at all.

I dont have the fucking patience for this stupid bullshit.

I want to turn the goddamn tv on, pick a program and watch it.

What a waste of time.

My wife is now on the www trying to figure out how to use the damn thing since im now done with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top