BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I use windex plus soapy water followed by clear water and then I clean it like any other weapon. The clear water is going to be replaced by distilled water for the final rinse due to the hardness of the water here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
When ever ive used corrosive ammo I simply submerge the rifle in the tub with warm water and soap and let it soak for 20 minutes then dry it out and clan it with bore cleaner and lube..never had a problem or a pit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Guys:

It has been a LONG time since my organic chemistry classes, but I think you can skip the Windex/ammonia portion of your cleaning routine. Rust is caused by the hydrophilic salt residue created by the primer compound. Those corrosive salts are neutralized by water. The Windex works because it's primarily water. If the added ammonia has any value, I suppose it assists as a cleaner of the carbon based residue of the combustion process. I think you would be better served by using plain soapy water.

I use hot water and Simple Green. If I'm out of Simple Green, I will use plain old Dishwashing Soap, like Dawn or Joy with very hot Water and it works just as good.
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]

before the development of non-corrosive primers every gun owner in the US used corrosive primer ammo. It was no problem as long as you promptly cleaned your gun with hot soapy water, and then Hoppes #9 (the real stuff) and oiled the metal parts---no big deal.
If you were a Cretan and did not clean your gun two things happened;

1. you rusted good investment by being careless, or
  2. you lost your weekend pass

there were no magic fluids in those days---other than JD No. 5
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Windex is alkaline--that is what neutralizes the corrosive salt residue from the BAD primer. Hot soapy water does a thorough job of washing those salts from the gun.
The old Army solvent was designed to neutralize the primer salts---good stuff if you can find it.
The Russian double compartment bottles were for oil in one side and an alkaline solution in the other side. Every Russian Ivan carried those.
ever wonder why so many Mosin Nagants sold in the US today look good?

Just listen to what Sarge taught you---"this is my rifle, this is my gun"---keep it clean and it will keep you alive.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top