Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the new Com Tac II's address a lot of the Com Tac's short comings.

www.aearo.com/pdf/comm/comtac2_full.pdf

They've added water proof battery compartments, and now have one battery in each cup, instead of both batteries on one side.  This should really help the cheek weld issue for lefties, like me.

Also, based on the info on the PDF noted above, they have changed their nosie suppression technology.  It now says that harmful or loud noises are now reduced to 82 dBA.  That sounds like they got rid of the clipping issue.

I hope to check out the Com Tac II's at SHOT, and maybe even get a pair.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, I thought the Sordins was going to be the end all but I cannot tolerate the low (18dB) suppression it provides.  I wear muffs so I don't have to wear ear plugs.  If there is a new generation of COMTACs then I'll look into those and hold onto my Pro-Ears until then.  Guests get to use my lesser Peltor6's (sound quality being the issue there for me)
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I used my new Sordins this weekend.  I gave my Peltor Tac6 to a friend.  There is no comparision.  The Sordins are a much better product.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wow, I thought the Sordins was going to be the end all but I cannot tolerate the low (18dB) suppression it provides.  I wear muffs so I don't have to wear ear plugs.  If there is a new generation of COMTACs then I'll look into those and hold onto my Pro-Ears until then.  Guests get to use my lesser Peltor6's (sound quality being the issue there for me)

Why not use the Sordins with foam plugs and turn them up to max?
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not use the Sordins with foam plugs and turn them up to max?

Quoted:
I wear muffs so I don't have to wear ear plugs.

Ear plugs are unconfortable for me, ear muffs too but far less.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What a great thread.  I've been thinking about electronics for a while and you all have provided some good information to start with.

Right now I wear both plugs and muffs.  The plugs are the standard EAR yellow 29db NRR and the muffs are either Remington brand 31db NRR (pistol) or Peltor's 21db shotgun model (rifle/shotgun - the Remingtons are too bulky & get in the way).  Together they make any day at the range a whole lot more pleasant - with the sacrifice being that I can't conduct a conversation with anyone since I can't hear anything.

I've read the posts above about the Sordins and the Peltors, and I guess I just don't understand the NRR system.    In that vein I have a few questions:
- For those of you who use electronic hearing protection, do you wear plugs under the muffs, or just the muffs?  I thought the whole point about electronics was that the muffs alone were sufficient.
- If the Sordins provide only 18db of noise reduction and the Peltors only 25db, does that mean that I'm better off with my current setup?  Assuming I'm willing to not hear anything else, of course.
- Isn't the goal of electronic hearing protection reduction of noise to a safe level?  Seems that a 130+ db gunshot, less either 18db or 25db, can still cause hearing damage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Your setup is far quieter than the electronic ones.  Even just your plugs or your Rem muffs by themselves would be quite a bit quieter than the Peltors or especially the Sordins by themselves.  The NRR/decibel numbers are logarithmic so things add up kinda strange.  Your doubled setup is nowhere near 50 or 60 dB.  Probably more like 31 or 33, but that still might sound twice as quiet.  (IIRC 3 dB is about 2x, 6 dB is 4x.)

I believe the electronic muffs are only as quiet as regular muffs with the same NRR.  Their benefit is that they can amplify quieter sounds so that you can hear things like conversation that you wouldn't hear with regular muffs.  Sort of like a muff that only works on loud stuff.

I think a lot of people who feel the need to use double protection--plugs & muffs--like the electronic ones for the muffs so they can still hear some things on the range.  I've never felt the need to double up and just wear plugs, either 29-31 dB foam ones or some 21 dB rubber ones similar to the GI issue ones.  But I shoot outside and don't have muzzle brakes or comps.  I have some cheap 25 dB muffs too, but they don't seal well around the glasses and tend to hit the stock on rifles so I've never considered electronic ones.  I usually use the 21 dB plugs and can hear range commands and stuff fairly well with them.

I think if you used electronics over your plugs you'd find that they sound about like your current setup, or maybe a little less quiet on the gunshots, and more like your plugs alone or even a little louder on conversation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Peltor Tactical 7's still going strong after 11 years, but suffereing from wear and tear.  I think they're discontinued now.  Had to buy new foam ear pads this year.  Someone broke the battery compartment cover.

Even though they still work fine I was looking at some Peltor Swat tacs, i think they look bad ass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
- For those of you who use electronic hearing protection, do you wear plugs under the muffs, or just the muffs?

I wear plugs under muffs and crank the volume on the muffs all the way up. I do this to get the benefit of having double protection whilst retaining the ability to hear normal conversation  

Quoted:
I thought the whole point about electronics was that the muffs alone were sufficient.

The main benefit of electronic muffs is the ability to hear normal conversation while retaining hearing protection to a certain degree. As to electronic muffs by themselves being sufficient, for me, they are not. I can say the same for most non-electronic muffs also. As I said in my reveiw of the Sordins, a Glock in .45 ACP was uncomfortable on my ears when I did not have plugs on underneath. Apparently, the slimmer the muff, the less protection it provides. You'll notice a lot of muffs are very thick (and will not fit under helmets) compared to the Com-Tac and the Sordins. The Peltor Tactical 7 is thick and offers great protection. I do not have a set, but, I'd guess that I would not need to wear plugs underneath them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm, I wasn't aware that plugs were needed on active muffs.  I'm normally ok with just plugs (howard leight I think?) using 12ga, .40 SW subguns, 5.56 and 7.62, but have been lurking topics on the Peltor/Sordin muffs with strong intent to buy.  I'd really rather be able to not double up on ear-pro, but don't want tympanic rupture secondary to burst fire indoors.

Can anybody give a thumbs up for either the Peltors or Sordins used with external input to something like a Motorola XTS 5000R?  Do the volume controls amplify inputs as well or are they held to whatever the input level is?  Anyone taken a deftec blast with actives on?  I'm assuming you're SOL if you are using a muff and have to get into a gas mask setup expediently, but I could easily be wrong.  

Resq47 sends
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
- For those of you who use electronic hearing protection, do you wear plugs under the muffs, or just the muffs?

I wear plugs under muffs and crank the volume on the muffs all the way up. I do this to get the benefit of having double protection whilst retaining the ability to hear normal conversation  

Quoted:
I thought the whole point about electronics was that the muffs alone were sufficient.

The main benefit of electronic muffs is the ability to hear normal conversation while retaining hearing protection to a certain degree. As to electronic muffs by themselves being sufficient, for me, they are not. I can say the same for most non-electronic muffs also. As I said in my reveiw of the Sordins, a Glock in .45 ACP was uncomfortable on my ears when I did not have plugs on underneath. Apparently, the slimmer the muff, the less protection it provides. You'll notice a lot of muffs are very thick (and will not fit under helmets) compared to the Com-Tac and the Sordins. The Peltor Tactical 7 is thick and offers great protection. I do not have a set, but, I'd guess that I would not need to wear plugs underneath them.

I will add that outdoors I will use the ProEars alone for pistol, but for rifle, shotgun and all indoor shooting I turn the volume all the way up and put in plugs just deep enough to keep them from falling out.  I can hear the RO commands and carry on a normal conversation .
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the great review!  Does any one have a similar review for the Com Tac 2?
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn parallel threads! I did a review of my Peltor Com Tacs over on the Armory page.  

BTW, I didn't mention it in the review, but I shoot long arms left-handed and I don't get any interference from my PCTs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
BTW for those of you who only use plugs, be very careful if at an indoor range, or if using a brake, as damage can still be done to hearing. not all sound enters through the ear canal, the little bones absorb sound from around the ears too, meaning that if your not wearing muffs, a loud enough sound can do damage.
I also have a pair of harbor freight cheapies, so far so good, of course I have never used nice ones so I can't really compare.
Link Posted: 1/20/2005 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Cabelas has the Peltors on half price! I bought 2.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I just noticed that Sportsman's Guide has some electronic muffs under their Guidegear label for $40.
The other items that they've marketed under the Guidegear label have been high quality.
Anybody tried the Guidegear muffs?
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#17]
oops
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So, Jarhead_22, have you received your Sordins and compared them to the ComTacs?  I'm on the lookout for people who have used both before I go and spend a couple hundred dollars on one of them.  

Alpine

Probably too late to help, but I just received my Sordins, after having them forwarded around the APO system for a while. I hope to get out to the range tomorrow to run them head to head, then I'll post my review.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Alpine
Link Posted: 1/22/2005 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Sordins are built better then ANY other Electronic Muffs I have ever seen.  They are by far the best

Pro-ears are my second favorite
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to another review!

I'm going back and forth between the ComTac II and the Sordins.  Can any of you guys with Sordins give any other info on how well they protect when turned off?  I too, am a little concerned about the 18 dB noise reduction rating.  Regardless of how well they perform when on, if they don't work as well when off, then they may give a false sense of security.

Chip
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Looking forward to another review!

I'm going back and forth between the ComTac II and the Sordins.  Can any of you guys with Sordins give any other info on how well they protect when turned off?  I too, am a little concerned about the 18 dB noise reduction rating.  Regardless of how well they perform when on, if they don't work as well when off, then they may give a false sense of security.

Chip

I'll try to get to the range soon and try 'em out.  Will be limited to an outdoor range, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks Florg!  I'll keep an eye out for your comments.

Thanks!

Chip
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If I am perefctly OK with my current 21 dB slim non electronic muffs will I be satisfied with the 18 dB Sordins?  I can shoot 10" non suppresed AR with no problems with 21 dB muffs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
DevL,

It's hard to say...

As metioned earlier in the thread (I think...) sound pressure level (SPL) is a logarithmic function, it makes the sound volume non-linear.  In other words, the difference between 15 dB and 18 dB is not proportional (linearly) to the difference between 18 dB and 21 dB.

/science man off/

Chip
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I didn't read any of this thread except for the title so here is what I think is the best electronic earmuff....

Peltor's at Triad Tactical
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
DevL,

It's hard to say...

As metioned earlier in the thread (I think...) sound pressure level (SPL) is a logarithmic function, it makes the sound volume non-linear.  In other words, the difference between 15 dB and 18 dB is not proportional (linearly) to the difference between 18 dB and 21 dB.

/science man off/

Chip

I thought 3 dB was the smallest difference a human could differentiate and 10db was twice as loud to a human ear.  I am wondering if I would even be able to tell a difference or if possibly manufacturers come to their figures by different means (continuous vs impulse or different frequency tested) and there may be no differnce at all.  I use Peltor Shotgunners right now and dont use plugs with no issue unless the stock pushes the muff.  My hearing damage is so bad the bolt closing on an AR15 is painfull in my right ear with no hearing protection.  Has anyone gone from Shotgunners to Sordins or compared them for comfort (audible)?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought 1 dB was the smallest a human could hear?  IIRC from ham radio and antenna gains 3 dB is 2x gain and 10 dB is 10x gain.  I'm not sure how that works with relative numbers though.  I don't think a 21 dB reduction is really twice as quiet as an 18 dB reduction.  The math is very non-intuitive.

I'm pretty sure the NRR rating is a government-specified test (probably OSHA) so they're tested the same way for all muffs.  I don't know if it's weighted to different frequency bands or not.  How the human ear/mind perceives the sound and how the intruments record it don't always match up, but two muffs that are both 21 dB rated should sound equally quiet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#29]

I got my peltor com tac II’s in last week.  I have not had a chance to really try them out yet but thought I would give my first impressions.  

Specs:
1 AA battery in each cup
270 hrs battery life
2-hour auto shutdown with warning
Waterproof battery housing
Suppresses noises >82 dBA
Amplifying (mic) 18 dB
MICH, PASGT and ACH helmet compatible
Advanced talk-thru electronics

Frequency       125     250      500      1000     2000     3150      4000      6300     8000
Attenuation     14.5    17.7     26.3     31.3      29.8      36.7       35.1      37.5      35.4

NNR 21

They have the same two-button interface as the original com tacs but the buttons are weather proofed with a one-peace cover.

There is a battery compartment on each side which gives approximately the same clearance as the right side of the com tac.  The covers come straight off and there is no dummy cord or other retention device.  This should not be a problem they fit very tight because of the waterproofing rings on the covers (I had to use a 5.56 case to pry them off).

The recovery time from a shut down seems to be very slow (couple of seconds to gradually getting up to nominal volume). I have not shot with them yet so I will say more latter.

Wombat
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems opinions so far are:

Peltor Com Tac    9
Sordin's               8
Pro Ears              5
Peltor Tac 6         4
Com Tac II          1
Peltor Swat Tacs   1

Hope to see more reviews on the Sordin's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Wombat:  Do those intefere with the cheekweld on an ar15?  I know it sounds good that there is one battery on each side but that picture looks like now the batteries are going to get in the way on both sides.
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been reading intently and looked up all the listed ear muffs.  Here's something that has been pretty much overlooked...price!  

I've been using disposable foamies for my IDPA matches, but it's a pain to remove one each time to hear the safety officer give a briefing on a stage.  I'm looking for a budget electronic muff to see if I like them at all before buying a high end set.   Are the $40-60 units worth trying out?  I can' t see how they'd be worse than foamie plugs.  If I get addicted to them and can't stand the cheapiness, I can buy a $200 pair and have the cheapies for a range guest.

So, who makes the best cheapies?
Link Posted: 2/3/2005 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Peltor Tac 6 on sale at Cabelas for $69.99, you can't beat that. Check with Several places for price matches and most places said it was over their cost.
Link Posted: 2/4/2005 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Tagalicious....

Great thread!
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 12:31:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Keep this thread going.  Need range reviews on the Sordin's, Com Tacs, Com Tac II's an Swat Tacs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#36]
My Pro-Ears are fragile when it comes to battery storage, but you
can't beat their sound reducing funtcion. If you ever think of using
your home defense Ar15 indoors, get muffs which reduce, but not
clip the sound- IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Updated numbers on opinions:

Peltor Com Tac 9
Sordin's 8
Pro Ears 6
Peltor Tac 6 4
Com Tac II 1
Peltor Swat Tacs 1

Hope to see more reviews.
Some range review Sordin's please.
Link Posted: 2/5/2005 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Sordin IMO.....Just spent a week at a close quarters shooting course and wore them for about 5-6 hours per day (under my kevlar helmet) couldn't be happier.  They are a little pricey but worth the $$.
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#39]
+1 for Com TacII's..........................................
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I just got my Comtac IIs, and I love them!  These are my first electronic muffs though, so I can't really compare them to anything else.  I really like the redesigned cups, as they allow me to get a better cheek weld on the left side than the original ComTac's.  I've got a PASGT helmet, so I'll try them both out together and see how they work together.

I bought mine from Botach for $208 shipped.  It took 4 weeks, and I bird-dogged the order pretty good.  Don't know if that helped or nor....
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Updated numbers on opinions:

Peltor Com Tac 9
Sordin's 9
Pro Ears 6
Peltor Tac 6 4
Com Tac II 3
Peltor Swat Tacs 1

Hope to see more reviews.
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw a pair of Browning electronic muffs at a gun store the other day.  They were solar powered.  Any one ever see one of these before?  Just curious...
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#43]
To use with your electric lawn mower right??
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#44]
haha  I'm not making a pronouncement on how awesome they were.  They caught my eye at the gunstore, and I was surprised by the priced.  Although it doesn't seem as bad after reading through this thread...

Here's the only reference I could find for them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Didn't mean to offend you.  Thought you were being a wise guy.  Never seen solar powered ear protection before.  I guess there is such a thing.  If it fills the bill then it's a good thing.  A lot of good info on this thread so far.  My old Peltors are now beyond repair and considerd KIA.  The 100 mph tape is a dead give away.  Am in need of a replacement.  Haven't decided what make, model to go with.  Wanted to consider all the options.  Solar powered is a new option.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2005 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#46]
No offense taken.  I thought it was funny.  Yeah, I really had no idea about the upper-end electronic muffs until I found this thread.  Oddly enough, I was searching for those Browning ones, because I thought they were so odd...
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I ordered SWATTac II's a few days ago.  I'll post a review once I try them out.
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/16/2005 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Okay, I'm heading to the indoor range today to try my new Sordin Supremes.  I'll post a report in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#50]
+1 for the Sordins!

These things are great!  I had my doubts, but they performed just as advertised.  I tried using them without the power on at first to get a good feel for how they knock done the sound levels, and it was comparable to any other type of hearing protection that I have tried.  I was shooting in an indoor range with about four other people.  I had a .45, the guy next to me had a .22, a couple of lanes down was a .40 and six lanes down was a .44 magnum (I think).

One thing interesting that I noticed is that when the .44 went off, and I had the amplifier on, it was slightly uncomfortable.  I turned the earmuffs off, and the .44 wasn't bad.  My conclusion is that there were a couple of frequencies in that particular situation (indoors, .44 mag) that didn't get attenuated adequately with the volume setting on 4.  However, when I turned the volume down to one, I could still hear well, but the .44 blast was no longer uncomfortable.

It was slightly amusing when other people would talk to me at the range because I was the only one with electronic earmuffs, so they would always be yelling...

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase as these earmuffs seem very well built and should last for a long time to come.  I will post again when I get a chance to try them with my AR.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top