Posted: 5/25/2024 11:53:01 PM EDT

Why are Gen Z Broke? | The Stream
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I read an article the other day where millennials and Gen Z are blaming high real estate prices on retired Boomers who decided to stay in a bigger home instead of downsizing.  I’m not sure if that’s true or if the “writer” just believes it.  I guess they weren’t satisfied dividing the country by political parties and race, so now this bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
As a member of GenX, I have no use for either of those generations.

I’m fine with Boomers as long as they don’t use the self checkout.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe it's because their low effort and attitude. The service and attitude I receive from gen Z'ers is mostly shit and apathetic! Even when I used to work at a grocery store I did it with a smile and a good attitude, I acted professional. These gen Z'ers don't really have the same kind of attitude, they're a bunch of whiners and babies, think that the whole world owes them a living. They seem to got enough money for blue hair dye and a lot of tattoos though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Boomers didn't whine and worked hard to move up and get ahead to afford homes, vehicles, families, etc.

The younger generations should be combined and called whiners as they blame everything on others vs. putting in the hard work to get ahead.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There should be a minimum skills test required to use self checkout.
Not unlike a driver's license.
Need to get your Publix license.
No license, no self check.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Boomers didn't whine and worked hard to move up and get ahead to afford homes, vehicles, families, etc.

The younger generations should be combined and called whiners as they blame everything on others vs. putting in the hard work to get ahead.
View Quote

Houses back in the day only cost 3x to 4x the average salary. Now it's 7x to 8x.  The same with cars.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course I’m broke, I’m in the middle of my bachelors degree and companies that will work around my school schedule tend to pay hot garbage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#10]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Must be nice for boomers to grow up in a world where you have to be particularly idiotic to not secure a comfortable retirement, if not actual wealth.

As a millennial, every time I turn around, the economy takes a shit and wealth is erased. Just get out there, 01 crash. Then 08. Then covid recession. Now massive inflation. Combined with there is no SS for us but yet we have to pay for it , yeah, we don't exactly have it easy.
View Quote

Get back to me when house loan interest rates are the same as they were under carter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Must be nice for boomers to grow up in a world where you have to be particularly idiotic to not secure a comfortable retirement, if not actual wealth.

As a millennial, every time I turn around, the economy takes a shit and wealth is erased. Just get out there, 01 crash. Then 08. Then covid recession. Now massive inflation. Combined with there is no SS for us but yet we have to pay for it , yeah, we don't exactly have it easy.
View Quote

Live below your means and dollar cost average 10% of your income into an S&P 500 index fund and don’t take it out, no matter what.  No matter what.  It’s not hard.

Becoming wealthy is a personal decision.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't bring up the government tax burden while we are on the subject ??

I'm not a boomer, but I see a lot of millennials getting themselves into financial trouble because of poor decisions.

They would never make the sacrifices that I made to get where I am today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

All those things only affected millennials?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I read an article the other day where millennials and Gen Z are blaming high real estate prices on retired Boomers who decided to stay in a bigger home instead of downsizing.  I’m not sure if that’s true or if the “writer” just believes it.  I guess they weren’t satisfied dividing the country by political parties and race, so now this bullshit.
View Quote

Millennials and Gen Z should buy those smaller houses that the Boomers are refusing to downsize into.

Smaller = cheaper and affordable
Just right for starter homes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]
My nephew is Z and just spent a bunch of his savings going to three different gaming conventions.  Priorities….
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As a member of GenX, I have no use for either of those generations.

View Quote

That’s actually a really good way to look at it.
Signed a genX
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Houses back in the day only cost 3x to 4x the average salary. Now it's 7x to 8x.  The same with cars.
View Quote

There are affordable cars and houses out there if you don't demand to live like an entitled person. I'm looking for a 'divorce house' and keeping it at $150k or less and there are a lot out there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:33:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Boomers are willfully ignorant.  Whatever..they got theirs.  Too bad they'll be too old to do anything about it when the stonk market crashes, their 401k and pension funds are deleted by inflation or the checks stop coming completely.

Most of them smugly laugh because they think they'll be dead before that happens...My Grandmother has to sell her house because of the increase in medical bills, and the property taxes out-pace her SS, and the pension she still collects from my late Grandfather.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh, you have absolutely no idea how they came about their money, how they spent, how they saved and yet you’ve got this chip on your shoulder.  I’m X and I had multiple jobs for a certain portion of my life and multiple roomates to afford rent till I could improve status, save my downpayments, choose my property wisely and secure loans that didn’t fluctuate and refinance to lower rates as they became available… you have to get skin in the game.  My mom gave me the best advice, she said “buy something now, even if it’s a POS, get your foot in the door!” Little bites.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#23]

So which is it OP, younger people are worse off than boomers per this thread, or is this other thread you posted correct?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Do-older-folks-get-super-defensive-when-their-lives-are-worse-than-younger-folks-/5-2724931/

Or, do you just like intergenerational s**tposting?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#24]
As a GenX pushing 50, younger people seem to diverge *strongly* into one of two camps: they either have their shit VERY together about school, work ethic, finances, investments, etc.. or they are COMPLETE fuckups.  I don't remember kids my generation being so polarized.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#25]
How about taking accountability for your own decisions. GD is fixated on blaming other generations for problems that they place upon themselves.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Uh, you have absolutely no idea how they came about their money, how they spent, how they saved and yet you’ve got this chip in your shoulder.  I’m X and I had multiple jobs for a certain portion of my life and multiple roomates to afford rent till I could improve status.
View Quote

They worked in a box factory and raised a family of 5, in a middle class neighborhood while having two nice cars, and put enough away for retirement with money left over to send the 3 kids to college?

Boomer's are not at fault...not even close.  Boomers lived the easy life, but tell those in the real world we're doing it wrong.  You worked in a fucking box factory and had it all...lol.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a GenX pushing 50, younger people seem to diverge *strongly* into one of two camps: they either have their shit VERY together about school, work ethic, finances, investments, etc.. or they are COMPLETE fuckups.  I don't remember kids my generation being so polarized.
View Quote

I’ve clearly been told all of gen z is a complete fuck up. Myself included, regardless I’m still doing full time engineering school to further my career and full time work to make ends meet. But arf still likes to call me a fuck up so idk.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
9% interest on a $20k house ($530 monthly on TODAY's money) is still cheaper than "starter homes" today.

At the WORST under Carter, 18% gets you $1,085 monthly in today's dollars.

AVERAGE home price 1980 is $47k (or $169k in today's dollars). Today it is $420k.
View Quote

What is the comparison of home sizes then vs now?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#29]
ROFL, arf should add a "renter" thread rating button.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Show me some listing for homes in a metro area  without bullet holes in the exterior walls that are less than $250k without junkies and gangs running the streets.

Uphill both ways would be a blessing.  Commute 8 hours a day?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They worked in a box factory and raised a family of 5, in a middle class neighborhood while having two nice cars, and put enough away for retirement with money left over to send the 3 kids to college?

Boomer's are not at fault...not even close.  Boomers lived the easy life, but tell those in the real world we're doing it wrong.  You worked in a fucking box factory and had it all...lol.
View Quote

Again, how did they spend, how did they save, what did they forgo to keep food on the table, what financial assistance did they secure for their kids? What was the local economy and expenditures like? You fucktards leave alot out in your assessments of other people’s lives and lifestyles.

Remember also that alot of you tards moved home during the recession and your parents spent their retirement savings bailing you out because you just couldn’t work a menial to tide you over, lol.

Another thing mom said to me in regards to career was “I don’t care if you sweep floors for a living but, you better be the best goddamn floor sweeper they’ve ever seen.”
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’ve clearly been told all of gen z is a complete fuck up. Myself included, regardless I’m still doing full time engineering school to further my career and full time work to make ends meet. But arf still likes to call me a fuck up so idk.
View Quote

Jokes aside, that hasn't been my experience at all. I am fortunate to work with a stellar crew of engineers and technicians that are almost all late millennials/zoomers, and they are extremely intelligent, hard-working, and focused.

My son is a late 90's zoomer, chose to go military, and has had an extremely successful career so far with no end in sight. Much like the old Jay Leno "man on the street" interviews.. the good ones are out there, they just don't get the airtime.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, the people that voted for these policies (via the representatives they elected) are certainly to blame for this problem.

Hmmmm... I wonder which generation voted for all of this....
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wealth didn’t really get erased.   It got temporarily deflated, but if you kept your stocks and kept your house, it came roaring back 500%
In fact, that’s what caused all the inflation.   All my millennial friends are multi-Millionairs now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well  the boomers and their idiots parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Engineering doesn’t really pay well anymore though, does it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah…My dude, they turned whining into a method of policy making, protesting and color revolutions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Get back to me when house loan interest rates are the same as they were under carter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the FICA cap and rate under Carter again?
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well  the boomers and their idiots parents did nothing to stop 100 million post 1965 invaders from ruining the country.
View Quote

Blackrock single handedly fucked your housing market by paying way above market rates for homes they hoped to lease back to you at sky high rents.  You should fuck Larry Fink…
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What was the FICA cap and rate under Carter again?
View Quote

13-18% was common. In the 90’s market in NYC you couldn’t even look at a property without 20% to put down on deposit and you had to disclose income to prove it, lol. You then had to pass an HOA board selection process.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Maybe it's because their low effort and attitude. The service and attitude I receive from gen Z'ers is mostly shit and apathetic! Even when I used to work at a grocery store I did it with a smile and a good attitude, I acted professional. These gen Z'ers don't really have the same kind of attitude, they're a bunch of whiners and babies, think that the whole world owes them a living. They seem to got enough money for blue hair dye and a lot of tattoos though.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#44]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Millennials living through yet another "once-in-a-lifetime" recession:

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were always the “winners and losers”, but they didn’t tend to talk to each other much after high school.  

Social Media is the great egalitarian society.   This is why there used to be social classes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Again, how did they spend, how did they save, what did they forgo to keep food on the table, what financial assistance did they secure for their kids? What was the local economy and expenditures like? You fucktards leave alot out in your assessments of other people’s lives and lifestyles.

Remember also that alot of you tards moved home during the recession and your parents spent their retirement savings bailing you out because you just couldn’t work a menial to tide you over, lol.

Another thing mom said to me in regards to career was “I don’t care if you sweep floors for a living but, you better be the best goddamn floor sweeper they’ve ever seen.”
View Quote

This is the most disconnected boomer reply to date.  Lets replace "floor" with "street" or "ditch digger"  What do you think a "floor" sweeper makes?

First off, nobody sweeps a street in it's literal term.  A corporate/.gov conglomerate contracts a 3rd party company to drive the sweeping trucks, where that company uses the most desperate hands to drive the street sweeping trucks in the middle of the night.   I used to fix the trucks because they(the operators) were too drunk or too tired to not crash them into bus stops and such.  That's semantics but I'll go on.

Homes and the cost of living have doubled or tripled compared to what our boomer parents paid.  Fact.  How are you going to argue that math?  I'm not saying it's fair.  Life isn't fair; just saying it was easier.  

I love how you moved to insults in your reply.  That's great.  I moved out of the house 20 years ago and my parents didn't give me shit, but their parents sure gave them everything.

Once again...life isn't fair but don't tell me it wasn't easier for boomers.

Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a 300% increase, if you're somehow seeking a correlation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#49]
LOL

The weekly revival meeting

REPENT!  Just admit your sins!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Thread rated troll.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top