BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 4/19/2022 6:58:36 PM EDT
Searched and didn't see it posted yet.

SIG has been awarded the NGSW contract.

Now they have the contract for our Carbine, Light Machine gun and the ammo for both, as well as the Pistol contract, and contract for pistol ammo.

Congrats SIG!

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/04/19/sig-sauer-wins-ngsw/
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how much these payoffs are. They must be YUGE
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My gut feel says this will be a failure and in <10 years we will be looking for a replacement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
want
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuckin' A man.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

10%
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I kinda want an MPX but I’m afraid sig will drop them in a few years like everything else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the cool but weird ammo is going to kill this program in the long run.  It is too different from what everyone else is tooled up to produce.  No doubt in my mind that if we designed the AR today it would be in a 6/6.5 caliber, but probably something more akin to a 6ARC or 6.5G.  New ammo tech that still carries like an intermediate cartridge but blurs the line with battle rifle like performance down range.

I think we would be smart to start looking at newer calibers in our current platforms but not steel headed cases.  Even with the amazing pressures they can achieve.  NATO isn’t going to follow us down the caliber rabbit hole like they did with the 7.62 when they had a perfectly good caliber and weapon in the FAL and 280 Brit.

-Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Their reps gave the best blow jobs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably not needed when the competition was a bullpup, and a cased telescope design.   Both are too European and would never been adopted by Americans.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Why are we going back to a battle rifle?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Joglee thread?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I am sure SIG will get to the MPX conversion kits after this contract
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
i bet that it will get dropped. . .
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Will we ever see commercial ammo loaded to the full 80k psi spec?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the cool but weird ammo is going to kill this program in the long run.  It is too different from what everyone else is tooled up to produce.  No doubt in my mind that if we designed the AR today it would be in a 6/6.5 caliber, but probably something more akin to a 6ARC or 6.5G.  New ammo tech that still carries like an intermediate cartridge but blurs the line with battle rifle like performance down range.

I think we would be smart to start looking at newer calibers in our current platforms but not steel headed cases.  Even with the amazing pressures they can achieve.  NATO isn’t going to follow us down the caliber rabbit hole like they did with the 7.62 when they had a perfectly good caliber and weapon in the FAL and 280 Brit.

-Mike
View Quote

It can shoot regular ammo too…

Brass cased 277
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#19]
lets gooooo

In
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Will we ever see commercial ammo loaded to the full 80k psi spec?
View Quote

Bought some just to have it
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why are we going back to a battle rifle?
View Quote

To kill Chinese at long range.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

it seems Sig is really really good at govt lobbying.  incredibly good.  no other mfr even comes close to Sig's govt marketing & lobbying corp.  They are slick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Brass cased 277
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Mike

Brass cased 277

Sure, at 250 fps slower velocities.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this why @narphenal left ARFCOM for a while?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
As usual, @Narphenal is on the cutting edge.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

it seems Sig is really really good at govt lobbying.  incredibly good.  no other mfr even comes close to Sig's govt marketing & lobbying corp.  They are slick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Brass cased 277
View Quote

Interesting, they wouldn't see the gains in performance obviously… but I would expect a much easier sell to Allies.

-Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I foresee some casehead separations and unreliable function with the high chamber pressure in extraction and cycling with various length gas systems.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is this why @narphenal left ARFCOM for a while?
View Quote

He was a prophet. He told you all it was better than the AR15 and some of you didn't listen. Now here is the proof. Will everyone now fall in line with how wonderful Tay Tay is?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean the SPEAR is better than the competition IMO
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I kinda want an MPX but I’m afraid sig will drop them in a few years like everything else.
View Quote

Get one.  You will love it.  Even if they drop it, they commit to repairs and warranty anyhow.

Love mine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Interesting, they wouldn't see the gains in performance obviously but I would expect a much easier sell to Allies.

-Mike
View Quote

Currently OOS

https://www.sigsauer.com/accubond-277-sig-fury-hybrid.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel like this isn’t going to go anywhere and will die before it gets off the ground. It’s a cool concept, but the rifle is massive and heavy, and NATO and our Allie’s likely won’t follow us into this change. I bet it’ll be gone in 10 years max

A cartridge like the 224 Valkyrie necked up to 6mm would be interesting as a 556 replacement, and with 80-90gr bullets the armor penetration should be good, while keeping weight and cost down
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, they wouldn't see the gains in performance obviously but I would expect a much easier sell to Allies.

-Mike

Currently OOS

https://www.sigsauer.com/accubond-277-sig-fury-hybrid.html

Sig likes to develop products that never really come in stock.  Although at that price point the profit might be enough to keep their attention for a while.

-Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I foresee some casehead separations and unreliable function with the high chamber pressure in extraction and cycling with various length gas systems.
View Quote

That's the whole reason for the hybrid case.  The high strength steel casehead doesn't swell under high pressure, yet the brass front half is ductile to stretch within a safe headspace range to prevent case head seperation and difficult extraction.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I feel like this isn’t going to go anywhere and will die before it gets off the ground. It’s a cool concept, but the rifle is massive and heavy, and NATO and our Allie’s likely won’t follow us into this change. I bet it’ll be gone in 10 years max

A cartridge like the 224 Valkyrie necked up to 6mm would be interesting as a 556 replacement, and with 80-90gr bullets the armor penetration should be good, while keeping weight and cost down
View Quote

I'm glad someone else thinks a 6mm Valkyrie would be ideal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's the whole reason for the hybrid case.  The high strength steel casehead doesn't swell under high pressure, yet the brass front half is ductile to stretch within a safe headspace range to prevent case head seperation and difficult extraction.
View Quote
And you don't think there will be any looseness between 3 components of the case? No issues with headspacing? With the high chamber pressures, everything better be perfect and in sync.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Are they still making shit that they don’t support two years after launch?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Get one.  You will love it.  Even if they drop it, they commit to repairs and warranty anyhow.

Love mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love mine.

Only 4” barrels now. Would rather have the 8” for the extra velocity. Will just have to think on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To kill Chinese at long range.
View Quote

Do islands get long range? I know if we went mainland, it could be useful, but at the same time, it's got the largest metro's in the world.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don’t we have this?  Valkyrie was never attractive to me in 224 but I am curious what it would look like in 6mm

-Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Army has put way too much effort into the development of the 6.8 projectiles.   There is no way this is going away.  Fielding may not end up being as widespread as planned but it is not going away, and M240s will end up being converted to 6.8 also.  

5.56 may stay around, but this is a 7.62 killer even though it was sold as an M4/M249 replacement.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#46]
That sucks, the True Velocity ammunition is much more compelling.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Yuck, fuck SIG, I'm not joining the Army now!

The M4 isn't going away, this won't happen.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#48]
These will called the M5 and M250?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And you don't think there will be any looseness between 3 components of the case? No issues with headspacing? With the high chamber pressures, everything better be perfect and in sync.
View Quote

The 3 piece case design is more forgiving to headspace variation than a one piece high strength steel case, with high pressures.  The hybrid case gives a strong case head to withstand the pressure while having a ductile body to prevent case separation within a reasonable headspace range.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That sucks, the True Velocity ammunition is much more compelling.
View Quote

Maybe, but they teamed up with a Bullpup design.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top