User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 11:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaguar2803] [#1]
Thanks for the link man! Will that yhm sight work right with my flip up front sight alright?One more thing what are the chances ill need that riser if I go with that yh sight and are the a1 and a2 the same thing just different angled pics?

About that handle,if you need it let me know and ill ship it to you my treat.As long as your in the states.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jaguar2803:
Thanks for the link man! Will that yhm sight work right with my flip up front sight alright?One more thing what are the chances ill need that riser if I go with that yh sight and are the a1 and a2 the same thing just different angled pics?

About that handle,if you need it let me know and ill ship it to you my treat.As long as your in the states.

Yes, it will work with your front sight because all rear sights are the same height. Looking at that scope, I will guess that yes, you will need the riser. The only difference between these a1 and a2 sights is the style of the windage knob.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By jaguar2803:

I made the chop today and have a scope on the way as well.Heres the scope im getting, nothing high dollar but its all I need for now.Could somebody tell me how this scope is gonna work with my iron sights,am I gonna need a riser to even see through the scope?Heres a few pics of my chop job and a pic of that scope.Another thing,are my front and rear sight even compatible?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/SCP-119.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2488.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2487.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2484.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2480.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2479.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i297/Snkelley/IMG_2478.jpg

Hey man,

From the looks of it, the front of your rear site is not very consistent.  If you wanted to, you could tape a peice of sandpaper of 100 or 200 grit to a table, and then run your sight's rough area across the sandpaper smoothly to smooth it out.

Also, it looks like you used a sharpie to blacken the sight.  It won't last.

Get yourself a $3 can of flat black primer, or flat black spray paint.  I was very lucky, and found that black primer was an almost exactly color match.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 1:18:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks man ill do that and put it in the closet lol.Im ordering the yankee hill rear sight tomorrow so I wont be needing this one but ill get it looking nice before I put it away lol.
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
what are these handles usually made of? mine is a DPMS and i would guess aluminum but are there any made from steel?
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PMB1086:
what are these handles usually made of? mine is a DPMS and i would guess aluminum but are there any made from steel?

Aluminum, but you'll have to cut through the end of the side clamp. It's pretty hard shit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
How well does the rear part stay secured on the upper once it is chopped????
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DJack:

The rear locking nut is right next to the sight. If you had one you'd see.
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I am going to try this on mine, but I have a question

I ordered a GG&G BUIS rear , will it line up correctly with the fixed front site on my Bushmaster xm15 A3?

Link Posted: 3/12/2009 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Looking to find this out also.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
just did mine up.    I have no shop, not even a vise.  I ended up duct taping it to a fence post. Hacksawing,  Couldn't cut through the side clamp with my saw so I used a bolt cutter,  Cut it long and am filing to size.

It's a bit rough right now but should smooth out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By TxRed:

Looking to find this out also.  

It's secure.

Link Posted: 6/19/2009 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#13]

No different than any other rail mounted BUIS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 11:06:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the write up and pics! I did mine today.

Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Too cool. Will try on old carry handle from my armalite this weekend. Never use it and was getting ready to buy rear sight. Who cares if it takes longer or is more expensive. The orgional post said this was for us guys with a spare handle. Top it off with the fact that if i wasnt doing this i would be shooting up $50 worth of ammo this saturday and I break even. I like the dremel tool option.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice carbine blasterrider88. What brand? Would look even cuter with a front grip.
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 2:39:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blasterrider88] [#17]
Originally Posted By Nichonator:
Nice carbine blasterrider88. What brand? Would look even cuter with a front grip.

First of all, please dont call an AR cute. I would like to get a LaRue Tactical Foward Universal Grip (FUG). Its a franken gun that I build.

Lower:
Stag Arms stripped lower receiver
DPMS LPK
TangoDown BG-16 pistol grip
BCM Mil-Spec buffer tube
Magpul CTR

Upper:
CMT/Stag Arms upper receiver
Bushmaster 16" chrome lined HBAR 1/9
DPMS Bolt Carrier Group
CMT/Stag Arms charging handle
Daniel Defense Omega 7 free float handguard
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 9:18:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: markm] [#18]
Originally Posted By blasterrider88:

Would look even cuter with a front grip.

First of all, please dont call an AR cute.

Not only is the cute comment dumb.  His basis for gear suggestion is "looks".

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is my chopped carry handle BUIS and my hand stop also from the chopped carry handle

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By markm:
Originally Posted By blasterrider88:

Would look even cuter with a front grip.

First of all, please dont call an AR cute.

Not only is the cute comment dumb.  His basis for gear suggestion is "looks".

So? Maybe he likes getting all the chicks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Chicks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 8:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slugger] [#22]
I must be a retard. Mine took about 3 hrs. Then again my bandsaw is down so I did it all by hand except for the grinder and dremel thank God! But couldn't get the dremel in the right spot to cut through that steel bar. Dang that thing is hard. Also had some slag from the forging that I figured I may as well clean up. Much better now. PIcks coming soon.
Slugger

Considering stripping the sight, painting the whole thing and reassemble. Rear sight is the only thing left I've not taken down. Looks like the next step.
Slugger
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw this thread last night and thought it looked easy so I cut mine down today.  It came out a lot better than I expected.  I used a hacksaw, Dremel tool and some sandpaper.  The "finish" is flat black spray paint.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BattleBoar:
I saw this thread last night and thought it looked easy so I cut mine down today.  It came out a lot better than I expected.  I used a hacksaw, Dremel tool and some sandpaper.  The "finish" is flat black spray paint.

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/BattleBoar/DSCN1074.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/BattleBoar/DSCN1075.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/BattleBoar/DSCN1082.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/BattleBoar/DSCN1081.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss98/BattleBoar/DSCN1080.jpg

nice job on that. i did mine w/ a dremel and decided it looked super uneven and looked like crap. had my brother mill it from his work, turned out great. and painting it deffinately made it look better as well.

again, nice work
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]

I bought this "been there done that" carry handle off the EE for $25. Chopped it this afternoon took my time. Finished the bare aluminum areas with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By acidman:
Originally Posted By theoriginalrecon:
So I know this message is old and all, but could someone re-upload the how-to pics? imageshack.us is free and the pics last a long time, a lot longer than the other hosts on this thread did.

Yes, please re-upload the pictures.  It is free as stated above.

Now I'm interested in chopping my carry handle off my A2.  I'm a bit scared I must admit.  I need some pics of the progress. A video would be even better

Link Posted: 11/13/2009 12:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mykrowyre] [#27]
1) put sight (the handle side, the part you are discarding) in a vice.
2) cut the rear of the sight off.
3) file and sand it smooth where you cut it. 300 grit sandpaper works quickly.
4) paint it.

it's really that easy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2009 9:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_CRISIS] [#28]
I cut mine today, the paint job kinda sucks but it got dark before i was finished filing and grinding and painint a mostly black object with black paint at night...sucks

Think I did pretty good for my first time

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Any way we could get the pics in the first post back?
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Pumpkinheaver:
Any way we could get the pics in the first post back?

If you need step by step pics then I could take some of the next one I do.
Link Posted: 12/26/2009 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Carry handle numbers, Does anyone know what the different side number markings on the carry handles are referring to,  Like A2, A6, A10

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Great post!

This is probably well known to others but I've just noticed a difference in removable carry handles (let's call them A4 for M16A4). Colt/milspec A4 carry handles are designed to work with F-marked front sights but others like Bushmaster, ArmaLite and DPMS have A4 handles milled down about 0.040" in order to work with a non-F-marked FSB. Works fine as long as you stick with the same brand of handle and rifle but if you put a Colt A4 handle on a Bushy, ArmaLite or DPMS you may need Bushmaster's 0.040" taller front sight post to zero the rifle. Only $5.50 but a minor nuisance I didn't expect.

I just found this out when I bought a chopped Colt A4 handle and tried to get it at the same zero as my Bushy handle which has the shelf above the elevation wheel milled down lowering the rear sight cage. I was hoping to easily swap the chopped and full carry handles on my ArmaLite upper and still be close to zero without adjusting the front sight but it's taking more effort. With just one carry handle, no big deal.

I installed the Bushmaster taller front sight post and adjusted the Colt chopped sight to bottom out six clicks below 6/3 (IBZ/RIBZ mods) and the Bushy handle at 14 clicks below 6/3. Right now this is just a mechanical zero, the weather's bad and I can't get out to fine tune the zero. I may end up buying another Colt height carry handle (not chpped) and sell the Bushy carry handle. However if I can't get enough height from the front sight I'll mill down the chopped Colt handle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 10:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragracer_Art] [#34]
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Just FYI.
Sarco sells these little buggers for about 34.00 if you don't want to hack your carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2010 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By duckmanmark:
Just FYI.
Sarco sells these little buggers for about 34.00 if you don't want to hack your carry handle.

Those are Chinese knock off units.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dab2] [#37]
Here's my Bushy handle that was cut with a dremel tool. I also have the newest style EOTech that leaves plenty of room on the standard flattop. Also my light takes the same battery as my EOTech so I have a few stashed away in the handgrip and buttstock...

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 1:14:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm doing this in another thread. the haters gotta hate i guess. its not going well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By markfall:

I'm doing this in another thread. the haters gotta hate i guess. its not going well.

Screw that.  Good idea, thanks for the bump!

Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:43:56 AM EDT
[#41]
I gave it a shot

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Has anyone tried this to an A2 upper?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ew11:
Has anyone tried this to an A2 upper?

why would u do it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Guess I need to find an unneeded carry handle somewhere and chop my own BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Just chopped my old Colt carry handle.  Needs paint but other than that it came out great.  Took about 30 minutes.  Was going to buy a new rear sight, but this will do just fine.  Thanks Hemi-Cuda!

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:49:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EnlistedDate] [#47]
Almost the last topic of page 28. Time to awake the sleeping.
All of you who chopped your carry handles has me curious what you did with the left overs. Likely in the trash I would guess.

I'm in need of all that was not used when you cut it off for a project.

I'd take any if for free. I'll pay to get it/them to me.

I could use about half a dozen in case I mess up.

TIA

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Smart move on your part doing this how-to. This is what we did back in the day, before better iron sights were available- back then all we had was the old KAC ones that the aperture would fall out of. The supply sgt lost his mind when we did this, we just told him to kick rocks. We did them with a chop saw, a file, and automotive touch up paint in the unit motor pool.  As a contractor, I still use my old one to this day- I keep it with the big aperture up in back of my eotech, so I'm always ready to engage even if I don't have time to turn on my eotech. Also when the local police issued dpms carbines with removable carry handles with the intention of getting optics "later", I cut a bunch of theirs for them- they like the idea.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
Smart move on your part doing this how-to. This is what we did back in the day, before better iron sights were available- back then all we had was the old KAC ones that the aperture would fall out of. The supply sgt lost his mind when we did this, we just told him to kick rocks. We did them with a chop saw, a file, and automotive touch up paint in the unit motor pool.  As a contractor, I still use my old one to this day- I keep it with the big aperture up in back of my eotech, so I'm always ready to engage even if I don't have time to turn on my eotech. Also when the local police issued dpms carbines with removable carry handles with the intention of getting optics "later", I cut a bunch of theirs for them- they like the idea.
View Quote

That's awesome bro lol,I have a spare carry handle just sitting on top of my TV as decoration right now. I'm so tempted to do this for my bcm build I'm starting this weekend. Although I do like being able to flip my BUIS down tho so I'm on the fence
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#50]
You may as well. The thing's not doing you any good on top of the fridge. If you end up not liking it, worst case scenario is you're not out that much, best case scenario, you got it for trading material.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top