Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/5/2021 9:45:13 PM EDT
Anyone loaded/tested these things yet?

At 15 cents delivered, there is hardly any better value.... just curious and odd I cannot find any definitive/recent reviews.

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/rifle/224-5-56mm/224-69-gr-rmr-jacketed-hollow-point-boat-tail-3-gun-hunter-bullets-new/
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This is mostly a tag, because I ordered 500 last week and I'm curious myself.

I think these were just released in the last few weeks, I could be wrong though. If that's right then there probably aren't many in people's hands yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some a few years ago, and never loaded any.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGE:

I think these were just released in the last few weeks, I could be wrong though. If that's right then there probably aren't many in people's hands yet.
View Quote

They released a big run back in 2017.... there are a few posts from other sites on the web with good results.... but I feel like there has to be a reason the took a break all this time.

I ordered 1000 (all I could get) this week but it will be a while before I work up a load and compare to 69 SMK's.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

They released a big run back in 2017.... there are a few posts from other sites on the web with good results.... but I feel like there has to be a reason the took a break all this time.

I ordered 1000 (all I could get) this week but it will be a while before I work up a load and compare to 69 SMK's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Originally Posted By TGE:

Gotcha, and thank you.

Hopefully they've fixed whatever was wrong with that first run. Will watch the thread here and come back if no one else posts results before I get to test them

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shot a couple thousand of them. Load them like you would the Nosler or Sierra 69's.

My carbines like 25.0 gr. of TAC.

Very good bullet that is on par with either the Noslers or Sierras.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:04:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#6]
They showed 22,000 in stock yesterday, and I couldn't add any to cart. Now they don't come up on their site, except through your link. I'd like to try some. PPU 69gr came in stock today at Graf's, but they are limiting to 500. I've got a couple thousand PPU 75gr, and they are fairly inconsistent in overall length. Uwards of .028 different. Need to get a comparator to check length to ogive. I got them cheap, and they shoot halfway decent at least.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
23, 23.3, 23.7, 24.3, 24.6 of 8208 XBR are what I have loaded for testing
LC case
CCI 400 primer
So exactly where Id be for testing any 68 or 69 bullet.
Ill be shooting them on Monday I hope.

Jake is putting these out at a pretty good rate, so keep checking their website
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#9]
6 years to make it happen! They better speed that machine up to pay for the R&D and equipment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By pepe-lepew:
6 years to make it happen! They better speed that machine up to pay for the R&D and equipment.
View Quote

This is actually the first machine they bought according to Jake, even before they started doing pistol bullets.  Im glad they took the time to get it right.  I weighed a bunch of these on my FX120i and they are consistently 69 to 69.1 gr on all of them and they measure out pretty consistent.  

Im more than happy to shoot 69gr bullets all day at a decent price.  Cheap enough that I dont feel bad loading them on the progressive a 1000 at a time and dumping them into an ammo can.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#11]
Makes no difference, as there are none available for sale right now.  :-(
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Tagged for more info.

I could definitely use 20,000 or so.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
These are coming in stock every few days. They are releasing them in batches.

I have 500 that should be here on Saturday. I don't know when I will get to shoot any.

I am waiting on my Match rifle powder from Grafs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:
These are coming in stock every few days. They are releasing them in batches.

I have 500 that should be here on Saturday. I don't know when I will get to shoot any.

I am waiting on my Match rifle powder from Grafs.
View Quote

I managed to snag 1k this last time and they are supposed to be here Saturday as well. I also don't know when I'll get to load and test any...
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kaldor:
LC case
CCI 400 primer

View Quote

Id say they shoot alright.  SD is a little higher than Id like to see.  Im running mixed year LC brass, so I expect some issues.  I plan on reshooting this weekend with a 10 shot group to see if the group stays small.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Id say they shoot alright.  SD is a little higher than Id like to see.  Im running mixed year LC brass, so I expect some issues.  I plan on reshooting this weekend with a 10 shot group to see if the group stays small.

https://i.imgur.com/cGdK55Q.jpg
View All Quotes
LC case
CCI 400 primer

Wow....
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, that’s good. I have 500 ready to load.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered some of their "matchwinner" 9mm bullets a while back that were absolutely terrible. Ten inch groups off a Ransom Rest at 50 yards. Maybe they'd be "match winners" in some run-n-gun game banging big steel plates at 4 yards ...

Hopefully these are better but I'll wait for some more results before I give their match offerings another go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Tracking showed delivery this coming Saturday...USPS did something faster for the first time in a few months!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
LC case
CCI 400 primer

Yep, I'd call that at least "alright"

Mine came in a few days ago so will load some up this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
They never did shoot accurate enough for me.  Multiple powders, charges, and rifles tried.  They shot no better than commercial 55gr fmj bullets (but did better than pulled M193 bullets).  Heck, if someone was near me (Milton, Fl), I'd give the 600 or so of them I have left of them away.  Mine came from when they were first offering them and were supposedly not 2nds.  They look nice....
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered 1k this afternoon.

Buddy of mine got 500 delivered last week and gave me ~40 to try but I haven't had a chance yet.

Nice looking bullets.

He said he put his over some Varget, think he said he settled on 24.2gr but I can't remember for sure.

Varget is probably going to be my choice too but I also have TAC, WC-844 and 748 so I'll be following this thread for ideas/results.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I’m super interested in these, but am waiting to hear how the recent lots are accuracy wise. I’ve got a solid 69 SMK + XBR combo...

ZA
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
OST
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By WholeBunches:
They never did shoot accurate enough for me.  Multiple powders, charges, and rifles tried.  They shot no better than commercial 55gr fmj bullets (but did better than pulled M193 bullets).  Heck, if someone was near me (Milton, Fl), I'd give the 600 or so of them I have left of them away.  Mine came from when they were first offering them and were supposedly not 2nds.  They look nice....
View Quote

I'm in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
They tweaked the bullet since that release... they are calling these near perfect now, just need to refine the polishing.

From rnr

We make this bullet ourselves.  It is still in development so there may be some variances from lot to lot. We have pretty much gotten this bullet to where we want it.  It is nearly perfect.  I say nearly because city wastewater requirements mean we don’t currently have a way to polish/degrease this bullet that does not require corn cob.  That means that most of these will have a little bit of corn cob stuck in the tip.  We have the weight and OAL tolerances to near perfect.  I’ve shot a ton of very expensive bullets that were not nearly as consistent as these.  Don’t let the price fool you, these are every bit as good or better than what the competition sells at twice the price.  We are currently working on a wastewater solution so we can wet polish these guys.  We haven’t yet done extensive testing on the BC but you should expect about .320-.335 depending on the velocity you shoot it at.  We would love to get your feedback on long distance BC.

For those of you who have been following this bullet, this bullet was actually the very first product RMR ever planned on making.  We bought the machine an entire year before we ever started making 9mm bullets.  We ran into a ton of supplier and tooling issues over the last 6 years but we are finally sending out the first batch of the best 69 grain BTHP you can buy.  Unfortunately, to get this machine to make a perfect bullet, we have to run it slower.  This means that these bullets will be difficult to keep in stock until we get sane human beings in Washington DC.  Don’t worry, it looks like we finally have a product we are proud of and want to keep making every day.  Thanks for your patience!

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WholeBunches] [#27]
Originally Posted By DisplacedBuckeye:

I'm in Pensacola.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DisplacedBuckeye:
Originally Posted By WholeBunches:

I'm in Pensacola.

Hi Displaced

Am sending you an email with contact info.  They are yours!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Well.... I just ordered 1k of these from RMR.
I’ll eventually get around to working them up and get back to you guys. I’ll try them with XBR first and some Wolf primers.

ZA
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Hey Kaldor.... can you tell me about your gun/barrel you did that workup on?

Thanks.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Bumping again for more feedback on these. I just took the leap and ordered 1k. I have CFE 223, TAC, and W760 on hand to try them out with.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
They look longer like the 68gr Hornady match.  From what I've experienced, the Hornady are a little harder to get a good powder/weight combo for than the Sierra 69gr.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT] [#32]
I ordered a couple thousand to try with 8208 and TAC.  If i can get these to group out of my 12” AR, especially with TAC I will order a bunch more.  At <15 cents they can be loaded at damn near plinking ammo prices and might replace the 62gr hornady’s I was working up for bulk loading.

-Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad to see that there are others interested in these as well. I'm very interested to hear about what kind of loads you work up. I'll definitely report back once I get a chance to try them.

My hope with these is that I'll be able to get a load capable of ~1moa for ~30cpr that is capable of hitting steel targets out to around 600yd or so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Got out this morning and tried a few of these. Bad news: 1) I forgot my bipod so had to use my rear bag on the front and didn't have a super steady setup with the stock in my shoulder and 2) I ran out of good targets and was lucky I even had this. Groups are marked in sequential order from lowest charge to highest

On groups 2 and 3 I pulled both those flyer shots, once an elbow slipped and the other I just jerked. Knew it the second I pulled the trigger on both, but what can you do.

I'll load another 10 rounds each of 24.7gr and 25.0gr and see how they do from a real bench setup. Was hoping for a little more velocity, so might try another go at 25.3-5 just for kicks. Note: the 25.9gr charge is above book max, use at your own risk.

Details:
18" Criterion bbl
1.5-8x optic
CFE223
Federal AR Small Rifle Match
Mixed 1x fired brass trimmed to 1.750"
Coal 2.235"
One daughter taking a break from Easter candy consumption to watch me shoot 30 rounds, then taking a hike through the woods and playing fairies (in my defense I self-identified as an orc )

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Buddy of mine sent me a couple of pics of these fired behind 24.2gr Varget.
Don't know many other details (he's on vacation this week and randomly responding to my texts)

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Received my order of these yesterday and hope to try some out on the weekend. Will be trying TAC and CFE 223 as that's what I have. I have way more CFE on hand right now so if anyone has suggestions on this combo let me know.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I’m made a quad load work up with these bullets and XBR & TAC with Wolf primers. Using two 1:8 rifles... a 16” LaRue Stealth and a 16” Lothar Walther LW50.

When I shoot this, I’ll post up results. The goal is to see if I can find a really good common load for both rifles.

I’ve got like 20 lbs of TAC, so I really hope I get a great one with that powder!!

I might be able to get out on Saturday morning and get this done. We will see.

ZA
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm waiting on 1k I ordered, will be trying them over TAC, Varget, and XBR.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
I’m made a quad load work up with these bullets and XBR & TAC with Wolf primers. Using two 1:8 rifles... a 16” LaRue Stealth and a 16” Lothar Walther LW50.

When I shoot this, I’ll post up results. The goal is to see if I can find a really good common load for both rifles.

I’ve got like 20 lbs of TAC, so I really hope I get a great one with that powder!!

ZA
View Quote

Yes, please let us know how that goes. I'm very interested in the results with TAC.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Thanks.

-ZA
View All Quotes

Thanks.

-ZA

24" Criterion 8 twist, standard gas block, standard rifle buffer, Aero upper and lower, Hi Speed NM trigger  
CCI 400 primers
Mixed year LC cases
IMR 8208 XBR
COAL 2.255
.078 off lands

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ctres94:

Yes, please let us know how that goes. I'm very interested in the results with TAC.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ctres94:

ZA

+1

I’ll probably be ordering some of these in the future.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZA206] [#42]
Here are my results from today. Promising, but not anything special at this point. I don’t think I had my best stuff today, as I seemed to get eye fatigue and towards the end felt a little rushed. I also was having issues with my bench as it has a very slick top and my bag was sliding all over the place, but I think I got that squared away about midway through the first set of TAC loads  with the LW50 rifle.

I did not chrono this work, but will chrono future development and seating depth tests.

Here are the work ups:
69 grn RMR
XBR (23.1, 23.4, 23.7, 24.0, 24.3, 24.6, 24.9)
Wolf primer + LC brass
COL = 2.25"

69 grn RMR
TAC  (23.2, 23.5, 23.8, 24.1, 24.4, 24.7, 25.0)
Wolf primer + LC brass
COL = 2.25"

First set with TAC & the LW50
Attachment Attached File

Fourth set with TAC & the LaRue
Attachment Attached File

Second set with XBR and the LW50
Attachment Attached File

Third set with XBR and the LaRue
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Observations....

24.7 and 25.0 of TAC had very similar patterns in both rifles...
On the XBR set, the 24.0 looks similar with little horizontal spread, but vertical stringing.

Please give me your observations/insight on these groups. I’d like to try some seating depth trials, but need one or two charges to try.

This is the first time I’ve shot for groups in years, so I was feeling a little rusty, I’m sure a lot of you guys could do better.

Thanks

ZA
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the info I haven't got to play with any yet myself. Just thinking out loud it would be nice if someone had some Sierra 69's and was able to shoot each together to see an actual comparison between the 2 bullets. It's going to be awhile until I can start messing with these but once I can maybe I'll try doing it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#45]
ZA, thanks for posting your results. I'm not seeing any clear pattern here, but maybe someone more experienced can spot something.

I have some nosler 69s loaded up that I plan to compare. I've never shot them before though so I don't know how they will do. I'll probably load up the RMRs exactly the same for the sake of comparison.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are my results from today. Promising, but not anything special at this point. I don’t think I had my best stuff today, as I seemed to get eye fatigue and towards the end felt a little rushed. I also was having issues with my bench as it has a very slick top and my bag was sliding all over the place, but I think I got that squared away about midway through the first set of TAC loads  with the LW50 rifle.

I did not chrono this work, but will chrono future development and seating depth tests.

Here are the work ups:
69 grn RMR
XBR (23.1, 23.4, 23.7, 24.0, 24.3, 24.6, 24.9)
Wolf primer + LC brass
COL = 2.25"

69 grn RMR
TAC  (23.2, 23.5, 23.8, 24.1, 24.4, 24.7, 25.0)
Wolf primer + LC brass
COL = 2.25"

First set with TAC & the LW50
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114221/79FA7B03-E2E3-402B-A73C-E0033EFCF2AF_jpe-1908587.JPG

Fourth set with TAC & the LaRue
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114221/6E7F36C9-AC74-4490-90DD-677888CFA053_jpe-1908590.JPG

Second set with XBR and the LW50
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114221/10F83235-C8A4-4644-9A12-5468B13766BA_jpe-1908591.JPG

Third set with XBR and the LaRue
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/114221/95E2BE8E-600C-447D-BEA2-89966A88DFBE_jpe-1908593.JPG

View Quote

I would say your 24.7 group with Tac and your 24.6 group with 8208 look about the best.  Horizontal dispersion alot of times is the shooter if the SDs are good.  Id load 5 more and test both of those.  
Also, what what brass are you using?  Using matched manufacturer brass is mandatory if you want small groups.  For example, Im just using mixed year LC, which has its ups and downs, but its decently consistent from year to year, and I anneal, and mandrel size all necks for consistency.  But if youre using a Heinz 57 of 3 different kinds of brass it only makes your job harder as neck tensions will all be different, and case capacities can vary wildy.

Here were the specifics on my rifle:
24" Criterion 8 twist, standard gas block, standard rifle buffer, Aero upper and lower, Hi Speed NM trigger  
CCI 400 primers
Mixed year LC cases
IMR 8208 XBR
COAL 2.255
.078 off lands

I did check my chrono data, and the shot that effed off and didnt group had a wierd velocity number, hence the bad SD overall, and the flier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#47]

I would say your 24.7 group with Tac and your 24.6 group with 8208 look about the best.  Horizontal dispersion alot of times is the shooter if the SDs are good.  Id load 5 more and test both of those.  
Also, what what brass are you using?  Using matched manufacturer brass is mandatory if you want small groups.  For example, Im just using mixed year LC, which has its ups and downs, but its decently consistent from year to year, and I anneal, and mandrel size all necks for consistency.  But if youre using a Heinz 57 of 3 different kinds of brass it only makes your job harder as neck tensions will all be different, and case capacities can vary wildy.

Here were the specifics on my rifle:
CCI 400 primers
Mixed year LC cases
IMR 8208 XBR
COAL 2.255
.078 off lands

I did check my chrono data, and the shot that effed off and didnt group had a wierd velocity number, hence the bad SD overall, and the flier.
View Quote

I'm using all Lake City brass.... mostly 2008, 2009 & 2010 IIRC. I believe it was all once fired, but I can't be 100% sure.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#48]
BTW... I just bought a new scope & mount, as the one I was using for both rifles was a cheapo old Primary Arms that had a really tight eyebox at 14X. The scope adjustments on that one seemed a little questionable when I was adjusting it. I had to get off the gun frequently due to eye strain (shoot righty, but left eye dominant)

The new scope should help... it's a Japanese made with Japanese ED glass and 34 mm tube and is a 6-24x. We will see.

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#49]
BTW... I just bought a new scope & mount, as the one I was using for both rifles was a cheapo old Primary Arms that had a really tight eyebox at 14X. The scope adjustments on that one seemed a little questionable when I was adjusting it. I had to get off the gun frequently due to eye strain (shoot righty, but left eye dominant)

The new scope should help... it's a Japanese made with Japanese ED glass and 34 mm tube and is a 6-24x. We will see.

-ZA
View Quote

I hear you there, anything inside of 3 feet, I need reading glasses anymore.  I run my old Viper SFP 6-24.  It has good eyeboxes, and it still gets it done out past 500, but the reticle is awful as its just a crosshair.  I did recently buy one the Strike Eagle 5-25's to put on my 6 Grendel and the eyebox is decent, glass is about 95% of what my PST Gen2's are, but the turrets are a little mushy.  Time will tell on that one as Ive seen alot of reports that they tend to break.  I should put it on my AR10 and run it thru the wringer and see if I can break it.  :)

Sounds like you are on point for brass.  Unknown number of firings can hurt you, but unless its more than 4 I doubt your neck tension is off that much.  Before I started annealing I was having major neck tension issues, as in bullets dropping into cases while reloading due to work hardening and major spring back on the brass after sizing, but some of these case were 6+ reloads.   Even still, It might be worth your while for testing purposes to pull out 5-10 cases with all the same year stamp and give them a run to see what you get.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Very windy this morning but this was my chance to shoot this week so I took it. Shot the nearby steel target a few times, thus the spall marks in the photos.

I shot the 24.7,25.0 and 25.3gr loads again a couple weeks ago and didn't feel conclusive between the two higher charges so I ran them back today.

Same load info as above wrt primer, brass, OAL, etc. I was sort of hoping for a little more velocity but still think I'll stick with the 25.3gr charge of CFE223 for now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top