Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/6/2024 3:46:21 PM EDT
I am in the process of building my first AK. The tools are just soo expensive that I am trying to build them myself but the results are not great. Does anybody have like blueprints drawing with some specs that i could copy. What size endmill for Rivits to make that perfect round head. How deep do you drill the rivit punches? Any help would be appreciated I just installed the Center support rivit and does not look so well.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy once cry once.   Get the right tools for the job.  Hope you plan to build more than just 1 or the price isn't worth it.  Probably would take 3 or 4 to come out even maybe more with the price of parts kits.  Just get yourself a psa and have done with it.  Maybe a barreled receiver.  Ak builder or tothtool for tools to build it.  Would also need a spot welder for the rails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Endmill to make rivets? Use a lathe. It's the proper tool.

I haven't found prints but lot wof photos around you can copy off of. I often just figure out what I need and machine a tool for it. I needed to set Galil trigger guard rivets so I made a block with rivet supports cut with a ball end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Endmill to make rivets? Use a lathe. It's the proper tool.
View Quote

I think he means what size ball endmill to divot a support plate for the head of the rivet itself. But could be wrong.

OP, you're going to have to go back probably a decade or more in searches on various forums to find a lot more specifics to building tooling. Seems to have fallen mostly out of favor now that AK-Builder, AKMACHINIST, Obstreperous, RForbus, Toth Tool, Requiem, Recreator, etc. are around and provide well built tools.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

I think he means what size ball endmill to divot a support plate for the head of the rivet itself. But could be wrong.

OP, you're going to have to go back probably a decade or more in searches on various forums to find a lot more specifics to building tooling. Seems to have fallen mostly out of favor now that AK-Builder, AKMACHINIST, Obstreperous, RForbus, Toth Tool, Requiem, Recreator, etc. are around and provide well built tools.
View Quote

Yup. I built my first AK in 1999. Had to make all the tools myself and I still use them occasionally except the bolt cutter rivet crusher, it finally broke. The new tools by Toth and AK Builder are great. I use the Toth bolt cutter jaws, the AK builder trigger guard rivet jig and the AK Builder FCG drill guide. I watched a lot of YouTube vids on how to make the different tools back then.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

View Quote

+1 for Robert Forbus, amazing machinist and all-around awesome guy, very active in the 2A community in general.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nhoj] [#6]
Search “plinker 762 jig” online.
His AK rivet fixture was copied by several enterprising individuals.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OP makes 1 post and almost a month later not even to respond to the post again LOL
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top