User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Millet DMS-1 (Page 3 of 41)
Page / 41
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 11:27:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: c350z] [#1]
Here is the update on my order from impact...

They are on backorder, the price is going up from $197.99 to $219.99, these will be the new model, and it will be about 2 weeks.

So it is a wait an see.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 11:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Not_A_Llama] [#2]
I also got backordered by Impact. Was anyone else rubbed the wrong way by the backorder / price change email?

"One or more backordered items have had a price increase from the
manufacturer.  Your order will be changed to reflect this new price.  
Updated
pricing is as follows :

Millett 1-4x24 DMS Designated    Old Price: $197.99  New Price: $219.99

All prices are subject to change based on manufacturer's price at time
of availability.
 Please contact customer service at 801-409-1021 if
you have any questions."

(emphasis mine)

I'm really, really, really not a fan of the tone, or the lack of any request for approval.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the email sucked, I actually called to cancel but with everyone else sold out and their prices higher, I figured I will wait and see.
Link Posted: 6/9/2007 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
These scopes are selling like hotcakes.  Glad I have mine.

I am replacing my fixed A2 sight post today with a YHM folding front sight/gas block so I can use the scope.

Guys over on Optics Talk are getting interested.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my Millet and thought it was looking like a winner.  It semed like a reasonable scope considering the price.  Unfortunately, I have to report that the third time I had it out f the wrapper, not mounted and never fired, the middle 1MOA dot expoloded.  Under illumination it now looks like many smaller dots, resembling a shotgun pattern.  

If I would have dropped it or tortured it somehow I would't be quite so disappointed.  This scope is brand new.  I checked it once in daylight, once at night that took it out yesterday to check to make sure I turned it off (I had).  So it has approx 5min or less of actual battery on.  Well it's done.  
I guess I will be the first here to see if Millet stands behind the product.  

I'm not dumping on the company or the product at this point since no one else is complaining.  Perhaps I got a dud.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]
rocketman223,

Sorry for your bad luck.  Keep us posted on how Millet get this issue resolved.

I'm just thinking outloud but is anyone else bothered how Millet can release a scope and have no informaiton on it's specs?

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#7]
yes. Keep us posted on Millett customer service.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By rocketman223:
I got my Millet and thought it was looking like a winner.  It semed like a reasonable scope considering the price.  Unfortunately, I have to report that the third time I had it out f the wrapper, not mounted and never fired, the middle 1MOA dot expoloded.  Under illumination it now looks like many smaller dots, resembling a shotgun pattern.  

If I would have dropped it or tortured it somehow I would't be quite so disappointed.  This scope is brand new.  I checked it once in daylight, once at night that took it out yesterday to check to make sure I turned it off (I had).  So it has approx 5min or less of actual battery on.  Well it's done.  
I guess I will be the first here to see if Millet stands behind the product.  

I'm not dumping on the company or the product at this point since no one else is complaining.  Perhaps I got a dud.  

That is bad luck.  I just mounted mine and also replaced my front A2 sight with a folder.  I plan to go to the range Friday.

I have played with the scope at home and so far so good.  The lighted reticle works well in low to no light.

Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree the first time I looked at it I was really pleased.  Now...not so much.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a range report for anyone still waiting for your to arrive. Sorry no pics yet.

After a Fed Ex scare with my box missing for a day, delivered to who knows where, mine arrived on Thursday. I am planning to get a Larue Mount a little later on but for now I mounted using GG&G Scout rail and some Weaver Lever Lok rings. On 1x I can see the front sight post in the lower 1/3. Oh ya it's mounted on a 16" flat top BCM upper.

Here is a few brief observations.

I shoot more up close personal and less 50 - 100 yards or longer. As I expected this scope is not as fast onto target as my Aimpoint, but it's pretty damn close. This scope was still fast to come onto target, disengage and quickly re-engage.  The illumination could not be seen on it's highest setting in the very bright light in the middle of the day.
This scope could definatly be used for CQB as well as for engagements beyond 100 yards. I look forward to putting this scope through it's paces at an upcoming carbine class but I'm still taking my Aimpoint just in case.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Well after a five week wait my DMS-1 finally arrive. Must say I am very please can’t wait to get it mounted and go to the range.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DRich] [#12]
I got mine last week and finally mounted it today.  Seems like decent glass considering the low price.  The illumination knob is very stiff, but I'm hoping it will loosen up a bit as I use it.  I'll put it through some paces later this week and see how it holds up.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the Millett DMS-1 mounted with Armalite mount and new YHM front folding sight and gas block

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#14]
looks great !
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: exocet] [#15]
according to the Millett rep posted on m4c.net:

Hello all

We are only shipping Gen 2 units of the DMS at this time. The shippments come in and are tested and shipped out to the dealers and Distributors as fast as they come in. We are currently back ordered for a least 1 month. but there will be a good number being shipped durning that month. By the end of July we hope to be caught up.

The DMS manual will be posted this wk on the Millett site.

Good shooting

Steve

m4c link
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Anybody know who still has the Gen 1 in stock?
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:31:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks exocet for the info above on availability and the manuals.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By MudBug:

Why are you interested in the Gen 1?  Is it because the illumination know is on the top of the turret as opposed to the side of it, as found on the GEN II??
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By urbankaos04:

Why are you interested in the Gen 1?  Is it because the illumination know is on the top of the turret as opposed to the side of it, as found on the GEN II??

Yup.

I got rid of my Meopta (which was a great scope) because of the illum knob being there on the left side. I have eye dominance issues and that knob gets in the way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
Here is the Millett DMS-1 mounted with Armalite mount and new YHM front folding sight and gas block

pixpipeline.com/s/78c682bc0251.jpg

Wow - that eyepiece assembly is pretty durn long - how's the eye relief in the Armalite mount?  Looks like a NTCH cheek weld would be pretty tight.

I'm thinking the LaRue mount or an extended rail would be needed to get the eyepiece out ahead of the charging handle, which is where I need my scopes to be.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Everybody has their own eye relief issues.

This works for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I just bought one of the Millett DMS-1's from Midway, and it turned out to be the 1st Gen model.  I didn't want the huge eyepiece with that big illumination knob on the top, so I sent it back.

Be warned, if you buy from Midway:  the 1st Gen model has the same manufacturer's item # as the 2nd Gen model, and Midway has no picture, no warning at all that you were getting the 1st Gen model when you ordered.  They're out now, and they claim that their next shipment will probably be the current model.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothing wrong with Gen 1

Going to the range today with it.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Went to the range today with the Millett DMS-1 mounted on the CAR-15.  Bottom line….excellent scope!
It is truly a “both eyes open” tactical scope at 1x power.  I put three rounds in the same hole at 25 yds.  Keep in mind that I only use my range bag for a rest in this case.
Next, out to 100 yds to verify the POI.  Adjusted POI and was grouping at 1-1.5 inches at 100 yds.  Again, I only used the range bag for a rest.
Then on to 200 and 250 yd steel tgts.  No misses…all hits.  Some of this shooting was unsupported.
This is one of the best scope/rifle combos I ever put together.
The illumination works well in low light as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By army_eod:
Went to the range today with the Millett DMS-1 mounted on the CAR-15.  Bottom line….excellent scope!
It is truly a “both eyes open” tactical scope at 1x power.  I put three rounds in the same hole at 25 yds.  Keep in mind that I only use my range bag for a rest in this case.
Next, out to 100 yds to verify the POI.  Adjusted POI and was grouping at 1-1.5 inches at 100 yds.  Again, I only used the range bag for a rest.
Then on to 200 and 250 yd steel tgts.  No misses…all hits.  Some of this shooting was unsupported.
This is one of the best scope/rifle combos I ever put together.
The illumination works well in low light as well.

thanks for the review ! I should have kept the scope.....lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#26]
UPDATE ON RETICLE FAILURE:
I emailed Millett describing the problem.  I got a reply the same day indicating I was the first one to report a problem with the optic.  They wanted me to send the optic back at once to solve the problem.  As it turns out I was too busy to send it until today, so before I did, I checked it.  It is perfect again.  I will keep it checking periodically for the problem.

I give Millett a big thumbs up for customer service.  A reply within 24 hours is pretty incredible.  

Thus, I'm back to smitten
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
If one of you get's a gen 1 and doesn't want it I will buy it from you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]

If one of you get's a gen 1 and doesn't want it I will buy it from you.

IM Sent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Which LaRue mount will allow me to keep my Matach on the rear of my rails?  The LaRue Tactical SPR-E LT-139 or LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 1.93" Mount QD LT-135?  I just
ordered a scope and need the mount.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Get the SPR-E. The SPR 1.93 s to cleat a PEQ2 in front.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#31]
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's a few nightvision pics until my 1.93 SPR mount shows.

1x with illumination on 1  viewed thru the PVS14

4x with illumination on 1 viewed thru PVS-14

I'll get better pics once I get the scope mounted.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#33]
very cool

I love my Gen 1
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#34]
good pics wes.  However I'm not sure I would use it very long piggy backing this optic.  Looks like the reticle is a wee bit bright.  How's it look w/out illumination?  Assuming it would work considering the black lines work but would probably easily wash out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
good pics wes.  However I'm not sure I would use it very long piggy backing this optic.  Looks like the reticle is a wee bit bright.  How's it look w/out illumination?  Assuming it would work considering the black lines work but would probably easily wash out.

I also would never mount any night vision on the back of any scope.(IR lasers are for aiming)Actually the reticle looked good, I was suprised that the reticle didn't bloom out.I thought I posted a non-illuminated pic, but I guess I lost it.Anyway, I posted the pics because someone always asks"is it night vision compatible?"Yes it works, but is useless over 2x IMHO.
BTW, my LT 1.93 SPR mount showed, so here's some more DMS-1 goodness....

Link Posted: 6/21/2007 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#37]
MIDWAY USA just received a new shipment of the Millett DMS-1s.  Don't know what Gen.

Link Posted: 6/22/2007 12:04:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LuisLeon] [#38]
I been running a aimpoint clones at 3-gun matches for two years, and while it has served admirably. I been looking for a moderately priced magnified optic to fit the bill for 3-gun. I read all the review here, and the capper was that my buddy did me the dis-service of allowing me to looking at/through his DMS-1 at our last local match.

I just ordered from Midway and am expecting it next week, I've been giving it up on the long range targets, hopefully this scope will help. Thanks to all who posted their reviews/findings on this scope.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 12:20:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#39]
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 2:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outofammo] [#40]
Just got mine.  
its gen. 2
check the EE, I have one NIB for sale for a friend who doesn't want it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2007 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I still don't understand putting a $250 scope in a $200 mount.
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By cpt_en_ca:
I still don't understand putting a $250 scope in a $200 mount.

I still don't understand a mount that costs $200

I know I know...it's QD and holds zero.

Not to mention it's the only one in its field w/ said capabilities especially for extended eye relief.

Also I understand that mounts are probably one of the most important parts of a glassed rifle.  

W/ that said....$200....seriously!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 5:26:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timlt] [#43]
The Larue isn't the only option.  The Rock River new scout rail, for only $55, actually gives you BETTER eye relief than the Larue, plus you have more flexibility in choosing the position and height of your rings.  And you can still buy Leupold QRW rings, if you must have the QD feature.  So for the RRA mount plus a $50 set of rings, you're talking just over $100.  

That said, I agree with the sentiment that this is an awful lot of hype over a 1-4x scope, with mediocre glass in it.  I've already had one, and sent it back, I wasn't terribly impressed with the optical quality.  I like the glass in the Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Tac scope a lot better, though of course it's not as good for CQ work, and is not illuminated.  But I'm not kicking in doors anyway, so I don't have a huge need for a 1- or 1.5x scope.
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Just got off the phone with Midway. The guy pulled one from stock and verified it has the illumination adjustment on the eye peice. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By timlt:
The Larue isn't the only option.  The Rock River new scout rail, for only $55, actually gives you BETTER eye relief than the Larue, plus you have more flexibility in choosing the position and height of your rings.  And you can still buy Leupold QRW rings, if you must have the QD feature.  So for the RRA mount plus a $50 set of rings, you're talking just over $100.  

That said, I agree with the sentiment that this is an awful lot of hype over a 1-4x scope, with mediocre glass in it.  I've already had one, and sent it back, I wasn't terribly impressed with the optical quality.  I like the glass in the Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II Tac scope a lot better, though of course it's not as good for CQ work, and is not illuminated.  But I'm not kicking in doors anyway, so I don't have a huge need for a 1- or 1.5x scope.

I have the Millett and the same Burris you do.  Both are great scopes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 9:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#46]

Originally Posted By timlt:
The Rock River new scout rail

Do you have one of these rails?  Just wondering how high it is, to find appropriate height rings...
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 9:56:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timlt] [#47]
That's good to know for folks considering ordering one.  Guess Midway had the inside scoop on some of the older stock or "Gen 1" scopes.  That's not to say they're bad; some folks in this thread report the Gen 1 scopes work fine.  I just think Midway should make it clear on their site that they are selling the "Gen 1" versions, though, so folks know what they're getting.

I do have the Rock River scout rail mounted, and it gives you about .45 to .50 of height.  With a smaller scope tube, you might be able to use "low" rings with some brands, or medium should work in a lot of cases too.  I gave that height range, because I didn't have my caliper handy, but just took an approximate measurement with a ruler.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Did you guys get batteries included with your scopes?
I have 2 and non of them came with batteries
Link Posted: 6/23/2007 12:37:47 AM EDT
[#49]
the battery for my scope was in the windage knob where the spare battery would be stored, that said, it doesnt come with a spare battery
Link Posted: 6/23/2007 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By nk1124:
the battery for my scope was in the windage knob where the spare battery would be stored, that said, it doesnt come with a spare battery

cool, thanks
Page / 41
Millet DMS-1 (Page 3 of 41)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top