BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what the basis of this argument is?  Use what works for you and your operating parameters.
Information exchange is a two way street.  "Gun Fighters" can learn from competition shooters, and competition shooters can learn from "gun fighters."  Every class I attend I learn something, and I'm sure students more on the "gun fighter" side of things learn a thing or two from me.  Likewise when my LE or Military friends attend matches I am sure they learn something, and if people pay attention something can be learned from them as well.  This exchange of information can make us all better shooters regardless of how we employ or equipment or skills.  It can also lead to enhancements of equipment over time, which as Sinister said is not hard to track at all over the past 15-20 years.

EXACTLY, I don't recall BigBore saying that this was a "Combat Trigger"...  it's clearly aimed at the precision end of the spectrum.  The failures that Jack (and others) see in the typical carbine class come from bad CHOICES of equipment, NOT bad equipment.   Too many people see the "latest/greatest" thing, and add it too their weapon with little or no thought about it's intended scope of use.

Regarding info exchange:  RIGHT AGAIN.  The CMP was established, in fact, to produce civilian marksmen.  It's made me capable of 600 yard shots with irons.  All branches of Service field teams that you can see at Perry.  This is where the "leading edge" is worked out, so that what they learn can be applied at the "bleeding edge".  Naturally, they apply more specific training and equipment to fullfill their needs in this competitive sport.  

When playing in the "middle ground" ie: 3-Gun, I continue to learn from both ends of the spectrum.  The GUN FIGHTERS teach me speed with reproducible results & the more PRECISION guys help me tweak it for the stages from 100-300 yards.

Think of it this way....  how many things "dribble down" into main stream (after simplification or fortification) after being developed on the race track.  I don't need fingertip steering wheel mounted electronic shifting like an F1 car... but I'll bet that the technology drifted down into production cars in the form of smoother everyday transmissions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That is also what I keep saying and noone seems to listen.  Combat Jack has had problems with RRA triggers.  Well RRA is known to go single stage and is on my DO NOT BUY list.  Its a know problem.  Misadjustment and improper install and maintenance are the problems with the high end triggers.  If you get a good piece of gear, install it correctly and take care of it I have no doubt it is MORE reliable than a factory trigger.

Combat Jack has had factory triggers go down multiple times.  This should give him the clue that it is the QUALITY of the trigger that is important and not whether it has set screws or is one or two stages.

There is no doubt a computer controlled, fuel injected car is has MORE PARTS than a carburated car.  However the fuelinjected car is MORE RELIABLE.  MORE PARTS does not = LESS RELIABLE.  They are seperate entities.  This is why we run ARs instead of AKs.  This is why we run battery powered optics.  A more complex part with MORE PARTS  to break can be MORE RELIABLE than a less complex part.  The problem Combat Jack has had with match triggers is that he used a trigger with a known problem... he cheaped out and got a budget trigger that goes single stage and has to be filed on to repair.  I would never dream of using a RRA in a combat rifle.  I also would not dream of lumping KAC in with RRA either.

Here is another one to think about.  AR iron sights have more moving parts than AK sights.  Are AR sights unreliable?  Should we use AK style irons?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Think of it this way....  how many things "dribble down" into main stream (after simplification or fortification) after being developed on the race track.  I don't need fingertip steering wheel mounted electronic shifting like an F1 car... but I'll bet that the technology drifted down into production cars in the form of smoother everyday transmissions.

Actually BMW offers this as a trasmission option and it revolutionises the car you put it in.  If I had the money to afford it I would dump my 6 speed in a heart beat for a computer controlled clutch at my fingertips.  Then again I run a KAC 2 stage in a carbine...
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, you got the second part of that right, anyway.  

Have fun.

Out....

Who the hell is this asshat?

Great post bigbore.  It's on my winter buy list for next season.  We have to hook up for a cigar next August.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Neil, what were the circumstances of the KAC failure?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Combat Jack,

How many match triggers and what types have you run?  What were the failures you experienced in those trigger related to?

I posted similar questions the page back.  I would love to know what these failures are and whether or not they're limited to a specific model mfg's trigger or if they occur across the board.  

I've seen tons of threads of "My (fill in the blank) broke on my AR...."  Often these threads are accompanied by pics and a decent writeup of what actually happened.  But all I ever hear about triggers is that they "went down" -- no details, no pics, not even a clear explanatiuon if the triger became inoperative vs it just lost a stage.  I'm really curious how much of the "only use stock triggers" mantra is based on sound judgment and/or first hand experience vs how much of of it is conventional wisdom repeated over and over that hasn't been challenged and revalidated.  

To clarify, my experience with RRA's is that they lose a stage and get mushy (and I've seen them run WAY too light, for some reason), while stock triggers give it up by firing on the reset.

Were you able after the fact to tweak the RRA's to regain the distinct two stages without the mushiness?  If so, what did you do to them?

When you say the stock triggers fire on the reset, do you mean they start doubling or do they not fire on the pull, but only fire after releasing and letting the trigger reset?

BTW, thanks for providing some direct data.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#13]
It is quite easy to adjust the KAC trigger wrong so that it will either cause doubles or fail to reset. From my experience it is most likely a user error. The trigger comes pre-adjusted from the factory, and despite the fact that the FCG pin locations will be a bit different from lower to lower, it will function reliably. There will be some creep or the weight may not be just right, but it will function none the less.

Problems are generated when the user tries to lighten the pull or remove creep or what ever, without fully understanding the function of the set screws. Like I said, it's easy to screw up this trigger, but when you learn how to make it run right, it is very reliable. People who have no patience to read the factory installation instruction should not touch this trigger.

The Geissele looks interesting, although I dislike the fact that you have to diassemble the grip and safety to install it and the hammer pin is non-standard. One outstanding feature of the KAC trigger is that it's truly a drop-in trigger and it uses standard FCG pins and springs. I will keep the Geissele in mind if I need another top quality trigger. The KAC is a real pain in the ass to find, so options are welcome.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually BMW offers this as a trasmission option and it revolutionises the car you put it in.  If I had the money to afford it I would dump my 6 speed in a heart beat for a computer controlled clutch at my fingertips.  Then again I run a KAC 2 stage in a carbine...

not to sidetrack the thread but were i work, i have driven the m3 with the steering wheel clutch and have to say it takes getting use to but cool as hell
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Devl,
I bought the RRA before any reports of problems came online.

The ony trigger that I haven't heard ugly reports of is the KAC Auto.  I don't really want to use that one though.

Yeah, I've used some cheap triggers.  As I said, Colts have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Bringing this trigger to the defensive carbine world, where there is limited exposure to match triggers may be a problem. I’m afraid too many will see all the screws and start turning all of them in different directions.

Yes, there was some mention of using these triggers in defensive carbines.

And again, to clarify, some field weapons require the use of these triggers, others don't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
....Any other triggers mentioned? ....

No, but since you brought the subject up how about Armalite 2 stage triggers?

I hadn't heard anything bad about them (other than they are not as nice as some of the other triggers mentioned).  I picked one up a few years ago and have been using it on my 20" rifle, and now I'll be putting it in my 6.8.  I've never had a problem with mine - but it doesn't feel as nice as the RRA triggers I've tried.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have no dog in this fight. I don't see the reason for a "match" trigger in your basic defensive carbine but I don't think that's what these types of triggers are designed\marketed for. I would like to build a "precision oriented" AR and even though I can almost guarantee it will never see anything other then paper, I would still want to be built as if it was going to play a pivotal role in WWIII Because of that I would want a combat proven trigger. So far the KAC trigger is the only one that I'm aware of that really qualifies so far?

All that said, ComJack - I'm not sure you are making sense here. It sounds like you are saying that for a gun you need to trust your life with, you would rather stick with a factory type trigger as opposed to an "enhanced" (and presumably more complex) design? That's been pretty much my feelings on it as well (for defensive carbines anyway) but playing devils advocate, your own experience would seem to indicate just the opposite...

Quoted:
To clarify, my experience with RRA's is that they lose a stage and get mushy (and I've seen them run WAY too light, for some reason), while stock triggers give it up by firing on the reset.

Maybe I'm missing something but if I was in a fight for my life, I would rather have my trigger loose it's second stage and start feeling "mushy" then have it start firing on the reset. I also don't think it's fair (or wise) to dismiss all enhanced triggers based off of your experience with the cheapest example out there.

Big Bore - Thanks for bringing this trigger to light for us out of the loop nobodies and
Sinister - Thanks for sharing with us some real experience with this trigger (and it's main competition) - I look forward to reading some more reports as these get more use\combat time.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
- What the hell is up with Milazzo? - Is Charlie out of the business?

Was he ever really in business?  I know of no one who was ever able to get him on the phone, and when he was at commercial row a few years ago, the only words anyone heard him say was "cash only".

I actually did get to talk to him on the phone 2 years ago and arranged to have him install a trigger for me about 6 months after the conversation. He said he was just finishing a run of triggers for the AMU and he had me send my receiver in during the lull between production runs.

It is a "service rifle trigger" and is used only for competition in high power matches.

It is my understanding that he got tired of fighting design infringments in court and has folded his tent. Don't know if he will restart selling product or not. I got this info from 3 different people that compete and 2 attend the Camp Perry Matches.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The first time I saw a KAC trigger double, I did not get a chance to look at it or try it, so I cant say what it was. I only saw it happen and asked what trigger it was. The second time it was at a class and I got a chance to see it, try it, and fix it. The trigger would fire upon pressing the trigger, and again when releasing. It was during a precision rifle class. The shooter was pretty cool, it only a took a shot or two to figure out what was happening. At this drill in the class, we were shooting at steel plates at 400. After it was determined how the trigger was acting, the shooter would pull the trigger, hit steel, then release the trigger, and hit steel. Cool! After that, we adjusted it and it ran cool for the rest of the class and continues to run smooth as I have been told.

The KAC trigger locking up was just what you said Steve. As I recall, the one screw had been adjusted to the rear hook on the trigger was catching on the hook of the disconector. That was a pain to fix.

So both of these were screw adjustment errors or coming loose errors?  Were the screws locktited?  I am assuming that you were the one who "fixed" them so did you have to apply pressure and "break" the locktite to make these adjustments or was ther none applied or had it erroded away or what exactly?  Also was it actual screw adjustment that failed (backed out) or did the actual sear/disconnector/whatever surface wear away which resulted in what used to be a propperly set up trigger becoming no longer propperly tuned?

I hope those questions make sense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Oops.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I think this summer when I do my next build, I might give this one a try.  If there is negative feed back by then, Ill probably go with the KAC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
The Armalite trigger is pretty good ( better than RRA's IMOP ) but more $ than RRA's; RRA and LMT ? are pretty much clones of the Armalite with some small changes with the disconnector design and manufacture methods.

Don't think Bigbore had one pictured in his excellent " ETYEWTK about 2 stage triggers "  thread ...

There was alot of positive talk about the Geissele trigger on the firing line this last season and everyone seemed very interrested to try one out. Personally I'am very happy with my Jewell and can't justify the cost to just get one to"  try out ".

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Ah yes you did , havnt looked at the thread for a day or two. nice pics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#29]
There is an article on triggers in the January '06 issue of Guns magazine.  It does talk about the Geissele Trigger. very positive stuff.  Check it out.

Heidi
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#30]
IMHO, combat weapons (people-killers) would be best served with low-tech, yet advanced engineered triggers.

The less moving parts the better.

It would seem this Geissele may be best suited for the 600yd line at a precision shooters match.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Big Bore thanks for the post.   A lot of information was provided.  

I have had 18 months combat experience and was prior law enforcement.  Neither has made me an expert on a new product.  Reading about it and trying the product provides the knowedge to make a proper decision about buying it for my own use.

One thing I like about AR15.com is how those who sells products and the makers of the products
post here.  

To those who go 10-8 each day and those who serve currently or have served in prior conflict, thank you.  As for those currently serving in harms way may God protect you and yours.  Shoot straight and come home safe.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#32]
bigbore,

Whats the round count through trigger to date?  Any new comments or updates?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I might have missed it but I don't think anyone explained how a stock trigger can double.

No one in my unit knew anything about this until one guy (our best unit marksman) fired a round after a cease fire was called. Upon further investigation, his trigger was hosed. As the parts wear out, a stock trigger will still function normally unless you release the trigger really slowly after firing. We had our whole armory tested after that incident and 3 triggers total failed in the same manner. From what I understand, the test is a part of the M16's annual inspection.

I havn't looked this up in a TM, but talking to the guy who was checking our weapons the test goes like this. With the weapon assembled, cleared and with no magazine, charge the weapon. Move the selector lever to semi, pull and hold the trigger, hammer will fall. Charge the weapon. Release the trigger at 1/3rd normal speed or slower, hammer should not fall. Repeat 5 times. If the hammer falls on the reset during any of the 5 repetitions, you must replace the FCG.

To comment on the orignal thread topic, I think the only defensive weapon these triggers would benefit from are the so called "recees" and "SPRs". If I were to build one I might put a two stage trigger in, but a good point has been made, $279 is a lot of practice ammo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bigbore,

Whats the round count through trigger to date?  Any new comments or updates?

I have one in my AR10 with about 50 rounds through it.  I'll be using it in a match next weekend that will add another 62 rounds.  

Cold weather and short days dont leave much range time with a rifle.

I've sold 5, and no one has complained.

I have some SBR projects that I'll be going through many rounds in testing once I get things lined up.  

Yup I got one, havnt used it yet, taking it to the range in a few days, will let yall know how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup I got one, havnt used it yet, taking it to the range in a few days, will let yall know how it goes.

Did you install it yet? What was your initial impression? Get some dry fire time in first, its will surprise you the first few times it breaks
I think many people are scared away because they think its more complicated than it really is.

Steve,
I'll be putting in an order tomorrow for one tomorrow after I get back to Ohio from the holiday traveling.  After realizing all the components I had with my SPR 'do it all' rifle, I realized an adjustable trigger might be the right area to lean towards..
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you install it yet? What was your initial impression? Get some dry fire time in first, its will surprise you the first few times it breaks(2nd stage that is)
I think many people are scared away because they think its more complicated than it really is.

I installed it, first time I dry fired it I made this face: Its got to be the best feeling trigger I have ever felt.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#40]
tag for later
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Sky,

That is a function check which you should do any time you break your weapon down.

Ron Ray
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#42]
ordered mine a couple days ago, i'll also get back to ya with my report.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ordered mine a couple days ago, i'll also get back to ya with my report.

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sky,

That is a function check which you should do any time you break your weapon down.

Ron Ray

Well yeah, I know that now, but nowhere in the Army operator level literature does it mention this. The Army just leaves it up to the annual.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top