AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 265
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By methical20:
In an Instagram post from earlier today, Geissele mentioned (in the comments) that they will be offering a non-pinned complete upper.

Definitely the best option for those looking add MK12 gas block/SF4P.
View Quote
Is that non-pinned barrel still 14.5? Or 16?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:12:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: h00n] [#4]
Pretty aggravating that DD (for the RIS II) and Geissele won't just sell the rails. It's literally the only part of the upper that I want.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By h00n:
Pretty aggravating that DD (for the RIS II) and Geissele won't just sell the rails. It's literally the only part of the upper that I want.
View Quote
I have a feeling Geissele will eventually, they're just a little busy to offer them just yet.  Doesn't make sense to list them and then have them as "out of stock" for 5 months
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By h00n:
View Quote
Just keep on politely asking for it on their social media. That's what I do. I'm sure eventually they will.

We kept on asking for a Rem 700 trigger for a long time, and finally they made one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Geissele needs to discontinue the MK13-14 and just make the 16 and maybe a 17 with Picatinny on the end.

No MLOK on the 45 is goofy and it looks like shit to have the different shaped holes and less functionality.  Just weird.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Geissele needs to discontinue the MK13-14 and just make the 16 and maybe a 17 with Picatinny on the end.

No MLOK on the 45 is goofy and it looks like shit to have the different shaped holes and less functionality.  Just weird.
View Quote
LOL... No. Not everyone needs Mlok on their Mlok so we can add more Mlok bro. I don't even use any of the Mlok slots. No need. Why do I need them on the 45s too?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

LOL... No. Not everyone needs Mlok on their Mlok so we can add more Mlok bro. I don't even use any of the Mlok slots. No need. Why do I need them on the 45s too?
View Quote
Who cares about function its all about form. Like he said its all about looks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:43:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There are merits to the MK8, MK14, and MK16. The MK8 is the sturdiest, coolest, largest, and plus shaped (some like this). The MK14 is the slimmest and lightest. The MK16 has M-LOK slots at the 45s. The MK16 isn't the sturdiest, the coolest, the largest, plus shaped, the slimmest, or the lightest. More people may want the MK16 and Geissele may discontinue the MK8 and MK14, but that doesn't mean the MK16 is objectively better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:48:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#12]
Double
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

There are merits to the MK8, MK14, and MK16. The MK8 is the sturdiest, coolest, largest, and plus shaped (some like this). The MK14 is the slimmest and lightest. The MK16 has M-LOK slots at the 45s. The MK16 isn't the sturdiest, the coolest, the largest, plus shaped, the slimmest, or the lightest. More people may want the MK16 and Geissele may discontinue the MK8 and MK14, but that doesn't mean the MK16 is objectively better.
View Quote
If Geissele needs to do anything, it is to sell the MK16 separately and in both colors.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RePp:
View All Quotes

Take a look at a picture thread and see how many people are running their light with an inline mount and/or a remote switch on one the top quadrants.

It's not all about looks, but when it looks goofy and it's less functional, when it would look better to make it more functional, then I say it looks like shit.

Look at KAC URX4, BCM MCMR, Noveske NSR,  Daniel Defense MFR, etc.  Then look at the MK13/14.  Yeah.  They fucked up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at a picture thread and see how many people are running their light with an inline mount and/or a remote switch on one the top quadrants.

It's not all about looks, but when it looks goofy and it's less functional, when it would look better to make it more functional, then I say it looks like shit.

Look at KAC URX4, BCM MCMR, Noveske NSR,  Daniel Defense MFR, etc.  Then look at the MK13/14.  Yeah.  They fucked up.
View All Quotes

Fucked up how? The purpose of the MK14 was to be a durable, thin, light rail for competition. Sounds like it does its job. On my carbines I have my lights mounted at the 10:30 or 1:30, but not all rifles are carbines. I'm actually not a fan of the MK14 on a carbine. However, I use a MK14 on my 22 lr trainer. The MK14 is a better choice than the MK16 for that application and other applications that don't require an offset mounted light.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope they offer in black eventually

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35055/26866443_579908155686162_1572002341513592832_n-447197.JPG
View Quote
That's no MK16.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#18]

View Quote
They work awesome as is. Of all my G rails its my favorite by far. I do look forward to trying the 16 though.

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Fucked up how? The purpose of the MK14 was to be a durable, thin, light rail for competition. Sounds like it does its job. On my carbines I have my lights mounted at the 10:30 or 1:30, but not all rifles are carbines. I'm actually not a fan of the MK14 on a carbine. However, I use a MK14 on my 22 lr trainer. The MK14 is a better choice than the MK16 for that application and other applications that don't require an offset mounted light.
View All Quotes

Everyone else has no problem making thin, light, durable rails with attach points on the 45, but Geissele can't?  Until they need to sell it to people who actually use their stuff?

They could've made that MK16 five years ago.  It's a round handguard with lotsa places to put shit.  Like everyone else makes and has been making.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]

That's no MK16.
View Quote
Thats what I was trying to figure out.

What is it?

Its got the crankshaft screws. But the qd socket in the mk8 location.

Is this a really early prototype?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#21]

What is it?

View All Quotes

That's no MK16.

What is it?

I don't know the nomenclature, but it was for the USMC version of the URG-I that is now dead. The screws also had slots like the HK rail.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Everyone else has no problem making thin, light, durable rails with attach points on the 45, but Geissele can't?  Until they need to sell it to people who actually use their stuff?

They could've made that MK16 five years ago.  It's a round handguard with lotsa places to put shit.  Like everyone else makes and has been making.  
View All Quotes

The rail is heavier when you have the M-LOK cuts instead of larger cutouts on the 45s. I don't disagree that there is a use for 45 M-LOK slots, just arguing that there is a point to the MK14.

Geissele should sell the MK16 separately as well as offer 9.5", 10.75", 11.62", and 15.25" lengths IMO. I'm okay with not offering black though
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
They work awesome as is. Of all my G rails its my favorite by far. I do look forward to trying the 16 though.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/6enbkp.jpg
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#24]

View All Quotes

To you maybe, but not to me. I use an X300U at the 12 position in front of a DD front sight. I don't use fancy VFGs or finger stops, or put a light at the 45 so I'd prefer there weight savings over Mlok for my Mlok on top of my Mlok. If you do, cool, but that doesn't mean the Mk13/14 is obsolete, or looks like shit (lol @that). In reality the URGI configuration is something a lot of people have been running for years, and the Army is just now catching up. Maybe not in exact components but in rail/barrel length for sure.

The Army could (and probably did in some capacity) have made a spec for this upper 5 years ago too. It's something everyone else makes, and had been making. I honestly think the hype around this set-up is kinda silly. Unlike Red Jacket it HAS been done before. But I know you clone guys get pretty worked up over this stuff so I ain't hating
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the Mk16 use the same barrel nut as a Mk14? I'm about to send a 6920 OEM 2 off for a chop and pin and might go with the Mk14 over the Mk8 if it means in the future I might be able to swap over to the Mk16.

Hope that makes sense, typing "Mk" way to many times.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MrMitch:
Does the Mk16 use the same barrel nut as a Mk14? I'm about to send a 6920 OEM 2 off for a chop and pin and might go with the Mk14 over the Mk8 if it means in the future I might be able to swap over to the Mk16.

Hope that makes sense, typing "Mk" way to many times.
View Quote
I don't see why they wouldn't be identical. I believe even the MK8 barrel nut works on the MK14.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#27]

I don't see why they wouldn't be identical. I believe even the MK8 barrel nut works on the MK14.
View Quote
It does, the reverse is not true though.  The MK8 nut has two slots cut in it for both screws, where as the MK14 only has one slot since the other screw sits lower and doesn't pass through the nut.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#28]
To you maybe, but not to me. I use an X300U at the 12 position in front of a DD front sight. I don't use fancy VFGs or finger stops, or put a light at the 45 so I'd prefer there weight savings over Mlok for my Mlok on top of my Mlok. If you do, cool, but that doesn't mean the Mk13/14 is obsolete, or looks like shit (lol @that). In reality the URGI configuration is something a lot of people have been running for years, and the Army is just now catching up. Maybe not in exact components but in rail/barrel length for sure.

The Army could (and probably did in some capacity) have made a spec for this upper 5 years ago too. It's something everyone else makes, and had been making. I honestly think the hype around this set-up is kinda silly. Unlike Red Jacket it HAS been done before. But I know you clone guys get pretty worked up over this stuff so I ain't hating
View All Quotes

The weight savings argument is silly.  You're looking at probably less than an ounce between the MLOK slots and the slots on the MK13/14.  The MK16 is a better, more though out handguard.  It would be way more popular than the 13/14. Geissele has been going all around the bullseye for five years with their rails.  They finally hit with the MK16 and it's some limited production thing?  WTFever.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The weight savings argument is silly.  You're looking at probably less than an ounce between the MLOK slots and the slots on the MK13/14.  The MK16 is a better, more though out handguard.  It would be way more popular than the 13/14. Geissele has been going all around the bullseye for five years with their rails.  They finally hit with the MK16 and it's some limited production thing?  WTFever.  
View All Quotes

Well this is now getting off track of the thread and into GD territory so I'll let you have your little opinion and leave it at that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone have a weight for what a URG rifle will weigh without optics/accessories?

For example, the M4A1 is 6.36lbs.

The URG/"M4A2" is X-lbs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Does anyone have a weight for what a URG rifle will weigh without optics/accessories?

The URG/"M4A2" is X-lbs.
View Quote
All I know is that the base rifle will be slightly lighter than a Block II URG.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:

The URG/"M4A2" is X-lbs.
View Quote
The block II quad-rail is a brick compared to the Mk16 handguard. I bet it is nearly half a pound lighter on paper, and noticeably faster in the handling characteristics.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
That was the USMC attempt to upgrade the M4 that they ditched in favor of the M27 for all path.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#34]
The rail is heavier when you have the M-LOK cuts instead of larger cutouts on the 45s. I don't disagree that there is a use for 45 M-LOK slots, just arguing that there is a point to the MK14.

Geissele should sell the MK16 separately as well as offer 9.5", 10.75", 11.62", and 15.25" lengths IMO. I'm okay with not offering black though
View All Quotes

Guys...mlok offset light mounts exist.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I have been shopping around for the middy govt profile barrel.  Just FYI, Spikes barrel has a .765 gas port but is about the same price as the DD barrel.  FN also makes one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
I have been shopping around for the middy govt profile barrel.  Just FYI, Spikes barrel has a .765 gas port but is about the same price as the DD barrel.  FN also makes one.
View Quote
Is this for cloning or just to get the same gas system and barrel length as issued? The Spike's is not a Govt profile from what I see on their website. Did you mean .076" gas port?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:54:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#37]
Yes I meant .0765 for the same type of set up, not an exact clone.  Pending a price on a GL Mk16, I can build my near URG-I for app $800.   No optic.

ETA;  Pez, you are correct.  Spikes has 2 14.5 mid barrels, 1 lightweight and 1 with a .750 GB that is not govt profile.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#38]
So what are you guys planning on building your clone URG-I's on?

The two options I've been tossing around is to buy a complete M4 marked Colt lower from Brownells or sending off an incomplete 80% to get engraved and anodized. I've heard there is some trouble with the Brownells Colt offering, that they're basically factory seconds and sold with incomplete roll stamps and and scratched up like they came loose packed in a plastic tote.

Pics from reviews at Brownells;

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ThRob:
So what are you guys planning on building your clone URG-I's on?

The two options I've been tossing around is to buy a complete M4 marked Colt lower from Brownells or sending off an incomplete 80% to get engraved and anodized. I've heard there is some trouble with the Brownells Colt offering, that they're basically factory seconds and sold with incomplete roll stamps and and scratched up like they came loose packed in a plastic tote.

Pics from reviews at Brownells;

http://i65.tinypic.com/n158w0.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/jf9afa.jpg

What says the hive?
View Quote
For cloning or just use? The proper lower would be M4A1 marked, not M4. Also US PROPERTY marked as well depending on how picky you are. I wouldn't say a semi Colt lower is necessarily a better clone lower than any other. It is the correct company but the markings and selector stops aren't correct. Functionally, the Brownell's lowers are fine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I just want the rail.  If it sells for $250 like the other G rails, I don't see $729 for the upper, barrel and gas tube on the stripped one Brownells has, and DAMN SURE not an extra $1129 to have the complete URG.

This is retarded.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I just want the rail.  If it sells for $250 like the other G rails, I don't see $729 for the upper, barrel and gas tube on the stripped one Brownells has, and DAMN SURE not an extra $1129 to have the complete URG.

This is retarded.
View Quote
This right here. Especially because they're using a generic BCG and upper receiver for the complete URG. I'm waiting for the rail to come out and that's it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]

This is retarded.
View Quote
Geissele MK16- $270?
Geissele ACH- $100?
Colt M4 upper and BCG- $200
Daniel Defense barrel- $275
Daniel Defense Mk12 gas block- $70
Daniel Defense gas tube- $16
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

Not counting shipping and coupon codes you're looking at around $1,150 for the clone correct parts (if available).
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Geissele MK16- $270?
Geissele ACH- $100?
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

Not counting shipping and coupon codes you're looking at around $1,150 for the clone correct parts (if available).
View All Quotes

This is retarded.
Geissele MK16- $270?
Geissele ACH- $100?
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

Is it confirmed that Geissele is using legit Colt M4 uppers and BCGs? I know for a fact that the Geissele URGI gas block isn't using the DD MK12 gas block.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:25:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#44]
Originally Posted By papabear1868:
Is it confirmed that Geissele is using legit Colt M4 uppers and BCGs? I know for a fact that the Geissele URGI gas block isn't using the DD MK12 gas block.
View All Quotes

This is retarded.
Geissele MK16- $270?
Geissele ACH- $100?
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

I would bet they aren't.

ETA:

The only way presently to get a 100% clone correct setup:

Geissele/Brownell's URG-I- $1380
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

$1850 plus shipping and minus any coupon codes and what you can sell the extra parts for.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I would bet they aren't.

ETA:

SureFire 4 prong- $200+

$1850 plus shipping and minus any coupon codes and what you can sell the extra parts for.
View All Quotes

This is retarded.
Geissele MK16- $270?
Geissele ACH- $100?
SureFire 4 prong- $200+

I would bet they aren't.

ETA:

SureFire 4 prong- $200+

Thanks for the analysis. If Brownells posts an unrestricted 10% off code I could see the value in getting the complete upper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#46]

I would bet they aren't.

ETA:

SureFire 4 prong- $200+

View Quote
Don't forget the cost of having the pinned/welded comp properly removed before screwing on that 4P. Some of you guys have the means to do so on your own, but guys like me will have to pay to get it done.  Just another added cost.

Also, it's been said that the URG's being released at Brownells are the only ones that will have a "secret sauce" DD barrels, and subdued markings on the charging handle and possibly subdued markings on the rail too.  Hardcore clone collectors go crazy over the smallest shit, especially markings, so in 5+ years the value of the uppers might exceed the initial inflated investment.

Don't believe me, look at prices on KAC M4 FF Vero Beach marked rails or DD MK18 FSP RIS II marked rails or KAC Christmas Cheer barrels or KAC 3T brakes or Gen 1 Ace stocks or ((insert expensive shit here))

But, that's only if those specific pieces are never released separately.......

I'm rolling the dice and grabbing an upper at Brownells.  I've had to play catchup with all my other clones trying to locate the exact parts I need.  I'd rather at least try to be ahead of the curve on this one and get the rare parts included with the complete upper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#47]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35055/26866443_579908155686162_1572002341513592832_n-447197.JPG
View Quote
This was a Mk15 M-Lok, 13.5", captured screws, built as a stand in for the Mk16 during USMC testing, testing which was compromised in several ways.

-Hammer
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#48]
This URG thing has me confused

First it was said Brownells ones would have Warcomps, then it was pulled back to SF3P. Then secret sauce special barrels, which the USASOC barrels are not, they are normal 4150. Then another product release and no delivery date on the horizon. What is going on?

Also, I don't get why they can't just sell the rails and charging handles as a package. That would satisfy folks that want those for what they are, and those that want clone correct guns. If it isn't Colt or FN uppers and bolts, and the wrong gas blocks, it isn't correct.

I get that the outsourced barrel and flash suppressor may have an increased cost to them, but why bother then? That means time assembling, pinning and welding which take lots of time, more people to do work, packaging, and more. I bet they would be able to make the same margins or more and save a lotta time selling just the rail and charging handle. The Brownells URGs don't make any business sense - is Geissele tone deaf to the market or something?

At these prices, what does it offer me a Knights upper doesn't?

@Sagmill - Please release just the rail and ACH! Listen to people here they are all saying the same thing!

-hammer
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Hammer7242:

At these prices, what does it offer me a Knights upper doesn't?
View Quote
DDC color
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 2:16:19 AM EDT
[#50]
I am building a shooter based on the URG-I.  I will probably use the DD barrel and Mk16 HG.  Everything else I will source elsewhere.  The barrel is the only critical piece for a shooter.  The Mk 16 is unique to the URG so I will wait for it while I slowly acquire the other pieces.  Mine will not be a true clone. Took me 7 years to build my SPR type.   Besides I am sure eventually CD will have mutt builds with a mix of Blk II and URG-I.
Page / 265
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top