Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/23/2020 3:30:50 PM EDT
Frankly, tired of seeing threads getting archived and not able to revive them; plus these are not classed as AOW's, SBS or shotguns. So, lets keep this thread active; post pics, accessories, mods and comments. I also would like this thread to include other makes and models that follow the same theme. Past/historical, present and NFA are acceptable. Sorry for the late edit; but thought broadening the base would make this thread more interesting.  I'll start with mine aka bootlegger.

Regular Tac 14 with detents in the mag tube

Swaged the tube using a Craftsman socket and a small ball peen hammer; attached a S&J +1 mag extension

Automatic Weaponry sling plate; this is the sling plate that came on the 870 WP models provided to the US Marshall's Service before they became Scattergun Technologies and before Scattergun was sold to Wilson Combat. It's also found on the Scattergun Border Patrol contract models; again, prior to becoming Wilson Combat.

Furniture is cut down from a Remington 870 Express set made of birch.

Added a Mauser sling swivel; not really happy with the results. I'm currently working on another birdshead grip made from a walnut 87M stock, that will be using a Garand swivel. It's not squeaky.

I've added a large socket head bolt as a pommel, and you can see the plug ala 870 WP style. I'll also be modifying the pommel so it will be more effective at breaking glass

The sling is a nylon British FAL/Enfield sling. Most modern sling plates can't accommodate the hardware on these older military slings; the the AW sling plate slot is wider than the current Wilson combat sling plate or the S&J sling plate; which wouldn't allow me to use the British sling.

Best Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks a lot like mine.  Actually waiting on it to be delivered. Tracking says tomorrow... Hopefully.

Here's the stock photo where I bought it.
Attachment Attached File

Will likely be my first SBS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]

I changed the barrel on mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Frankly, tired of seeing threads getting archived and not able to revive them; plus these are not classed as AOW's, SBS or shotguns. So, lets keep this thread active; post pics, accessories, mods and comments. I'll start with mine.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2kVOrPyJh-J_FwoXedMx9e89x9U9OXJcgmhI5RyZOr2tBKq-oXSVjShlUmOvXkItgWwlonAjaCBmqyDfCf-ETFatdLtIMQn__CtkbQpr4cdxBlusC1AymNc3M21xnQYNdpLNPbt2Bg=w2400

Regular Tac 14 with detents in the mag tube

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZpGxWpmDAKjK8dTcP130f9N1bELb9kkv8qZTumY7oNginuKpj1kQBOpCLboje-0IWsKhLJwdXs-xPPrryGEtWbdsypzS29Txn_6vLFL7fwUuVqaCE1EfknCdOtAmBAZVulpv8TEPkA=w2400

Swaged the tube using a Craftsman socket and a small ball peen hammer; attached a S&J +1 mag extension

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2BX16Y_Lbln1EmHe9eiVLY5fgEBhk_Y_aAWO6pZvlGhRvgHE7cWmi0W7B4EpySSh93j0vcO5RSe8zSZ_bH1qKou_wkkKD3iv1iJ-Jf5IO6p67cHGstX9mqOxb7wLiFgmbi7eoXZvGQ=w2400

Automatic Weaponry sling plate; this is the sling plate that came on the 870 WP models provided to the US Marshall's Service before they became Scattergun Technologies and before Scattergun was sold to Wilson Combat. It's also found on the Scattergun Border Patrol contract models; again, prior to becoming Wilson Combat.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ra9FgBd7BqzeRw5s_-8KFr5FNdcR7-gbGgCeQXmCeuL7wUSvk_w4Uw8GXB-CN8OLe-YoVVHl518vXpIqPAMcFLUv8-wXscPmmAbRoIjV1-zUzG0iPaNQExFwY2IrFIR8z11d--Mm-Q=w2400

Furniture is cut down from a Remington 870 Express set made of birch.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ym2VlEaKilWCWa7OFTDOipERA72vON1_j9V4JkiL1gQNisAuCVH0lQsAHT09g3tIR02mTGF3R1xU-W0u6jYjmKImGBdjSUGqAPYBz4_ZvTvbmaBvlhC0Xb-R1tEcdTURXsJhbcNTQ=w2400

Added a Mauser sling swivel; not really happy with the results. I'm currently working on another birdshead grip made from a walnut 87M stock, that will be using a Garand swivel. It's not squeaky.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Dbygxx-qqYYAZ3B3dKeniq4aA7FRYKv3KN57JNleh6E7raCiod-s3r4NzuENmLG110W0Quzr4SyESrDQ824KEwjmOvY5nExAJnNWtpRk9wblKXQc7hJb56s0zVWGQTIQapoc111wiQ=w2400

I've added a large socket head bolt as a pommel, and you can see the plug ala 870 WP style. I'll also be modifying the pommel so it will be more effective at breaking glass

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EYphmJmbYX_Ci0JWg9s96TeHk-RH9NHsltid9mDD5F2Iy4TKJ3EEVy7xSB35ORrSV6dWqWxbCIxrUxrsVT78qMcY6Absm57jEfkTX-RhAaKQqJksGY21-vwIsY_mjZLe09NwsH3Fng=w2400

The sling is a nylon British FAL/Enfield sling. Most modern sling plates can't accommodate the hardware on these older military slings; the the AW sling plate slot is wider than the current Wilson combat sling plate or the S&J sling plate; which wouldn't allow me to use the British sling.

Best Regards

Rod
View Quote
Looks very nice.  I like the wood vs the plastic. You did an excellent job.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks very nice.  I like the wood vs the plastic. You did an excellent job.  Thanks for sharing.
View Quote
Thank you; and thanks to all for their posts. My hope is that we keep this going. Stay tuned for a few more mods in the not too distant future

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Here is mine with a Vang Comp barrel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37487/IMG_0479_jpg-1292573.JPG

Here is mine with a Vang Comp barrel.
View Quote
How did yours start out? Base Tac-14 or the hardwoods model?
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How did yours start out? Base Tac-14 or the hardwoods model?
View Quote
It was a base model.  I added the wood and the barrel.

Regards
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:39:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Joescuba

A side from the barrel, yours has a classic USMS WP look; very nice.

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
while it will ruin the traditional "look"... I added a hand loop, piece of 1" nylon strap originating from a swivel on the pommel, and adjustable so it meets your hand between the thumb and forefinger of you shooting hand, and still allows you to reach the trigger... really helps to controls the recoil and control of the gun... mine is a 590 with plastic and the wood stocked 870 I shot was much more difficult to maintain purchase onto ...

exceptionally nice job
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
while it will ruin the traditional "look"... I added a hand loop, piece of 1" nylon strap originating from a swivel on the pommel, and adjustable so it meets your hand between the thumb and forefinger of you shooting hand, and still allows you to reach the trigger... really helps to controls the recoil and control of the gun... mine is a 590 with plastic and the wood stocked 870 I shot was much more difficult to maintain purchase onto ...

exceptionally nice job
View Quote
sounds intriguing, post a picc

Rod
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:15:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/cValYt4.jpg

I changed the barrel on mine.
View Quote
I really like the Ithaca on the bottom; please give us more details and pics

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]
In for a page one post I'll update with a pic once I have one in hand.

I am trying to hunt down a Shockwave to keep factory fresh and I am looking for a Remington TAC 14 with the SB tactical brace. Which ever one pops up for sale locally to me will be the one I nab first. I love my 870 and have been wanting an SBS 870 for a while but living close to and often traveling across state lines has really turned my attention towards these firearms and saving the NFA hassle. I think the Mossberg's have an advantage in stock form with the ambi safety, drilled and tapped receiver and ability to reliably run minishells, but I am a big fan of the 870 action so I'll likely end up with both.

I am one of those guys that add a light to every gun I own... what are folks adding to these firearms?

Edit: FOUND ONE! She’s plane Jane for now...

I tossed a Mesa Tactical side saddle on there from a Benelli M1 but I’ll think I’ll use some shotgun cards. Never tried them before.

Now what extension, light and side saddle set up.

I know I want to use the scattergun sight system.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Mossberg with wood furniture... grip wrapped with rubber raquetball tape...
Scattergun Technologies sling plate, modified to fit... surplus M1 carbine sling, like the old witness protection guns...
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I really like the Ithaca on the bottom; please give us more details and pics

Regards

Rod
View Quote
It is factory Stakeout AOW. I bought it around 20 years ago from a dealer in Kentucky who claimed it came from Kentucky State Prison. There are no markings to verify that, so I don’t know if it did or not.  It has a 13 inch barrel with an over all length of about 24 inches. I added the front M&P bead. Quite a handful with full power 00 buck. I will have to look on my backup drive or make new pictures.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought I'd toss out a cheap accessory that gives the short pump action a bit of "urban" camouflage. It's a umbrella wet bag.

I have a door pocket on my truck that makes a nearly perfect rack for the bootlegger. Unfortunately when the the door is open it's all too obvious.

The bag obscures the shape just enough; so that most quick onlookers will never know or notice.

The bag is also good for discreetly transporting from home to vehicle and sheds water when the door is open while it's raining.

Best regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite way to discreetly transport?  The ever popular soprano saxophone case...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a number of cases, soft and hard, that are good for concealment and transport. None give me concealment in the vehicle, instant access, and the ability to engage the firearm while in the case. The plastic bag does all three at no cost. Next time you are running errands in the rain, and you walk into a Walmart, Piggley Wiggley, Kroger, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.; grab a bag for your umbrella and a couple for your truck gun  YMMV

Nice bag btw

Best Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
My ridiculously accessorized Shockwave:

TacStar stock adapter with SBA3 brace, Wisemen Split Fix strap and Magpul MOE K2 grip.
Magpul MS3 Gen 2 sling w/ GG&G ambi front sling mount
Streamlight TL-Racker forend/light
XS Sights Tritum Big Dot front bead
CDM Delta Wave safety
KE Arms sight mount with Holosun HE507C
Esstac 6 round shotgun cards

Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice; I've often mentioned that the scattergun is the modern equivalent to the war hammer; it fits your moniker.

Rod
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very nice; I've often mentioned that the scattergun is the modern equivalent to the war hammer; it fits your moniker.

Rod
View Quote
Thanks Rod! The moniker fits my personality, too. A heavy, blunt object! LOL

BTW, if anyone wants to put a light on their shorty not-a-shotgun, I would highly recommend the Streamlight TL-Racker.

Rex
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#21]
My couple of contributions.  Bottom is my 20 gauge TAC-14 which is now a Braced-12.25.  I agree with the post above about the TL-Racker forend.  Great simple way to add a light to these and I love the ergonomics of it.  The indented area right behind the light serves as a good handstop.   The item on top is my 12.5" 870 AOW.  I made this gun about six years ago when Indiana still had a law that prohibited having an SBS (a law thankfully done away with about five years ago).

Link Posted: 3/3/2020 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
yamadog35

Very nice indeed, really like the wood on on the AOW

Rod
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#23]
yamadog... that aow is one sexy piece!

Just a quick reminder to the gang... keep in mind the legality of carrying our "boom sticks".  Many places (to include the Carolinas) issue a "concealed HANDGUN permit".  Our "firearms" are NOT legally handguns...
Pay attention to your local and state laws, folks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Mesa Tactical stock adapter with SBA3 brace, Wisemen Split Fix strap and Magpul MOE K2 grip.
CDM Delta Wave safety

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49570280268_920b100de7_4k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49570280083_9d0b82e343_4k.jpg
View Quote
I kinda want the forend.

Sorry for the crappy picture.

GG&G Magpul Forend - Stippled
MFT Mini Light
M-Lok Handstop Probably going to replace this with a strike industries.
SBA3, Magpul K Grip, Tacstar Adapter
Tacstar Side Saddle
XS Sights Big Dot
KE Arms T1 Mount
Holosun 503gu Circle Dot
CDM Wave Safety
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
yamadog35

Very nice indeed, really like the wood on on the AOW

Rod
View Quote
Thanks.  I found the wood for this on eBay.  It was hand made by a guy in Thailand.  I think he is still selling different types of 870 wood.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The sling is a nylon British FAL/Enfield L1A1 SLR sling.
View Quote
FIFY = those nylon slings were ONLY used on the SLR, never on the No.4 Enfield (those used the cotton web version)

Nice project
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

FIFY = those nylon slings were ONLY used on the SLR, never on the No.4 Enfield (those used the cotton web version)

Nice project
View Quote
Saddler

Thanks for the compliment. Nice to come across another Enfield aficionado!

You are correct regarding the sling; Nylon was manufactured for the L1A1. However, Many of the Irish constabulary contract UF 55 (I purchased 2 in 1995-1998ish) came with a bayonet, lots of cosmoline and the sling pictured. Since these Enfields were never issued, and manufactured 2 years before L1A1 production. It's likely if needed, over the next several decades they would have come out of the armory with the nylon sling. The cotton versions had ceased production. Most unfortunate for an older soldier who was used to the longer cotton Enfield version. All speculation of course; key phrase "never say never". The Enfields can certainly sport the nylon version effectively. I described the sling as such because most surplus retailers sell the nylon as an Enfield sling not knowing the difference. BTW the nylon is harder and harder to come by. I sold off my Enfield collection about 20 years ago 2 NOS cotton slings; and maybe 3 or 4 nylon slings. Kept the better unissued UF 55( finish is still mint) and a nylon sling because it's more or less period correct. Wish I had kept all the nylon slings. Hind site....

Best Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I found the wood for this on eBay.  It was hand made by a guy in Thailand.  I think he is still selling different types of 870 wood.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on EBay; I’ve seen several sellers from Asia and at least one from either Turkey or Greece with Birdshead grips and the ribbed forends. Haven’t seen any lately quite like yours; I’ll be sure to keep an eye out

Edit: now that I think about it the Turk/Greek maker may have been on Etsy.

Thanks again

Rod
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I cut down a walnut stock and put it it on my 20ga Tac 14. Sling is for an M1 Garand.

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
This was my attempt to emulate the WP shotgun. Registered SBS built on a new 870 Express about a year before the Shockwave/Tac14 guns started rolling out.

I intended to get it cerakoted but haven’t. Also need to put a bead site and sling mounts on it. Another birdshead grip purchased from a supplier in Asia via eBay.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/URNSHYCmWmUBhGpC9

Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#31]
TXJP90

Here ya go; created a link from google photo; nice start, although you almost don't need the bead w/ that short of a barrel

m14fun

I like it; thanks for posting

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Rod. Trying to keep current with all of the website tricks...If I can figure it out I’ll post a few more.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I kinda want the forend.

https://i.imgur.com/1mUu0h7.jpg

MFT Mini Light
Tacstar Side Saddle
XS Sights Big Dot
KE Arms T1 Mount
Holosun 503gu Circle Dot
CDM Wave Safety
View Quote
We've got really similar setups. I had a Magpul forend with a side-mounted light before I got the Streamlight forend. The Streamlight is definitely an upgrade in every way!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice; making me want to buy another Tac-14 and put a arm brace on it. I saw where Magpul is releasing two models of arm brace in the fall of 2020. Any one have experience with them?

Magpul BTR

Magpul BSL

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got this ammo holder from Bushido Tactical. You can order it to attach either to a 1.5" belt or MOLLE/PALS. I bought the belt version.

Overall I'm pleased with it; I'd also like to try the SOE pull out pouch, but they were out of stock. Once I get the SOE I'll do a side by side review.

Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We've got really similar setups. I had a Magpul forend with a side-mounted light before I got the Streamlight forend. The Streamlight is definitely an upgrade in every way!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda want the forend.

https://i.imgur.com/1mUu0h7.jpg

MFT Mini Light
Tacstar Side Saddle
XS Sights Big Dot
KE Arms T1 Mount
Holosun 503gu Circle Dot
CDM Wave Safety
Still waiting on GG&G to ship out my racker. 6-7. business days this day and age for an accessory is nuts. I shoulda ordered elsewhere for a little more
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#39]
NICE!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Is that using the enidine buffer tube? Hows the recoil with that and the brace? thinking of goin a similar route.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Racker arrived, damn that is bright. Also heavier than I thought it would be, but it's pretty solid.

Still fits in a scabbard too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#42]
What exactly is that. I want one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What exactly is that. I want one.
View Quote
Tac-13 SBS
Magpul 870 stock
Magpul sling
Krylon Multicam
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tac-13 SBS
Magpul 870 stock
Magpul sling
Krylon Multicam
View Quote
So you did a form 1 for it?  It's beautiful. I have no clue what a form 1 is or how to even start it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So you did a form 1 for it?  It's beautiful. I have no clue what a form 1 is or how to even start it.
View Quote
Yes.

I shamelessly stole the idea from Tactical Coyote.  

Form 1/4 guide
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mesa Tactical stock adapter with SBA3 brace, Wisemen Split Fix strap and Magpul MOE K2 grip.
CDM Delta Wave safety

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49570280268_920b100de7_4k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49570280083_9d0b82e343_4k.jpg
View Quote
Quoted:
My couple of contributions.  Bottom is my 20 gauge TAC-14 which is now a Braced-12.25.  I agree with the post above about the TL-Racker forend.  Great simple way to add a light to these and I love the ergonomics of it.  The indented area right behind the light serves as a good handstop.   The item on top is my 12.5" 870 AOW.  I made this gun about six years ago when Indiana still had a law that prohibited having an SBS (a law thankfully done away with about five years ago).

https://i.imgur.com/w1g6oOu.jpg
View Quote
Why does one Mesa tactical adapter appear to have the brace sticking out parallel to the ground while the other is at an angle?  I have a Shockwave I want to do this to.

@TheWarHammer
@yamadog35
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Do companies actually sell SBS's other than the Tac 14 and shockwave? I can't find any anywhere even on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#48]
There are many.  Some major manufacturers have separate websites for their NFA(class III) weapons; others will have dedicated sections or links to law enforcement/military weapons . Just takes a little looking. Key words in a google search will be the manufacturer name then, "military" "police" "law enforcement" etc.

Mossberg Law Enforcement

Remington Defense

Good luck in searching

Best Regards

Rod
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why does one Mesa tactical adapter appear to have the brace sticking out parallel to the ground while the other is at an angle?  I have a Shockwave I want to do this to.

@TheWarHammer
@yamadog35
View Quote
There are several adapters out there.  Mesa, Ergo, and TacStar are the ones I know about.  I could be wrong but the adapter used by @TheWarHammer looks like the TacStar to me.  Ergo and Tacstar both have the downward slope.  The Mesa Leo has the parallel configuration.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There are many.  Some major manufacturers have separate websites for their NFA(class III) weapons; others will have dedicated sections or links to law enforcement/military weapons . Just takes a little looking. Key words in a google search will be the manufacturer name then, "military" "police" "law enforcement" etc.

Mossberg Law Enforcement

Remington Defense

Good luck in searching

Best Regards

Rod
View Quote
Thanks I was searching for 14 inch shotguns and didnt try military or Po po.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top