User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Vandal- you should be able to hold your upper in between your knees while sitting on your shins with your rifle pointed through and out behind you.  you should be able to use your left hand to push down (what would normally be up) on the grip and then tap the backstrap of the grip with the palm of your right hand to make sure it is seated.  if it is your PWA lower, then you have a reason to buy another lower.  then unfortunately, you will then have a reason to build a whole new gun.  p.s.- get your selector, detent and spring in correctly before whacking your fist against your grip.  

I can get it to seat correctly without the screw in, but when it is seated correctly the screw hole is partially covered by the grip. I think I'm going to enlongate the hole to get the grip to seat correctly when the screw is in, then fill the hole with loctite and re-drill it.
Getting another lower is not an option since I'm in CA. I'm stuck with the lower I have so I am going to make it work somehow.

Is the setscrew used for the front of the plastic triggerguard as well? There are no threads in that hole -- will it self-tap?
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Howard Dean voice: Yeeeehaaa!
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135MIAD4-med.jpg
-and 9 days BEFORE Christmas!!!!
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135MIAD3-med.jpg
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135MIAD2-med.jpg
www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135MIAD1-med.jpg
This is the first setup:  The A1 grip: c. 2005

Verrrrrry cooool Richard. Thanx...
•more pix 2 come•

hey, not to go off topic but what is that little "strap" on your lower that seems to go from the trigger pin to the pin just up and forward to the other pin?? sory but i have not seen this before.. thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
anti roll pins is what they are.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
KNS anti-walk, anti-rotating pins.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rich, couple of quick questions:

What is the frontstrap marked F3 used for?
What is the thread size on the front hole in the aluminum trigger guard (I think it's a 4-32)?
Does the frontstrap with the molded in trigger guard need to be attached to the lower receiver at the front hole? If so, how does it attach (screw, spring & pin from old trigger guard, etc.)?

Thanks!

M590man

The front strap F3 is to allow the grip to be used as a stand alone unit like a vertical grip or other applications like a handheld bomb material dector. Let me find out details on the front hole TG

Rich,
any word on how to attach the fixed trigger guard? do we need to get another set screw?
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#6]
JoeR;
good stuff. no complaints about that gap.. I don't even feel it when I hold it.
just posting pics to show what it looks like
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Houston (Magpul), I have a problem.

With the MIAD installed on my early PWA receiver I have a large gap between the front of the grip and the rear of the trigger guard. It presents a fairly significant cosmetic problem.

I experimented with both textured and non-textured grips, and with the trigger guard frontstrap and a plain frontstrap, without improvement. It appears the location of the screw hole in the MIAD is not right.

I also tried the MIAD on a more recently manufactured PWA lower with the same results.

I then tried my SECOND set of MIADs (I ordered two black which came today and one OD which hasn't arrived yet.) Same results. I have not had any gap problems with the grips I've had on it before. (Ergo grip.)

Also, on the triggerguard frontstrap, is there supposed to be a spring and pin that secures the front of the triggerguard? The old spring and pin from the original trigger guard do not fit, and the plastic triggerguard is not tapped for the included setscrew.

Here's a pic the MIAD installed. This grip feels great! I've been waiting for a decent AR grip for years!

contentproviders.com/images/miad_installed.jpg

Here's the gap -- eww, cosmetic glitch! SO CLOSE to perfection!

contentproviders.com/images/miad_gap.jpg

And here's why there's a gap. This picture snapped with the grip pushed forward and the gap eliminated.

contentproviders.com/images/miad_offcenter.jpg

EWW,COSMETIC, what is this a fashon contest
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]

A PDF file is NOT a CAD template.  think before you speak.  last time i checked, CNC machines do not work with adobe acrobat or windows XP.

Maybe you should read more closely and only speak of what you know...

I have a CNC machine that I built that uses Mach2 control software that was DESIGNED for Windows XP and works perfectly.

And I asked for a CAD file not PDF! That was the point! But, on the other hand, Mach2 will also read a bitmap and WILL cut a path based on the image data. It will even do it with photographs. But what I want to do is run accurate vector geometry through Sheetcam to generate correct toolpaths with tool offsets.

Before you tell someone else to think before you speak, you should know what you are talking about first.

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Before you tell someone else to think before you speak, you should know what you are talking about first.

Good.  I was wrong and because your CNC machine can use XP and bitmaps, take the PDF and shove it up your ass.  I guess you are stuck with it.  

Sorry I tried to clarify the difference between a CAD file and a PDF.  

I use CAD EVERY day!.  I guess since I don't have a CNC machine that uses XP, I should have just shut up and ignored your post.  

Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]

EWW,COSMETIC, what is this a fashon contest

Turns out it's a little more than cosmetic. The gap causes the plastic triggerguard/frontstrap to not line up with the front triggerguard hole.

I am attempting to Epoxy the hole and re-drill and countersink the hole. About 12 more hours on the Epoxy...

Fortunately I ordered two black grips and one green. The green is the one I want to put on the gun so thanks to Richard I have five grips to experiment with.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Got my coyote MIAD grips the other day... love the Magpul Coyote color - just the right hue to look green on a green background and brown on a brown background.

The grips are tight - very tight. In fact, I put the MIAD together without the roll pin thinking I would just try the different backstraps a bit before inserting the roll pin. I ended up having to bang the thing on the fireplace (where it accounted for itself well on the brick) and pry it open with an allen wrench through the roll pin hole to get the backstrap off. Very solid. I don't have too many worries of this disassembling itself under use.

It is definitely a big bundle of gear. So far I think I like the textured version better than the non-skid tape version; but I haven't had a chance to add the non-skid tape into the inserts yet so that is just first impressions.

I compared the MIAD to my favorite grip (the SPR grip aka Sierra Precision grip). With the arched backstrap installed, the MIAD actually positions the finger a little better than the SPR grip does and works equally well right or left handed. However, it just didn't feel quite as comfortable in my hand as it lacked the palm swell of the SPR grip.

I don't feel disappointed with the MIAD grip at all; but I think the SPR will remain my favorite for the time being. I'll replace one of my Hogue-gripped guns with the MIAD and give it a little work out to see if I warm up to it with use. I like the storage aspect of the MIAD... I wish someone would make that for the SPR - as cavernous as that thing is you could store food and water in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice job Richard, thank you!

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got my Black set. Very cool!

Thanks Rich.

Sua Sponte

rgrprib
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got from a business trip and found my MIAD sitting on my doorstep.  Rich even followed me as I sold my house and moved - that is customer service.

Two questions:
1)  What are the rubber plugs marked "spent" for.  I have two of them.
2)  Was there a small backstrap made that was textured?  I got a small, medium, and large smooth grip-tape backstrap, but only the medium and large textured.

I've not had much chance to experiment, but I like what I've seen thus far.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I just got from a business trip and found my MIAD sitting on my doorstep.  Rich even followed me as I sold my house and moved - that is customer service.

Two questions:
1)  What are the rubber plugs marked "spent" for.  I have two of them.
2)  Was there a small backstrap made that was textured?  I got a small, medium, and large smooth grip-tape backstrap, but only the medium and large textured.

I've not had much chance to experiment, but I like what I've seen thus far.

The "SPENT" plug is for plugging the AA battery grip plug.  Insert your AA batteries (or AAA battery adapter and AAA batteries) and use the rubber "SPENT" piece to plug the top of the insert.  The other rbber piece is for plugging the CR123 insert.  There is also a third rubber piece that is used to hold 3 cartridges in the empty insert.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hey zak what king of scope is on the first one??

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M1 on the Larue SPR mount.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm so old school. I still have a bunch of these grip adapters laying around. They were like $9 from Brownells and screwed onto the back of an A2 grip. Is the Magpul an improvement?

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm so old school. I still have a bunch of these grip adapters laying around. They were like $9 from Brownells and screwed onto the back of an A2 grip. Is the Magpul an improvement?

www.picvault.info/images/22271_grip%20adapter.jpg

I have never used that device, but I would say the Magpul is an improvement.  It offers storage and more customization.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Holy crap, that thing looks like it came over on the Mayflower.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#22]
What I like about my MIAD grip is that they have the thickness of the standard GI grip, with the ergonomic benefits of my old Ergo grip.

I may have to re-name my child after Rich....
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Anyone else cut the shit out of their fingers trying to find their favorite configuration?  Damn these things are sharp!

Yeah, they are a little "edgy," aren't they?

Get some emory cloth and rub down the sharp edges. It makes it a lot easier on the hands.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone else cut the shit out of their fingers trying to find their favorite configuration?  Damn these things are sharp!

Yeah, they are a little "edgy," aren't they?

Get some emory cloth and rub down the sharp edges. It makes it a lot easier on the hands.

It wasn't so much that they are sharp (though they are) but that they are so damn virgin tight.  I managed to shoot more than one of the back straps accross the room playing with my two grips.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Gap problem solved. Rather than do the epoxy thing which might be more elegant, I found a washer with the right radius to fill the space between my relocated hole and the front of the grip. Screwed it down tight and this sucker's not budging.

Now my only problem is that I didn't receive a smoothe B3 grip with the OD kit that arrived today.

Link Posted: 12/18/2004 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks to Rich, I just put TWO new grips on  two of my AR's.  I like the textured grip, but the 3M non-slip seems a bit much.  Maybe it'll wear through time.  

I  had an alignment issue with the "built  in" trigger guard front strap with my Bushy receiver. It didn't seem to be long enough and had to give it a little persuasion. I think I'll just put on one of the other ones that Rich so graciously included with the package.

Overall I'm very pleased with the MIAD grip system. The biggest problem I have is deciding what is the best configuration for me.   Thanks again Rich & MAGPUL

Sua Sponte

rgrprib

"We the Willing, Led by the Unknowing, Do what is Necesary, For the Ungrateful."
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I actually bought one those POS at a funshow back in the day.  It was so fugly I had to stretch a Hogue "rubber" over the whole mess.  That was even worse.  Did it enlarge the grip? Yes.  Will a Yugo get you to the grocery store? Yes. (well maybe not every time)  Is the MIAD a better solution? IMHO Yes.  Would you rather go to the grocery store in a Mercedes?  IMHO Yes.  YMMV  

The great thing about America is that no one is forced to buy any accessory for their AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to offer a little constructive criticism on the grip.  First, I'd like to say thank you for designing the new trigger guard.  I didn't even realize how much I dislike the stock stright trigger guard until I put on the new one!  That is definitely a huge ergonomic improvement and it looks good too.  Now, have a close look at all of the grip photos so far...the backstraps all leave a noticeable gap at the top of the grip where the backstrap and grip meet the lower.  Mine are all this way too, so another picture is not necessary.  The grip is not loose, and this is purely a cosmetic thing.  But if there is a way to get the parts to mate up perfectly along the backstrap you should do it!  The note included with the grips indicates that the textured panels are not 100%.  That's right.  The textured panels are actually MORE slippery than the blank panels at this point.  I believe most customers would be happy to cut out their own non-slip tape panels to customize their grips.  So the textured panels may not be a necessary offering.  Once again, thanks for offering these new design concepts to the community.  I absolutely love my followers and the new trigger guard!
-WhiteFox
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#30]
the gap between the lower and the extra beef on the two larger backstraps can't be avoided- in order for them to lie flush over the rounded edges, they'd have to slowly feather down to nothing in just the right spots.  he could have made them do that, but the edge along there would have been sharp and the edge would get banged up anyway. then, you'd have a very uneven gap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#31]
After screwing on your grip body, can you guys change your backstrap without removing the grip?  I can't slide the backstrap up enough to lock in.

I also have the gap with the B2 strap.  The B3 strap seems to fit better, but neither will lock in once the grip is screwed down.  I trimmed the B3 a little at the top and now if I wack it , it will lock in.

I don't find the small gap to be a problem.  What I do feel needs addressing (even though I don't think anyone mentioned it, so maybe it's just me) is the  sharpness of the transition between the textured area and the rest of the grip.  Even with the one that's pre-texured, it has a sharp edge.  Actually upon closer inspection it looks like there may be a bit of mold flashing on that edge.

Other than that, it's tons better feel than the one I took off.  All I need to do is get something to drift the trigger guard pin out so I can put the new one in.

-Mike

Edit:  Couple other things... I got two bolt/pin holders.  I think one should of been a CR123?  I was trying to figure out what this round rubber plug was for and it was driving me nuts.  Not a big deal, I have no need for the CR123 insert.

I don't know why people are having trouble with the trigger guard.  On my DPMS, I pushed the pin on the front of the guard in, this allows the guard to swing down.  Then drift the rear roll pin out.  I used one of the thin roll pins that came with the grip kit to drift it out.  Insert the new guard in, and drift the new pin in into the rear hole (the one that came with the guard).  Then swing it up and insert the set screw (also came with guard) onto the  front hole. Screw it in until it's flush with a 1/16" allen key.  The guard is alreay tapped with for the set screw.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree with Whitefox's statement.  The gap between the receiver and the grip is there, doesn't bother me much.  I've had to grasp the grip much harder when I do a mag change because it doesn't offer as much friction as the A2 grip, I'm sure in time these little things will be addressed.  Also being in the pre order, I'm aware I may not be getting the final product that may include all improvements, so like Whitefox, this is not a complain, we in the pre order can help Rich make this wonderful product even better
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I like the textured grip supplied.  I'm a programmer, not an iron worker so I don't want it too abrasive..

I took care of the sharp transition by just dragging a razor over the area.  (Not cutting, but scraping).  Feels real good now.  Excellent work.

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good.  I was wrong and because your CNC machine can use XP and bitmaps, take the PDF and shove it up your ass.  I guess you are stuck with it.  

Sorry I tried to clarify the difference between a CAD file and a PDF.  

I use CAD EVERY day!.  I guess since I don't have a CNC machine that uses XP, I should have just shut up and ignored your post.  

Maybe next time.

You are a very rude person. I wonder if you are this way in person or if the cover of the net lets you be this big of a jerk.

Oh, and a PDF can include CAD accurate Vector based geometry, after looking closely at the PDF file provided by Magpul, it appears to be vector geometry. I would rather use a DXF file if one is available.
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Oh, and a PDF can include CAD accurate Vector based geometry, after looking closely at the PDF file provided by Magpul, it appears to be vector geometry. I would rather use a DXF file if one is available.

I used an exacto knife, scissors and a straight edge... is that wrong?
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The front strap F3 is to allow the grip to be used as a stand alone unit like a vertical grip or other applications like a handheld bomb material dector. Let me find out details on the front hole TG.

Hi Rich,

Any info on the thread yet?

Thanks!

M590man
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#39]
still watting on a 1/3 of my order :-(

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]

My grips still haven't showed up yet, and I ordered in mid September!

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
installed one grip on my colt ar15-a3  looks good.

grip was tight to put on.

the b2 and b3 grips need to be tapped with a mallet (8 oz brass) to get them to lock.

the curveature of the grips match on the sides, but there is a small gap on the read of the grips where it mates the lower.

did not install the al tg. I am watting on a set of roll pin punches.

My saftey seams easier to use. meaning its not as postive as before. this can be 2 things one your hole in the grip is a nats ass deaper, or it has to do with the tetra grease i used on the detent and saftey.

i have a slight and i mean slight  sticking out of the b3 on the right side in comparrison to the grip. only in the area near the roll pin and above. I installed the roll pin from the left side so this may have something to do with it.

this grip fits my hand much better than the factory a2 grip.

I would buy these agian.

p.s. still watting on  one order. I recived order no. 2055, but have yet to recive order no.  2048
all grips were the same color black, any ideas where it is?

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Duffy, what kind of Laser is that on your forend?  And is that rubber looking thing hanging down to the side some sort of activation switch?  I've never seen anything like it, it's pretty cool!  Nice M4gery by the way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap, that thing looks like it came over on the Mayflower.

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#44]
HERE IS MINE:

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#45]
That grip is awesome... I gotta have one. Exit G27, enter Magpul.

MN
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Go to the magpul website. They are now for sale!

Sua Sponte,

rgrprib
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#47]
sounds like i going to have to make a phone call my emails and posts hear were not answered.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#48]
This may sound stupid, but what is the advantage of a magpul grip?
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#49]
user adjustable grip for your hand and the abilty to cary spare battery aa or cr123 or a spare bolt or 3 extra rounds.

the stock ar grip fits a small % of the population correctly.

Apes like me need a big grip.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#50]
my is not as good as what everyone is posting. its not as bad as PWA (i think) lower. small gap on the bottom, but its all liveable.

I can proberly tweak the grip to get it to fit tighter.  If i was  real anal about it.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top