Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Posted: 8/4/2007 8:27:03 PM EDT
Yeah, I guess someone missed the speech about being sure of your target and what's behind it

www.kfor.com/global/story.asp?s=6886100

Noble boy killed by stray bullet

NOBLE, Okla. (AP) - Officials in Noble say a 5-year-old boy was shot and killed by an apparent stray bullet fired by a police officer attempting to kill a snake.

Jack Tracy says he was fishing with his 5-year-old grandson -- Austin Haley -- yesterday evening when he saw the first shot hit the water near where they were standing. As he pulled his grandson to his side, he says a second shot hit the boy in the head.

Noble City Manager Bob Wade says police received a complaint last night from residents in a subdivision about a snake.

When officers responded, they decided to shoot the snake. A few minutes later, Wade says there was a commotion in a wooded area behind them where the boy apparently was hit by the stray bullet.

Austin was transported to an Oklahoma City hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Wade refused to identify the officer suspected of firing the shots but says the officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Why in the world would you choose to shoot a snake in the first place.  And once you made the decision, how could you miss that bad?  Was the thing a jumping snake or what?

What a terrible loss for that family.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Shovel or baton the dang thing
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, I guess someone missed the speech about being sure of your target and what's behind it

www.kfor.com/global/story.asp?s=6886100

Noble boy killed by stray bullet

NOBLE, Okla. (AP) - Officials in Noble say a 5-year-old boy was shot and killed by an apparent stray bullet fired by a police officer attempting to kill a snake.

Jack Tracy says he was fishing with his 5-year-old grandson -- Austin Haley -- yesterday evening when he saw the first shot hit the water near where they were standing. As he pulled his grandson to his side, he says a second shot hit the boy in the head.

Noble City Manager Bob Wade says police received a complaint last night from residents in a subdivision about a snake.

When officers responded, they decided to shoot the snake. A few minutes later, Wade says there was a commotion in a wooded area behind them where the boy apparently was hit by the stray bullet.

Austin was transported to an Oklahoma City hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Wade refused to identify the officer suspected of firing the shots but says the officer has been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation

Oh this is just fucked. I'd rather not know about this. I have two young boys. FTW! My children are what's most important to me. I would blow myself up to save their lives. No, FTW!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]

I had to put down a bull the other day, I made sure it was possitioned so I was not shooting towards any homes and told the vet and his assistant to get behind me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Eye for an eye.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Idiot don't know what a scatter gun is for
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Local TV News story on the incident...much more detailed

www.koco.com/video/13823486/index.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That is horrible. That guys is a total moron, and should be in the clink. If you are that dumb you really do need to be behind bars to protect society, not behind a badge.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Charge said officer with manslaughter...
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a horrible story
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Exactly who's life was in danger that the officer had to shoot at a snake?

Can't image how Gramps must feel, seeing his grandson get shot in the head. I'll bet he does not long survive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Cop bashers, don't.  Have some class for once.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope the family of the boy gets Tens of millions of dollars from the state in the civil suit. And should'nt that cop have been charged with negligent homicide or something of that effect like right away.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Charge said officer with manslaughter...

I wonder if any follow will be done so we know what punishment he gets.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Using a bullet on a snake is like measuring with a micrometer and marking the cut with a piece of chalk. Shovels always worked for me..
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Everybody loses in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't care if it was a cop or not... the guy was an idiot for SHOOTING at a snake to kill it, especially in an unsafe manner.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuckin' idiot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Negligent homicide.....

Why not ASP baton the snake, carry some shot-shells for the pistol in the trunk, or mace the fucking thing but shooting where people go fishing?
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Cop bashers, what? Please help me understand this, a badge has nothing to do with it. For fucks sake.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#23]
For those of us on 56k, what did that link say about the shooting?

I don't understand how you can shoot at a snake and hit a kid.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

it's a chick cop, can't remember her name,

I work with a chick that lives in the housing addition that it occured in,

the pond is toward the back of the adjoining property where all the neighborhood kids play,

it happened several blocks east of downtown noble by the highschool,

several other chicks I work with that live down there said the woman cop is a severe fuckup, that even her fellow officers and police chief talk shit about her around town,

noble's population is approx 5k, so everybody knows eachother.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cop bashers, what? Please help me understand this, a badge has nothing to do with it. For fucks sake.

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you see, the badge makes the cop immune not merely to prosecution, but also to criticism.

The officer was just doing his/her job.  At least the officer went home safely that night.  Now y'all just shut the fuck up and don't say nothin' bad about the cop any more.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Um, Good shot? Hows that
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's a chick cop, can't remember her name,

I work with a chick that lives in the housing addition that it occured in,

the pond is toward the back of the adjoining property where all the neighborhood kids play,

it happened several blocks east of downtown noble by the highschool,

several other chicks I work with that live down there said the woman cop is a severe fuckup, that even her fellow officers and police chief talk shit about her around town,

noble's population is approx 5k, so everybody knows eachother.

Affirmative action at work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]

yesterday evening when he saw the first shot hit the water near where they were standing. As he pulled his grandson to his side, he says a second shot hit the boy in the head.

Couldn't even hit the snake on the first shot (without knowing what was behind)

Taxpayers will foot the bill for the moron.

Prayers for the kid & family.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#30]
You folks that are screaming about shooting a snake with a gun are just looking for any excuse to bash a cop. Shooting a snake with a gun is perfectly acceptable. What is NOT acceptable is doing so in an unsafe manner. This woman failed to abide by the fourth rule of firearms safety and a little boy paid for that with his life. This woman should be subject to a criminal penalty for certain. Not because she is a cop, but because her actions were criminally negligent.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You folks that are screaming about shooting a snake with a gun are just looking for any excuse to bash a cop. Shooting a snake with a gun is perfectly acceptable. What is NOT acceptable is doing so in a safe manner. This man failed to abide by the fourth rule of firearms safety and a little boy paid for that with his life. This man should be subject to a criminal penalty for certain. Not because he is a cop, but because his actions were criminally negligent.

BS, using a firearm is overkill
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I'm not bashing, I just want to know why the snake HAD to be shot? Was it poisonous? Some escaped Boa or something? Or was it just a snake that had to be killed, safety be damned?

The snake had to be some distance away to be shooting at an angle to hit someone or the lay of the land contributed to it.

Either way, it was a death caused by negligence on the part of the shooter, cop or no cop.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm calling this cop an idiot, which is what I'd do if she weren't a cop. not a bash.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#34]
nothing wrong with using a firearm on a snake.  but, you MUST know where that bullet will go when it bounces off the ground.  said cop needs to be charged with manslaughter just like anyone else would.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm calling this cop an idiot, which is what I'd do if she weren't a cop. not a bash.

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I hope the family of the boy gets Tens of millions of dollars from the state in the civil suit.

As a father, it wouldn't matter to me.  Money would never ease the pain of losing any of my children.  And when suing the government, the only people that lose are the tax payers who end up paying the tab.

And should'nt that cop have been charged with negligent homicide or something of that effect like right away.

It never happens that way when there is a badge.  Not cop bashing, but that's always the way it works when it's not an intentional killing involving a cop.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

someone will be along to start shit like "fucking JBT's" or some such shit,  some threads, yeah, go for it, not one about the loss of a 5 year old boy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Whoever hired this stupid bitch, whoever trained her, whoever certified her ......They ALL should be held responsible.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The TV report said the snake was IN A TREE
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

someone will be along to start shit like "fucking JBT's" or some such shit,  some threads, yeah, go for it, not one about the loss of a 5 year old boy.

Naw, you're right though, history here on this site proves just that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
nothing wrong with using a firearm on a snake.  but, you MUST know where that bullet will go when it bounces off the ground.  said cop needs to be charged with manslaughter just like anyone else would.

no ricochet on this one, she was apparently shooting up in the air at the snake that was in a birdhouse in a tree,

she was shooting in a fairly populated area, there's several housing additions in the immediate vicinity,

we could all Monday morning quarterback it, but she was still negligent, and she wasn't alone, there was another more "experienced" cop present.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope the family of the boy gets Tens of millions of dollars from the state in the civil suit.

As a father, it wouldn't matter to me.  Money would never ease the pain of losing any of my children.  And when suing the government, the only people that lose are the tax payers who end up paying the tab.

And should'nt that cop have been charged with negligent homicide or something of that effect like right away.

It never happens that way when there is a badge.  Not cop bashing, but that's always the way it works when it's not an intentional killing involving a cop.

I agree 100%. I'm just saying as a third party or if I was on the jury in the civil suit. I would do everything in my power to make sure that family was compensated for. And then some. $100,000,000.00

I know all about the Blue Wall. And the DA will probably won't have the balls or the integrity to charge said cop with more than misdemeanors.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
For those of us on 56k, what did that link say about the shooting?

I don't understand how you can shoot at a snake and hit a kid.

According to the video, the snake was in a tree roughly 400 feet away from the victim.    That is how you can shoot at a snake and hit a kid - by shooting into the air with no backstop.  Unbelievable.  

We don't know the whole story yet, but based on what we do know so far, I think negligent homicide could be a justifiable charge against the officer.

Other highlights from the video:

The names of the officers involved have not yet been released.

The grandfather stated that he feels responsible for his grandson's death (I don't know why)

The victim's family is a very religious family, and his parents have already forgiven the unnamed officer.

The victim had a camouflage covered Bible.

State police are investigating.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayers sent for the family.

I'll bash the cop later.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#46]
god that's horrible!
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't imagine watching a bullet hit the head of my kid or grandson, finding out it was because someone was shooting at a snake in a tree that is in all probability non venomous [bout 100% certain on that] would make it 100 Xs worse.

How do you tell your kid his/her son is dead, killed while fishing with grampa by a bullet fired by a freaked out snake hating cop? 3 generations of a family destroyed by an idiotic act that did not need to be done.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll bet a paycheck theres a suicide in that town soon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

no ricochet on this one, she was apparently shooting up in the air at the snake that was in a birdhouse in a tree,

she was shooting in a fairly populated area, there's several housing additions in the immediate vicinity,

we could all Monday morning quarterback it, but she was still negligent, and she wasn't alone, there was another more "experienced" cop present.

Doesn't this city have some kind of animal control officer that specializes in these situations? This just plain sucks that a 5 year old lost his life.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top