BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, I have a question.

I have a 10.5 upper that I am running an H buffer in the tube. It runs flawless with XM193. It is kind of hit and miss with Wolf. Wolf doesn't seem to have enough ooommph to completely cycle the action. I don't want to waste the XM and would much rather use the Wolf for plinking. Do you think switching to a 9mm buffer would help since it slows things down a little?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
That makes no sense.  If you have INSUFFICIENT gas pressure and/or TOO MUCH mass, then the action will fail to cycle completely.   Increase the amount of gas, or decrease the amount of reciprocating mass so the BCG will have a better chance of cycling fully to the rear.

-z
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
So your saying go with a lighter buffer? Instead of the H, try a carbine buffer?
Sounds logical.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Okay, I have a question.

I have a 10.5 upper that I am running an H buffer in the tube. It runs flawless with XM193. It is kind of hit and miss with Wolf. Wolf doesn't seem to have enough ooommph to completely cycle the action. I don't want to waste the XM and would much rather use the Wolf for plinking. Do you think switching to a 9mm buffer would help since it slows things down a little?

O agree with ZAK.  Here is an example where you DO NOT want more weight, you want less weight.  I would run the regular CAR buffer here, and if that didnt work, check the front sight alignment, to make sure you are getting all the gas you can.

And if that doesn't work...........

Buy a 10.5" upper from MSTN.    Heh Heh Heh.

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stainless

I did, It's an LMT. Can't go wrong with MSTN!

Part of the problem may be that I'm using a Young MFG NM full circle carrier.
As I said, it runs perfect w/XM193, I may give a carbine buffer a try when plinking w/Wolf.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stainless

I did, It's an LMT. Can't go wrong with MSTN!

Part of the problem may be that I'm using a Young MFG NM full circle carrier.
As I said, it runs perfect w/XM193, I may give a carbine buffer a try when plinking w/Wolf.

the one thing i remember Wes saying, OVER and over... is that, basically, you NEED to shoot brass cased, mil spec ammo, to get reliability.

and that is if you shoot "garbage", don't expect much.

well, me personally, i am a wolf fan, i love the stuff.

S
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
With the two-piece tungsten 9mm buffers, would it be an improvement to drill out the hole (on the right in the photo) to accept a larger pin so it would work as a one-piece unit for use in 5.56 rifles?

I was wondering because a friend of mine that shoots high-power adds rubber washers to his buffer (made from bicycle innertube), to remove any extra movement.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, I just recieved my 9mm buffer from adco, it looks just like this one;

When I went to install it, I find that my spring is very tight on it because there is no stepdown on the buffer like there is on my H buffer. Do I need a different spring? I'm afraid that this one will bind up on the buffer during recoil.

Thanks.

ETA: see the satndard "H" buffer has a stepdown which allows the spring to compress on the buffer body freely.

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine looks and cycles fine.  Still need to range test it though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How did the spring fit?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Had the same buffer spring problem, wouldn't fit inside the spring.  Thought I woudl have to buy a 9mm buffer spring but I had a extra buffer spring in the parts box that didn't have the step down coils. If your buffer won't go in smooth just order a 9mm spring for $8.  fyi 9mm buffer rocks and have had no problems, even with wolf ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Had the same buffer spring problem, wouldn't fit inside the spring.  Thought I woudl have to buy a 9mm buffer spring but I had a extra buffer spring in the parts box that didn't have the step down coils. If your buffer won't go in smooth just order a 9mm spring for $8.  fyi 9mm buffer rocks and have had no problems, even with wolf ammo.  

Well it goes in all the way, it's just snug all the way down, I was afraid it would bind up when compressed. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did the spring fit?

Fit fine for me, it's an VLTOR spring that came with my clubfoot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I had tight spring probs as well, where can I find this "9mm" spring you speak of? Thanx in advance
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I guess I should have checked function right away, but I didn't, good thing I took my H-buffer with me to the range.

I couldn't even get the bolt pulled back far enough to engage the BHO, the spring binds up.

I guess I need to find a new spring.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I played with my H2 and 9mm Tungstien buffer yesterday.

Both worked.

I was using a CMMG Chrome Sillicon CAR spring.  The Steel 9mm Buffer was a bit tight but the spring went fully on and off so that spring might work for you.

I though I might have this "tightness" problem with my tungsten buffer, but I was able to get things running smoothly with just a generous amount of FP-10 and on the buffer (this was in a Magpul stock).  I haven't had any trouble with it, but I do have < 500 rds on this particular set up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
HMM I don't know what my spring is, it came with my H-buffer and the LMT or VLTOR buffer Tube (Lower extension) that I got from G&R.

ETA: where do I find this mysterious "9mm" spring? I can't find anything listed like that anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#20]
MudBug,

Try grabbing your spring in both hands and rotating your hands in opposite directions. Keep your hands about 4" apart and try to uncoil the spring slightly. Make sure your turning it in the direction that makes the coils want to unwind. This may get you enough clearance to keep from binding on your buffer. You may not be able to gain any diameter at the first coil on the spring, but this won't matter as this part of the spring rides high on the buffer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I used a pair of pliers to get the spring around the 9mm buffer.  Works great now.  I can't believe the difference this has on my AR.  I think I maybe getting 9mm buffers for all my carbines.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag so I can read later
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tip!  I just ordered a H2 from Grant...
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
MudBug,

Try grabbing your spring in both hands and rotating your hands in opposite directions. Keep your hands about 4" apart and try to uncoil the spring slightly. Make sure your turning it in the direction that makes the coils want to unwind. This may get you enough clearance to keep from binding on your buffer. You may not be able to gain any diameter at the first coil on the spring, but this won't matter as this part of the spring rides high on the buffer.

I'm not even going to try this, not because it isn't a good idea, but because the only Spring mentioned in this thread I could find was that Uber CMMG chrome plated, silicone impregnated, Master-Blaster Spring for 20 damn dollars. Being impatient like I am I ordered one of those. So there is now way I'm going to try your idea just to find out I wasted $20 on 1 more uselessly overpriced AR add-on.

Shit, maybe I will, I guess I can still cancel the order.....GRRRRR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope didn't work.

I took a couple pics just incase others aren't understanding my problem.

Here is the way the spring works on my standard "H" Buffer, notice that the spring compresses up the length of the buffer.

And here is what's happening with the 9mm Buffer, note that it will not compress over the buffer, this makes the whole package too long in the Buffer Tube, so the carrier will not go back far enough.

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope your new spring works out.

I had the same problem back when I put a 9mm buffer in my gun.
Fixed it the way I described to you and hasn't given me any problems since.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I had tight spring probs as well, where can I find this "9mm" spring you speak of? Thanx in advance

I think pete at ar15sales has 9mm springs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't bother hunting for the elusive "9mm" buffer spring guys. I went with thezman's suggestion and it took all of 5 minutes to get the spring to fit correctly. I suggest you leave the buffer in one end, grip spring with both hands and undwind slightly (wear some gloves and it's really easy). Then place buffer in opposite end and repeat. Works great now. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Don't bother hunting for the elusive "9mm" buffer spring guys. I went with thezman's suggestion and it took all of 5 minutes to get the spring to fit correctly. I suggest you leave the buffer in one end, grip spring with both hands and undwind slightly (wear some gloves and it's really easy). Then place buffer in opposite end and repeat. Works great now. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Yes ! this works don't be shy twist that spring Buffer spring issues
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Well maybe I didn't try hard enough, but it just really didn't seem like it wanted to open up at all. No problem though, I found a 9mm spring locally.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]
TAG
Ordered one from ADCO. Will try it out to see how it works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#33]
PICS PICS PICS
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#36]
tag, I can't wait to try this
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of the MGI RRB(Rate/Recoil Reducing Buffer)

www.mgimilitary.com/images/buffer.jpg

It was originally designed as part of the famous Counterpoise System, by Mack Gwinn(MGI) and Jim Sullivan(co-designer of the AR15).

It has been on the market for over 5 years now, with an exemplary reliability and performance record. Got an excellent review in Small Arms Review a while back, and also got a good writeup in Special Weapons for Law Enforcement recently. Alot of the guys in competition and on the "AR variants" section of the forum use these with great success on various calibers too.

It is available in either Carbine length version, or Rifle length version. Same price.

How reliable is this compared to the Tungsten buffer?  I'd be interested to know how durable the moving parts are or if they wear out or break easily and cause malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#38]
TAG
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#39]
twl,

Is the MGI buffer in fact the same as the original counterpoise unit?

www.ccfa.com/ColtCounterpoise.htm
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Darn Adco is out of stock!  Something tells me this thread is to blame.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Try Rock river arms, I got one through there.

Rock river arms 9mm buffer

S
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try Rock river arms, I got one through there.

Rock river arms 9mm buffer

S

I just finished placing an order direct from RRA.  9mm buffer inbound!  Awesome.  Can't wait to install n' shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#44]
twl,

Standard carbine buffers are stepped, so the buffer spring holds on to the top of the buffer, but is free to move around the body of it in use.  Some members here have reported problems with using a standard buffer spring with the tungsten 9mm buffer, as it binds on the body of it (no step, full diameter from top to bottom).  

Is the MGI able to use standard buffer springs, that will slide freely on the body of the buffer?  I can't tell the size of the buffer from the photo, but there is no step on it.  So either the spring can move freely (and the spring can't friction fit itself to the top of the buffer) or the spring is tight on the entire length of the buffer like the tungsten 9mm buffers.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:17:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Great, now I've stumbled upon another way to pump a few more dollars into my ARs.

After reading through this whole thread, I would like to verify something. I won't run into any problem running a 9mm buffer in my 20" AR w/collapsible stock, correct?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Great, now I've stumbled upon another way to pump a few more dollars into my ARs.

After reading through this whole thread, I would like to verify something. I won't run into any problem running a 9mm buffer in my 20" AR w/collapsible stock, correct?

I put the 9mm buffer in the collapsible stock on my 20" ar-15 and have not had any problems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I put the 9mm buffer in the collapsible stock on my 20" ar-15 and have not had any problems.

That's what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:36:43 AM EDT
[#48]
twl,

The original Counterpoisesystem came with a drill bit to enlarge the gas port. Why was more gas needed? Was it due to the weight in the carrier or was it required by the adjustable gas tube? Does the new system require the gas port to be enlarged?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought a Colt 9mm Buffer from Brownell's for $24.90.
I am going to try it in my MRP 14.5 this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top