Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 3/29/2023 3:42:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GenYRevolverGuy]
April 4th. 4x4 day and Taco Tuesday. It's too perfect. lol

Shots from an Instagram teaser:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/28/next-gen-toyota-tacoma-teaser/

Expect a 2.4L I4 turbo, and a transmission of many speeds.

This will likely give us a direct look at the next gen 4Runner, too.

ETA: Toyota teased a teaser, and it appears the date of the full reveal is still unknown.

ETA2: May 19

ETA3: Launch info starts on page 6 - https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Next-Gen-Toyota-Tacoma-Launch-Tuesday-April-4th-Or-not-Update-May-19th/5-2633945/?page=6#i104178370
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope it comes in a single cab
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
cool
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Spacejunk:
Hope it comes in a single cab
View Quote

It was dropped for the 3rd gen and there have been absolutely no spy pictures of it making a come back. You'd be better off hoping that a 2nd generation mysteriously shows up in your driveway with a title on the passenger seat as that has more of a chance of happening.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Guessing no manual

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
No manual with 350/500 and 22mpg?

Pass
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
$50K for a TRD Sport Crew Cab 4x4?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Time to buy a new 4 Runner then...
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully they improve the drivers seat position.

Plastic bed and bumper?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Not paying the prices on these trucks.

2019 I bought a 2019 Tundra Pro with cover, better tires and side steps for $43,000

Was looking for trucks and said nope, bought a trailer
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ayada:

It was dropped for the 3rd gen and there have been absolutely no spy pictures of it making a come back. You'd be better off hoping that a 2nd generation mysteriously shows up in your driveway with a title on the passenger seat as that has more of a chance of happening.
View Quote
Yeah I do t see it happening either.  Who knows though.  Mexico got some 3rd Gens

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StevenH:

Plastic bed and bumper?
View Quote

There aren't many good spy shots of the bed but the few glimpses that we've seen would hint that it's plastic again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I was going to wait for it until I saw the Tundra have issues.  Still interested to see the specs, but it won't convince me to trade in my 22.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
could be a sweet little truck if it's i'4 has similar power to the chevy in such a small truck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

I've got my pre-ban 4Runner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#15]

There aren't many good spy shots of the bed but the few glimpses that we've seen would hint that it's plastic again.
View All Quotes

Plastic bed and bumper?

Composite beds have been expanding through the midsize class and even into the half ton class.

I'd be very surprised if any midsize truck went back to steel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Order placed
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dunderway:

Yeah I do t see it happening either.  Who knows though.  Mexico got some 3rd Gens

https://preview.redd.it/single-cab-3rd-gen-tacomas-all-of-these-are-in-mexico-v0-akoyk4flpe3a1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=2be2c6debef36f0f65a322ec39c89199909f43fd

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Super dooper racing package with rear drum brakes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

Composite beds have been expanding through the midsize class and even into the half ton class.

View Quote

It's been a Tacoma thing since it's inception, I can't really see them going back either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
Super dooper racing package with rear drum brakes?
View Quote

Spy shots showed rear rotors.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Gross! Can’t believe they’re going with that turbo 4. “Destroy your legendary reputation in one easy step.”

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By konger:
Gross! Can’t believe they’re going with that turbo 4. “Destroy your legendary reputation in one easy step.”

View Quote

Can't be worse than the 3.5.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not even a yota fan and I hope they finally fix that god awful automatic tranny and get rear disks. 37 years ago small truck had drums. 37 year later they should have had disks for a long time.

Hope they keep the manual as well.

Also hope it is nowhere near as hideous as that abomination called the Tundra. While I don't particularly like the look of the old Tundra or the current taco the new Tundra makes me gag and throw up a little. It got all of the Chevy down syndrome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Would love to see a turbo 4 cyl. Hasn’t been done on a Toyota pickup since the 22RET IIRC. zero interest if a manual isn’t in the line up, still irritated you can’t get the base trim with a standard box.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#25]

I've got my pre-ban 4Runner.
View Quote

Me too...can't decide whether to put a Magnuson supercharger on it or the 5.7 Tundra...
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Only 10K markup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By konger:

View Quote

It's not like they have great options.

Their choices were likely either this or a hybrid. I4T is going to be cheaper to purchase and easier to keep running long term.

Can't be worse than the 3.5.
View Quote

That's a very reliable engine. It's just the stuff around it that kills driveability.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I can’t believe the current gen 4Runners came out in 2010.  Even then it had outdated features.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Wonder if it will be as disappointing as the Tundra.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ayada] [#30]
Originally Posted By Kaptainkoolz:
Would love to see a turbo 4 cyl. Hasn’t been done on a Toyota pickup since the 22RET IIRC. zero interest if a manual isn’t in the line up, still irritated you can’t get the base trim with a standard box.
View Quote

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you absolutely can get a current model SR with the manual. You might not be able to see it in the configurator as Toyota only shows options that are available on trucks that either exist and are being shipped to lots or about to be built.

Editing once again as I keep on seeing conflicting information. At the very least Toyota still shows it as an option when you go into comparing, but it's likely such a rare combination that it's all but impossible to find.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:27:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chupacabras] [#31]
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Wonder if it will be as disappointing as the Tundra.
View Quote

Couldn’t be any uglier.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Hopefully that make large improvements inside the cab with updated seats and upholstery and design.  I like my 3rd Gen and since having the transmission reprogrammed by dealer it gives me no issues.  But those seats limit how far I can drive it.  I think a folding lawn chair would be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I can’t wait to see it they gave it an extra 2 inches of legroom, sized for the average non-Asian male driver.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By chupacabras:
I can’t believe the current gen 4Runners came out in 2010.  Even then it had outdated features.
View Quote

I should buy another before they ruin them
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Couldn’t be any uglier.
View Quote

Lets not underestimate Toyota.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm interested in seeing what they do to the 4th Gen Tacoma. However, I'm also prepared to be disappointed after the way the 3rd Gen Tacoma turned out.  Its the reason why I decided to keep my old 2nd Gen Tacoma.  It still has relatively low miles and I saw no real improvements with the 3rd Gen.

Its also the reason I bought a new 4Runner a couple of years ago instead of waiting for the rumors of a revised 4Runnner.   So I'm good with these two Toyotas for daily drivers for many years to come. When I already have great reliability with some proven vehicles I get apprehensive when a manufacturer wants to make changes just to increase the MPG a bit.  If better mileage was that important to me I wouldn't have bought these kinds of vehicles in the first place.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you absolutely can get a current model SR with the manual. You might not be able to see it in the configurator as Toyota only shows options that are available on trucks that either exist and are being shipped to lots or about to be built.

Editing once again as I keep on seeing conflicting information. At the very least Toyota still shows it as an option when you go into comparing, but it's likely such a rare combination that it's all but impossible to find.
View Quote

Unless things have changed ‘19 or so and up you could only get the manual trans in TRD sport or higher trim packages. Just looking now the only manual tacomas I see in the comparator are TRD sport and Offroad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kaptainkoolz:

Unless things have changed ‘19 or so and up you could only get the manual trans in TRD sport or higher trim packages. Just looking now the only manual tacomas I see in the comparator are TRD sport and Offroad.
View Quote

The manual transmission is a pretty rare option to begin with, and I'd agree that you'd most commonly find it on the TRD packages considering those were the trims that saw the highest demand for that transmission.

Toyota does show it as an option when you select down into the compare trims menus, but I doubt you'd see it in the configurator given there insistent on only allowing you to configure trucks that are already available locally. It's one of those things you'd have to go into the dealer and ask about and if you were lucky they might be able to find an allocation to get one. I did see one article saying the option was removed which is why I originally wanted to take back what I said, but I could have sworn I saw an SR5 come through with a manual transmission and Toyota's own website does sort of back me up on that one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]

It's been a Tacoma thing since it's inception, I can't really see them going back either.
View All Quotes

1st gen Tacomas had metal beds, composite started with 2nd gen.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Looking forward to seeing it.  My '05 is probably past it's midlife at 299k miles, and I've been thinking of trading it in.

The syncros were bad at 130k, and I was going to fix those the same time i have to fix the clutch.  So far, the clutch is still going strong.  

Or I could drive it until it is worn out.  Any other vehicle just feels weird, new or not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

View Quote

They had an OEM plastic drop in for the 1st gen and while my memory might be a bit hazy at this point I recall it being a very popular option up here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:42:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ilikepieman] [#43]

I should buy another before they ruin them
View Quote

This.  My friends wife wrecked their 2018 4runner.  They plan on buying another when the next gen comes out.  I asked why?  I would take  a 4th gen or older vs anything newer.  I am surprised they released a new sequoia before the 4runner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#44]

They had an OEM plastic drop in for the 1st gen and while my memory might be a bit hazy at this point I recall it being a very popular option up here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

There was an available bed liner, but the bed itself was the same doubled wall as the '95 and earlier trucks (I had mine Rhino lined).  The Tacoma was introduced in '95.5; the second gen had the full composite bed, production started late '04 but the trucks are labeled '05s.

<---Dummy who bought a '95.5 Tacoma (great truck until some punk totaled it) and then a 2005 Tacoma made in, IIRC, Nov '04 (I'd  have to go look at the date code on it).  Yep, not going to be surprised when my head gaskets go.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lowonair] [#45]
………….
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#46]
One of my DD is a 07 tacoma with just over 200k miles.  The only real maintenance I do is change the engine oil, brake pads/rotors.  The rest gets very overlooked.  The only thing that has broken on me that I had to replace is the front wheel hubs/bearings every 100k.  Spark plugs once, radiator fluid once, serpentine belt once and rebuild driveshaft u joints.  Still on original front and rear diff fluid!!!  Never buy a used vehicle from a mechanic or handyman.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Expect a 2.4L I4 turbo, and a transmission of many speeds.

View Quote

So it'll be as good as the mutherfuckin Ford Ranger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
I'm not even a yota fan and I hope they finally fix that god awful automatic tranny and get rear disks. 37 years ago small truck had drums. 37 year later they should have had disks for a long time.

Hope they keep the manual as well.

Also hope it is nowhere near as hideous as that abomination called the Tundra. While I don't particularly like the look of the old Tundra or the current taco the new Tundra makes me gag and throw up a little. It got all of the Chevy down syndrome.
View Quote

It's kind of funny to watch people make fun of the old shit I still drive everyday.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

"Outdated" or not, sales for the 4Runner had been going up the last few years.  Normal demand + coronavirus demand + last chance for "old tech" adds up to a lot of sales, apparently.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top