User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can you tell us if the 7.62x39 barrels are chrome lined???????

+1

Oh man, if that is the case then 7.62x39 could probably exceed interest for 6.8 due to availability and price of ammo. Chrome lined barrel and a more accurate platform for the 7.62x39 than an AK would sell a good deal. Maybe on an AR-47 lower??????
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Oh man, if that is the case then 7.62x39 could probably exceed interest for 6.8 due to availability and price of ammo. Chrome lined barrel and a more accurate platform for the 7.62x39 than an AK would sell a good deal. Maybe on an AR-47 lower??????

It would be kick ass, Quality chrome lined barrels, piston system, free float, Cproducts 30rd mags and i would probably run the MGI bolt and firing pin. That would be the ultimate setup. Ammo would be cheaper than both 5.56 and 6.8 spc. I cant Wait!
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are lined with a space age poly propylene that keeps the bullets from spinning too fast prior to exiting the barrel.

Seriously though - I will have all the details regarding the barrels when we decide which barrel we are going to use.  Until then, if I release details about one barrel vs. another, they will ultimately be mixed up with the barrel we actually decide on.

Todd

Please don't waste time on a non-chrome lined barrel as there are plenty of those on the market as is.

Link Posted: 2/27/2008 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mockup of the 6.8SPC SBR Tim Hicks at Cardinal Armory will be building for me as soon as he hits the "go" switch on PWS conversions... Should make shooting with my Surefire can much more pleasant. Can't wait!

Link Posted: 2/29/2008 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested in getting one in rifle length so don't be so quick about dropping it from the lineup. Most of my AR's are full rifle length; not the SBR's so popular now.

All my shorter (16" barrels) AR's are mid-length gas system so I really like that you can do rifle, middy and carbine with the same system. That is a big selling point for me.

I do have a question though...

Any chance of volume discounts?

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds like you are doing a great job. Thanks for all the pictures and R&D Info.

I will ask a stupid question so it only needs a stupid reply. Will this fit my not listed DD M4 Series Rail?

My real question is this. Will this conversion be compatible with a STAG ARMS LH SETUP? Since the difference is the bolt and carrier, not the Key. But your are the designer.

I currently have a Stag Arms upper and bolt assembly, WOA 16" mid-length SS barrel and DD M4 9.5 FSB rail. A PWS would be great.

Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I had studied the DD M4 Rail and saw that lip. guessing correctly that the lip might be the issue causing it to have a to narrow ID.

Hey guys I am surprised with the tremendous interest with the 7.62mm. Why so much interest in this caliber? Teach me something.

Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had studied the DD M4 Rail and saw that lip. guessing correctly that the lip might be the issue causing it to have a to narrow ID.

Hey guys I am surprised with the tremendous interest with the 7.62mm. Why so much interest in this caliber? Teach me something.

Thanks Jay

Because it's next to the 6.8 in desirability but MUCH more readily available (and cheaper too). If you can make an AR-47 lower work you'll have cheap and plentiful mags too.

Oh, and 7.62 out of a free-floated barrel with the AR's "tightness" in specs = more accuracy than an AK.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
So 100% no carrier tilt guaranteed on this this kit?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Jay

Because it's next to the 6.8 in desirability but MUCH more readily available (and cheaper too). If you can make an AR-47 lower work you'll have cheap and plentiful mags too.

Oh, and 7.62 out of a free-floated barrel with the AR's "tightness" in specs = more accuracy than an AK.

Thats exactly why i want one. I just dont like the looks, ergonomincs, accuracy, and Quality of an AK. Ive already got a 6.8 but ammo is expensive and sometimes hard to find.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I dropped the upper in the mail today!

I was hoping to have it back by tomorrow

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Thanks Jay

I love the way 7.62x39 feels on full auto, much more satisfying than 5.56.  Plus I have thousands of rounds of cheap (way back when) surplus and wolf to shoot.

Link Posted: 3/12/2008 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you build custom uppers with this system or just the kit?
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you looked at the JP handguards to see if your system fits?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't know if this has been covered, but will your conversion fit under a KAC RAS II rail syatem? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks; I'll be waiting until then.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Will a VLTOR CASV work with this?
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Will a VLTOR CASV work with this?

ditto on this question.  was wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes the Vltor CASV will fit with just a little grinding on the inside ribs. Todd has my upper with the CASV installing one of the newer piston kits. He may have a photo of it that he could post when the conversion is done?
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If I have this installed on my MGI upper will I be able to swap the barrel and bolt carrier and go back and forth from DI?
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If I have this installed on my MGI upper will I be able to swap the barrel and bolt carrier and go back and forth from DI?

There are several issues with this scenario.  First - the MGI handguard does not allow for sufficient clearance for our system.  If it did - or if there was a way around that, to swap barrels you would need another gas block on each barrel - which is something we don't offer right now without buying another complete system.  This would obviously not be very cost effective if it were possible at all.

Todd

Are you familiar with there new rail system on the MGI upper?

I know the older tube type wont have clearance but I noticed on mine there is a lot some material machined from under the top rail.

I can take more pics and measurements if you like.

On the other hand if you give me the clearance required from say the top of a .75 streight profile barrel I can figure it for myself.

I'm not interested in swapping the piston system between barrels.  Just having one barrel set up for it.

LWRC gave me a quote on a special captured piston system they can install for my use.
They have quite a reputation but I like the simplicity of your design, yours is a little more friendly to my wallet to.

It fits nicely into the tax prebate coming to me in May
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Hi, Todd
I would like to send upper in for piston system upgrade. Can I just send it in with a check? or I should go through your website to buy it first? Tks
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry to ask a newb question. But i currently own a POF AR15 which is a piston system and has been extremely reliable. I am looking for a 2nd AR15 and was thinking either at another rife that is piston designed from scratch or purchasing a RRA or Stag Arms and using your system to make it a piston type system.

How is your piston system different that the POF setup? Does your system offer any advantages over a rifle like the POF or similar that is piston from scratch? I appreciate all inputs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 12:03:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry if this is redundant, I haven't read the entire thread because I'm in a hurry right now.

Anyway how does it handle full auto fire?

By the way, very cool design!
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I haven't seen the new upper.  Can you take a couple shots of the end of it - specifically mounted over the barrel.  A measurement would be good if you have the ability.  I would certainly like to be able to fit under the MGI system.

Todd

No prob, might have to wait tell this weekend.

As for pics.  I have stripped the MGI upper down to the receiver before.

I'll do that again and get you all the pic's of the system bones on up as I'm sure you'll probably have to do that to install the piston for me.

There are some screws that hide a couple items that are under spring pressure so I'll give a step by step on those so you don't end up on hands and knees for 2 hours like I did.

It will be neat if we can get this to work.

DI or Piston in the same exact platform should make very interesting side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Sorry if this is redundant, I haven't read the entire thread because I'm in a hurry right now.

Anyway how does it handle full auto fire?

By the way, very cool design!

My understanding is it has many advantages over DI for full auto.

Also unlike others the op rod isn't slamming the bolt carrier like a jack hammer.

Over DI

You have less fouling in the carrier and upper as a whole.
The bolt and carrier stay much cooler so you don't burn of lube like you do in a DI gun.
When you do go to clean it the crud is limited to the piston and piston housing.  Less parts needing cleaned.

I'm sure PWS will list a few more.

But from what I've seen at ranges with POF's and LWRC's they run cleaner and cooler.

In FA this is going to show up 100x.  I bet you could run FA on 1000rds of WOLF and be cleaner and cooler than if you dumped a mag of your choice of ammo in a DI gun.  At least as far as the bolt carrier,bolt, and upper receiver are concerned.

EDIT:  I forgot the quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been reading back through this thread, do you any updates on the 7.62x39 project? Chrome lined barrels still in the mix? The CProducts 30 rounders are almost here. I hope...

How's the 6.8 testing coming along? I've practically got my upper packed and ready to ship to Tim. What can you tell us?

Looking forward to having both.
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#40]
About ready to pull the trigger on this conversion.

I was wondering if there are any third party reviews on the system yet that I can read? Would love to get the perspective of some users and maybe an independent review site.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Speaking of left hand will this system work with a Stag Arms lefty upper?
Will the Yankee Hill Forearm work?
Thanks Bruce

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could you (or someone else with experience using your system) give an idea of the level of reduction, if any, in suppressed "blowback" using your system?
Thanks

We shot today using a suppressor on a 14.5" gun doing a direct comparison with a DI system and our left handed shooter noted there was a remarkable difference with our system and the gas was almost non existent.

Hope this helps.

Todd
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2008 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok The pic's for the MGI upper as requested.

This is with a pencil barrel installed.

This is a cloce up of the relief in the handguard.  I did a little MS Paint to show where I might need to have material removed as it looks like it could be very close.

Here is a shot from front to back all the way to the back.

The Handguard is really 2 parts.  The main body and an extension that screws on.
Without the extension the handguard clears a carbine length frontsight/gasblock by about 1/8'' to 1/16''.

I think It would look really slick if I ordered an extra extension from MGI and had it machined to fit around the PWS gasblock.

Sorry about not having measurement handy.  But the shot all the way to the gas tube hole in the receiver gives some scale.

Hmmm...  I noticed the gas block uses set screws.  O the possibilities.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Any updates on the pistol length gas system or the handguards for it? I know you said you
won't modify handguards because of the warranty, but what if the handguard was sent in
already modified? What I have in mind is the Larue 7.0 with the top section cut out to accept
your gas block.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok The pic's for the MGI upper as requested.

Is the rail on the handguard higher than the receiver rail?  It looks like there is a lot of space, but if it is receiver height, then I still don't think it would fit.  

Shoot me an email - maybe we can have you send it in to look at - as your are MT, it should only be a day or so away via UPS.

Todd

The handguard rail is receiver height.

I'm actually in Ft. Bragg with the 82nd, but I call Montana home.

I'll have to think about sending it in.  If I send it I'm gona want the piston in it.

I'm going to see if I can dig up a micrometer.  I'll look back in the thread for the clearance measurement and see if I can determine it myself.

It's too bad I can't just order the whole assembly from you guys.  Then I could just have my handguard cut back as needed for clearance.

You guys mentioned that there might be outside gunsmiths qualified to do the install.

What would it take to get qualified to do that work myself?

ETA:

Quoted:
[snip]the clearance needed for our system to fit under a particular rail is .270" from top of the barrel to the bottom of the interior opening. (the inside of the rail). The opening must also be .375" diameter in width.[snip]

Quoted:
[snip]for now we are going to stay with the .750 barrel diameter[snip]

Am I safe assuming the .270 measurement is off of a .750 (Bull) barrel?
Link Posted: 3/31/2008 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Is there any word on if the system works on the old Troy rails yet?
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top