Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/20/2014 5:33:46 PM EDT
One particular suppressed dealer that does the most transfers and it wouldn't take much to figure that out is doing efiles bulk. Meaning doing all other efiles at one time but it takes the website all day to download the files. Keeping it tied up all day. On top of that their offering to do other dealers exiles for them also that do business with them. Keeping the system tied up for everyone else. I understand they have to do business but at the cost of hurting everyone else sucks.

This came from A big supressor supplier not dealer.

What do you guys think and have you heard this also.

Oh by the way I got my second can efiled today. Got a spec war and now a spectre II on the way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You read this: FFLs Claim Austin’s Silencer Shop is Single-Handedly Crashing ATF’s E-Forms System

Not the first time it's been posted here today.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Given how crappy the system is, it's no surprise that the people who use the site the most are using the most bandwidth.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Doubt it.  The website sucks, pure and simple.  I sent a somewhat  curt email the other day after trying to sign on for three consecutive days.  Every time it was down for daily maintenance.  I actually received a response , basically saying the site is undergoing a major overhaul, but by opening the browser, deleting all cookies and history, closing browser, then restarting I should be golden.  But to no avail.  It is down at this moment.  

Whether the site lacks the bandwidth, servers, or has the worst design and programming ever,  I don't know.  If one dealer can lock up an entire website, it isn't the dealers fault, it is simply the piss poor performance  and design of the site.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doubt it.  The website sucks, pure and simple.  I sent a somewhat  curt email the other day after trying to sign on for three consecutive days.  Every time it was down for daily maintenance.  I actually received a response , basically saying the site is undergoing a major overhaul, but by opening the browser, deleting all cookies and history, closing browser, then restarting I should be golden.  But to no avail.  It is down at this moment.  

Whether the site lacks the bandwidth, servers, or has the worst design and programming ever,  I don't know.  If one dealer can lock up an entire website, it isn't the dealers fault, it is simply the piss poor performance  and design of the site.
View Quote

I'm with you there. It's not the dealers fault they have a lot of customers, (that are paying for their stamp too) it's the govts fault. The simple solution is to up the system, but given the current admins attitude towards the 2nd amendment, I think this is a feature not a bug.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Those guys are light years ahead of everyone else.  Good for them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I have been waiting on a form 3 from them since November 13.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:51:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
ATF designed the website to accept batch uploads so its not Silencer Shops fault for utilizing it.  If other shops have problems with the website take it up with ATF or submit the forms like we all have previously, by mail.

Personally, I have had great experiences with them and will continue to use them in the future.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
The atf system needs servers with more speed and bandwidth.  That should be an incredibly simple problem to solve.  The private sector makes similar upgrades hundreds of times a day.  In lieu of repair the system is just another example of how government can't compete with private sector.

Further I would argue that if the site can handle 4 per minute, batch uploading by everyone using the system might actually reduce theoutages of the system. 4 per minute is over 2 million per year.  Obviously Microsoft outlook style processing by all would result in greater efficiency using the same inadequate server system.

Actual traffic of forms should be about 80k per year and shows you how crippling single submissions are to the current system.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But I'm mostly shocked by the second part, offering to submit forms for other dealers. That just seems like a terrible idea, and I can't believe anyone would be on board with it (including Silencer Shop, the other SOTs, and the ATF). There's no way I would give a 3rd party access to our ATF paperwork and software. If you allow them as a user on your account, they can submit anything they want, cancel anything they want, view your entire NFA inventory, look at your past sales, etc. I wouldn't want any party outside of our company and the ATF viewing that information, much less a competing retailer.
View Quote

Plenty of people have posted about how their dealers didn't know anything about eForms and were reluctant to do anything with it. They're providing a wanted/needed service to their customers.

What benefit is there for them to submit anything, cancel anything, and just royally f you over? None, they'd lose all their business. What benefit is it for them to make your purchase smooth and easy? You're going to buy through them AGAIN.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How do you do batch uploads? From what I've seen, that's not an option on the E-forms site. We rarely do more than 4-5 eform submissions a day, but a batch upload would still be handy.

I've been following this on a few other forums, including a forum that's restricted to FFL holders only. What they're claiming is that Silencer Shop has some type of software or program that is submitting eforms in batches, but it also has the capability to constantly submit forms and pound them through until they are accepted. So while many of us have resorted to trying to submit forms multiple times until it goes through, their software is automated and just keeps trying hundreds (or maybe thousands) of times until it works. That seems to be what is crashing the system. So it may not be an issue with the batch uploads, but the way that they're trying to force them through?

Supposedly, they have tried to sell the software to other FFLs so that they can do batch uploads as well, and I'm not sure what the ATF's stance on that is.

Whether or not this information is accurate, or just speculation, I really don't know. I'm just repeating what I have read on other forums. So take this information with a grain of salt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ATF designed the website to accept batch uploads so its not Silencer Shops fault for utilizing it.

How do you do batch uploads? From what I've seen, that's not an option on the E-forms site. We rarely do more than 4-5 eform submissions a day, but a batch upload would still be handy.

I've been following this on a few other forums, including a forum that's restricted to FFL holders only. What they're claiming is that Silencer Shop has some type of software or program that is submitting eforms in batches, but it also has the capability to constantly submit forms and pound them through until they are accepted. So while many of us have resorted to trying to submit forms multiple times until it goes through, their software is automated and just keeps trying hundreds (or maybe thousands) of times until it works. That seems to be what is crashing the system. So it may not be an issue with the batch uploads, but the way that they're trying to force them through?

Supposedly, they have tried to sell the software to other FFLs so that they can do batch uploads as well, and I'm not sure what the ATF's stance on that is.

Whether or not this information is accurate, or just speculation, I really don't know. I'm just repeating what I have read on other forums. So take this information with a grain of salt.

I've only been to SS once, and that was to purchase a Specwar762 and a NFA trust (which I love). That being said, IIRC some of the guys on their staff are programmers, so I wouldn't doubt that they would come up with something to help get their E-forms submitted easily. Now whether or not it is this program and not the crappy servers .gov has, I'll let others be the judge of that, just think about how crappy the obummercare website is though.

To address the other issue with SS supposedly submitting other FFLs e-forms, with the programmers that are supposedly on staff, I wouldn't doubt that they have some sort of way to keep liability away from themselves. just spitballing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that SS has probably considered all of these issues.  If I was the most efficient NFA paperwork process in the country (my assumption) I'd probably figure out a way to leverage that by outsourcing the service.

I'm not IT guy, but wouldn't it be possible to develop some secure mechanism for data entry (i.e. an app on the dealer's desktop PC), establish some firewall to protect that data from Silencer Shop, and then route it in with their batch filing process?

I hope the suppressor distribution industry is paying attention, because is sounds like SS is kicking everyone's butt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Or maybe it is a case of the competition starting rumors(and that's all they are at this point) to turn people against SS? That's the price you pay when you are top dog, everyone wants to take a shot at you. It sure wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened in this industry.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone wonder if the system is purposefully being slowed or crashed to limit the number of Forms 4's getting through because of their desire for the CLEO requirement for trusts/corps. Delay until they can mandate the CLEO deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those forms would be submitted no matter what. The fact that one shop is doing it is irrelevant. If anything SS's way is a hell of a lot more efficient than submitting them individually.

This is good for us. The more the process is streamlined the better it is for us and the more people will buy into NFA.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've stated my take on this in the thread already, but wanted to thank you for chiming in with accurate info, both here and in many other threads.

We'd be speculating our asses off otherwise
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
No surprise.  Everything "service" our government provides sucks donkey cock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably bad form to quote myself, but what the hell.  I think this is interesting and potentially game changing.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencer-shop-direct/

What do you guys think of this?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Probably bad form to quote myself, but what the hell.  I think this is interesting and potentially game changing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting...

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting. It seems to me like SS is trying to establish what almost amount to branches or franchises in other FFLs. I will be I interested to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:56:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like the Obamacare website.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 3:45:41 AM EDT
[#26]
There's no way it's SS shutting the system down.

If you're telling me that they're selling at least 250 cans a day X $295 each, that's $73k a day in sales. (I used $295 as an example on the lower end.)

$73k X 365 days = $27,xxx,xxx

If you're website can't handle 250 form submissions, it's crap to begin with.

The gun community is so full of crap and rumors. You can walk into any shop any day and hear some new made up ATF related story. The failure of the eForm website is like saying healthcare.gov wasn't working because it was so popular and too many people tried to get on.  I have a friend that works for the DoD, and sometimes works from home. It takes HOURS to log into the system because it's that archaic and faulty in design. I see this as nothing more than devising a way for dealers to eat their own. Blackball SS. It wouldn't surprise me if an envious dealer starts a campaign to get others to refuse to accept transfers from SS in efforts to shut them down.  

I'm shutting my business down and opening a SilencerShop if that tiny place is doing $73k a day in sales.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:46:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]
I took a look at their revamped website.  I think the idea of the direct thing is interesting, but not so much in practice.  It wouldn't save me any money or time either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#29]
What shop has over 1,000 silencers in stock at any given time?

Or 500.

Sells 500 a day, and is able to replenish their stock in 24 hours?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As I stated before, I think it's a terrible idea. They're just contracting with other FFL/SOTs and asking to be authorized users on their Eforms account. It opens them and the FFL/SOTs up to a ton of liability, and I will be amazed if the ATF doesn't shut this idea down immediately.

The more I think about it, I remember that I had to be added as a responsible person on our FFL in order to sign off on NFA forms. We had a few get kicked back when we started because I wasn't listed. Now I seriously doubt that anyone would add a Silencer Shop employee to their FFL/SOT, and if they do, they're insane.

So I would guess one of 2 things happens with this program:
1. Forms get kicked back because the ATF says that Silencer Shop isn't authorized to submit forms on behalf of other FFL/SOTs.
or
2. One or more Silencer Shop employees has been given authorization to submit forms by the FFL/SOT's themselves. In that case, I would think they're going to be held just as liable as the FFL holders themselves, if unlawful activity ever occurs. IE: Bob's Gun Shop gets shut down and their FFL revoked, and Silencer Shop gets tied up in the mess because they're handling paperwork for Bob's Gun Shop and are also considered responsible for any/all transactions. Even if Silencer Shop does nothing wrong, and never makes a mistake, they risk being prosecuted by the ATF for crimes commited by Bob's Gun Shop, simply because they're involved with doing the NFA paperwork.

When you submit an Eform on the site through your account, you are swearing that you are personally responsible for the information transmitted, and that you're authorized to submit the forms. Now Silencer Shop is taking on that burden for other dealers that they don't even know.

It's a bad idea all around, for every party involved. I'm no lawyer, and I don't work for the ATF, but I can't see how this idea is going to pan out well for them. I'm not even sure that it's legal, to be honest. But it's their program, so I would assume they've at least done some research and have spoken with lawyers and the ATF before proceeding. Either way, there's a good chance they could go bankrupt trying to defend themselves in a civil case that comes about if something ever blows up on them down the road. Whether it be a criminal case or a civil suit, there's just way too much liability at stake, so I can't imagine that the program is going to be a success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated before, I think it's a terrible idea. They're just contracting with other FFL/SOTs and asking to be authorized users on their Eforms account. It opens them and the FFL/SOTs up to a ton of liability, and I will be amazed if the ATF doesn't shut this idea down immediately.

The more I think about it, I remember that I had to be added as a responsible person on our FFL in order to sign off on NFA forms. We had a few get kicked back when we started because I wasn't listed. Now I seriously doubt that anyone would add a Silencer Shop employee to their FFL/SOT, and if they do, they're insane.

So I would guess one of 2 things happens with this program:
1. Forms get kicked back because the ATF says that Silencer Shop isn't authorized to submit forms on behalf of other FFL/SOTs.
or
2. One or more Silencer Shop employees has been given authorization to submit forms by the FFL/SOT's themselves. In that case, I would think they're going to be held just as liable as the FFL holders themselves, if unlawful activity ever occurs. IE: Bob's Gun Shop gets shut down and their FFL revoked, and Silencer Shop gets tied up in the mess because they're handling paperwork for Bob's Gun Shop and are also considered responsible for any/all transactions. Even if Silencer Shop does nothing wrong, and never makes a mistake, they risk being prosecuted by the ATF for crimes commited by Bob's Gun Shop, simply because they're involved with doing the NFA paperwork.

When you submit an Eform on the site through your account, you are swearing that you are personally responsible for the information transmitted, and that you're authorized to submit the forms. Now Silencer Shop is taking on that burden for other dealers that they don't even know.

It's a bad idea all around, for every party involved. I'm no lawyer, and I don't work for the ATF, but I can't see how this idea is going to pan out well for them. I'm not even sure that it's legal, to be honest. But it's their program, so I would assume they've at least done some research and have spoken with lawyers and the ATF before proceeding. Either way, there's a good chance they could go bankrupt trying to defend themselves in a civil case that comes about if something ever blows up on them down the road. Whether it be a criminal case or a civil suit, there's just way too much liability at stake, so I can't imagine that the program is going to be a success.

As I read it, this Silencer Shop Direct service sounds different than what was described in the OP and The Truth About Guns story on this.

This new service sounds like they would turn local Class III dealers into SS franchises which would allow them to circumvent the form 3 process (or at least something more elegant than filling out Form 4s for local dealers).  The result would be that you would begin your purchase with SS Texas and pick up your can at SS Connecticut.  You'd pay some fee for this service (which they would use to pay local dealers) that would approximate the transfer fees charged locally.

If I'm reading this correctly, it would change the suppressor distribution business model significantly and would eliminate a lot of the advantages of being a local, stocking Surefire dealer, for example.

Again, I'm coming at this with limited knowledge of the Class III distribution business and I'm just trying to interpret the process as they describe it.  I don't know if you can skip the form 3 process in this way, but am throwing this out for discussion.  If what I'm suggesting is not possible, then apologies for the 45 seconds of your life that you'll never get back
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Someone who knows more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a way to circumvent a Form 3 for dealer to dealer.  It still looks to me like they are having affiliated dealers, not locations all over the place.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Someone who knows more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a way to circumvent a Form 3 for dealer to dealer.  It still looks to me like they are having affiliated dealers, not locations all over the place.
View Quote

Just to clarify, I was suggesting something like having Billy Bob's Gun Shack also serve as Silencer Shop - CT.  Don't know if it's possible.

Related question, if Cabela's was a Class III dealer, could they just Form 4 your suppressor order and ship it to any of their locations in the US for you to pick up?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just to clarify, I was suggesting something like having Billy Bob's Gun Shack also serve as Silencer Shop - CT.  Don't know if it's possible.

Related question, if Cabela's was a Class III dealer, could they just Form 4 your suppressor order and ship it to any of their locations in the US for you to pick up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing no, but hopefully someone who knows more can clarify.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I don't think that would be legal. My assumption is that they will work something out with local 01/03s where they will basically run the NFA side of the shop. The local FFL will get a certain percentage of sales or a fee and in tern, SS will keep inventory allocated to the store so that F4s can be started immediately upon purchase. It is actually a pretty decent idea in that respect, but as has been mentioned, the possible legal consequences could be bad.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
^^^^^ Thanks for the education.

Looks like UM-Iceman Industries, LLC  won't be taking over the firearms world anytime soon
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#37]
From what silencer shop direct page shows is the fee of 70 on top of the tax stamp is what you pay...my two cans that I bought locally to me matched their price after tax out the door...I would save 70 alone if my local LGS/SOT keeps doing that...if not...looks like I'll just use silencer shop direct.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Or 500.

View Quote

SS probably has more than that on hand at any given time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or 500.

And they're selling 1,000 silencers a day? 30,000 silencers a month? Over 10 million silencers a year?

If that's the case, why the hell would you even open a gun shop? Just sell silencers. I find it hard to believe they're able to restock with 1,000 silencers every day to be able to keep selling them like hot cakes perpetually, and batch upload 1,000 form 3s and 4s every single night. The claim is that they're uploading thousands each day.

Who is lying? Is there even an FFL selling 1,000 handguns and rifles in a day?
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Silencer Shop should take over the ATF servers, that would get things fixed.

What kills me about this is that the ATF is essentially running a database that uploads text, and some PDFs.  There are not even any large files.  There is no rocket surgery at all... and it's full of fail.

Good on 'em.  Their customer service rocks... their prices are great.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And they're selling 1,000 silencers a day? 30,000 silencers a month? Over 10 million silencers a year?

If that's the case, why the hell would you even open a gun shop? Just sell silencers. I find it hard to believe they're able to restock with 1,000 silencers every day to be able to keep selling them like hot cakes perpetually, and batch upload 1,000 form 3s and 4s every single night. The claim is that they're uploading thousands each day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or 500.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's no way they sell a thousand a day. The biggest shop in my state only sold low five-digit guns last year. But they probably have close to that on hand.

Now, if they're ramming submissions through repeatedly until they're accepted, there could be 1000+ attempted submissions daily.

IIRC the system was designed for the use of smaller manufacturers, dealers and SOTs, not for the high volume manufacturers. It was never designed to take the massive load it's gotten.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered from them a little over a month ago and was not given this option. They transferred to my state SOT and he efiled for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Or 500.
View Quote

Quite a few. I am sure MMM did. Get a few good deals a SHOT and 500 is easy.

The simple here is we know how many forms ATF processes each year (give or take), and any decent website should be able to handle that with ease.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got off the phone with Silencer Shop asking about this program.  The gentleman I spoke with told me this program just went live today along with a whole new computer system and that I was the first caller asking about it.

Situation for me:  I'm in Florida and they're in Texas.

He told me that to buy a silencer through this program that I would buy the silencer and pay the $200 tax stamp fee.  Then I'd email in a copy of my trust which SS would Efile with the ATF.  After it comes back approved, SS will package my tax stamp with the silencer, ship it to a local dealer (which in my case would most likely be Shooters) via FedEx or UPS and that I'd go to Shooters, pay them a $70 transfer fee and take possession of my tax stamp and silencer.  I specifically asked about the time it would take to do the transfer between SS and Shooters and he said that wouldn't be an issue.  He said the only delay in this process vs. buying locally would be however long it takes FedEx/UPS to transfer the silencer from TX to FL.  

Apparently they contract with the local dealers on the transfer fee.  In the past Shooters has told me they charge $200 to do an NFA transfer, as opposed to the $70 I was quoted by SS.

I'm sure there are still plenty of unanswered questions, but this is all the information I just received.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

great prices, friendly guys,, have things in stock.. easy to get setup.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#47]
So let me see if I got this right.

ATF puts up a half assed E-form site and clearly underestimates the capacity needed.

Silencer Shop thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because it will be faster for customers and will help them do more business.

SS starts using it immediately and gets a ton of business because they are on the cutting edge and are tech savvy so they are able to figure out the system and work with workarounds.

SS finds that forms (even though they are correct) aren't accepted by the half-assed system sometimes, so they design a way to keep submitting them until the broke ass system accepts it.

Other businesses whine because the system is slow because the ATF did not spec it correctly and it is being heavily utilized.

So instead of telling the ATF to fix their broke ass web application and upgrade their hardware to handle the demand, they blame a shop who is doing a huge business?

Get real. Quit eating our own, people. This thread is dildos and you shops should be ashamed of yourselves.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So let me see if I got this right.

ATF puts up a half assed E-form site and clearly underestimates the capacity needed.

Silencer Shop thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread because it will be faster for customers and will help them do more business.

SS starts using it immediately and gets a ton of business because they are on the cutting edge and are tech savvy so they are able to figure out the system and work with workarounds.

SS finds that forms (even though they are correct) aren't accepted by the half-assed system sometimes, so they design a way to keep submitting them until the broke ass system accepts it.

Other businesses whine because the system is slow because the ATF did not spec it correctly and it is being heavily utilized.

So instead of telling the ATF to fix their broke ass web application and upgrade their hardware to handle the demand, they blame a shop who is doing a huge business?

Get real. Quit eating our own, people. This thread is dildos and you shops should be ashamed of yourselves.
View Quote

Word.

SS is playing chess while everyone else is shoving crayons up their nose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with Silencer Shop asking about this program.  The gentleman I spoke with told me this program just went live today along with a whole new computer system and that I was the first caller asking about it.

Situation for me:  I'm in Florida and they're in Texas.

He told me that to buy a silencer through this program that I would buy the silencer and pay the $200 tax stamp fee.  Then I'd email in a copy of my trust which SS would Efile with the ATF.  After it comes back approved, SS will package my tax stamp with the silencer, ship it to a local dealer (which in my case would most likely be Shooters) via FedEx or UPS and that I'd go to Shooters, pay them a $70 transfer fee and take possession of my tax stamp and silencer.  I specifically asked about the time it would take to do the transfer between SS and Shooters and he said that wouldn't be an issue.  He said the only delay in this process vs. buying locally would be however long it takes FedEx/UPS to transfer the silencer from TX to FL.  

Apparently they contract with the local dealers on the transfer fee.  In the past Shooters has told me they charge $200 to do an NFA transfer, as opposed to the $70 I was quoted by SS.

I'm sure there are still plenty of unanswered questions, but this is all the information I just received.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I haven't seen anyone make that claim on any of the forums I've been reading. But if so, it's definitely false. They might be making thousands of uploads per day, if you're counting each submission attempt as an "upload". But there's no way they're doing 1,000+ forms 3/4s in a day.

The ATF processed 137,000 total NFA forms in 2012, including manufacturer submissions and GOV/LE/MIL transfers. Even if Silencer Shop was responsible for 25% of all NFA forms in the country (which I seriously doubt is accurate), it would mean that they're submitting about 35,000 forms per year, or about 125 per business day.

I'm guessing their bulk submissions are more in the 25-50 forms per day, range. That's still a lot of suppressors, and a pretty large business for someone selling a single product line. But there's no way they have 1,000+ forms a day, and I doubt they even have 1,000+ silencers in inventory at any given time. Even the big distributors barely have 1,000+ in stock at once, and they're supplying a bug chunk of NFA dealers all over the country.

So the participating dealers probably aren't charging a transfer fee, and I'm guessing the $70 goes to them. They agree to transfer Silencer Shop purchases for $70, customer pays SS directly, and doesn't have to touch anything until their Form 4 is approved.

It's a good deal for the customer, so I can see why they want to do this. But the liability greatly outweighs the benefits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The claim is that they're uploading thousands each day.

I haven't seen anyone make that claim on any of the forums I've been reading. But if so, it's definitely false. They might be making thousands of uploads per day, if you're counting each submission attempt as an "upload". But there's no way they're doing 1,000+ forms 3/4s in a day.

The ATF processed 137,000 total NFA forms in 2012, including manufacturer submissions and GOV/LE/MIL transfers. Even if Silencer Shop was responsible for 25% of all NFA forms in the country (which I seriously doubt is accurate), it would mean that they're submitting about 35,000 forms per year, or about 125 per business day.

I'm guessing their bulk submissions are more in the 25-50 forms per day, range. That's still a lot of suppressors, and a pretty large business for someone selling a single product line. But there's no way they have 1,000+ forms a day, and I doubt they even have 1,000+ silencers in inventory at any given time. Even the big distributors barely have 1,000+ in stock at once, and they're supplying a bug chunk of NFA dealers all over the country.

Quoted:
From what silencer shop direct page shows is the fee of 70 on top of the tax stamp is what you pay...

So the participating dealers probably aren't charging a transfer fee, and I'm guessing the $70 goes to them. They agree to transfer Silencer Shop purchases for $70, customer pays SS directly, and doesn't have to touch anything until their Form 4 is approved.

It's a good deal for the customer, so I can see why they want to do this. But the liability greatly outweighs the benefits.

You might be surprised just how many cans Dave has in stock. He orders hundreds at a time of each popular can. I saw the boxes upon boxes worth of just specwar 7.62s he got in. At any given time hes got about 8 people working at his store so not exactly a small operation for one type of good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top