Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Do the Comtac II's intefere with the cheekweld on an ar15?  I know it sounds good that there is one battery on each side but the picture looks like now the batteries are going to get in the way on both sides.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do the Comtac II's intefere with the cheekweld on an ar15?  I know it sounds good that there is one battery on each side but the picture looks like now the batteries are going to get in the way on both sides.

As a lefty I had issues with the standard Comtacs and cheek weld.  With the new Comtac II's, I have no cheek weld issues at all from either shoulder.  I think you'll find the II's are better all around on the cheek weld issue than the original version.
Link Posted: 2/17/2005 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wanted to thank everyone for the input and experience with these very important pieces of equipment...

I thought I was going to be slick by purchasing a cheapo electronic headset off of eBay for $25.00. I thought, ..."as long as it cuts out the bang but allows voices to be heard... that's all I need." How WRONG I was!!! These cheapo units did cut out the bang effectively but they also "CLIPPED" just about everything else as well. Trying to have a conversation with gunfire about 20-30 feet away was frustrating as everytime a distant gunrife would ring out the muffs cut out and I would loose all conversation as well. I ended up lifting the muffs off my ear when I wanted to hear, just like the old style, non-electronic types. But if you are alone and just need to hear range commands as well as block the bang, then they are not bad at all for the price.

I tried a friends Pro-Ears and Peltor and I knew what I was missing... So I researched my next purchase here. I was planning on getting the Peltor Tac6's but I have read that the durability and sound quality is lacking here and on other boards. Gunsite had nothing good to say about them...

I then planned on Pro-Ears until I started reading and researching the Com-TacII's and the Sordin Supreme Pro's. With a taste of the quality I have been missing, I knew BOTH would be a great purchase... but I had to decide which one...

After lots of reading and study, as well as Sordin getting huge military contracts for their products, I decided to buy a pair of BLACK Sordin Supreme Pro's. They were over $200 but I think in the long run they will be worth it and money well spent... They are water-resistant with a waterproof battery compartment, have comm inputs (phone/cd player), auto shut-off and DO NOT CLIP the sounds...

Thanks again everyone for helping me make a wise decision and not cheap out again...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Comtacs
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
tagalicious...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I was looking into the Sordins again and see they are or have launched a new model, like the Supreme Pro but with Blue tooth technology.  This is a boon for me as I hate having to lift one muff to fit my cellphone under to talk or having to run away from the shooting line to be able to take a cell phone call.  The new model will allow one to take a call with a press of a button, won't even need to take my phone out of my pocket/holster.  Me like!

ETA:  Just checked, the WW Supreme w/bluetooth isn't out yet at least so says MSA
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was looking into the Sordins again and see they are or have launched a new model, like the Supreme Pro but with Blue tooth technology.  This is a boon for me as I hate having to lift one muff to fit my cellphone under to talk or having to run away from the shooting line to be able to take a cell phone call.  The new model will allow one to take a call with a press of a button, won't even need to take my phone out of my pocket/holster.  Me like!

That is majorly high speed.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]
A litttle off topic, but I've been trying to find out what kind of audio connector the Com-Tac muffs have.

I've got two sets of them and haven't been able to figure it out. I would like to buy a couple of bare connectors to experiment with making a custom cable for cell phone/radio/scanner.

If anyone has a part number or connector type for these I would appreciate the information.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#11]
ding
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The Sordins use a standard 1/8" miniplug... available at your local Radio Shack.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Sordins use a standard 1/8" miniplug... available at your local Radio Shack.

That would be useful information if Sordin made the Com-Tacs, but they don't.

Still looking for the Peltor info.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#14]
tag for later.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So did "we" ever decide whether the Sordin or Com-Tac II is better?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So did "we" ever decide whether the Sordin or Com-Tac II is better?

From what I gathered the Sordins were slightly in front.

IMO I think they edged forward, because several had said the cheek weld is better.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I use my comtacs for rifle shooting cause I kept bumping them on my cheap Peltors but I wear my cheap Peltors for pistol shooting and when I have no need to hear anyone
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be useful information if Sordin made the Com-Tacs, but they don't.

Still looking for the Peltor info.

Peltor's customer service number is 1.800.327.3431.  They use a 2-pin Nexus Plug.  Don't know which model....
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#20]
taaaaag
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
www.earinc.com/p1-electronic.php
Very pricey, but money well spent.  You'll never use any other ear protection.  I've got the waterproof hunters in custom ear molds.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I have been using the Comtacs for a couple of years now.  I would recommend them to everyone
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag.  Fascinating and informative post.
Link Posted: 7/2/2005 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I own the Peltor COM TAC and I'm very satisfied with it.
But I think I gonna buy the Sordins, just to tryhinking.gif
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
But I think I gonna buy the Sordins, just to try

ST...

Are you a lefty or a righty?

If you primarily shoot right-handed, there is no over-riding reason to give-up your Com Tacs.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
tagged

after reading this thread, reviews and the numbers im leaning towards the comtacs

who has these in stock? grant?
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
tagged

after reading this thread, reviews and the numbers im leaning towards the comtacs

Hopefully the ComTac II's, right?  The original ComTac's (which I have a set of) are great, but the more advanced attenuation of the Sordin's and ComTac II's would be the way to go.

Corey

PS  Has anyone yet posted a back to back review of the ComTac I v. II?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tagged

Hopefully the ComTac II's, right?  The original ComTac's (which I have a set of) are great, but the more advanced attenuation of the Sordin's and ComTac II's would be the way to go.

Corey

PS  Has anyone yet posted a back to back review of the ComTac I v. II?

is that mic thing removable on the comtac II's?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#29]
ProBuy.com has the best prices I have found.

You can get the Peltor Tactical Muffs with stereo for 69.00!

TecRsq
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I recommend against any Peltor's but the Comtacs.  From what I understand, only the Wolf Pro Ears, Comtacs (II?) and Sordins compress sound rather than cut the sound off when it gets loud.  The clicking and loss of sound with the lesser models can be quite annoying.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Pro Ears
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#33]
tag
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

is that mic thing removable on the comtac II's?

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:00:24 AM EDT
[#35]
As a result of this thread and my displeasure with my Peltor tactical 7's,I decided to acquire a pair of Sordin Supreme Pros from Tactical Command to try. I like them and they are very robust in quality. Audio is very loud,crisp and clear with excellent blast suppression from a myriad of weapons and calibers. Comparing audio quality to these and that of an aquaintances Com Tac 1's......I'll have to say that the audio quality is a bit better with the Com Tacs he uses and his are not the 2's which very well could be improved over that. The audio quality in the Sordins has an annoying hiss in the background from the audio amplification on setting 3-5 that is a bit distracting after several hours on your ears of the which was absent in the comtac 1's of his. I definitley have a more robust and comfortable set of ears in my opinion. They also have a very good non obtrusive cheek weld with shotgun and carbine. I see either pair being an excellent decision in upgraded ear protection if your ready to take the monetary step up. Definitlet blows away the Tactical 6,7 and Pro Ears away in noise suppression and audio clarity. They also have auto shutoff after two hours and the Sordins run off of two AAA batts in a waterproof compartment on the right ear with a supposable 600 hour battery life.(will report later on that) I did not pay extreme attention to the battery arrangement on the Com Tacs,but memory serves me to believe they have batt compartments for a single AA on each ear with very similar waterproof control buttons to the Sordins. I have 0 regrets purchasing my Sordins. $235 from Tactical Command Inc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#36]
tag for later reading
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
As a result of this thread and my displeasure with my Peltor tactical 7's,I decided to acquire a pair of Sordin Supreme Pros from Tactical Command to try. I like them and they are very robust in quality. Audio is very loud,crisp and clear with excellent blast suppression from a myriad of weapons and calibers. Comparing audio quality to these and that of an aquaintances Com Tac 1's......I'll have to say that the audio quality is a bit better with the Com Tacs he uses and his are not the 2's which very well could be improved over that. The audio quality in the Sordins has an annoying hiss in the background from the audio amplification on setting 3-5 that is a bit distracting after several hours on your ears of the which was absent in the comtac 1's of his. I definitley have a more robust and comfortable set of ears in my opinion. They also have a very good non obtrusive cheek weld with shotgun and carbine. I see either pair being an excellent decision in upgraded ear protection if your ready to take the monetary step up. Definitlet blows away the Tactical 6,7 and Pro Ears away in noise suppression and audio clarity. They also have auto shutoff after two hours and the Sordins run off of two AAA batts in a waterproof compartment on the right ear with a supposable 600 hour battery life.(will report later on that) I did not pay extreme attention to the battery arrangement on the Com Tacs,but memory serves me to believe they have batt compartments for a single AA on each ear with very similar waterproof control buttons to the Sordins. I have 0 regrets purchasing my Sordins. $235 from Tactical Command Inc.

did you use them without any plugs or additional hearing protection?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Definitlet blows away the Tactical 6,7 and Pro Ears away in noise suppression

Are you talking about total suppression or method?  With the amplification of, do the Sordins have more noise suppression than the Pro Ears?  One of the reasons I use the Pro Ears is that I thought they have more noise reduction (as in what the muffs themselves provide without the electronics), and according to published advertising (which is suspect), they certainly do.  I don't have a pair of Sordins to compare to.  Some of these electronic muffs just don't provide enough basic sound protection and require earplugs to be worn in addition.  There is no comparison for either  the Comtac, Pro Ears, and Sordins to the Peltor Tac6 and 7 in method as neither of those compress sound, they clip instead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Pat Rogers recommends the Sordins. Go to military morons webside, he has a review there.

Larry Vickers recommends Sordins too.  I've got ComTacs and like them a lot.  The advantages of Sordin, I believe, are that they are lower profile and water resistant.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I was talking about method,but also believe total suppression to be better due to the method of suppression. Suppression by the sordins and com tacs is not obtained by clipping and allowing muffs to suppress by static suppression of the muffs themselves but by adding active noise attenuation. Very similar to the way Bose avionics headsets cancel sounds while flying. Its more or less a trick to your ears using microwave frequency to suppress harmful sound without clipping the audio. I'm not good at explaining this method.....maybe there wil be a pilot more familiar with the concept chime in. Bose avionics headsets do not staticly suppress at all by themselves.You can hear perfectly clear until they are switched on. I do not wear additional plugs and never did with my Tactical 7's. I did feel it somewhat necessary when I had my tactical 6's
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Does anyone have experience with the neckband vs. over the head models.  I usually wear a wide brimmed hat at the range and over the head models won't work.  Does the neckband interfere with the cheekweld on a rifle?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I was talking about method,but also believe total suppression to be better due to the method of suppression. Suppression by the sordins and com tacs is not obtained by clipping and allowing muffs to suppress by static suppression of the muffs themselves but by adding active noise attenuation. Very similar to the way Bose avionics headsets cancel sounds while flying. Its more or less a trick to your ears using microwave frequency to suppress harmful sound without clipping the audio. I'm not good at explaining this method.....maybe there wil be a pilot more familiar with the concept chime in. Bose avionics headsets do not staticly suppress at all by themselves.You can hear perfectly clear until they are switched on. I do not wear additional plugs and never did with my Tactical 7's. I did feel it somewhat necessary when I had my tactical 6's

Understood.  The reason I use the Pro Ears is because it was one of the first, if not the first to use sound compression instead of clipping.  This method allows one to always hear, but at a level that is safe and comfortable instead of the sound just turning off and back on again.

The problem I am talking about is if the basic design of the muff does not suppress enough noise, the noise can still be too high/painful.  I don't want to have to wear ear plugs as well as the muffs (though I do when shooting .50BMG).  The muffs have to block enough sound regardless of the electronics for them to be good enough for me to use.  So far, that still limits me to the Pro Ears which I believe block more sound than the Comtac or Sordins, which is probably enough for some or many but not enough for me.  They must do so and still be of slim profile for a good cheek weld as I can always get thick ones that block more noise (and still use sound compression instead of clipping, but then they interfere with my cheek weld) And in any case, they must use sound compression instead of clipping so the Pro Ears, Sordins, and Comtacs are the only ones that are even an option IMO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
But I think I gonna buy the Sordins, just to tryhinking.gif

ST...

Are you a lefty or a righty?

If you primarily shoot right-handed, there is no over-riding reason to give-up your Com Tacs.

Yes I shoot right-handed!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I just picked up a set of Com-Tac II's.  

Sitting here in the house, it's difficult to determine if they compress, or clip the sound.  I'll have to wait untill my next range trip to be sure.

They do seem like they have some passive reduction.

Got mine from Law Enforcement Targets.  $214.00, and fast delivery.

http://letargets.com/html/electronic_ear.html

Nimslow.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Peltor Tac 6 at natchezss.com for $75.  Excellent choice
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If you are budget minded and don't mind the sound clipping, yes.  I have a pair but the sound shutting on and completely irritated me to no end.  I wish the good ones that didn't clip sound were that cheap, and how!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
so out of the sordins, peltors and pro ears which offers the most noise reduction.

would defeat the purpose to spend a good amount of money on a set and still have to use ear plugs
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

+1

That is a great price.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Tagged for later when I can afford a pair.

Thanks to all who have gone before and shared their opinions and experiences.

Seydou
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Sordin was supposed to have a version with blue tooth technology...  are these still going got be released?  I see they have a fully waterproofed version out now.  Anyone seen a review of those?

Website still says to be released 2005.

Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top