Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 3/12/2019 10:42:15 AM EDT
https://abcnews.go.com/US/actresses-ceos-arrested-nationwide-college-admissions-cheating-scam/story?id=61627873&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Actresses and chief executives are among 50 people arrested in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to court records unsealed in Boston Tuesday.

Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.
View Quote
More info and a press conference coming at 11:30...

ETA:  Some more info:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was OK to give a private college extra money to get your kids in. Hasn't this been going on pretty much forever?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Something like 40 people charged....trying to find the indictment(s) now...

lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
And what does this have to do with the NCAA?

ETA:
There was no mention of any athletics stuff in the first link posted in the OP.  Guess it's in the indictment.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought it was OK to give a private college extra money to get your kids in. Hasn't this been going on pretty much forever?
View Quote
Looks like it was a cheating scheme on entrance exams and students were getting athletic "scholarships" in sports they didn't play...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And what does this have to do with the NCAA?
View Quote
I think it's the athletic scholarships being misused...

ETA:  I edited the title to be more precise...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#8]
What does this have to do with the NCAA? It sounds like it's admissions related and has nothing to do with the NCAA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
If it's "Build a college a new library" money, that's one thing.  If it's "Here's a check to write my dumbass kid a scholarship for full-contact checkers" money, that's a whole other animal.  Apparently.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like it was a cheating scheme on entrance exams and students were getting athletic "scholarships" in sports they didn't play...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My friend’s father went to school with the track coach of a big State school. When my friend didn’t get into the big State school she all of sudden got a $1 scholarship for track at the big State school.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the actresses paid 500K to have her daughters listed as recruits on the USC crew team even though neither did crew.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My friend’s father went to school with the track coach of a big State school. When my friend didn’t get into the big State school she all of sudden got a $1 scholarship for track at the big State school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must be nice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#13]
It will be interesting to see how this network operated.  Guess someone found a loose thread and started pulling.  It will also be interesting to see which coaches, or which levels of coaches, were involved.  Same goes for admin officials.  Bet some of those $46k/year admin officials had some rockin' bank accounts.

Curious to see how the NCAA comes down on this if this does have meaningful ties to athletic programs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I kind of assuming that in some of these sports the schools have more scholarship "slots" than funds to actually cover the scholarships?  Otherwise these "fake" scholarships would be hurting the programs...

Not really sure how it works outside of football...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it's "Build a college a new library" money, that's one thing.  If it's "Here's a check to write my dumbass kid a scholarship for full-contact checkers" money, that's a whole other animal.  Apparently.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see how this network operated.  Guess someone found a loose thread and started pulling.  It will also be interesting to see which coaches, or which levels of coaches, were involved.  Same goes for admin officials.  Bet some of those $46k/year admin officials had some rockin' bank accounts.

Curious to see how the NCAA comes down on this if this does have meaningful ties to athletic programs.
View Quote
After the UNC cheating scandal I'm assuming that if the school is at/near the top of the nation for that sport then the NCAA won't do anything to them.  If the school has some middling program nobody cares about then I'm sure they'll come down on them harshly.

But I'm a cynic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
First thing I thought of.  LOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

After the UNC cheating scandal I'm assuming that if the school is at/near the top of the nation for that sport then the NCAA won't do anything to them.  If the school has some middling program nobody cares about then I'm sure they'll come down on them harshly.

But I'm a cynic
View Quote
Understatement of the year
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Ouch.  That footnote...

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#20]
lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
This guy's got a thread on twitter where he's linking to the indictment(s):

Still trying to find a link to the original court docs...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#22]
At affluent campuses in district, they are know as the "brown mafia", Indians and Asians, who work together to steal tests and keep amongst themselves, to the exclusions of the white students (for some reasons they aren't worried about other children - read black and Mexicans) for GPA purposes.
When they get caught, their parents are the first to show up with their lawyers too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/actresses-ceos-arrested-nationwide-college-admissions-cheating-scam/story?id=61627873&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Actresses and chief executives are among 50 people arrested in a nationwide college admissions cheating scam, according to court records unsealed in Boston Tuesday.

Those indicted allegedly paid bribes of up to $6 million to get their children into elite colleges, including Yale, Stanford, Georgetown and the University of Southern California, federal prosecutors said.
View Quote

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/feds-uncover-massive-college-entrance-exam-cheating-plot-n982136
View Quote
Why do we care that rich people pay extra money to get their kids into school?  Cliff’s notes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why do we care that rich people pay extra money to get their kids into school?  Cliff’s notes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because cronyism sucks?

Because every time Brayden, Tanner and Cody's parents pay money under the table to get their dumb dumb kids into college they're keeping 3 smart kids from getting into school that don't have an extra $500K - 1,000,000 laying around for bribes?

The process should be fair and transparent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#25]
The idea of some folks who work at Georgetown, Yale, etc. going to prison gets me excited too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I volunteer to put the cuffs on Lori Loghlin and also do the strip search.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
500K to buy your way into USC? Always nice to see some Hollywood elites taken down a slot. I'll bet they all railed against TRump at election time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#28]
None of these rich turds will be going to jail.  Don't care about the rich people games that we all know they play.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why?

IMHO, if it isn't a state school, a private school should be allowed to admit anybody they want for any reason.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm just impressed at the perceived value of getting your kid into those schools when it's clear that they aren't competitive with the other students. Really speaks to the notion that for a number of those institutions, whom one rubs shoulders with is more important than what knowledge one carries away at graduation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because cronyism sucks?

Because every time Brayden, Tanner and Cody's parents pay money under the table to get their dumb dumb kids into college they're keeping 3 smart kids from getting into school that don't have an extra $500K - 1,000,000 laying around for bribes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do we care that rich people pay extra money to get their kids into school?  Cliff's notes.
Because cronyism sucks?

If it's a private school why the wide world of sports should law enforcement be involved? It seems like a civil matter at worst and none of your damn business as a standard.

This is is why you never let the government's nose under the tent.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If it's a private school why the wide world of sports should law enforcement be involved? It seems like a civil matter at worst and none of your damn business as a standard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

IMHO, if it isn't a state school, a private school should be allowed to admit anybody they want for any reason.
I'm sympathetic to the idea of "Their business their rules" - as long as the process is transparent.

I draw the line at mail fraud, however.  It seems like what's been reported thus far is a group of people scheming to abuse the athletic scholarship program to get around the school's academic requirements...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Accept no .gov aid to students then let in f'in 'tards if they want.

As is, taxpayers subsidize insane college tuition and fees.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Lol

Actress I suppose dem voters then?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Journalists that reference court documents and then don't provide a link to said court documents should be fired into the sun...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Certain groups cheat as a way of life and consider you a dullard and a chump if you don't.

Great for America, medicine, law, you know, the fabric of the first world.

Fuck sports scholarships from any sport that doesn't provide net income to the schools.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#40]
This is fucking epic.

Absolutely MAGA.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
lol

That's just pathetic.
View Quote
Upset you missed out on a secondary revenue stream?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#42]
OPERATION VARSITY BLUES...........LOL
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Thinking back to some of the dumbshit motherfuckers I met in college, which is the reason why I dropped out of a MA program, I can't fathom dropping 500k to go to USC or any school. Your famous. Your kid will go somewhere that doesn't entirely suck.

I met kids in college that I'm dead certain were fucking illiterate. If a celeb's kid needed help to get a college entrance ACT/SAT score, well, somebody make sure they can fog a mirror too.

Felicity Huffman at least is a huge Dem supporter and abortion supporter. So lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Wouldn't it be funny if this was the first step in destroying HRC? Please, please, please.....find evidence that they did this for Chelsea.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#45]
This press conference is a joke with what the guy is saying.  Fair shot....hard work....
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman are among 50 people charged in massive college entrance exam cheating scandal in which parents paid up to $6M in bribes to get their kids into elite schools like Yale, Georgetown and Stanford

'Beginning in or about 2011, and continuing through the present, the defendants -- principally individuals whose high-school age children were applying to college -- conspired with others to use bribery and other forms of fraud to facilitate their children's admission to colleges and universities in the District of Massachusetts and elsewhere, including Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and the University of Southern California -- Los Angeles,' stated the 200 page document that was filed on Tuesday.

Loughlin and Giannulli 'agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team - despite the fact that they did not participate in crew - thereby facilitating their admission to USC,' according to the documents.

Huffman paid a $15,000 'charitable contribution 'to participate in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on behalf of her eldest daughter,' states the complaint.

More
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#48]
LIVE

FNN: Joe Biden hints at 2020; Tuesday Top Stories from Across the Country
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#49]
nevermind...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#50]
IRS Criminal division is involved. They will get them for even more shit now.

*They found they were using a charity to funnel over $25 million through it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top