Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Which mount should be used on a flattop that has a front sight and no BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
either would be fine.  Just don't try lining up the dot on top of the front sight post or you will either drive yourself nuts for no reason or put a kink in your neck.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they better or same quality as the tacpoints?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I think better.  Tacpoints fogged easily and there's the whole blue ring and writing thing
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
ordered one for my ar pistol since it was strictly a fun gun.

first "clone" i have ever owned and have to say that i like the better things in life. the sight is probably worth its cost which isnt much and the mount needs to be cranked down in order for it to keep from shifting.

not impressed as some of the others that speak so highly of this fake aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ordered one for my ar pistol since it was strictly a fun gun.

first "clone" i have ever owned and have to say that i like the better things in life. the sight is probably worth its cost which isnt much and the mount needs to be cranked down in order for it to keep from shifting.

not impressed as some of the others that speak so highly of this fake aimpoint.

Good enough for a 10/22?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine today and it is a nice optic for $75, its all metal construction makes me believe that it will hold up reasonably well for the money. The red dot is nice and bright even at high noon, and the brightness adjustment has a nice feel to it. The only thing that scares me is the fact that one of the adjustments, either the windage or elevation I can remember off the top of my head, was cranked all the way down. I dont know if this is going to be a problem as I am still waiting on my barrel from CMMG, but as soon as I get it I will have a range report.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
the adjustments seemed like they were 1/4 moa which required a lot to co-witness with my irons. brightness adjustment looked like high/med/low all the others inbetween didnt seem like they did much.

mount didnt hold well and needed to be tightened to the point where i though the stud would break. the sight itself woulf fair really well on the 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
One thing I didn’t care for was the mount. I didn’t need it anyway since I was going with the CH mount and Aimpoint x-wide ring. But the optic it self has held up really well so far and I’m completely pleased. This is by the way mounted on my sons AR with M261 so recoil is nil.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#10]
So i guess the mount is crap but did anybody try the ARMS mount clone he is selling?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have not had a problem with my mount after I put locktight on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
JosephR

you wrote

"Just don't try lining up the dot on top of the front sight post or you will either drive yourself nuts for no reason or put a kink in your neck. "

Man, I have been trying to do just that, and your above comment made a big difference to me. No more neck pain. Thankshort-term
I have at least 500 round through my AR with the Clonepoint atop and have not had any problems. I loctited the mounting bolt as suggested by others and it has not loosen. It has been holding zero, the only problem I had was that it would intermittantly go out when shooting. I switched from the two batteries it came with to one 1/3n duracell and the problem has gone away.

I intend to use it for 3-gun this year, hopefully it will hold up, if not, I will get lots of practice flipping up the BUIS.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have not had a problem with my mount after I put locktight on it.

i had some blue loctite on mine and it was a bit wobbly, now its on there good with some red
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
JosephR

you wrote

"Just don't try lining up the dot on top of the front sight post or you will either drive yourself nuts for no reason or put a kink in your neck. "

Man, I have been trying to do just that, and your above comment made a big difference to me. No more neck pain. Thanks

Short-term dot review:

I have at least 500 round through my AR with the Clonepoint atop and have not had any problems. I loctited the mounting bolt as suggested by others and it has not loosen. It has been holding zero, the only problem I had was that it would intermittantly go out when shooting. I switched from the two batteries it came with to one 1/3n duracell and the problem has gone away.

I intend to use it for 3-gun this year, hopefully it will hold up, if not, I will get lots of practice flipping up the BUIS.

regards,

Luis Leon

thanks, seriously?  

in theory it should sit right above your front sight post when looking through the rear aperture, but you don't have to contort yourself to get it to line up.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
JosephR,

I awaiting delivery of my ARMS 40A2 BUIS, which should arrive tomorrow from Eagle Firearms. So I haven't been looking through a rear sight aperture. But your original comment did help me. So again, thanks... seriously.

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#16]
A few questions.
I have an RRA Entry Tactical with the detachable carry handle,  What mount options are available?  
A:  On the carry handle with a what mount?
B:  Remove the carry handle and use one of the mounts that comes with this or another mount?

I would like to keep the carry handle if cowitnessing is possible.  

If I go Choice A, would one of his mounts work?  If not, which mount?
If I go Choice B, what mount?  ALso I would have to purchase a new rear sight, correct?  Which one?

Joseph responded to some of my questions a while back but they magically dissapeared from my IM inbox.  Sorry Joseph, you were a big help.  I just didn't have the $$ then and somehow they vanished.

Lastly, does anyone have pictures of this sight on a RRA Entry Tactical either with or without the carry handle?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#17]
A regular DCH or RRA's "Tactical" carry handle?  If it's a regular handle, the only way to cowitness would be with a gooseneck mount for the A2s.  If it's a tac handle, then I believe the low mount from Aimpoint will work on top of the handle, but just barely.  I don't know if the "low" handle from Jack is the same as that one or not.  

Much better option is to remove the handle and mount directly to the flat-top.  All of the mounts Jack has are designed for that and will cowitness, with the irons at varying heights in the dot's view.  Most people seem to go for the cantilever one, probably because it's cheaper, but the ARMS-type should be just as good (and let you pick the height by using the spacer or not).

If you wanted a BUIS mounted with the dot on the flat-top directly you'd either have to get a new rear sight or cut your handle down.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#18]
On the RRA Tactical carry handle, you would use THIS from MidwayUSA.com:

Extra Wide Ring High Matte-

It's $23.99.

If you want to go with no carry handle, you'd want to find backup irons- more than likely.

MidwayUSA has THIS mount that is a copy/clone of the GG&G for $54.99.  I've been tempted a few times...

Geeping your RRA Tactical carry handle and using that first Aimpoint mount should allow you to cowitness and use your irons if the clone craps out.  I don't think it will be an absolute co-witness.  Your dot will more than likely float up above the front sight post and not rest at the tip.

If you went the "B" route, the cantilever mount he has that leans forward would be fine on a flattop.  For a rear backup, any would be good.  I have a KAC 300m which I got in the EE.  You can get them for around $70 used in the EE.  Or, you can get an ARMS #40, #40L, whatever.

You could even cut your tactical carry handle and make it like the LMT...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

?

What do you mean? Pics?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?
What do you mean? Pics?

Here is the LMT BUIS
From Globaltactical

and here is the "chopped carry-handle" (which is literally a cut down A2 carry handle hacksawed down to this)

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah!

I see. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks to everyone with the help.  Especially Joseph.
I went ahead and ordered the Clone with the cantilever mount.  Also ordered a #40A2.  I'll remove the tactical carry handle and see how she does.  If I don't like it I'll just sell it on the EE or something and start over.  It's only money, right?

ETA - For those that ordered the clone, how long did it take for you to receive it?  BTW I live in GA if anyone else does that would help narrow it down for me.

Edit #2.  Does anyone know where I can get the ARMS #40A2 cheap?  I checked the EE.  Unfortunately my order for it didn't go through with the other company.  They advertised them as In Stock but sent an email stating they do not have them in stock and don't know when they will????????????????
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I've just received mine today after it was shipped out on Feb. 19.  It took 8 business days and a total of 10 days including the weekends.  Haven't test it out or mounted it yet.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered mine February 16 and haven't received it yet...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well, to a point.  a $75 red dot sight compared to the real aimpoint for $450 is good enough for plinking at the range.  

I've recently gotten into arguments with people about the $200 ACOG knockoffs and it's gotten me pissed about knockoffs in general.  

Where are these ACOG knockoffs to be found?  I'd like to see one and keep seeing them mentioned but have yet to actually see it.

I had the same question, where are the ACOG clones to be found???????
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
well, to a point.  a $75 red dot sight compared to the real aimpoint for $450 is good enough for plinking at the range.  

I've recently gotten into arguments with people about the $200 ACOG knockoffs and it's gotten me pissed about knockoffs in general.  

Where are these ACOG knockoffs to be found?  I'd like to see one and keep seeing them mentioned but have yet to actually see it.

I had the same question, where are the ACOG clones to be found???????

Airsoft stores

www.wgc.com

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I ordered mine February 16 and haven't received it yet...

Have you tried emailing him?  I ordereed mine via paypal Feb 27th and I just got it in the mail today.

As I said I just got it today but have not messed with it.

Now let me get to the stupid questions.  Is there an on/off button or do you just turn the knob that adjust the brightness of the dot and it turns on/off?  The reason I ask is the knob is pretty hard to turn (maybe because it's new) and I don't want to break anything.

Also, Is the only adjustment it has is the one on top underneath the cap?  Is that just a left/right?

I also ordered a rear ARMS BUIS but haven't got it in yet.  What is the best way to sight this in?  DO I just sight in the rear and front irons and then just line the dot up from that?

I've never owned, or for that matter handled,  a Red Dot sight but this seems very good quality for the $$.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I believe "off" is the "0" brightness setting.  Turn either direction from there to turn on.

There should be a knob for up/down, a knob for left/right, and the larger brightness knob.

To sight in I'd mount both the BUIS and dot.  Leave the dot off and sight in the BUIS at 50yds.  Then turn the dot on, look through the rear sight, and adjust the dot to coincide with the front post.   That should get your dot close.  Then confirm the dot's zero at 50yds by just sighting with it and ignoring the irons (flip the rear down if applicable).  Later on you can check whether the zero on the dot has shifted by sighting with the irons and seeing if the dot is on the tip of the front post.  Just don't try to put the dot there in normal use.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone had a chance to use the ARMS type mount that Jack has.  I am thinking of going with this mount but I want to make sure that it will clear my FSB enough.  Has anyone had the chance to use both the ARMS and KAC type mounts?  If so, which one works the best.  This will be going on an RRA flat top.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Are they better or same quality as the tacpoints?

I just bought both.  I am keeping the ebay model and selling the tacpoint.  The tacpoint looks to be a higher quality scope though.  The Tacpoint dot is smaller and has more brightness settings.  I cant justify having a $180 tacpoint clone with clone ARMS mount if I can buy the same thing of similar quality for $90 buck from ebay.

I hardly ever shoot my guns so I am not to concerned about reliability.  Hell, I bought a real Aimpoint Comp a few years ago and had to send it back to the factory three times before they finally sent me a replacement.  The dot would shut itself off and turn itself back on every time you pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag - ordered.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Guys, I bought a knock off one from a guy in Canada on ebay.

I use it on my PCC gun, and it is good to go. 4 brightness settings, rubber is tough, etc..

If Chinese ever come rolling down woodward avenue, I will NOT use it..I will use my Aimpoint on my AR.

I think it is Zombie capable.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#33]
im wondering if this a.r.m.s. carry handle mount will work with the clone

http://www.armsmounts.com/viewimg.php?item_id=77&image=picture
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#34]
has anyone ever got one of jackies acog's? free btt
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
im wondering if this a.r.m.s. carry handle mount will work with the clone

www.armsmounts.com/viewimg.php?item_id=77ℑ=picture

yes.  All quality 30mm mounts will work...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
has anyone ever got one of jackies acog's? free btt

I have one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:02:27 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Got mine in yesterday from a fellow ARfcomer. It's solid. I like it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Actually saw a few here in Florida at a show that had AIMPOINT on the side and Aimpoint on the flip cover..  talk about a foakley.. lol   i cant belive they sellem with the Real name on them too..
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Actually saw a few here in Florida at a show that had AIMPOINT on the side and Aimpoint on the flip cover..  talk about a foakley.. lol   i cant belive they sellem with the Real name on them too..

Look closely, it probably would have said AMPIONT (without the I)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMPIONT with out the I......so AMPONT?

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:37:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMPIONT with out the I......so AMPONT?

It dosen't have the first "I".  

It says "AMPOINT" and is made by TGS.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Negative,,,, it says AIMPOINT on the Cover and the side and bottom. i know cause we just went back to the show and bought 2 of them.. :)  Shhhhh..   Ill post pix as soon as we mount them.. side by side to my friends REAL DEAL.. you cant even tell the difference.. only difference is the lr44 batteries and the on switch it rotates both clockwise and counter clockwise from the off position.  Ill post pix THEN ask who wants some.. :)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Are these not known of yet?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I have not seen them at gunshows yet. At least not here in South FLA. They are however all over Ebay. With and without the Aimpoint name. The ones I saw on Ebay have the Aimpoint name in white unlike the real ones.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Negative,,,, it says AIMPOINT on the Cover and the side and bottom. i know cause we just went back to the show and bought 2 of them.. :)  Shhhhh..   Ill post pix as soon as we mount them.. side by side to my friends REAL DEAL.. you cant even tell the difference.. only difference is the lr44 batteries and the on switch it rotates both clockwise and counter clockwise from the off position.  Ill post pix THEN ask who wants some.. :)

Holy shit!

Now that's unheard of....do please post pics!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have not seen them at gunshows yet. At least not here in South FLA. They are however all over Ebay. With and without the Aimpoint name. The ones I saw on Ebay have the Aimpoint name in white unlike the real ones.

they have aimpoint on the side of the scope in silver not white..
trying to locate my usb cable for my camera as to get the pics on my pc..  heres a phot of the real deal. the ones i have say aimpoint in the same color as the CompM2 4MOA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#48]
That's what I meant by white. White, silver, close enough............
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#49]
non issue with a pencil eraser in hand.. LOL  DUN
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:04:33 AM EDT
[#50]
This is not a tag.  I would never tag a thread about clones.

Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top