Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought two of the stainless mags.  One I've been babying and the other I've been trying to destroy.  I've dropped it, kicked it across the range, tossed it into the air, intentionally dropped it repeatedly on the feed lips and have driven over it with an Excursion.  I have to say that I'm impressed with how much abuse this mag has taken.  It won't drop free from the rifle and the follower doesn't run as smoothly as it did originally.  But the mag still works fine in both semi- and full-auto and still locks the bolt back, etc.

After I abuse the mag some more, I'll start a new thread detailing what I've done.
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess my favorite part about these (beside the spring, follower and finish common to all CP mags) is that they are strong SS but MUUUUCH lighter than my SA80 mags, either pre-ban or HK.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, those are some really pretty rocks!!

Oh, I'm sorry, is this a mag thread?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've been playing with the regular production SS mags for a while.  Today one of them visited the range puddle again.  I let the mag sit in the water for a bit, then I worked it around to get some muck/grit inside the mag.  Pulled it out, let it drain for a bit, then ran 30 rounds though (x3).  No problems at all, as usual.  By the time I made it home and broke the mags down, a thin layer of rust had started on a few areas of the CS spring.  The rust wiped off with a rag soaked with FP-10.  After cleaning up the mags, I had a strange idea.  What if I applied bit of automotive wax to the exterior.  I spent all of about 3 minutes on it, but the wax gave it a slick protective coat and it felt very similar to a Teflon finished mag.  I know the SS material should hold up fine, but SS can eventually rust.  Ridiculous, pimp-like move...?  I dunno, but I've applied wax to 1911's to help prevent or minimize rust.  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/CP%20SS/P1010678.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/CP%20SS/P1010690.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/CP%20SS/P1010693.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/CP%20SS/P1010702.jpg

I've seen it all now!

Look at that water bead!
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dude, those are some really pretty rocks!!

Oh, I'm sorry, is this a mag thread?

No kidding.  They kind of look like a pile of jelly beans.

Link Posted: 6/23/2006 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I just finished a 5 day class. I used 3 of these mags wiothout any problems. They held up to quite a beating. I highly recommend them
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
now I wish I had gotten in on that father's day special
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Me too!

TS
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too!

TS

when is mother's day?
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too!

TS

when is mother's day?

About 11 months away or something.  Surely there's a holiday between now and then...

TS
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there a way to tell the SS mags from the Aluminum mags. I ordered 10 aluminum amgs and one SS to check it out. Its hard for me to tell the diff. I ordered all of them with the Black marlube finnish and grey followers. There is one follower marked different. It has 5.56 across the front of the follower. Is that my SS mag. The weight is really close for me to tell the differance. Honestly. I got heavy hands I guess. TIA WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is there a way to tell the SS mags from the Aluminum mags. I ordered 10 aluminum amgs and one SS to check it out. Its hard for me to tell the diff. I ordered all of them with the Black marlube finnish and grey followers. There is one follower marked different. It has 5.56 across the front of the follower. Is that my SS mag. The weight is really close for me to tell the differance. Honestly. I got heavy hands I guess. TIA WarDawg

Check for the steel mags with a magnet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 3:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The follower marked "5.56" is the stainless steel. That is the new Gen II follower being made by Magpul exclusively for the C Products stainless steel magazine.

Larry
C Products

Thank you for the replys. I thought the 5.56 follower was it. They are still in the wrap . But they sure look good. WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Midway USA has these mags in stock for $17.99 each.
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
About 11 months away or something. Surely there's a holiday between now and then...

TS

TS,
There's July 4th and a sale is going on.

Larry
C Products

I might have to take part in the celebration with a few more SS mags!

TS
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my six SS mags in the other day. These are STELLAR!! A bargin at the price!

Thanks Larry! Great product!
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#20]
You can't beat aluminum. I have some D&H that are cheap and work perfect.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can't beat aluminum. I have some D&H that are cheap and work perfect.

These are only slightly more expensive than a new aluminum mag but are much more durable.  These new steel mags seem to be ideal for duty/service use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Stainless about $18 / Aluminum about $10
Stainless cost more, weight more and tend to crack.
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
weight more and tend to crack.

Uh, no...

TS
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
There has been a problem with stainless cracking and they do weight more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Hi Larry,
Cracking in the feed lip area has been a problem with stainless mags due to the
hardness of the steel. What grade of stainless do you use for your magazines ?
An aluminum mag weights about 3.7 oz. What does your mag weight ?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The vaunted HK mags will crack with some abuse.  So far, no cracks in my C Products mag.  And I've been trying to crack it!
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The vaunted HK mags will crack with some abuse.  So far, no cracks in my C Products mag.  And I've been trying to crack it!

And HK mags aren't stainless.

TS
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

One agencies test is to drop our magazine fully loaded 6 foot on the feed lips. So far we have never had a failure. They have even driven over it unloaded with a truck and it fired flawlessly when reloaded.

Larry
C Products

If the Border Patrol can't break one, nobody can!
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi Larry,
The objection I have to your reply is not specifying the grade of stainless.
400 series does not tell me much. That could be from good to not so good.

There has been cracking of feed lips and cracking along the welds of stainless mags.
I was speaking of stainless mags in general. Your stainless mags have not been on the market
long enough to have a track record good or bad at this point.

I'm sure your intentions are good I hope that will be enough.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 1:01:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hi Larry,
The objection I have to your reply is not specifying the grade of stainless.
400 series does not tell me much. That could be from good to not so good.

There has been cracking of feed lips and cracking along the welds of stainless mags.
I was speaking of stainless mags in general. Your stainless mags have not been on the market
long enough to have a track record good or bad at this point.

I'm sure your intentions are good I hope that will be enough.
Thanks

Which stainless mags experienced cracking?  If not the CProducts, then which mags are you speaking of?

Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Hi Larry, Here is my reply
Explain to me what the difference would be if it were 410 stainless or 430?
The fact that you ask that question concerns me. 410 and 430 are two different types of stainless for two different applications.
When you post a general statement in a thread that is dealing with a specific magazine it is extremely misleading.
I think aluminum is better due to cost, but I was interested in stainless mags due to strength. I didn't know you were afraid to talk about the issues concerning stainless.
The thread was concerning stainless mags.
What magazines were you referring to?
The name of the manufacturer is not the issue here (it was not Cproducts) unless your mags are a re-brand and happen to be the brand in question.
Our stainless steel magazines have been out for over 6 months. How long do you think it would take for the type of problem you are referring to, to happen? We have stainless steel magazines that have 5,000 up to 10,000 rounds fired with no problem. The abuse tests that our mags have been subjected to are far beyond what most mags could tolerate and they have passed them all. No cracking of feed lips or along the welds.
6 MO. is not a very long time. I have no idea how many have been tested or what your test criteria is.
I am not trying to be argumentative, just want to know what your criteria or what test needs to be performed before you say its a good magazine.
I had heard and seen bad things about stainless. Why are yours better and why should I buy?
They have even driven over it unloaded with a truck and it fired flawlessly when reloaded.
I do not believe this will work. What is your warranty? If I set an unloaded mag. on my concrete driveway and run over it with my pick-up and it still works flawlessly I will only buy Cproducts stainless mags from now on. If it does not I want all my money back including shipping both ways. I will post the results good or bad and not charge you for my time testing your mags.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
They have even driven over it unloaded with a truck and it fired flawlessly when reloaded.
I do not believe this will work. What is your warranty? If I set an unloaded mag. on my concrete driveway and run over it with my pick-up and it still works flawlessly I will only buy Cproducts stainless mags from now on. If it does not I want all my money back including shipping both ways. I will post the results good or bad and not charge you for my time testing your mags.
Thanks

Just to set the record straight on the "driven over it unloaded with a truck" test, I placed the mag lengthwise on the hard packed dirt/gravel in the parking lot at our local PD range and then had my partner run over it with the back passenger tire of a Service Ford Excursion.  The mag body did get compressed slightly, as the feed lips are closer together now than on the other SS mag I have.  Also, the base plate tabs are tweaked a little and the base plate isn't as tight as it originally was.  That's also partially from being repeatedly dropped onto a concrete floor while fully loaded.  The follower drags a little inside the mag tube now but still functions properly when used.  I do note that the seams on the front and back of the mag are bent a tiny bit from flush in two spots but the spot welds have held.  

If you doubt the functionality/durability of the C Products mag, why not spend the $18.00 bucks and try to kill one like I've done?  I think you'll be very surprised with just how tough these mags are.  Unless, of course, you're a total pessimist and already have your mind made up.

I think these will prove to be about the best deal going for an AR mag!
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What magazines were you referring to?
The name of the manufacturer is not the issue here (it was not Cproducts) unless your mags are a re-brand and happen to be the brand in question.

I'm not taking sides here, but it actually is relevant to know which mags you are talking about.  A link or reference would be helpful also, if you have one.

Link Posted: 6/26/2006 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn buy your self one and try it out. Test it. Geesh...........................
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I believe it would be a waste of time and $ to drive over Larry's mag. It will not function flawlessly after.
However if Larry takes me up on the challenge then I know he has confidence in his product and I will give it a try.  
If not then I have my answer and I'm done with this.
Geesh...........................
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#41]
nevermind...
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I believe it would be a waste of time and $ to drive over Larry's mag. It will not function flawlessly after.
However if Larry takes me up on the challenge then I know he has confidence in his product and I will give it a try.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Read my posts above!
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Rear my posts above!
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#45]
The follower drags a little inside the mag tube now but still functions properly when used.

Thanks, but this is not flawless. imo
That mag will fail.

I may buy one of these and test it, because of your recommendation.
However I may not run over it, that is asking alot.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The follower drags a little inside the mag tube now but still functions properly when used.

Thanks, but this is not flawless. imo
That mag will fail.

What's not flawless about this?  Yeah, the follower drags a little but the mag will still feed with 100% reliability in both full- and semi-auto.  The follower still moves freely enough to lock the bolt open, too.  

I may buy one of these and test it, because of your recommendation.
However I may not run over it, that is asking alot.
Thanks!

Dude, what's your problem???  If you have no evidence to back up your claims about "mags will fail," or "mags will crack," then go someplace else.  It looks to me like all you're doing is fishing for a free magazine by complaining about something that hasn't happened.  In all likeliness, if C Products were to send you a magazine to try, you'd smash it with a sledge hammer or shoot a couple holes in it and then post here that the magazine failed.  I'm sure all here would agree that you've already decided that these magazine are junk.

Obviously the mags will fail if given enough abuse.  What won't?  Your rifle will also fail if you beat the crap out of it.  

Try doing any of the things I've done to an aluminum magazine and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Being run over by a vehicle is not even a good test.  They're not made to jack up trucks or prevent them from rolling.  They are made to feed a rifle.  A magazine needs to be able to survive reasonable rough handling and still function reliably.  If a magazine can survive being run over by a vehicle and still function - that's worth noting but not a fair or reasonable test for a magazine.

I have a few of the CProducts stainless magazines.  I haven't had a chance to test them extensively but like them so far.  I don't know that I'll buy another aluminum mag.

Larry's stainless mags are heavier duty and seem to be cut and formed better (more precisely) than the aluminum ones I have.

I have heard of stainless pistol mags cracking in the past.  I doubt that applies here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#48]
You have no evidence to back up your claims about me.
I guess Larry can't defend himself and sent you in.
A few questions you fall apart and start taking cheap shots.

Thanks for your professionalism Cproducts and all your help MJ

Link Posted: 6/27/2006 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
It looks to me like all you're doing is fishing for a free magazine by complaining about something that hasn't happened.  

I think that about sums it up.

Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top