User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I truly think all the Vendors of AR-15.COM do one hell of a job for us the buyers.
My hat goes off to you. I truly mean that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everyone has touched on some of the issues when comparing the pricing differential between a low end drill press and a AR stripped lower receiver, so I will just kind of sum it up.

5  Main Reasons

Labor Costs – the labor cost for the Chinese made drill press are almost zero . . . yes almost zero.  China’s labor wages are less than one US dollar per day, and that if the companies are voluntarily following the minimum labor standard in China.  As far as the Chinese factory is concerned they also incur virtually no additional overhead costs as it relates to labor.  They do not pay any workmen’s compensation insurance, no unemployment insurance, no health insurance benefits, and no unions wages to deal with.  By US standards the labor costs in China are almost zero!

Overhead Costs – a factory making products in China does not have a fraction of the overhead costs as its US counterpart.  They don’t have to deal with emissions, which includes equipment, equipment maintenance, and equipment upgrade as emission standards become tougher.  The have no costs for employee safety, which includes safety managers to teach OSHA regs and compliance, safety equipments, training, etc.

More Overhead Costs  - The US in an extremely litigious society.  A Chinese factory does not have to deal with the insurance costs a US company has to deal with.  Insurance on a manufactured part is a significant portion of the “costs” in its production.  Now multiply that by the fact that you are making a part for a firearm, and insurance rates can get absolutely ridiculous.  

Precision Machining – there are very few parts on a drill press that need to be precision machined.  90% of the metal parts are cast and require little finishing.  The parts that are machined only need the simplest of operations.  Now contrast that to an AR lower.  Not only are the tolerances probably 1000 time stricter than the average drill press part, but the machining operations are very complex are require several set ups and the most sophisticated CNCs on the market.

Volume – That drill press (or the parts that make it up) is made in such volume that it is difficult to even comprehend.  Those parts are used in a variety of different models used throughout the world.  The drill press itself it painted a variety of different colors to be sold under various names (i.e.: craftsman, delta, porter cable, jet, clark, etc, etc).  And then drill presses can be and are sold worldwide, while AR parts are only made in America and sold in America.

I have just briefly touched on some examples, with further though you will find many more examples that I listed.

Good post Paul, but folks don't want to hear the truth! They just want to go on believing they are getting screwed by the man and that all dealers burn money for heat.

C4

Over head cost are your problem, not mine.

I just want the shit for free or as close as I can get to that.

That is the true american way

BTW: Walmart never tryed to explain their costs?

Stupidity has no limits.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya know, niche markets almost always come with attendant higher prices (for reasons very clearly elucidated by other posters in this thread.)

Be glad that an AR receiver isn't a piece of medical equipment. If it was, it would probably cost $500.

Here's an example: Miltex RABINER Neurological Hammer 9"

$78.15 !!!!

Ya think the tolerances on this thing are tighter than those on an AR receiver???

Oh, yeah....F-Bomber--please do post pics of that AR you say you want to build when you get it done. I won't be holding my breath.

Link

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I am still looking for the chuck to my $90.00 drill press. It fell off again while I was'nt in my shop, therefore I have no idea where it rolled to this time. I don't think anything will fall off my AR and I hope  none of it's parts were made in the same factory as the drill press!

By the way, with all the jobs going to China and goods being made so inexpensively, why have'nt we seen a much greater reduction in price when the goods get back here in the states. It's like the other day I bought a can opener, american name on it but manufactured in china , still cost  25 bucks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
As someone that works in firearms manufacturing, the markup isn't that great. You should consider a $100 AR receiver a steal compared to what it takes to manufacture it.
Consider that you have to buy the forging, time on a CNC for the different steps to machine it, prep for annodizing, annodizing, shipping. Be grateful that receivers only cost about 1 bill.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You mean a Doctor is going to hit someone on the brain with that

No, it's just for testing reflexes.....although I could probably think of a few people whose brains need a few whacks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Last I checked, there weren't groups of fairly well-funded people out there who make their living suing the shit out of drill press manufacturers, or lobbying for congress to pass restrictions on the manufacturing of drill presses, bits and other components, or passing excise taxes for press receivers.

The two industries are completely different, even without getting into machining vs casting, and labor rates between different countries of manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Some people just need to go buy Airsoft accessories and STFU.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
To go even deeper, the general problem with American society is that EVERYONE feels they are owed something! They didn't work for it and or pay for it, but they still feel it belongs to them. The other thing I see is that people don't want companies to do well (this thread is a prime example). Consumers want the product for cost, a life time warranty and you had better answer the phone at 0300 Sunday to take their complaint! This truly amazes me to say the least.

C4

AMEN.
A truer statement could not have been made.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
To go even deeper, the general problem with American society is that EVERYONE feels they are owed something! They didn't work for it and or pay for it, but they still feel it belongs to them. The other thing I see is that people don't want companies to do well (this thread is a prime example). Consumers want the product for cost, a life time warranty and you had better answer the phone at 0300 Sunday to take their complaint! This truly amazes me to say the least.

C4

You Sneak--Your doin the focus groups again lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

You Sneak--Your doin the focus groups again lol

I'll take two, Sir.!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
The one thing noone has mentioned is a large part of the LEGAL INDUSTRY that affects us all. Buy a machine shop, cut your own lower. TRY to quote product liability insurance.  If you can get a quote at all it is a big percentage of manufacture costs.  I can't sepak for all those in the biz but insurance costs for both property and product involved in firearms manufacture is not cheap.  S397 or not, prices of it will not go down, as they already established they can get it.  The chinese drill press is a. loose as a 1-7/8 trailer ball in a 2 inch hitch receiver brand new b. loud and clunky c. if it was a rifle you'd be on here b*****ing about the fit and finish being so poor and absolutely no accuracy d. is basically disposable.  Try to do an 80% lower on that drill press without a jig and you will see  exactly what I am talking about.  Its an unfair comparison.  Match me up to a Clausing 20 inch Variable speed drill press with a Morse taper shank and see how we do.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
AR parts are expensive...since when.When I compare to the spare parts for my M14 type rifle AR parts are a steal.Besides Bolts ay have gone up in price maybe $10 in the last 13 years.I think some manufacturers parts like colt are way over priced but there are good quality  parts to be had equal to Colt for less.RRA is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ya know, niche markets almost always come with attendant higher prices (for reasons very clearly elucidated by other posters in this thread.)

Be glad that an AR receiver isn't a piece of medical equipment. If it was, it would probably cost $500.

Here's an example: Miltex RABINER Neurological Hammer 9"

$78.15 !!!!

Ya think the tolerances on this thing are tighter than those on an AR receiver???

Oh, yeah....F-Bomber--please do post pics of that AR you say you want to build when you get it done. I won't be holding my breath.

Link

img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/FredFeral/MIL1-220.jpg

Forget that medical stuff.  If it's NFPA compliant(for fire fighting) it would cost 2 grand.  If it's for "homeland security" tack on another grand.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

C4

C4 is the guy to quote today...

Isn't this how we got this country in the first place???  OOOH!!!  LOOK!!!!  A new country!!!  MINE!!!  What's this???  INDIANS!!!???  You owe me your land!  What? You wanna fight me for it?  HA!!!  My gun shoots farther than your Arrows!!!  Wheres your GOLD!!!  CORN??!!!  This isn't gold!!!  I said GOLD!!!  What's this???  BRITIAN??!!!  NOOO!!! This land is OURS!!!  You wanna fight too???  OKAY, BRING IT ON!!!!

Ring Ring... What...  Return??  It's 0300 Sunday Morning!!!  I just got through fighting the indians AND the Brits!!!  Yeah yeah, I'll take the loss, send it back.  NO!!! don't order from my business again you ASS!!!

I drank too much Mountain Dew...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

C4 is the guy to quote today...

Isn't this how we got this country in the first place???  OOOH!!!  LOOK!!!!  A new country!!!  MINE!!!  What's this???  INDIANS!!!???  You owe me your land!  What? You wanna fight me for it?  HA!!!  My gun shoots farther than your Arrows!!!  Wheres your GOLD!!!  CORN??!!!  This isn't gold!!!  I said GOLD!!!  What's this???  BRITIAN??!!!  NOOO!!! This land is OURS!!!  You wanna fight too???  OKAY, BRING IT ON!!!!

Ring Ring... What...  Return??  It's 0300 Sunday Morning!!!  I just got through fighting the indians AND the Brits!!!  Yeah yeah, I'll take the loss, send it back.  NO!!! don't order from my business again you ASS!!!

I drank too much Mountain Dew...

HeHe  Psychotic Break...Great lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Why does a gallon of bottled water cost more than a gallon of gasoline..................................................................oh, wait, never mind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread ranks right up there with the one in the EE where some dingbat called a Wilson CQB an 'off-brand pistol'.

If nothing else, it's entertaining, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
The metal stuff, I can understand.  A lot of quality control goes into those things, in addition to machining time.

What blows my mind is I want some Magpul Textured rail panels and it'd cost me $80 fucking dollars to cover my rails... that's just bullshit.  It's molded rubber, why the hell isn't someone making these things for $1 a piece and still making $.90 profit???
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The metal stuff, I can understand.  A lot of quality control goes into those things, in addition to machining time.

What blows my mind is I want some Magpul Textured rail panels and it'd cost me $80 fucking dollars to cover my rails... that's just bullshit.  It's molded rubber, why the hell isn't someone making these things for $1 a piece and still making $.90 profit???

Cause it's a special rubber that doesn't melt when your handguard heats up.  they are also made to exacting specs, so they fit your handguard.  10.00 dollars a piece or more!  ... Or wear a glove...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cause it's a special rubber that doesn't melt when your handguard heats up.  they are also made to exacting specs, so they fit your handguard.  10.00 dollars a piece or more!  ... Or wear a glove...

and they dont dissolve when cleaning your gun.

quit your bitchin and get some POS airsoft ones for a $6

www.airsoftatlanta.com/custom.htm
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This thread ranks right up there with the one in the EE where some dingbat called a Wilson CQB an 'off-brand pistol'.

Really!!! I missed that one. As a CQB owner I would have ate his lunch!

C4

MY PRECIOUS!!!!
www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WC%20CQB%201.jpg

Bottom of page 1 is where it starts: idiot's comment was edited out, but not until the seller quoted him.

Hilarity ensues.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=203426

<--worried about the fact that he can remember stuff that happened at ARFCOM almost a year ago.....

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's Bush's fault.

Has anyone blamed it on TBK1 yet? I hear everything is his fault
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I realize that the low production numbers and high degree of precision is the cause for the high prices.  But, damn, $100 iron sights and especially higher end FF tubes that cost $500+ are just crazy.  Pretty soon the whole gun costs a few grand to put together.  It seems like the whole process could be simplified, without needing to bolt all these things to the gun that cost mucho dinero (FF tube... $500!! ACOG... $800!! Ooh you need a mount for that... $100!!  How 'bout some super duper sling swivels... $80 each! Come on, they're *precision*!  Forward pistol grip... $100!! I mean, come on, it's super duper, it's *HOLLOW*!!! You can put batteries in it or something!!  New collapsible stock... $200!!  Seriously, it costs us that much to make one that doesn't rattle! )

It just doesn't make sense to me sometimes.  An ARMS BUIS will sell for $100.  But you can get a complete CMT upper with ARMS sight for $425 (Bravo Co. was selling them at $375 on sale).  That seems awful cheap.

But, whatever.  I buy what I can afford and enjoy it.  I'm glad my money is going to people in the good US of A.

PS. - Plus I don't think it costs anywhere near $800 to make an ACOG.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#33]
What's your life worth?  

What happens when your drill fails?  Kick it, curse it, but in the end, you just go to the store for another.  

What happens when your gun fails?  You'll be going places, alright, but not while still vertical.  

Quality, reliability, preparedness comes with a price.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want to bring down the cost for AR15 parts then petition the president to overturn the import ban to create more serious competition in the 5.56 military style rifle market.

An true open buyers market is the best way to keep prices down and quality up

Just imagine what a GM car would cost if there were no Accords, Audi's , or Sonata's

A little fact of economics, especially American Economics, when there is no competition, prices are gouged.

Just ask your cable company or local utilities.

And no RRA vs Colt vs Bushmaster isnt real competition. That is like saying Hess vs Exxon vs Texaco is competition.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised there's not more people that are on my side.  

But then again maybe the people who would be don't care about AR-15's or don't participate in this forum.  Maybe more people would if it wasn't such a racket.

This idiot is so arrogant he quoted himself.  Please don't do anymore posts, F-whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#36]
tg
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#37]

Get a different hobby.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't beleive this thread went 6 pages without somebody saying it:

It's all Bush's fault.....  

Actually, we can get the truth out in the open now,  there is only one manufacturer of all AR parts, Halliburton.  They disguise themselves as Colt, CMT, LMT etc and they ARE making Mr. Cheney a fortune gouging every single AR and AR parts part customer.

F-whatever, you have two options:

1. Take a college econ course and report back when you actually understand the material and concepts.

2. STFU and open your own MFG factory.  If there is that much $$ to be made, you can laugh in all of our faces in a few years when you are retired....  

Carry on...  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
members.cox.net/vseven/cry.jpg

Get a different hobby.

+1 Hahahaha, that is great.

Quoted:
Over head cost are your problem, not mine.

I just want the shit for free or as close as I can get to that.

That is the true american way

BTW: Walmart never tryed to explain their costs?

I'm new to the hobby of firearms, so I can't say I have an extended experience with the firearms industry. I do get a little off put by the costs of some parts and completes, but no one said this hobby was cheap. I also understand that things that are well made and in small quantities are going to be more expensive then some giant machine that pumps out 1000 items per second (slight exaggeration).

You are the consumer, you have the ultimate power. If you do a little foot work and search around you will find deals. I work hard for my money, and I have the FREEDOM to spend it how ever I please, at whatever dealer/gunshop I so choose.

I also know that if you visit most establishments frequently they will hook you up with discounts/deals. Most dealers/shops (at least ones I have talked to here) are out to make people happy and keep there customer base. It is in their best interest to make the customer happy, and sometimes that is more then just selling a product and walking away.

If things are too expensive, you have two options. Start making your own or become rich.

BTW: Walmart buys 100,000 pallets of an item, so they can afford to charge $1 for an item, where as a small company may charge $5. I don't know how comparing a giant corp with one guy in a small shop, two completely different situations.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
99% of manufacteres and especially Dealers are HUGE RIP-OFFS

I agree.  That's what I'm trying to say.

WELL IF IT'S CAPS YA WANT HERE YA GO!!!
Dealers are not ripping anyone off.  What kind of profit margin do you two genius' think we DEALERS make.  This ain't the fuckin' jewelry business ya know.  The profit margins range from 10 to 30 percent before OVERHEAD.  

Due to your firm grasp of business and economics I am will to bet neither of you is over 21

Trust me I don't want either of you two for customers.  (RANT OFF)

Denny

WTFPWNED!!!! Nice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#41]
F-Bomber  <-----
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Yep, every dealer I've met drives a Bentley, lives in a 60,000 sg ft mansion, lights fat stogies with $100 bills and eats caviar like candy.  Why do you think I want to be a dealer so badly????
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Actually, we can get the truth out in the open now,  there is only one manufacturer of all AR parts, Halliburton.  They disguise themselves as Colt, CMT, LMT etc and they ARE making Mr. Cheney a fortune gouging every single AR and AR parts part customer.

1. Take a college econ course and report back when you actually understand the material and concepts.

2. STFU and open your own MFG factory.  If there is that much $$ to be made, you can laugh in all of our faces in a few years when you are retired....  

Carry on...  

Actually someone did, on the first page of this thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Go play with your SKS and AK and leave us alone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Carry on...  

+1
ROTFLMAO! You forgot to mention that Haliburton owns this site too!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]

But to me “made in the USA” has never meant “made better”.  I’ll take my Nissan Titan over any half ton Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck any day of the week.  

One of the best gems here: The Nissan Titan is manufactured in CANTON, MISSISSIPPI.  I guess he didn't look at the percentage of US-made parts that went into it when he bought it either.  The engine and many of the other parts are manufactured in Tennessee.

My advice on how expensive AR's are or aren't:

Think about the following:
Why is chewing gum cheap? Because you buy it, throw it away, and will come back for more.

Why are homes expensive? Because you tend to buy one and only buy one.  Maybe you'll be wealthy and buy multiple homes.  Generally, buying a home is not a daily transaction for most of us, so it's a costly thing, but it doesn't happen over and over like buying bubble gum, and you keep them.

AR's and AR parts? It's been well explained why they cost what they do.  AR's fit somewhere on the scale between homes and bubble gum.  You aren't going to throw most of the parts you buy for them away.  You're gonna keep them.  If you spend $200 for that collapsing stock, you now have a stock that will likely last you forever.  That's $200 you don't have to spend on a stock ever again.  So if you buy your dream AR and outfit it with all the stuff you want, you might end up dropping $2000.  But when you're done you have what you want, if you really thought it all over, and then you shouldn't have to buy anything again, unless you decide to build a different toy.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really!!! I missed that one. As a CQB owner I would have ate his lunch!

C4

MY PRECIOUS!!!!
www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WC%20CQB%201.jpg

You mean you actually bought an over glorified Kimber???

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

But to me “made in the USA” has never meant “made better”.  I’ll take my Nissan Titan over any half ton Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck any day of the week.  

One of the best gems here: The Nissan Titan is manufactured in CANTON, MISSISSIPPI.  I guess he didn't look at the percentage of US-made parts that went into it when he bought it either.  The engine and many of the other parts are manufactured in Tennessee.

My advice on how expensive AR's are or aren't:

Think about the following:
Why is chewing gum cheap? Because you buy it, throw it away, and will come back for more.

Why are homes expensive? Because you tend to buy one and only buy one.  Maybe you'll be wealthy and buy multiple homes.  Generally, buying a home is not a daily transaction for most of us, so it's a costly thing, but it doesn't happen over and over like buying bubble gum, and you keep them.

AR's and AR parts? It's been well explained why they cost what they do.  AR's fit somewhere on the scale between homes and bubble gum.  You aren't going to throw most of the parts you buy for them away.  You're gonna keep them.  If you spend $200 for that collapsing stock, you now have a stock that will likely last you forever.  That's $200 you don't have to spend on a stock ever again.  So if you buy your dream AR and outfit it with all the stuff you want, you might end up dropping $2000.  But when you're done you have what you want, if you really thought it all over, and then you shouldn't have to buy anything again, unless you decide to build a different toy.  

And that's where BRD takes over.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#49]
CAPITALISM

Definition of Capitalism

"Capitalism" is conventionally defined along economic terms such as the following:
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.
Source: Dictionary.com

This is an example of a definition by non-essentials. An essential definition of capitalism is a political definition:
Capitalism is a social system based on the principle of individual rights.
Source: Capitalism.org

In order to have an economic system in which "production and distribution are privately or corporately owned", you must have individual rights and specifically property rights. The only way to have an economic system fitting the first definition is to have a political system fitting the second definition. The first is an implication of the second. Because the second, political, definition is fundamental and the cause of the first, it is the more useful definition and is preferable.

Because people often use the term "Capitalism" loosely, "Laissez Faire Capitalism" is sometimes used to describe a true Capitalist system. But this phrase is redundant.

It is important to define "Capitalism" correctly because a proper definition is a prerequisite to a proper defense. Capitalism is the only moral political system because it is the only system dedicated to the protection of rights, which is a requirement for human survival and flourishing. This is the only proper role of a government. Capitalism should be defended vigorously on a moral basis, not an economic or utilitarian basis.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Part of the high price for proprietary or innovative items is profit for R&D so the company can continue to offer innovative, high-quality items.

Now my beef is why a PAKISTANI G3 collapsing stock costs $170.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top