User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Millet DMS-1 (Page 4 of 41)
Page / 41
Link Posted: 6/23/2007 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Boosdady:
Just got off the phone with Midway. The guy pulled one from stock and verified it has the illumination adjustment on the eye peice.

I did the same thing yesterday. I ordered it anyway. The girl on the phone said I could mail it back for a full refund if it is unmounted.
Link Posted: 6/23/2007 11:27:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#2]
Besides the location of the dial, what are the differences between the two versions?

Originally Posted By Not_A_Llama:
I think I'm going to try building an AA battery adapter that'll screw onto the battery compartment, and mount the batteries to the rail, for extended lifetime.

It'd be cool if the manufacturers would just build on a battery compartment for AA or CR123 batteries similar to the aimpoint M4.
Link Posted: 6/24/2007 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the gen II just showed up on EE

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=449705

Link Posted: 6/25/2007 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the latest and final configuration:

Millett DMS-1
GG&G Scout Rail
Armalite Mount
YHM flip front sight/block
Midwest rear BUIS

Link Posted: 6/25/2007 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
dammit I want one....
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
Here is the latest and final configuration:

Millett DMS-1
GG&G Scout Rail
Armalite Mount
YHM flip front sight/block
Midwest rear BUIS

pixpipeline.com/s/38d7c84c98db.jpg

pixpipeline.com/s/91eaf1c55b80.jpg

pixpipeline.com/s/9606eedd7c3.jpg

pixpipeline.com/s/8a9870a0ea15.jpg

Looks great. My scope should be here tomorrow. I might go with the same setup as you. I already have the Armalite 30mm mount, but it is too low for my Matech BUIS. Really not wanting to spend $200 on a LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By timlt:

Rock River scout rail...  

Is this a new version?  My buddy has one like pictured on their website and it doesn't allow for mounting of a BUIS.
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have pics of the scope mounted on a rifle with a fixed front sight? Is this a viable option or do you need to go with a filp up sight?
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By c350z:
Anyone have pics of the scope mounted on a rifle with a fixed front sight? Is this a viable option or do you need to go with a filp up sight?

no pics as of yet, hopefully within the next few days.  i mounted a 2nd gen DMS on my middy which still runs a std fsb.  the outline / shadow of the fsb is noticeable at times but did not bother or distract me during the first range trip with it this past weekend at any of the magnifications.  

again, only 1 range trip in but at this point i think i'd be hard pressed to find a better optic for the money that fits a dual purpose of 1x close use and 4x mid range use.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By c350z:

you really need a flip sight.  the fixed sight interferes greatly.
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well Fuck, I ordered from Midway intentionally cuz I wanted a Gen 1, it should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 2:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: army_eod] [#13]

Originally Posted By MudBug:
Well Fuck, I ordered from Midway intentionally cuz I wanted a Gen 1, it should be here tomorrow.

OK...if you get the gen 2, just send it to me.  

I have a gen 1.  I will trade you even up.

EMAIL SENT TO YOU MUDBUG
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 3:02:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: c350z] [#14]
I just called to check the backorder status at Impact Guns, and they still have not received the scopes from Millet, but again they reassured me that these would be Gen 2. They said it should be anyday now
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 3:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudBug] [#15]

Originally Posted By MudBug:

OK...if you get the gen 2, just send it to me.  

I have a gen 1.  I will trade you even up.

EMAIL SENT TO YOU MUDBUG

Didn't get your email.

I am open to your deal though, I'll let you know after I get it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2007 5:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cajunboy] [#16]

Originally Posted By TREETOP:
Update about Midway's DMS-1:

I ordered one from Midway as soon as they were available again, assuming it'd be a Gen 2 (since Midway posted on M4C that they'd only be shipping Gen 2s).
A couple of you guys posted here that you'd called and Midway said the new ones they're shipping are Gen 1s, so I was concerned since I'd prefer a Gen 2.
A Gen 2 showed up on the EE so I jumped and bought it too, knowing that way I'd at least still have a Gen 2- since I was expecting to return the Midway one when it showed up as a Gen 1.

Well, when I got home from running some errands today, there was a package from Midway on the porch:

It's a Gen 2.
i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/treetopR/06-26-07_1354.jpg

So now I'll have two Gen 2 DMS-1s when the one from the EE shows up, it was shipped today. I don't know if I'll put the extra one on a 10/22, or sell it, or maybe I'll have to build another AR for it.

But the good news is, unless mine was a fluke, MidwayUSA is shipping Gen 2 DMS-1s.

Damm, dude. You beat me to it. I got mine from Midway as well and was so happy when I opened the box. I just finished installing mine.

ETA: as of 1753 CST, Midway only has 2 left.
Link Posted: 6/27/2007 5:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuisLeon] [#17]
First of all, I'm not an soldier or police officer, I'm just a regular guy offering up my take on the DMS-1

Well, I got my DMS-1 today, from Midway (it is a second generation scope). I put it into an Armalite mount and onto my RRA CAR upper displacing a aimpoint clone that had resided there for two years. It does make my middy heavier, but since I'm not patrolling with this carbine its okay. I have a fixed front sight on my AR and you do see the tower at 1x, but not 4x. The 1 m.o.a. dot cowitnesses on top of the front sight post just like the aimpoint clone did. The only difference is that the front sight post is fuzzy. I did notice a slight fuzziness with my non-dominant eye when trying to use the scope with both eyes open at 1x. When I closed one eye everything gets sharper, and since its has a generous field of view you can still see the adjacent targets. I learned to ignored the front sight with my previous red dot sight and will do the same with this one.

I went to my club and set-up a 25 yard target, and of course it starts to rain. Anyway after I chewed one ragged hole in the target at 25 yards. I set up some IDPA targets at 3, 7, and 10 yards and shot them as fast as I could, two to the body 1 to the headbox at 1x with illumination on. It did not feel as fast as with just the red dot sight, but for me it was fast enough. All down 0s. Then I set up IDPA targets at 25, 50 and 100 yards. At 100 yards I just centered the outer circle on the chest zone of the IDPA target and my first shot hit in the head box at least 10 inches high, after adjustments the rest of my shots centered nicely in the down 0 zone. I was also able to make the headshots at 100 yards. I also set up 3 bowling pins all first shot kills at 100 yards. At 50 yards it was also easy to keep the hits in the down zero zone (head and body) of the IDPA targets. The 50 and 100 yard targets I shot from a seated position using a sandbag, the 25 yard target was offhand. So far this optic looks like it will fit the bill for 3-gun/multi-gun matches. My only complaint is that the illumination, even at its highest setting is not enough in some outside conditons. That being said I also shot the scope with illumination off at all the above ranges and was still able to get good hits, only not as fast.

I believe there is an extension/riser rail in my future, so that I can run my backup iron sight again and raise the scope a little. I do not see the front sight at 4x, but there is a slight fuzziness there which I believe IS the front sight tower.

regards,

Luis Leon

P.S. Now I have to get out to my other club, which has the 250 yard range.
Link Posted: 6/27/2007 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/27/2007 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Just picked up a Gen 2 today for use on my Suppressed 10/22. Nice little light walkabout gun.

Acording to the paperwork the Center dot is 1MOA , Inside the Donut is 43MOA on 1x and 10MOA on 4x. Outside of the Donut is 51.6MOA on 1x and 12.6MOA on 4x. The posts are 2MOA in width.
Battery life on No.11 is 50hrs and 150hrs on No.1
The book also states that the turrets are 1/4MOA on page 3 but then states on page 6 that they're 1/2MOA

For the guys running ButlerCreek caps, Which number Eye and Obj specifically are you using? Local shop was ouot of stock on the smaller OBJ's
Link Posted: 6/27/2007 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I got the DMS-1 today will mount here in a minute, I can't seem to find the battery, my scope does not have one inside it?  Did everyone elses have the battery?
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By underdog75:
For the guys running ButlerCreek caps, Which number Eye and Obj specifically are you using? Local shop was ouot of stock on the smaller OBJ's

+1  I want to know this too.  (Since the GRSC CRS scope is basically the same scope.  Externally at least.)
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#24]
for obj and eye size, look thru this thread.

On my gen 1, how is the battery installed?

I got my scope with battery installed.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone have any comments on low-level light performance? Given the small objective lens size, I'm wondering how good the sight picture is in a dimly lit room on 1X?  Also, how well does the scope perform outside during the dawn and dusk hours?  Pictures would be appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By hookahjoe:
Does anyone have any comments on low-level light performance? Given the small objective lens size, I'm wondering how good the sight picture is in a dimly lit room on 1X?  Also, how well does the scope perform outside during the dawn and dusk hours?  Pictures would be appreciated!!!

The objective of this scope is not small.  It has a 6mm exit pupil.  That is quite large.  The issue will be glass quality and optical coatings and the number of lenses used, not the exit pupil size.  My Meopta has an objective of 22mm vs the 24mm of this Millet yet it is going to be noticably brighter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
any mount for this under a billion dollars?

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got one of the GRSC scopes and tried it out last night. I was amazed by how much light transfer there was. I could not notice any loss of light through the scope. There was no blooming effect when looking at light sources either.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
So, is this the end of the DMS-1 frenzy?  They are showing up on EE.  

Damn, wish I would have waited for the Gen 2.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By TREETOP:

Nope. I just bought 2 and only needed one. Wish I had a need for 2 but I just bought 2 EOTechs also.

yoink!
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:

for the price, i decided to pick up one of these to try... just COULD NOT bring myself to pay for a QD mount at almost $200!

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Command_Arms_Dual_Scope_Ring_Rail_Mount.html

CAA isn't always held in the highest regards, but after mounting it and a range trip, i'm more than satisfied.  holds secure, mounts straight, and lets you place the optic much farther forward than std straight-up rings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#34]

i think you may see a number of Gen 1's show up as ppl want Gen 2's, or as cited here ppl who got more than one while trying to obtain a scope...
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#35]
As for the low light performance, it's okay.
I called in & shot two 'yotes last Friday evening.It was around 8:30ish PM with cloud cover, on an open wheat field.I had to power down to 2x to see the 'yotes at 150 yards.(4x was too dark)The "doughnut" reticle did obscure the targets.I actully turned the illumination off to get a better sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By DamnYank:

for the price, i decided to pick up one of these to try... just COULD NOT bring myself to pay for a QD mount at almost $200!

CAA isn't always held in the highest regards, but after mounting it and a range trip, i'm more than satisfied.  holds secure, mounts straight, and lets you place the optic much farther forward than std straight-up rings.

there's room enough there to fit the dms in between teh rings?

also you think it will repeat zero?  QD is cool, but all I really care about is repeat zero mounting....
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
B&H Photo has the Armalite mounts for $99, not the cheapest, but I have had excellent luck buying stuff from them before, they have good CS and they don't rape me on shipping....and they were the only ones I found with the mounts in stock.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/411267-REG/ArmaLite_EX0022_1_Piece_Scope_Mount.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Can you please post a photo of your setup? Can you fit a backup site under the scope? I'm concerned that it would mount the scope to low to fit a back up under it or will it position the scope far enough forward to have the bkup behind it?

BTW, I like much of the CAA stuff I've had my hands on. It's not ubber tactical and some stuff I might go the extra mile if I were constantly in a combat area.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#39]

i think you may see a number of Gen 1's show up as ppl want Gen 2's, or as cited here ppl who got more than one while trying to obtain a scope...

Well, now that I have mine set up, I hate to remount and zero.  The Gen 1 works great and is the same optically.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Regarding mounts, the JP Enterprises is real nice for $149.00.  If you are military, JP will give you a 20% discount.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:13:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MudBug] [#41]

Well, now that I have mine set up, I hate to remount and zero.  The Gen 1 works great and is the same optically.

That's good cuz I'm finding that I may be able to get by with my Gen 2 since the illum knob doesn't stick out quite as far as it did on my Meopta, so it's not as big a problem.

I may still be up for a trade with anyone that wants though after I get a chance to really try this out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#42]
B&H photo is where I got my Armlite mount this past week.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
wes1,

Thanks for the info, it sure helped.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad to help.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#45]

for obj and eye size, look thru this thread.

On my gen 1, how is the battery installed?

I got my scope with battery installed.

I looked, but only the dimensions of the scope were listed.  Looking around, it seems that a #20 Eyepiece and a #2A Objective cover would be the correct ones.
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I got my DMS-1 from Midway on June 27th, its a Gen1.  I really don't care where the illum control is at.  I think the Gen1 might be a little more snag proof.  I bought the command arms mount for it before I read this post and I have not mounted it yet, however I will use some loctite.  

I also have an Aimpoint QRP that might work as a DMS-1 mount too?  Has anyone ever tried mounting a scope with a QRP?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Salmonaxe:

I looked, but only the dimensions of the scope were listed.  Looking around, it seems that a #20 Eyepiece and a #2A Objective cover would be the correct ones.

Just got back from the local shop. Buttler creek #17 for the Eyepiece and I believe it was a #3 for the objective.
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
What is the eye relief on this thing??  Millets web sight doesn't list any specs for this scope....
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Lets see soem pics of the with different mounts,

the CAA, the JP, the larue SPR and SPR-EE, Armalite, etc.

and a pro/con list

Mine just shipped from impact and now I am figuring how to mount it...
Link Posted: 6/29/2007 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 41
Millet DMS-1 (Page 4 of 41)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top