Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:44:30 PM EDT
The followers in the PRI 6.8SPC magazines leave something to be desired.   I am grateful PRI ponied up to build 6.8SPC magazine bodies, and the majority of my 6.8SPC mags work fine to the extent I've tested them, which isn't much still being in the load development phase.  

I had one 15 round magazine in which the follower kept hanging up in the last inch of upward travel.    Upon disassembly, it became clear that the follower - made of thin pliable sheet metal - was bent and had burrs, so I set out to see if I could modify a Magpul follower to fit.

The PRI 6.8SPC followers:
[ link to larger image ]
[ link to larger image ]
[ link to larger image ]

Modification to sides of Magpul follower to make it fit in the magazine:
EDIT: SEE LATER POST FOR NEW & BETTER PICTURES

Assembled:
[ link to larger image ]

I have not had a chance to test-fire yet, but the magazine loaded to 15 rounds (the proper capacity for this mag) with no obvious problems, and the rounds fed seemingly OK.

[ link to larger image ]
[ link to larger image ]

BTW- Spring is a 30 round spring cut to 13 coils.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Great post, and excellent idea!

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice post, Zak.

Let us know how it goes.  I am betting they will run fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the red followers are supposed to be very tight,
whereas the coyote brown are more of a loose fit. Maybe
they would have been a better choice?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Cato,

I thought of that, but I had a bunch of the extra "competition" followers in my box of parts.  No sense in possibly ruining a perfectly decent CB follower.  The internal dimensions of the 6.8 mags are larger, so it ought to be less of a problem.

-z
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I WANT 6.8

hurry up industry

let us know how it works zak,

oh BTW zak...

what twist is your PRI barrel?  1x9.5?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Uhh...   I'd have to ask Wes or Paul.

-z
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Uhh...   I'd have to ask Wes or Paul.

-z

Zak, they are 1X10 for the Douglas. IIRC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
so zak.... how did they turn out?  haven't heard anything from you!  :-)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I was demoing a bunch of AR's for a guy this weekend and I forgot to throw that mag in the car.  Damnit!  Will try to get it tested by next Monday.

-z

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
hehe... i'll wait to hear from ya
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Tested today.   Both* modified followers worked perfectly, loading to magazine capacity (15 and 25 round).  I only had sunlight to run one or two mags through each magazine.

In this series of pictures, from left to right:

#1- unmodified follower

#2- follower side profile modified to drop into magazine

#3- #2 plus lowering the 1st round shelf so the height increment from  round #1 to round #2 is similar to the PRI followers.

[ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]

I made modification #3 when I noticed that when I loaded 8 or more rounds with #2, it rattled.  The rattling was round #2, because it was not touching the follower.   #3 doesn't rattle as much.

With the limited testing I did, the follower height (#2 vs #3) didn't make a difference.

[ link to LARGER image ]

Since #2 worked just as well as #3, I'll be using modified followers of the #2 type until we get something better.

-z

ETA: gun config was a MSTN/PRI 18" w/ midlength gas.  JP SS bolt carrier, carbine stock. Loads were 110gr at about 2560fps.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Great info as usual Zak!!

One question, Why did you have to cut the side support from picture #1 to #2 (The second leg that rides against the side of the magazine)  From your fianl photo, looks like there is plenty of room for it to remain?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The floorplate retaining tabs on the bottom of the mag differ on the PRI mags vs. USGI mags.   The second side supports physically conflict with the forward retaining tabs on the PRI mags.

-z
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The floorplate retaining tabs on the bottom of the mag differ on the PRI mags vs. USGI mags.   The second side supports physically conflict with the forward retaining tabs on the PRI mags.

-z

Arent they (PRI) sheet metal? (Bend them straight then back after the follower is in?)

I thought the extra set of ribbing was to help guide the follower straight through it's entire range of travel.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Arent they (PRI) sheet metal? (Bend them straight then back after the follower is in?)

I thought the extra set of ribbing was to help guide the follower straight through it's entire range of travel.

And then to remove for cleaning?  I don't want to have to bend metal each time I break the mags down.

The extra ribbing isn't really required.  The four corners and the length of the follower ensure smooth tilt-free movement.

-z

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks..(For the extra brass too!!!)

I have some access to some of those red followers I can try on...

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Zak, I hear the 15 round mags are not as reliable, is this true? I think I'll get 25s.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks..(For the extra brass too!!!)
I have some access to some of those red followers I can try on...

The easiest way is to use a "coarse" sanding wheel on a dremel tool on "low" speed.  Lock the dremel in place with a vice and hold the follower in your hands.  It's real easy - I didn't even screw the first one up!

-z
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Zak, I hear the 15 round mags are not as reliable, is this true? I think I'll get 25s.

My sample size is low and I haven't fired more than a couple hundred rounds through these mags.   That said, I haven't had any problems with the 15 round mags -- I used springs from 30-round USGI mags cut down to about 13 coils, so they actually have more spring pressure than the 25 round mags using springs from 30rnd USGI mags.

I actually much prefer the 15 round size.  It's way more handy than the 25rnders.   I'll probably end up with 2-3x more 15's than  25's.    'Coarse, this is for general purpose use, not military house clearing.

-z
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#20]
tagged
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top