BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#1]
So is there a conclusion? Is the Aimpoint clone better? Or is the UAG Eotech clone better? Both seem like good options if your wallet is hurting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I just read the entire thread.
I have a ML3, and have the Larue Po-boy Combo.

I have been curious as to the increase in magnification, and the opinion held by many who have seen both is that the difference is no negligible.

However, the Aimpoint 3x has W/E adjustments to prevent the dot from being thrown out of the center of the optic, which has been a problem for some users of the clone mags as posted above.  I don't imagine that the clones have the ability to adjust W/E to put the dot where it should be- can anyone verify this?

Also, if anyone who has purchased, and is happy with their clone mag and wouldn't mind briefly re-stating the fact that they are satisfied with their magnifier, the name/manufacturer/type, etc and where to find it, I for one would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
However, the Aimpoint 3x has W/E adjustments to prevent the dot from being thrown out of the center of the optic, which has been a problem for some users of the clone mags as posted above.  I don't imagine that the clones have the ability to adjust W/E to put the dot where it should be- can anyone verify this?

Also, if anyone who has purchased, and is happy with their clone mag and wouldn't mind briefly re-stating the fact that they are satisfied with their magnifier, the name/manufacturer/type, etc and where to find it, I for one would appreciate it.

I purchased the Real Recoil version on the Aimpoint and it has W/E adjustment.  Looks good so far but final review is reserved until after range time.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just read the entire thread.
I have a ML3, and have the Larue Po-boy Combo.

I have been curious as to the increase in magnification, and the opinion held by many who have seen both is that the difference is no negligible.

I have the Po-Boy combo from LaRue, but I was interested in the clone Aimpoint mag just because of the little cost of one. The clone I picked up off has W/E adjustment and is very noticeably higher in magnification than the Hensoldt unit, and just as clear and bright. If the Aimclone is truly 3x then there I don't see how the Hensoldt can be 2.5x as the difference is night and day in mag power.

I'll get pics up sooner or later of the view through both.

I'm not one to put airsoft stuff on real rifles, but the LaRue flip w/ Aimpoint clone is a killer setup and a helluva deal IMO.

Guy I got the clone through at ebay

K
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]

BTW, Nice setup you got there.

Look at THIS picture and you will notice its slightly blurred at the top.  I know mine is,  I'm wondering if I got the wrong mount, but I doubt it cause LaRue already confirmed I have the Short version.  

Mine has a slight bit of blurry at the top when looking through it due to the pivot mount being too high so when you look through it you catch a little bit of the upper hood of the EOTech.  you don't have that problem?

Thanks for the compliment too
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Look at THIS picture and you will notice its slightly blurred at the top.  I know mine is,  I'm wondering if I got the wrong mount, but I doubt it cause LaRue already confirmed I have the Short version.  

Mine has a slight bit of blurry at the top when looking through it due to the pivot mount being too high so when you look through it you catch a little bit of the upper hood of the EOTech.  you don't have that problem?

I double checked and that blur is a camera picture imperfection.  I don't have a blurry spot. Dunno man
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I double checked and that blur is a camera picture imperfection.  I don't have a blurry spot. Dunno man

I'm running a 512 with the LT-649S (S meaning Short Version)  I contacted LaRue and they told me that I had the short version. They told me to check for a stamp and I checked the spot on the mount where there was supposed to be a stamped number and I got the right version according to the stamp.  

So do you think I got the wrong one???
Is is possible that its a manufacture error?  

Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So all in all...where or who sells the best Aimpoint clones? I think i'd like to get one and find a Larue mount. Seems like a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 1:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
My UAG clone would not clear the rear sight or cowitness until I added a standard Aimpoint spacer.  I have used it for several hundred rounds, and it has not given me any problems.
Link Posted: 4/21/2008 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I finally broke down and got one of the Aimpoint clones from this guy on ebay. Price seemed  to be good, and it looks like most of the Aimpoint clones are identical, and it was the Eoclones that needed to be watched out for. So i took the plunge, I just hope it actually makes it here from *Hong Kong*. If it works and is pretty decent quality, I am going to get one of the Larue mounts for it. So hopefully this will be a good purchase!
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the aimpoint clones with the QD twist off mount.  Will this mount line up with the Cantilever Scope Mount that comes with the SPOT Mark III?  Will I have any issues or am I ready to go? I am wanting to mount this on a flat top.
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how that turns out blackbird. Im curious if it will have the screws to center the dot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I finally tested out my aimpoint clone and 3x magnifier clone.  They both worked perfectly.  The aimpoint required no adjustments after putting it on the ar-15 and the magnifier put the red dot right in the center, so that required no adjustment either.  For around $100, I got equipment that looks like the real stuff, and works well enough to pass until I can afford the real stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 6:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased the Aimpoint clone on eBay (the real recoil version $119) and it ran no problems on my 7.62x39 upper in semi and full auto.  I would have to agree that the magnification is much greater than the Hensoldt, probably closer to 4x than 3x.
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I finally tested out my aimpoint clone and 3x magnifier clone.  They both worked perfectly.  The aimpoint required no adjustments after putting it on the ar-15 and the magnifier put the red dot right in the center, so that required no adjustment either.  For around $100, I got equipment that looks like the real stuff, and works well enough to pass until I can afford the real stuff.

Hey, I see that you got the aimpoint clone and are happy with it for now, thats what I am wanting to do right now just for plinking and such, I looked at that websight but there were like 7-8 different aimpoint clones with different mounts, can you tell me which aimpoint clone and mount combo you got? and did you get the twist off mount with the 3x mag?? or the actual number that used to order it would be GREAT....

there were some that said aimpoint clone, some G&P clone, and the some the NEW aimpoint clone, with quick detach mount, cantelever mount, etc.....I'm so confused
I am planning on changing to a REAL eotech keeping the 3x with larue flip mount in 3-4 months, but want something right now just to play with .....thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Hey, I see that you got the aimpoint clone and are happy with it for now, thats what I am wanting to do right now just for plinking and such, I looked at that websight but there were like 7-8 different aimpoint clones with different mounts, can you tell me which aimpoint clone and mount combo you got? and did you get the twist off mount with the 3x mag?? or the actual number that used to order it would be GREAT....

there were some that said aimpoint clone, some G&P clone, and the some the NEW aimpoint clone, with quick detach mount, cantelever mount, etc.....I'm so confusedhanging

This is what I got

http://www.airsoftvanguard.com/index.php?p=6&id=154&new=&cat2=0&cat1=19&cat0=12&s=706e4544818b9f785edf8955a1af4b23&lang=en

and

http://www.airsoftvanguard.com/index.php?p=6&id=554&new=&cat2=0&cat1=18&cat0=12&s=706e4544818b9f785edf8955a1af4b23&lang=en

I am happy with both as they do what I want without costing me $1,000.  When I have more cash I will upgrade to real stuff, but for shooting at paper targets once every other month, this works perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey, I hate to be a PITA, but when I copied and pasted the link, it just took me to the home page,and said the page was expired.....

if its not too much trouble, can you get the order numbers?
I just would like to get the right stuff the first time, thanks a million!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry about that, I tried the link before I posted and it worked for me.....

RS-021 and  Code: RD-009
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well I finally broke down and got one of the Aimpoint clones from this guy on ebay. Price seemed  to be good, and it looks like most of the Aimpoint clones are identical, and it was the Eoclones that needed to be watched out for. So i took the plunge, I just hope it actually makes it here from *Hong Kong*. If it works and is pretty decent quality, I am going to get one of the Larue mounts for it. So hopefully this will be a good purchase!

I purchased one from him. Great piece of equipment regardless of price...Order was shipped & received promptly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Real Recoil Aimpoint-forgery on LaRue mount.  Eotech, magnifier, and 40L BUIS all mounted to ARMS Swan rail.  No complaints!

Link Posted: 4/28/2008 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine just came in.  The glass on the forward part of it has a couple of small sand-sized scratches.  It doesn't seem to make a difference but I still would have preferred perfect.   Came a little oily too.

I still need to buy a QRP spacer to bring it up to cowitness height.....that is....if I choose to keep using that somewhat wiggly mount.  Cheapest I can find that spacer is 16 shipped.  I can't decide between sticking with that or getting the larue LT649.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sorry about that, I tried the link before I posted and it worked for me.....

RS-021 and  Code: RD-009

HEHE, I couldnt wait any more and ordered it last week .....well to be truthful, I put them in my cart and hit the "buy" button, thinking I would see the shipping charges, instead, I actually bought them, didnt know shipping was included

but I did get lucky.......same order numbers

I'm a happy camper!!!!!should be here first of next week
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok i just got min in the mail today. Let me tell ya, they did a great job cloning it! All the way down to the aim point manual. My only complaint is that my MI rear site won't fit under it, the eye relief is something to get used to do. Other than that, a very solid product. I don't see how much the real one could be different for a $320.00 more. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask. BTW, i'm taking to the range this weekend weather depending to test it out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Guess what guys? there's a new 5x magnifier clone out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Damn.. but how's the eye relief?  It's gotta be way short considering the 3x is already short.  Who's selling these?
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#27]
ETA:  Late night.  Here's the link I'm looking at.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350047421477

ETA:  ETA:  Took a chance for about $40 shipped...we'll see...
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn.. but how's the eye relief?  It's gotta be way short considering the 3x is already short.  Who's selling these?

the eye relief claims to be the same as the  real 3x from eothech, 1.65"

5x magnifier
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the eye relief claims to be the same as the  real 3x from eothech, 1.65"

5x magnifier

That looks exactly like their previous EOTech 3X magnifier clone and that's a shame.  With that shape, it won't fit in the LaRue 30mm pivot mount.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#30]
1.5" of eye relife was just not enough IMO.  not only is the aimpoint mag over 1" longer but is much more forgive as you back out of the sweet spot.  you can have decent sight picture at 3"-3.5".  the clone I had was almost nothing at 2"

I have not tried the aimpoint clone yet.  I like the real aimpoint enought even though It felt like prison rape when i bought it i will proably just run it.

anybody measure the actually eye relife with the aimpoint clone.  I did with the eotech clone at it was 1.5-1.75 and very hash dropoff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Got my clone mounted today (Aimpoint), I will have to fix the QR mount the same as jason, But I knew that going into the purchase, same as his, when I lock it in it doesnt give me enough adjustment for my Eotech

the only other thing is the eye relief, gonna take a little getting used to but I think it will be fine for what I am wanting, a little shorter than what I'm used to, but, all in all I say it is well worth the money, especially compared to the price of a real one...hell I just filled my truck up today and it was $135.00, it will be gone in a few days, at least  I'll have the scope awhile for half that much

Oh, and the clarity and magnification are GREAT in my opinion, I think I will invest in a flip mount sometime in the future,
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350047421477

Interesting....do you have a 3x to compare it to?

-Chris

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting....do you have a 3x to compare it to?

-Chris

Unfortunately no.  
I'll just have to examine it on its own.  
The mount looks like the same one everyone else has.  If this thing is crap I may get the UAG to put on this mount.
Still haven't received it yet.
We'll see...
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I just installed my Po'Boy with an Aimpoint and I don't like it at all.  I hate that I have to have my eye very close to it to use.  Are any of these clones suitable for a longer eye relief?  I see it's been mentioned, but it seems that they're all short at under two inches.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I just got the larue pivot mount for the aimpoint clone...does anybody find the need for a riser for the eotech? it seems that it doesn't align directly...like its a little bit too high.
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Seems I've got the same problem.  I've got the Larue Short Pivot with a Hendsoldt.  I have the top of my 512 in my field of view.  It's useable, but still bugs me.  I was thinking of buying their EOTECH mount to lift it a bit.  

Does anyone else have this issue?  What was your solution if any?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Does anyone else have this issue?  What was your solution if any?

I thought both the short LT649 and Eo 512 had a 1.5" centerline?
Link Posted: 5/15/2008 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#38]
It's not quite lined up.  The center of the EOTECH appears to be 1 1-2".  The center of the Pivot/Hensoldt combo appears to be 1 5/8".  That 1/8" brings the top of the inner structure of the EOTECH into view.  It's like looking at a letterbox movie view.  It's usable.  My measurement wasn't the most precise, but you can see a visible difference when looking through the front of the 512.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Will a Larue LT649 and the aimpoint magnifier clone clear a Arms #40?
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Will a Larue LT649 and the aimpoint magnifier clone clear a Arms #40?

I dunno but that what I got, you tell me?

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've got the Larue Short Pivot with a Hendsoldt.  I have the top of my 512 in my field of view.  It's useable, but still bugs me.

So can anyone confirm what the deal is with the short pivot not lining up with a cowitnessed EOtech?

I wanted to get the LT649 but this certainly has me on the fence.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I got the (short version) LT649, and I can use it just fine.  About 1/8th of the top portion when looking through the 3x is looking at the roof of the 512.  I contacted LaRue to see if i got the right deal and they confirmed that I did.  

It my understanding the the short version works perfectly with slightly taller EOTechs like the 553.  But you can still use mine and it doesn't really bother me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Munition,
 Thanks...Actually that answer confirms what I found with my 512, but also informs me about other differences between the 553 and 512. I imagine I can live with it the way it is vs. the cost of another riser or new 553.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#44]
yup, im in the same boat.  another riser is $120.  I can just deal I guess.  Maybe later I'll get a riser or something upgrade to a 516 or something.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Can you mount a 3X with an ACOG?
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I got the (short version) LT649, and I can use it just fine.  About 1/8th of the top portion when looking through the 3x is looking at the roof of the 512.  I contacted LaRue to see if i got the right deal and they confirmed that I did.  

It my understanding the the short version works perfectly with slightly taller EOTechs like the 553.  But you can still use mine and it doesn't really bother me.

I emailed Larue and they said the short version of the LT649 is 1.5" to centerline.  It should line up correctly with the 512.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Can you mount a 3X with an ACOG?

Nope.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Check it out guys ... a LaRue flip mount clone coming out in June FREE shipping for $23.50
http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?products_id=1350

One question ... anyone try that 5x magnifier yet? Is it true that it will not work on the Larue Flip mount? So if I understand correctly ONLY an AimPoint clone will work with the LaRue Flip Mount?

I'm thinking about getting a 3x or 5x for my Aimpoint clone and use it with the above mount ... just don't want to get the 5x and be disapointed to find that it won't work ... I don't see why it wouldn't

Here's the link to the 5x mag discussed earlier on this thread:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170216787797

This is the AimPoint clone I purchased ... $43.00 to my door including shipping!
http://www.scopeandlaser.com        Code: AP C NM
Don't let the picture in the link fool you, it's a bad pic. I have been extremely pleased with it. It was clean as a whistle, tip top shape, and functioned flawlessly. I got the 'NO Markings' version, I didn't see the need to have "AimPoint" on the side if it isn't the real deal.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes this looks like a great deal however after very little looking, I find that this is hecho en China thus belongs on a Norinko AK over there not an AR over here.  Keep in mind that alot of the cost of the Aimpoint is paying for the continuing R&D, paying American workers and contributing to our economy.  Every time we buy these knock off products we are devaluing the US dollar and helping another economically hostile country steal (yes, that is what it is) from fellow Americans.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#50]
6 pages and I am totally eff'n confused by you guys.

I like the AIMPOINT clone with the QD mount. Can someone send me a link to the one you bought and like.

I want it to work with an EOTECH 512.

Thanks
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top