Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2024 3:46:21 PM EDT
I am in the process of building my first AK. The tools are just soo expensive that I am trying to build them myself but the results are not great. Does anybody have like blueprints drawing with some specs that i could copy. What size endmill for Rivits to make that perfect round head. How deep do you drill the rivit punches? Any help would be appreciated I just installed the Center support rivit and does not look so well.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy once cry once.   Get the right tools for the job.  Hope you plan to build more than just 1 or the price isn't worth it.  Probably would take 3 or 4 to come out even maybe more with the price of parts kits.  Just get yourself a psa and have done with it.  Maybe a barreled receiver.  Ak builder or tothtool for tools to build it.  Would also need a spot welder for the rails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Endmill to make rivets? Use a lathe. It's the proper tool.

I haven't found prints but lot wof photos around you can copy off of. I often just figure out what I need and machine a tool for it. I needed to set Galil trigger guard rivets so I made a block with rivet supports cut with a ball end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Endmill to make rivets? Use a lathe. It's the proper tool.
View Quote

I think he means what size ball endmill to divot a support plate for the head of the rivet itself. But could be wrong.

OP, you're going to have to go back probably a decade or more in searches on various forums to find a lot more specifics to building tooling. Seems to have fallen mostly out of favor now that AK-Builder, AKMACHINIST, Obstreperous, RForbus, Toth Tool, Requiem, Recreator, etc. are around and provide well built tools.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

I think he means what size ball endmill to divot a support plate for the head of the rivet itself. But could be wrong.

OP, you're going to have to go back probably a decade or more in searches on various forums to find a lot more specifics to building tooling. Seems to have fallen mostly out of favor now that AK-Builder, AKMACHINIST, Obstreperous, RForbus, Toth Tool, Requiem, Recreator, etc. are around and provide well built tools.
View Quote

Yup. I built my first AK in 1999. Had to make all the tools myself and I still use them occasionally except the bolt cutter rivet crusher, it finally broke. The new tools by Toth and AK Builder are great. I use the Toth bolt cutter jaws, the AK builder trigger guard rivet jig and the AK Builder FCG drill guide. I watched a lot of YouTube vids on how to make the different tools back then.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

View Quote

+1 for Robert Forbus, amazing machinist and all-around awesome guy, very active in the 2A community in general.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nhoj] [#6]
Search “plinker 762 jig” online.
His AK rivet fixture was copied by several enterprising individuals.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OP makes 1 post and almost a month later not even to respond to the post again LOL
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top