Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 265
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have an idea what optics and accessories have been chosen. I hope NF wins the contract for the squad LPV, i want me a ATACR 1-8 on a clone build.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iMONOob11:
Anyone have an idea what optics and accessories have been chosen. I hope NF wins the contract for the squad LPV, i want me a ATACR 1-8 on a clone build.
View Quote
Not released/selected yet, I still don't know.

CD
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By iMONOob11:
View Quote
I can't and won't tell you my source but I can tell you this source is solid.

I was told essentially it will be a lot of the SOPMOD Block 2 accessories to begin with (LA-5, Elcan etc) BUT- with 1-6 and/or 1-8 powered variables. That's all I was able to squeeze out at this current time.

As things progress I'm sure we will see even more accessory changes over time. Just like with any other evolution, URG, or package
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

I can't and won't tell you my source but I can tell you this source is solid.

I was told essentially it will be a lot of the SOPMOD Block 2 accessories to begin with (LA-5, Elcan etc) BUT- with 1-6 and/or 1-8 powered variables. That's all I was able to squeeze out at this current time.

As things progress I'm sure we will see even more accessory changes over time. Just like with any other evolution, URG, or package
View Quote
Thanks, man!  
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

This. Aside from that one commercial SF 4 prong with the notches cut at the ends of each prong, I've never heard of or seen any other 4P.

I'm assuming they went back to gov't profile because of the longer mid-length gas? A SOCOM profiled mid-length would be heavy as shit. I still think that gov't is a shit profile. Like we were discussing in the Block II thread, a constant taper would be much better than gov't.
View Quote
I agree. If they like the Geissele rail and charging handle they could have went with a BCM EMW 14.5".
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:
Lots of information here.  Just spent some time with Geissele and with Daniel Defense at SHOTSHOW.

From the best I can tell, Geissele is providing their Mk16 rail and a version of their Air ambi ch.  There is a slight variation to what is provided the Army, from what they sell.  The Brownells version, is... just that.

Daniel Defense is providing the 14.5" Gov't profile barrel and their Mk12 gas block.  Barrel is standard Cr-Moly CHF Chrome lined.

DD told me that G is sending the parts, and DD is assembling, and DD is attaching the Surefire flash hider.  Originally, it was the three-prong WarComp, but field testing got too much garbage in the holes, so they went with a pure tine SOCOM flash hider.  To be fair, I go conflicting reports as whether it is the 3-prong, the old 4-prong, or the new 4-prong.  I did not hear that it was a middy.  I assumed it was a carbine barrel.  I have read enough external sources in the last four hours to assume that the middy is correct.  I have the engineering contacts at both firms, and can confirm, as well as with SF.

The Mk16 DD rail is very solid, and the award, I am told, is based (partially) on how the Mk16 connects to the upper receiver, with flanges that keep it from rotating.

I found the barrel choice interesting.  Interesting in two ways.  One, I would not have ever called a DD barrel for a DOD contract.  Why not Colt?  Next, it was Govt profile, and not SOCOM profile.  Thirdly, if it is a middy, that is a first.

The receiver and BCG are 100% Colt.  I am told that armourers at Fr. Bragg, Ft. Benning, etc., will determine whether to replace existing uppers or add new uppers and BCG.  Clearly, the upper shown with Brownells is not US Army.  It is a forge mark from Precision Forging, or something like that.  I know someone will correct me.  I think they are in CA, and also Sig uses them, if I remember.

No word on lowers, as they are "as is" from what I am told.  I would suspect that means SOPMOD stock, but that is my assumption.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
Then lastly, timing the Surefire 4-Prong for the individual Operator, left or right handed?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By samuse:

I agree. If they like the Geissele rail and charging handle they could have went with a BCM EMW 14.5".  
View Quote
Yup. Definitely much better options out there then the damn gov't profile.

Originally Posted By stoner63a:
Then lastly, timing the Surefire 4-Prong for the individual Operator, left or right handed?
View Quote
I time all pronged devices with the logo at top dead center and the index lug at 6:00. It's not like a Warcomp where timing it any other way would make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By stoner63a:
View Quote
Timing doesn't matter on a SF 4 prong.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This. Aside from that one commercial SF 4 prong with the notches cut at the ends of each prong, I've never heard of or seen any other 4P.

I'm assuming they went back to gov't profile because of the longer mid-length gas? A SOCOM profiled mid-length would be heavy as shit. I still think that gov't is a shit profile. Like we were discussing in the Block II thread, a constant taper would be much better than gov't.
They could have even custom ordered a profile. I'm not a fan of the BCMs because I don't like fluting and prefer a shoulder for the gas block but I like the idea of them. Even if they wanted the barrel to be at 1 lb 8 oz they could have taken the extra material at the end of the barrel and behind the gas block on the "Govt" barrel and moved it rearward. We were cursed with the adoption of the M16A2 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#10]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
They could have even custom ordered a profile. I'm not a fan of the BCMs because I don't like fluting and prefer a shoulder for the gas block but I like the idea of them. Even if they wanted the barrel to be at 1 lb 8 oz they could have taken the extra material at the end of the barrel and behind the gas block on the "Govt" barrel and moved it rearward. We were cursed with the adoption of the M16A2 barrel.
View All Quotes

Totally agree. Having that additional material past the gas block is a waste. Took a step backwards with this one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The USASOC URG-Is, 18K in number (over time), have DD MK12 gas blocks, set screwed only. Partially assembled at DD, shipped to Crane for inventory, sent to Bragg etc. for assembly.

The Geissele complete URG-Is will have G gas blocks, drilled and pinned, and have a self alignment feature.

The 10.3” variant will be out there soon.

No URG-Is in the wild yet from the USASOC side. There’s a few out there in select hands at this moment and running great.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GS5414:
The USASOC URG-Is, 18K in number (over time), have DD MK12 gas blocks, set screwed only. Partially assembled at DD, shipped to Crane for inventory, sent to Bragg etc. for assembly.

The Geissele complete URG-Is will have G gas blocks, drilled and pinned, and have a self alignment feature.

No URG-Is in the wild yet from the USASOC side. There’s a few out there in select hands at this moment and running great.

S/F
View Quote
GS

So the partially assembled kits are being supplied to the Army as well as complete uppers?

Or just the retrofit kits by themselves?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#13]

S/F
View Quote
OOOh this is getting good!  Amazing people with connections on this site.  Thank You!
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:
GS

So the partially assembled kits are being supplied to the Army as well as complete uppers?

Thanks
View All Quotes

S/F
GS

Thanks
I believe the complete upper he's referring to is the one Geissele is offering for commercial sale.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

I believe the complete upper he's referring to is the one Geissele is offering for commercial sale.
View Quote
So then basically URG-I is a M4 upper retrofit kit only
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]

So then basically URG-I is a M4 upper retrofit kit only
View Quote
Yes.

S/F
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Yes.

S/F
View Quote
Interesting. Thanks GS
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#18]

S/F
View Quote
Do we have a thread for that???
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
View All Quotes

S/F
I guess it will be this one? Technically with the Block II URGs they are both for use on M4A1 LRGs but come in 10.3" and 14.5" versions. There is no CQBR or anything like that. I would assume the URG-I will be the same way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]

S/F
View Quote
Great info. Thanks! So freaking frustrating they can't just supply the clone upper just as it will be assembled for mil use though with all the right parts assembled the same way. I know the pinned G gb is better and tougher, but the cut for the pin just adds salt to the wound for those that want a properly speced clone. Bill, pls fix. :(
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 1:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#21]
What's the "self-alignment feature" of the Geissele gas blocks? A dimpled barrel that the set screws will tension against on top of being pinned in place?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
So I guess it's safe to assume that the rail will clear the MK12 gas block.  The RIS II has a cut out for it and i know a lot of rails will touch it on the inside.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
So I guess it's safe to assume that the rail will clear the MK12 gas block.  The RIS II has a cut out for it and i know a lot of rails will touch it on the inside.
View Quote
I checked my MK14 which is supposedly slimmer than the MK16 and it fit. The M-LOK slot below may not be usable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#24]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
View Quote
You mean the MK16? They're being used together on these uppers and I highly doubt the rails or blocks are being modified for additional clearance, so I'd say it's safe to assume they're compatible.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I was planning on building a MK20/SSR is FN actually released it this year but that isn't happening. So the URGI will be my next project. I already have a complete Colt lower ready to go.

Also interested in the 10.3 variant as I already have a second CQBR that I switched over to a MK8 rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AZJBT:
I was planning on building a MK20/SSR is FN actually released it this year but that isn't happening. So the URGI will be my next project. I already have a complete Colt lower ready to go.

Also interested in the 10.3 variant as I already have a second CQBR that I switched over to a MK8 rail.
View Quote
You're going to have quite the duty rifle selection here soon. Here's Monday's duty rifle....Tuesday's....Wed....etc.  
Man I still need a SCAR 17 somethin fierce. Don't even want to know how much the Mk20 costs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:05:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#27]

View Quote
I plan on getting the new UGI for my birthday in April, then it all starts over.

I built a Block I and II this year and got a AEM5. Cloning is expensive

Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#28]

You're going to have quite the duty rifle selection here soon. Here's Monday's duty rifle....Tuesday's....Wed....etc.  
Man I still need a SCAR 17 somethin fierce. Don't even want to know how much the Mk20 costs.
View Quote
Haha, I want to run a LPVO on the URGI so that will disqualify it for a duty weapon.

My MK17 clone is my favorite. You need one.

My duty rifle is the most balanced SBR I have shot to date. I was running a Warcomp neutrally timed but I swapped it out for a CT for noise reasons. Can’t run the can on duty. I briefly switched to a EXPS3 but after a few times of picking the rifle up and having to mess with buttons I went back to the T1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 5:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#29]

Haha, I want to run a LPVO on the URGI so that will disqualify it for a duty weapon.

My duty rifle is the most balanced SBR I have shot to date. I was running a Warcomp neutrally timed but I swapped it out for a CT for noise reasons. Can’t run the can on duty. I briefly switched to a EXPS3 but after a few times of picking the rifle up and having to mess with buttons I went back to the T1.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209294/72C83896-0172-44EF-BC19-1572D0A08F53-436146.JPG
View Quote
@AZJBT

What's the noise difference between the open and closed tine Warcomp's that would make you switch from one to the other? I have an open tine, but no closed tine. I do have an SFCT556, which is basically a closed tine Warcomp without the top venting ports. I never noticed it being any quieter than my open tine Warcomp, but haven't done any back to back comparisons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MCDXXV] [#30]

@AZJBT

What's the noise difference between the open and closed tine Warcomp's that would make you switch from one to the other? I have an open tine, but no closed tine. I do have an SFCT556, which is basically a closed tine Warcomp without the top venting ports. I never noticed it being any quieter than my open tine Warcomp, but haven't done any back to back comparisons.
View Quote
I should have clarified I’m now running a closed tine flash hider (non warcomp version). As the shooter I can’t really tell the difference as far as noise. The warcomp definitely mitigates muzzle rise with a noticeable difference. The biggest issue I was having is when shooting with a team indoors. It’s not nearly as bad as traditional brakes/comps but still impacted others around me. Unfortunately on the street we’re not always afforded the luxury of eat pro.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

AZJBT doesn’t need a “YOU’RE FUCKED” dust cover:  his whole patrol rif says “YOU’RE FUCKED.”
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#32]
AZJBT doesn’t need a “YOU’RE FUCKED” dust cover:  his whole patrol rif says “YOU’RE FUCKED.”
View All Quotes

Lol no, no he doesn't. Not after that flak that kid got for killing Mr don't know how to obey commands. Then the public noticed his dust cover. I've always thought those dust covers were pretty dbaggish anyways.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209294/72C83896-0172-44EF-BC19-1572D0A08F53-436146.JPG
View All Quotes

Literally looks to be the perfect duty rifle to me. All the benefits of a CQBR but far lighter and you can leave your optic on 24/7. I like it
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#34]
I know some have a URG-I upper on pre order at Brownells. Here's another 10% off code, over $50 with free shipping,  if you missed the last one. NBH, today only.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody heard any rumors of when we might be able to order a Mk18 URG-I?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
View Quote
Mk18 or Mk16 ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:25:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:

Mk18 or Mk16 ?
View Quote
He's asking about a 10.3" version of the new URG-I.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
View Quote
It’s probably going to be a bit. All I’ve heard about it is 2 sources saying it’s in the works for the .mil side.....so I imagine it’s gonna be some time
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:31:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#39]
There shouldn't be any Mk18 Mod 2 with URG-I components at the moment.  URG-I is a USASOC, which is a ARMY command that is purchasing these weapon parts, not NSW which is a Naval command and puts out the Navy the Mk18 program.  Also gets confusing when Geissele calls the URG-I forearm a Mk16 in their naming system.  Nomenclature should be M4A1 URG-I 10.3"/14.5".

Right now as stated above the URG-I 10.3" is in the works but nothing diffident yet.

CD
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
There shouldn't be any Mk18 Mod 2 with URG-I components at the moment.  URG-I is a USASOC, which is a ARMY command that is purchasing these weapon parts, not NSW which is a Naval command and puts out the Navy the Mk18 program.  Also gets confusing when Geissele calls the URG-I forearm a Mk16 in their naming system.  Nomenclature should be M4A1 URG-I 10.3"/14.5".

Right now as stated above the URG-I 10.3" is in the works but nothing diffident yet.

CD
View Quote
Thanks, man. Good info. Agree on the naming issue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]

CD
View Quote
I'm surprised they stayed with 10.3" on the barrel considering they went mid length on the 14.5".
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By joglee:
I'm surprised they stayed with 10.3" on the barrel considering they went mid length on the 14.5".
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joglee:

CD
What does the fact that they went with a midlength 14.5" over a carbine 14.5" have to do with choosing a 10.3" barrel? What barrel length did you think would go with for a shorter upper?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Is the issued URG-I rail FDE?

I've been seeing photos and discussions stating that the issue rail is black?

I am contemplating buying the upper to break it down and use the right parts. Atleast the MK12 gas block. Will the upper receivers be Colt flat tops or are they sourced elsewhere?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#44]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Is the issued URG-I rail FDE?

I've been seeing photos and discussions stating that the issue rail is black?

I am contemplating buying the upper to break it down and use the right parts. Atleast the MK12 gas block. Will the upper receivers be Colt flat tops or are they sourced elsewhere?
View Quote
The issued URG-Is will have DDC rails and USGI M4/M4A1 upper receivers.

The Geissele/Brownell's URG-Is will have commercial M4 upper receivers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#45]
Originally Posted By mr_h:

BA made a run of hanson CHF chomeline middys....i just bought one and had decent groups at 75yds with 2MOA aimpoint.

BA chrome mid CHF
View Quote
I inquired what size the gas port was on this barrel. Here is the reply I received later that day.  ETA: OOS now.

Good morning,We appreciate the inquiry.  The gas port is .0785".  Please let me know if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#46]

Above is a Geissele marketing pic from Instagram.

I gave in and ordered the presale upper at Brownells and I'm working on a new 6920 for the lower.

This will be carried on duty and I'm not super concerned about being 100% clone accurate.  What buffer system would be best for the gun?  Vltor A5? Geissele Super 42?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fourxfour:
https://i.imgur.com/9T92iGd.jpg

Above is a Geissele marketing pic from Instagram.

I gave in and ordered the presale upper at Brownells and I'm working on a new 6920 for the lower.

This will be carried on duty and I'm not super concerned about being 100% clone accurate.  What buffer system would be best for the gun?  Vltor A5? Geissele Super 42?
View Quote
Since it's not a clone, I'd recommend a Vltor A5 7 position receiver extension with the heaviest buffer you can use and a Colt action spring. Then a stock like the Magpul SL or SL-S which will collapse all the way on the longer receiver extension.

You can stick with the stuff the 6920 comes with or swap to an H2 if you want to save money.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Since it's not a clone, I'd recommend a Vltor A5 7 position receiver extension with the heaviest buffer you can use and a Colt action spring. Then a stock like the Magpul SL or SL-S which will collapse all the way on the longer receiver extension.

You can stick with the stuff the 6920 comes with or swap to an H2 if you want to save money.
View Quote
Awesome!! Thank you for the info!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#49]
As far as I know, lower will remain the same.  Same stocks, buffer and springs as a Blk II.  Everything is speculation right now until the kits get issued and I start building guns.

CD
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:35:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: methical20] [#50]
In an Instagram post from earlier today, Geissele mentioned (in the comments) that they will be offering a non-pinned complete upper.

Definitely the best option for those looking add MK12 gas block/SF4P.
Page / 265
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top