User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Daniel's Defense 7.0 and was wondering if the upper/barrel needs to be head spaced during or after it's (being) installed??

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've got a Daniel's Defense 7.0 and was wondering if the upper/barrel needs to be head spaced during or after it's (being) installed??

TS

In short.... if all you are doing is installing the DD on an assembled rifle, using the same bolt/barrel as before, then there is absolutely no reason to concern yourself with headspace, because it is not affected by changing such things.
Link Posted: 1/25/2005 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In short.... if all you are doing is installing the DD on an assembled rifle, using the same bolt/barrel as before, then there is absolutely no reason to concern yourself with headspace, because it is not affected by changing such things.

I didn't think so, but it never hurts to be sure... Thanks!

TS
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Great info here! I was going to order a 16" ss bbl with a mid-length low pro gas block and phantom fh installed, would that fit under a 12" LaRue ff tube? or would I still have to remove them to get the tube on? The barrel comes with a matched bolt so does it get headspaced at the factory? I'm gearing up for my first build and I'm definately going to budget for the proper tools. Thanks for all the super helpful info!
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so Im shopping for my 16" bushy and since im in college I am very limited to tools.  I have a garage but dont have the money or tabletop for a vice.  That is why the Troy setup appeals to me.  It is a free float correct? I want a rail system that wouldnt affect the accuracy I will mainly be mounting a light/tactical grip and maybe a bipod.  I want something rock solid and very well made.  I could take whatever I buy and have a gunsmith do it in town but that costs $50-100 depending and 2 weeks.  Is the Troy a well made piece and is it rock solid?  In my case the simpler the better but I dont want it if it isnt good.  Also I am looking at flip up sights. Would I be better off getting a rail mounted one with the troy or stick to the barrel mounted? Or hold off until I get optics and then get flip ups since they are my primary sights?  This is a great thread I learned alot and never even knew the Troy exsisted that was that easy to put on. Thanks hippie.gif
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok so Im shopping for my 16" bushy and since im in college I am very limited to tools.  I have a garage but dont have the money or tabletop for a vice.  That is why the Troy setup appeals to me.  It is a free float correct?

Yes.

I want a rail system that wouldnt affect the accuracy I will mainly be mounting a light/tactical grip and maybe a bipod.  I want something rock solid and very well made.  I could take whatever I buy and have a gunsmith do it in town but that costs $50-100 depending and 2 weeks.  Is the Troy a well made piece and is it rock solid?

Yes, and yes.

In my case the simpler the better but I dont want it if it isnt good.  Also I am looking at flip up sights. Would I be better off getting a rail mounted one with the troy or stick to the barrel mounted? Or hold off until I get optics and then get flip ups since they are my primary sights?  This is a great thread I learned alot and never even knew the Troy exsisted that was that easy to put on. Thanks

It's a tossup.  If irons will be your primary sights go with barrel mounted.  Then, if/when you upgrade to optics... let those optics determine what kind of front sight best suits you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Would I be able have an accurate laser in the future on the Troy system? Or is it not a good idea to mount it on this rail system?  Is the surefire setup better or worse in any ways? How about install of a surefire have you ever done one? or should I just go with Troy and be done? sorry for all the questions but Im limited on cash and want to make the right choice.  THanks for all the helpheart.gif
Link Posted: 2/2/2005 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, here's a slightly different question.  How do I remove my Larue 7.0?  I'm trying to swap my purple one, for the new black one.  

I've remove the FSB and tube.  Removed the anti-roll screws.  The keeper is still on the upper.  Now I cant get the ring thing behind the rail to budge.  Using a strap wrench and it wont move.  There doesnt appear to be a lot of room for it to spin though. Am i doing it right?

Link Posted: 2/3/2005 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, here's a slightly different question.  How do I remove my Larue 7.0?  I'm trying to swap my purple one, for the new black one.  

I've remove the FSB and tube.  Removed the anti-roll screws.  The keeper is still on the upper.  Now I cant get the ring thing behind the rail to budge.  Using a strap wrench and it wont move.  There doesnt appear to be a lot of room for it to spin though. Am i doing it right?

Correct. You need to spin the collar/keeper off the tube with a strap wrench. Make sure you are trying to spin it off in the correct direction. I am assuming you are using a bench vise and action block.
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct. You need to spin the collar/keeper off the tube with a strap wrench. Make sure you are trying to spin it off in the correct direction. I am assuming you are using a bench vise and action block.

Got it off.  I wasnt using a vise at the time.  Had my friend holding it
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello, I just installed the troy system with no problems at all, following FALARAKS generous instructions. My troy appears to be new, as I have a couple of parts that were not included in the Troy that Falarak used to make the post. The two parts are a little spring and a silver part which I will photograph as soon as I get home. If anyone knows where to put the two parts please help me, I tried to drop it in a hole  right next to the small and only allen screw that secures the bottom troy part in place, but could not drop it in completely.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody else have a problem with the DPMS wrench on the LaRue system??

I hate to buy another wrench.....especially when I thought the DPMS was the "one" to get.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anybody else have a problem with the DPMS wrench on the LaRue system??

I hate to buy another wrench.....especially when I thought the DPMS was the "one" to get.

This was quoted in the Larue FF install from midway on page 1.

3. Add a small amount of moly grease to the receiver threads, and tighten the barrel nut to spec, aligning the gas tube holes correctly. I have to admit, my DPMS armorers wrench would not install this barrel nut. It just would not fit. I switched to my YHM free float wrench, and it worked like a charm. I can only say that the DPMS wrench is slightly out of spec.... YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#17]
moo
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top