Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/16/2022 11:52:47 AM EDT
I’m no expert in aviation so I generally read threads not post very often about this topic but in my non expert opinion I am very skeptical that China or even Russia have true 5th Gen. Was surprised to read this https://www.yahoo.com/news/unit-f-35s-us-air-133254458.htmlAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Did they get the intel from the new Top Gun movie?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did they get the intel from the new Top Gun movie?
View Quote

You mean the TIE fighters at the Death Star? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That guy in the photo looks familiar.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Did they make a PowerPoint to ask for more budget money?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Just doing what they have always done. Make their opponents sound scarier than they really are in a quest for more money.

Reminds me of the old assessment reports of the soviet military in the 80s. On paper they are a nigh invincible force of millions of seven foot tall muscle bound communist ubermenchen equipped with beyond cutting edge technologies.

The photographs told a different story.

I suppose all those exercises against F22s will come in handy if they ever have a run in with one of the dozen or so Su57s on the planet.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just doing what they have always done. Make their opponents sound scarier than they really are in a quest for more money.

Reminds me of the old assessment reports of the soviet military in the 80s. On paper they are a nigh invincible force of millions of seven foot tall muscle bound communist ubermenchen equipped with beyond cutting edge technologies.

I suppose all those exercises against F22s will come in handy if they ever have a run in with one of the dozen or so Su57s on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlpS9qMutxk
View Quote

I’ve watched this USAF pilot’s review
F-22 vs SU-57 | Thunderbird Pilot Reacts
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a lot more worried about our corruption and ineptitude in government and top military leadership than what equipment a potential advisory may have.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Because of "the growing threat" posed by China's development of fifth- and sixth-generation jets, "we must use a portion of our daily fifth-generation aircraft today at Langley, Elmendorf, Hill, Eielson, and now Nellis to replicate adversary fifth-generation capabilities," Kelly said in a release, referencing other US Air Force bases.
View Quote

Translated, that means they stopped making F-22s before they fulfilled the need.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
We can not allow a fighter gap!
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah yes the China fighter "threat".

So are we fighting them over US soil or Chinese soil?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

My understanding is international airspace but Guam is a U.S. territory
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh.

We got diversity.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s just great! Now we have to think in Chinese too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlpS9qMutxk
View Quote

It’s not like we have a few thousand 5th gens in inventory.

What do we have, 300? Including testing and training?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The Chinese military has such serious issues that all this hardware they are acquiring is essentially just a bunch of expensive targets  that will be destroyed.

You can have aircraft carriers and 5th generation aircraft, but if you don't have good SOP and TTPs with well trained and motivated military personnel lead by competent commanders you're going to get steam rolled.

To say nothing of the fact that China is corrupt right down to its rotten core.  At this point I've seen dozens of stories of corrupt government officials who get caught with literally stacks of money inside their homes.  Communism has so corrupted mainland Chinese through famine and hardship for so many generations that they can't even help themselves from stealing everything they get their hands on.  Long story short, I think most of the Chinese hardware is probably built cutting as many corners as possible so that various people throughout the defense sector chain could pocket money for themselves.   My guess is that most Chinese equipment will not hold up well during combat operations and that their shit will become combat ineffective in record time with deep and serious issues with replacement parts and repair.   Chinese personnel are incredible piss-poor as well.  For generations now the PLA have essentially just been an internal security force used to protect the Party, in fact, that is the PLA's stated mission not protection of the people or the nation, but of the party.  All they've really been maintained for is to steam roll over protestors not go slug it out with a foreign military.   Chinese Generals often achieve their rank by outright bribing government officials not out of any merit whatsoever.  

There are some reforms that the CCP has apparently tried to implement, but this is a cultural issue embedded into that culture through generations and it will take a VERY long time to change the PLA into a competent military capable of going up against a near peer threat.   If the CCP thinks it can take Taiwan they are in for a serious shock, because the people of Taiwan were not corrupted like mainland Chinese from generations of Communism and they are actually a competent military that will give the CCP a serious fight.   If the PLA goes into Taiwan they are going to make the troubles the Russians are having look like nothing by comparison to what the PLA will have to contend with.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Hopefully skunkworks/area 51 peeps is working on giving the A-10 a cloaking device.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#17]
No worries.  Tom proved that Tomcats are all that is needed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the Chinese have the tankers to refuel their fighters for the 1000 mile trip to Guam and back?  I'm just genuinely curious where we will be fighting these Chinese planes
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd be surprised if they have 4th gen
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It’s not like we have a few thousand 5th gens in inventory.

What do we have, 300? Including testing and training?
View Quote

F35 is a gen 5 platform and we have built more than 700 of them.

There were less than 200 F22s made. But they aren't needed to beat the stuffing out of a J20.

Of course the real joke would be that if an actual war with China broke out they would probably release race targeted bioweapons against which the mightiest Air Forces in the world would be useless.

Well... Unless someone had the balls to nuke the fuck out of them for releasing said bioweapons. But I don't think anyone in our current command structure would do something like that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Doesn't matter how good your tech is, if the culture surrounding it is rotting.

China won't need to shoot at any US fighters, to achieve any of their goals.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Unless someone had the balls to nuke the fuck out of them for releasing said bioweapons. But I don't think anyone in our current command structure would do something like that.
View Quote

Nope... the US government would be too busy tracking down violators of mask and vaccine policies.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do the Chinese have the tankers to refuel their fighters for the 1000 mile trip to Guam and back?  I'm just genuinely curious where we will be fighting these Chinese planes
View Quote

Possibly over Taiwan.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Do we trust our own military?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Possibly over Taiwan.
View Quote

Given the Chinese governments current levels of utter fucking insanity. There is also risk of conflict over or involving India, Japan, Australia, Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam.

Boy, wouldn't that make for some historical irony? USAF jets flying out of and defending Hanoi?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#26]
They stole designs, got parts off the stealth Blackhawk and have spies in our manufacturing.

Of course they have 5th gen fighters.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was in the TV news business in the '80s the government would send us books to show us why we were behind the Russkies. They made for fun reading because Ivan supposedly had stuff that was way cooler then ours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-demonstrates-aerial-refueling-aircraft-in-flight-near-taiwan-2021-11Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do we trust our own military?
View Quote

Is anyone or anything trustworthy?

Swiss bankers perhaps?

If conflict breaks out then I suppose we will have to let the chips fall where they may. It's not like we can farm out national defense to the Europeans or the Canadians or the FBI.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]
what?..the J20?  that thing is a serious POS
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Meh.

We got diversity.
View Quote

Honk.Honk

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is anyone or anything trustworthy?

Swiss bankers perhaps?

If conflict breaks out then I suppose we will have to let the chips fall where they may. It's not like we can farm out national defense to the Europeans or the Canadians or the FBI.
View Quote

The FBI has been pretty mediocre in countering Chinese spy’s and theft in the USA for the last 25 years.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
It's not just the equimpent, it's the operators

We have better pilots with more real airtime, not just a simulator.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I personally think China's new fighters are pretty formidable.   More than the Su57
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I would be more worried about their capabilities to pump out a massive drone army.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Our gov probably sold them the tech under the table.

Corrupt scumbags, every last one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm a lot more worried about our corruption and ineptitude in government and top military leadership than what equipment a potential advisory may have.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Voted "Lying to get more (of that sweet taxpayer) money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's not just the equimpent, it's the operators

We have better pilots with more real airtime, not just a simulator.  
View Quote

The USAF pilot vids I’ve watched say China’s air time mirrors USA hours. I’m skeptical but I’m no SME so have to go by the USAF statements https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-flying-hours-decline-again-after-brief-recovery/
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-demonstrates-aerial-refueling-aircraft-in-flight-near-taiwan-2021-11https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/3EE27DD4-52AD-4F4D-8BA2-6E37EE921E92_jpe-2420175.JPG

They'll need a couple dozen given the distance
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Meh.

We got diversity.
View Quote

Dam str8 white bread
Original Video - Soldier screams at entire unit during Breakdown
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Come on OP. Did you watch Maverick, or not?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Given the Chinese governments current levels of utter fucking insanity. There is also risk of conflict over or involving India, Japan, Australia, Korea, the Philippines and Vietnam.

Boy, wouldn't that make for some historical irony? USAF jets flying out of and defending Hanoi?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly over Taiwan.

Sounds like they should boost their own capabilities instead of relying on the US.  Japan, Australia and South Korea are first world countries
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who would want it?  It is in danger of tipping over.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Which side of the warrior culture curve is China's military on?  How about the US military?

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
6th gen

I’m guessing that’s what was hounding our Navy off the California coast

Are we really so arrogant as to assume we’re the only country with an Area 51 or version of DARPA?  Lord knows that at this point in time they have far more manufacturing capacity and capability than we do.

I’d like to think we’ve got some 6th gen projects well underway as well too btw…
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Who would want it?  It is in danger of tipping over.
View Quote

Don’t think China wants it so much as to destroy it hence names like “the Guam killer”
Why China’s ‘Guam Killer’ DF-26 Missile Poses The Biggest Threat To US In The Indo-Pacific
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Russia's SU-57 is also a legit 5th gen fighter, so is the Chinese  J-20.  Russia and China are also designing high end unmanned stealth platforms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top