Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's loaded with editless page 5 pwn3ge!
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
double tap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Bedroom: Glock 21 w/ 230gr HST and AR w/ 5.56mm 75gr TAP
Living room: USPc 9mm w/ 147gr RA9T
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Seriously though, Phoebus, Dusty and Hemi Cuda, you all have valid points and if the only consideration is terminal performance, you are right.....I agree  00B is better than 4B hands down.  But, based on my own experience and not technical reports about Jello shots, I wouldn't want to get hit by either.  The BG would be just as dead either way.

Your experience of shooting deer?

You guys crack me up when you deride "jello shots" and trump it with a controlled broadside shot at a game animal. First of all, the hunting scenario is not a valid comparison, as those broadside shots do not require much in the way of penetration.

Now on to the "jello shots." You do realize that even after 20-30 years of ballistic gelatin being used to model wound ballistics, it is still in use even today? You do realize that the people the US ARMY and the FBI trusts to study the terminal effectiveness of ammunition use it? You are aware that the performance of ammunition in living tissue has been correlated to ballistic gelatin after analysis of THOUSANDS of gunshot wounds, including Xray and MRI imaging?

But hey - you go ahead and use what you "feel" is best by making assumptions. Yes - #4 isn't "bad" in comparison to some other choices. Bullet performance isn't a black-and-white issue, but rather shades of gray. #1 buck - the recommended SD load for shotguns - may only be slightly better than #4, but when you have a choice, why not use the BEST load available? There will be that one scenario where #4 fails to do the job because it doesn't reach the vitals whereas #1 buck would. Do you want to be the guy that ends up dead because your assumptions were wrong?

Yep.....I realize all that stuff and, as stated before, agree.  However, since everything in life is a compromise and in "shades of gray", I'm choosing to give up some *potential* penetration if I need to discharge a shotgun inside my home while considering the safety of others.  You and several others here clearly know your stuff but life isn't always able to provide the optimum situation for the *ideal* use of SD and/or HD ammunition in every scenario.  That's not that hard to understand, is it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
#1 buck - the recommended SD load for shotguns - may only be slightly better than #4, but when you have a choice, why not use the BEST load available?

The best load available according to who's criteria?  You are judging based on your criteria, which you appear to believe is the only 'correct' one.  It would appear over penetration is lower on your criteria scale than mine.  Do you live with children in the house?  I myself have 3 children that all live in seperate bedrooms.  If I ever truly had to defend my family, I would not have the luxury to stop and work out my bullet trajectory before sqeezing the trigger.  This means I would be relying completely on my selection of ammo to not go thru the wall and kill one of my kids.  Are you in the same situation?

Based on the above facts, I am willing to sacrifice a little power to hopefully decrease the chances of not injuring or killing my own family members. Either way, nothing is guarenteed is it.  It is possible that I could under pentrate with 00B and over penetrate with 4B. Based on my experience I feel confident 4B would do the job, if not on the first round, then definitely on the second.  I don't need an 'expert' to make this decision for me.  As I originally stated, based on my criteria, 4B is a good compromise.

Its funny how such a simple statement can bring out so much ire in some people.  Some of you guys feel your viewpoint is an absolute truth, and one that works in all situations.  I would contend that your viewpoint is only truly valid for you, not the entire population.

Edited to fix quotes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, then answer me this: Your shotgun is loaded with #4 buck, the bad guy is in front of your kid's bedroom. Do you shoot?

The answer is obvious, you wouldn't know until you were in that situation and had weighed all variables.  Again, you are thinking in absolutes, which is unrealistic.

I would NEVER take a shot without first having thought about the consquences of where that bullet might end up.

And I would contend that your statement is one of the most foolish things that I have ever read on this forum, because you presume that you would even know where your child was located behind that wall. Your presumption demonstrates that you have not thought this scenerio through very well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I sleep Very Well knowing I'm Very Well Armed...

Benelli Super90 with light ready with 8 rounds of 00 buckshot, and Beretta 92G with Night Sights and 16 rounds of 9mm +P JHP as reserve.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#10]
So, I saw some pics earlier. Here is my little home defense "kit"

-Bushy "M4", Black Hills 68gr MHP.
-S&W model 19-4, 158gr Federal Hydrashok (JHP)
-S&W M&P45, Black Hills 230gr JHP
-Some other "less lethal" items...
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
G34 w/ 33rds of 147gr Ranger
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bow to your inscrutable logic. From now on, I'll load up a shotgun with #4 shot and blast my way around my house secure in the knowledge that the shot will stop the bad guy and not penetrate anywhere I don't want it to.

Was that the best you could come up with?
The sad thing is, based on your previous posts, I wouldn't be surprised if you truly believed it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bow to your inscrutable logic. From now on, I'll load up a shotgun with #4 shot and blast my way around my house secure in the knowledge that the shot will stop the bad guy and not penetrate anywhere I don't want it to.

The sad thing is, based on your previous posts, I wouldn't be surprised if you truly believed it.

Wow, just wow.  The disrespect you have for people who are trying to share with you their knowledge and experience is uncanny.

In general, the members of this site are pretty knowledgeable, and willing to help each other.  You might take a hint from the fact that your angle has received no support, as yet, from any of us.  

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to help you see the problems with your line of thought, before the consequences of it end up being serious (God forbid).
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]

G19  +P 124gr GoldDot's.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt M4 LE6920.  Loaded with Federal XM193.

Maj
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]
You know, guys, I love a spirited debate as much as the next person.  I also sincerely appreciate the input of experienced, knowledgeable people and respect their opinions especially when they are taking the time to try and help me.  But in 56 years of traveling all over this ol' world, I have yet to see the reason to sling BS insults.

My advise.....if you don't like what some moron is saying, post your opinion and leave it alone.  You want to fight, go get in a bar brawl. Some BG trys to invade your home, etc., end his desire to do so permanently.  But, that "juvenile" nonsense doesn't belong on venues like this.  JMHO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Rem 870 loaded with 00buck shoot

Glock 19 loaded with hydroshocks
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
BS it's a straightforward question.

Its not a straight forward question.  It is an over simplified question.  The only way this question could be answered would be to make assumptions about hundreds of different variables, such as:

-how much distance is between me and the bad guy?
 -where exactly is the bad guy in relation to where I THINK my child might be on the other side of the wall?
 -how sure am I that the bad guy is armed?
 -what is the bad guy armed with?
 -is he posing an imminent threat to life and limb?
 -if I waited a few moments more, would a better opportunity present itself?

These are just a few examples of questions that would need to be answered before the original question could be answered.  Its similar to when guys post "What is the best barrel length?".  This question cannot effectively be answered without more details.

In such a situation there is NO TIME to think about what you are going to do - you have to execute your plan.

This was exactly my original point.  In an altercation of life and death, you are not going to have time to evaluate every possible detail.  You will be making split second decisions as best as you can.  That is why Zhukov's assertion that he is going to know excacly what is beyond his target is ludicrous.  Not only will he only have seconds to react, but unless he has x-ray vision he will only be guessing at what is on the other side of that wall.  To suggest to the readers of this forum that its possible to know without a doubt what is beyond the wall is very dangerous.  Operating under that assumption will get family members killed for sure.

I do have a plan in that situation and I know what I'd do - just like I've done on the range.  How about you?

I do have a plan indeed, and yes I have trained.

And I would contend that your statement is one of the most foolish things that I have ever read on this forum, because you presume that you would even know where your child was located behind that wall. Your presumption demonstrates that you have not thought this scenerio through very well.

Actually it shows he HAS thought it out and planned for it.

You don't know where your child is located.  You know where their bed might be - but is the kid in bed?  Have he or she gotten up and moved about based on the comotion in the hallway?  Are they reaching even know for the doorknob?

Does your planning account for that kind of scenario?  Mine sure as heck does and I've planned bullet paths such that they will pass over her head if I miss with my carbine.

It's all about thinking ahead and planning for worst case.

As I stated above, I do have a plan, and my family is on board with it.  We have trained for many possible scenerios.  But for you to say you will know beyond a shadow of a doubt where you child is located on the other side of that wall is insane.  You would be GUESSING at best as to where they are, and if you are wrong, you may have just killed youir child.  Are you willing to place their lives in jeopardy based on a guess?  You may think you have it all under control, and your shot placement is going to be perfect, but that is an unwise assumption in my opinion, and many documented police shootouts confirm this.  It is very hard to hit what you are aiming for under duress, and no amount of training will change that fact.  You have to assume that YOU MAY BE WRONG, and that your bullet may penetrate that wall with a trajecotry that is headed straight towards a family member.  This is where the whole concept of over penetration came about. That is why Zhukov's assertion that its just a matter of "knowing your target and whats beyond it" is very foolish indeed, and could get people following that advice killed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Colt M4 LE6920.  Loaded with Federal XM193.

Maj

Simple, yet so sweet. I load LCXM193 for the most part, MK262 is too fun to shoot at the range so I use it all up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

First of all, YOU are the one who is making non-sensical claims that your choice of #4 shot apparently buys you this huge margin in not having to worry about overpenetration, hence my sarcasm about blasting my way around the house.

My claims are not nonsensical at all, they are very well thought out and presented.  And as you stated above, lets make it clear, you are the one who started with the insults and sarcasm.  I kept all of my posts on a productive level, but you felt it necessary to insult my viewpoint and be sarcastic, and so I responded in kind.  From here on out I will only respond in a productive manner, and I hope you can do the same.

Your "intuition" runs counter to anything else I have ever read on the subject, but what the heck do I know? I'm only the moderator.

I was wondering when the 'moderator' card would be played.

Will #4 penetrate less? Probably, but my guess is not by much. At one point in time does that buy you enough peace of mind to take the shot, versus holding off in case someone ends up in the way of the bullet.

Thank you for pointing out that you are guessing here.  Remeber, this is about what I feel is best in my situation, and you telling me I am wrong.  I have stated the reasons why I have chosen #4B instead of #1, I simply feel it is a good compromise between my two concerns, over penetration and stopping power.  It is my opinion that 00 and #1 have agreater chance of over penetration, and a greater chance of injuring a loved one in the event that my shot placement is not exact. If you disagree with that because of what you have read by the experts, that is fine, go with what you feel is best.

You might, however, take the comments of some of these people at heart, who have a heck of a lot more knowledge than I do. I found their comments after only a few minutes of searching, and I'm sure I can come up with more statements which support my assertions. If you find counter-points which negate my claims, feel free to do so as I'd be happy to read them.

I do take other peoples opinions and incorporate them into my general understanding of whats best.  I do, however, take issue with people who are quick to insult and use sarcasm in an attempt to make their points.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Option, 00 Buck is better than #4 regardless of how you try to explain it.

The only excuse you have for using #4 is if you expect Big Bird to be invading your home.

If that's all you have, it's better than nothing but

00 Buck > #4

Carbine > Shotgun
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Make it stop.
This thread is going to give me an aneurysm.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, just wow.  The disrespect you have for people who are trying to share with you their knowledge and experience is uncanny.).

Let me state again, I kept all of my posts on a productive level, until Zhukov decided he was going to insult me and be sarcastic in his remarks.  I have learned a very valuable lesson in life, and that is to not show respect to anyone who disrespects me.  Its a two way street.  Its funny how you weren't so quick to point out his disrespect and sarcasm towards me, but as soon as I responded in kind, all of a sudden you have an issue.  I appreciate the moderators of ar15.com, but that doesn't mean I will tolerate their being disrespectful towards me,

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm trying to help you see the problems with your line of thought, before the consequences of it end up being serious (God forbid).

If you are truly concerned about people giving/getting good advice, and avoiding serious consequences, I would urge you to review the advice Zhukov has given regarding shot placement, walls, and over penetration.  As I stated in my reply to Forrest, recommending to readers of this forum that the best course is to disregard wall penetration, and rely solely on the fact that you KNOW what is beyond your target (the wall), and you can account for all possible scenerios simply by being sure of your shot placement, is a sure way to get people killed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I think we all need to remember that stopping the threat is the first priority.
Controlling penetration is the second priority.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#28]
A Glock 23 either on me or very clse at all times loaded with Gol Dot 155gr .40 s&w and a very well outfitted AR15 carbine close.  Not to mention two safes and LOTS of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:

Great thought, Doc.  And one we can all agree on.

Optionstrader - Cool off, man.  We all have opinions and, while I understand theirs, I obviously understand and agree with yours as well.  Unfortunately, there are other things we all have and, like opinions, they all stink.  Bottom line.....we all have to do what we think is right in any given situation and then live with the outcome regardless of what everyone else thinks.

Personally, I've decided to solve the penetration issue.....I'm going to dust off my S&W K-22 and load it with sub-sonic 22 shorts!!!  ***BIG tongue-in-cheek grin***
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great thought, Doc.  And one we can all agree on.

Optionstrader - Cool off, man.  We all have opinions and, while I understand theirs, I obviously understand and agree with yours as well.  Unfortunately, there are other things we all have and, like opinions, they all stink.  Bottom line.....we all have to do what we think is right in any given situation and then live with the outcome regardless of what everyone else thinks.

Personally, I've decided to solve the penetration issue.....I'm going to dust off my S&W K-22 and load it with sub-sonic 22 shorts!!!  ***BIG tongue-in-cheek grin***

Yard-Dog
No worries man.  I understand their opinion as well, and appreciate a good disagreement

I hear the CCI Velocitors are perfect for home defense.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#31]
For home defense?

Colt 1911 [in condition 2] in my desk drawer stoked with 230gr Ranger T [RA45T]
and a spare mag loaded with 185gr. DPX all-copper

~and~

Winchester 1300 stoked with Winchester low recoil 00 buck, with low recoil Federal Hydra-Shok slugs on the stock
I also have a 25 round bandoleer with Federal Tactical reduced recoil 000 buck under the bed next to my Remington 870

I leave the AR in the safe for a variety of reasons

• cops will keep your expensive AR as evidence

• for close range i prefer shotgun terminal ballistics - esp 000 buck and slugs

• low recoil sg loads will have less blast/concussive effect than an AR/carbine w/muzzle brake

• i grew up with a pump sg and am most comfortable with one

• easier to replace a $300 sg than a $800 AR for a variety of reasons, ie; theft, confiscation, new laws...etc.

• Germans in WW1 tried to get the sg banned  LoL

ps - shotgun>carbine, Rampant_Colt>Hemi-Cuda & Doc's308

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
<snip>

Darwin > You

At least we have the same choice in go to pistol

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Rampant and Hemi Cuda - Sweet pics from both of you.  Love my 1911 too.  My wife complains because I sleep closer to it than to her! (G)
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Rampant and Hemi Cuda - Sweet pics from both of you.  Love my 1911 too.  My wife complains because I sleep closer to it than to her! (G)

That is the inherent problem I have with the 1911, I stop caring about everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Darwin > You

Speak for yourself -
I don't take advice from a noob with a $69 Bryco/Raven loaded with Glaser Blue Safety Slugs as his primary armament
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Darwin > You

img206.imageshack.us/img206/3671/ravenleftzq7.jpg

Speak for yourself -
I don't take advice from a noob with a $69 Bryco/Raven loaded with Glaser Blue Safety Slugs as his primary armament

Hitting the bottle already?
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Speak for yourself -

Glasers = birdshot in a pistol round.
Most retarded idea ever.

My go to pistol is almost a 1911.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#38]
When I roll out of bed to check what went bump in the night, I grab my Colt M4 w/75 gr. TAP/Surefire light, and hand my SA 1911-A1 w/ Gold Dots/CT Lasergrips to my wife who goes to my kid's room.
A M500 Mossberg w/ 00 buck is in the bedroom for coverage after she is hunkered down. The 'code' for all clear is ***** and she will not allow anything to cross that door jam until she hears it, waiting on the line with a 911 dispatcher.

If you want to use what's cheap, or underpowered, fine. I prefer to use what will end the BGs attack as fast as possible. #4 is not a fight stopper, it is a fast track to prison for malicious maiming, and a lawsuit from a crippled/mangled BG. Check the laws where you live, and see what happens to people who purposefully choose ammo that is known to cause shallow gory wounds.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Doc, thanks for the close up!  My ol' eyes and a quick look fooled me.

So how do you like your *starter kit*
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#40]
M4builder, In TX we have no duty to retreat and we would probably get in more trouble using an AR than 4B.  Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Speak for yourself -

Glasers = birdshot in a pistol round.
Most retarded idea ever.

i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/thedoctors308/myfirearms/cocobolo002.jpg

John Moses Browning makes them all one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Doc, thanks for the close up!  My ol' eyes and a quick look fooled me.

So how do you like your *starter kit*

I like the BHP alot.
My only complaint is that custom parts are a pain to find and the trigger could be better.
Hemi-cuda keeps telling me there is this pistol that doesn't have those problems.

The other HD guns I mentioned...

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
M4builder, In TX we have no duty to retreat and we would probably get in more trouble using an AR than 4B.  Seriously.

In New York you are obligated to retreat, and using an AR and 'cop killer' ammo would defintely be an issue exploited by the prosecution.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Hemi-cuda keeps telling me there is this pistol that doesn't have those problems.

OH, you mean the 1911 huh?
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Doc, that's sweet!  You have more pics of your guns than I carry of my kids!

Is that an A1?  Damn I wish I could find a really good one for sale!  Reminds me of an M16 friend of mine from many years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I use my AR pistol and .223 Remington UMC FMJ rounds for a house gun.  Yeah, I know, FMJ isn't safe.  I don't have any JHP at the moment.  It's more expensive at Wal-Mart and I'm too poor to even keep my four magazines loaded most of the time.

Click For Larger Image
http://www.pcrpg.org/pics/21s/gun3sm.jpg

Click For Larger Image
http://www.pcrpg.org/pics/21s/mag2sm.jpg
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I finally got a chance to do some research on the 4B ammo I am using.  Here is what I found:

www.tacticalshotgun.ca:80/content_nonsub/gelatin_testing/buck_4_fed/gelatin_buckshot_4.html

Federal #4 Buckshot

Statistics:
Range: 3 yards
Shotgun: 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnumn
Round: 12 gauge 2¾ Federal #4 Buckshot
Gelatin: 9'x9'x19' 10% ordinance gelatin block
Measured Average Permenant Cavity: 14.0 inches (35.6.8cm)
Temporary Stretch Cavity: 1.0 to 9.5 inches (2.5 to 24.1 cm)
Block #1 Calibration BB Velocity: 608 fps
Block #1 Calibration BB Penetration: 12.4 cm

"Up for observation was a 2¾ inch load of federal classic #4 buckshot fired from an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum.

#4 buckshot is what we here at www.tacticalworks.ca consider the minimum all purpose buckshot load for tactical applications. It balances decent penetration with a higher projectile count; increasing your first round hit probability over both #1 buck and 00 buck at medium shotgun range. If all pellets strike the intended target (likely when utilized at closer range) #4 buckshot offers several times the effective wound channel creation capabilities over both #1 and 00 buck."

According to this more recent study, the #4 Federal is actually more effective at close range, which is exactly where I will be using it.
The study you guys were referring to was based on ammunition available in 1998.

Federal Classic #4 buck shot out of an 18 inch barreled Remington 870 Marine Magnum. The shot column struck a little low...this photograph was taken without the ruler to show the entire shot load.

Temporary stretch cavity was approximately 10 inches long. Permanent crush cavities were on average 14.5 inches deep.

Link Posted: 8/22/2007 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In New York you are obligated to retreat, and using an AR and 'cop killer' ammo would defintely be an issue exploited by the prosecution.

You should consider moving to the USA
Link Posted: 8/23/2007 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#49]
headbang.gif  I say...Can I get a witness!!!

Great report, optionstrader.  Good read.  I guess that shows why Masaad Ayoob likes 4B and that you can't believe everything you hear.

Guys.....I know it hurts but.....y'all have anything to say?
Link Posted: 8/23/2007 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Harsh words and hand gestures

and of course 00 buck.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top