AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread!  Live again!!

1911 done in grey GK.

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How about pictures of firearms refinished in GK dark earth brown?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Krylon

Krylon

Norrell's
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a pic of something done in Duracoat coyote? I've got some sitting here waiting for next weekend but I just wanted to see what the finished product looks like

I'll try to get some pics this weekend of my latest project and post them for you.  It's almost complete, just missing a barrel due to the Giffmann group buy deal.  But every thing else is ready to go (coating the Magpul tomorrow).

I gotta figure this camera out, the pic looks crappy, but here it is (Duracoat's coyote brown)

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done some camo work,also  used brownells bake on paints on a few of my 1911s.
Here a 15 minute paint job on my field rifle/carbine I  should say.

TG
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone have a pic of something done in Duracoat coyote? I've got some sitting here waiting for next weekend but I just wanted to see what the finished product looks like

I'll try to get some pics this weekend of my latest project and post them for you.  It's almost complete, just missing a barrel due to the Giffmann group buy deal.  But every thing else is ready to go (coating the Magpul tomorrow).

I gotta figure this camera out, the pic looks crappy, but here it is (Duracoat's coyote brown)

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/9sigman45/Picture.jpg

Maybe this one's a little better?

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Done with brownell's bake-on Teflon/Moly (dark Park gray). This is just after it was reassembled.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. Looks good How close is it to the Magpul coyote? It looks like it almost matches in both of your pics, but in another pic somebody posted it looked a couple shades lighter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Zardoz,

How did you like that stuff?  Was it easy to use?  With dealer discount its dirt cheap.

- G
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe this one's a little better?

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/9sigman45/Picture001.jpg

That rifle looks hot!

-G
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quick question for Gazukull. Where did you get that helmet pictured in the very first picture of the thread?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's a better pic in better light showing how flat the tan is.  It still has oil coming from everywhere and you can see some if you look real close, but a couple of range trips caused alot of it to come out.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks. Looks good How close is it to the Magpul coyote? It looks like it almost matches in both of your pics, but in another pic somebody posted it looked a couple shades lighter.

It' didn't match the Magpul at all.  The Magpul was much lighter, more of a tan.  Now it's a perfect match!  I sprayed it yesterday.  Now if I only had a barrel.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It' didn't match the Magpul at all.  The Magpul was much lighter, more of a tan.  Now it's a perfect match!  I sprayed it yesterday.  Now if I only had a barrel.....

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be spraying my Magpul too
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quick question for Gazukull. Where did you get that helmet pictured in the very first picture of the thread?

Actually, a pawn shop.  While in the army, you will notice that your fellow soldiers will pawn anything.  So, I just picked up an extra one for inspections and what not.  Pawn shops near any military intallation usually have the good shiz.

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I need a better pic. But this one's had the hell beat out of it and is still going strong.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like the bottom one steve-oh!

-G
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Zardoz,

How did you like that stuff?  Was it easy to use?  With dealer discount its dirt cheap.

- G

Sorry I didn't replay sooner...

Anyway, the stuff is ridiculously easy to work with; once the part is degreased & prepped, you simply spray it on, and after it dries to the point where you can grab it (about 20 minutes or so), you stick the parts in the oven @ 300 for 30 minutes. Let it cool, and you're ready to go. One thing, though: Cover any holes such as for the selector, etc. The stuff goes on thick enough that it will make it impossible to reinstall it. Oh yeah...the stuff stinks up the whole damned house while you are spraying, so you may want to do that outside, or in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#19]
removed post...sorry wrong thread
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zardoz,

- G

Sorry I didn't replay sooner...

Anyway, the stuff is ridiculously easy to work with; once the part is degreased & prepped, you simply spray it on, and after it dries to the point where you can grab it (about 20 minutes or so), you stick the parts in the oven @ 300 for 30 minutes. Let it cool, and you're ready to go. One thing, though: Cover any holes such as for the selector, etc. The stuff goes on thick enough that it will make it impossible to reinstall it. Oh yeah...the stuff stinks up the whole damned house while you are spraying, so you may want to do that outside, or in the garage.

Preheat your surface and it will dry as the paint hits the metal.  This reduces sags, drips, and gloss areas.  I use a hairdryer to preheat everything (including plastics), and it works fine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag.  Think I'll be taking the plunge soon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are three of mine...I wish I was a better fotographur. I need to come up with some Pro backgrounds like some of you guys...

Here's a S&W 22A I did:

All Norrell's. If you've been thinking about doing it, and are afraid you'll screw it up...take the plunge! It's amazingly easy, and forgiving.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
You have the bug pretty bad, don't you?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#24]
And it's all your fault!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Yah,

The moly res bug hit me fairly hard too.  I moly resed my fricken keys....

Thanks Stickman :D

- G
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#26]
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!
After I get done with the keys, I'm going to do my chainsaw...then the lawn mower...then the cat...

I love this crap!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't want to be that guy... but... bump...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In an attempt to keep this thread alive, here is a 40 yr old 1911 redone in GK Grey.

img115.echo.cx/img115/8080/191114reload5gl.jpg

I know there are more refinished fire arms here :D

- Gazukull

Fine!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2005 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
XD-9 Sub done in GK grey.  The GK seems to hold up well.

img237.echo.cx/img237/674/21xdsub184tf.jpg

- Gazukull

Damn!  F*CK the Springfield, who painted your nails!!!!  

You can bake Duracoat to speed up the curing.

What I have found out that Should NOT be done with duracoat that is done with other types like Norrell's is baking beforehand to get the solvent to Flash off of the surface immediately.  When sprayed on, the solvent should sit for 15 minutes before it totally evaporates.  And, as I suspected before, Acetone is not the ideal solvent/thinner for Duracoat.  The ideal solvent has it's own special name even though it's a mixture of Toluene, Ethyl acetate and one other...

I haven't heard of Duracoat NOT working when the solvent is flashed off too quickly, but the company who developed it suggests otherwise.  Also, the 1:12 hardener to color that LCW states is a little bit different than the 1:4 that is suggested.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Green XD in Green GK.

Word.

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I just finished my first Duracoat job a little while ago

Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Why are 80% of the weapons in the "Refinished AR Picture Thread" not ARs?  Crazy!
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
It's because ARs come purdy.  Other weapons have to use makeup...

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's my '73 SP-1 that I refinished in Alumahyde II. The color is the dark parkerizing gray and it went on real well. It took a few days to dry before I could handle it, but once it started to cure I felt safe putting it back together. I also replaced the original Colt handguards with a set of carbine guards because I don't like the wide feel of them and added an E-1 sight adjusting drum from Bushmaster.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Thread Relives... after many happy long time!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been pimpin' this updated pic all over.  Everybody seems to like it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#38]
If everyone is happy, that makes you a good pimp.....  
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
If everyone is happy, that makes you a good pimp.....  

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#41]
tagged
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#42]
looks very nice great work....looks Wilson combatish.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Done with brownell's bake-on Teflon/Moly (dark Park gray). This is just after it was reassembled.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=38461

who makes that Eotech riser?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#44]
very nice
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think thats the YHM...  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think thats the YHM...  

It is YHM but it is not an Eotech Riser.  It's a 1/2" riser and extender for scope mounts or rings.  1/2" has usually been way too high for an Eotech riser.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#47]
TAG.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#48]
tagaroni

HS1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Less tagging, more pictures........

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's one I did with aluma-hyde for a friend of mine.  I call it dragon stripe.

I prefere KG gunkote as it is faster (not having to wait a couple of weeks) for it to cure.  Just spray, bake and in 3 hours I'm done.  See the top of page 2 of this thread.  But in this case, I couldn't fit the thing in my oven.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top