Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#1]
got mine yesterday via fedex.

great set up for the price, got mine and put my IIIa panels and it was a good fit. the only complaint really is that the panels sit low in the carrier and the upper chest is exposed and not compartment for the trauma plate. i got four 2x mag carriers and loaded up its pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i will however most likely still be at the hospital with the wife giving birth

I could make some off color joke about "Priorities" here, but nah.....
MAZEL TOV!

-You miss the point here son.
-His priorities are right-on.  Instead of taking money away from his family by purchasing an outrageously expensive vest (i.e. Eagle), he bought  a cheaper one.
-Survival/preparedness is a way of life, not a hobby.  Get the mindset . . . .
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he meant he should have been writing up a review instead of waiting at the hospital!
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Stick - I - cuz I am bright and haven't checked this thread in a while - didn't know this was what you were talking about. I will start at the begining and read up.

Thank you for the IM
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been looking at these things for a while, but wondering about their durability.  Anbody know what denier nylon is used in their construction?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]

What I have here isn't the same as those you are asking about, but they look to be quiet similar to those that CTD advertises as their MOLLE Rifle Magazine Pouches. I bought these from some seller on Ebay last year, out of curiosity. Anyway, CTD advertises theirs as capable of holding 30rnd AK mags. I'm not really finding that to be the case with these that I have... not to my satisfaction, anyway.

If your looking for AK mag pouches

Look at the Black Hawk Triple mag pouch.  I says it will hold 9 AR mags and 6 AK mags.  It really does.  I have staggered jungle clamped mags and it fits them perfectly, with room to spare.

Best picture I have.  There is a padded divider that seperates the rear 2 mags from the front 1.  I removed it to use clamped pouches.  I tried cramming 3 AKs in it and they did fit.  The pouches are very deep, I'm not sure how AR mags would work since I don't have any.  They fully close over the mags with about half an inch of room
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Stick,

Just in case my IM got zapped by the server, I was hoping you could provide some pix of the AUC and OD.  I'm not sure which to get sinc I have Black and Multicam (sort of lol).
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#12]
thx for putting this together.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Stick, you're right on the server.  I'm having issues getting the PMs through to you.  Let me know if you didn't get my response to last one you sent.
ETA:  On the way.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Question on Dump Pouches.  Where is the best place to mount it on your chest rig?  I've been pondering this and just not sure.

Different positions: In vehicle vs not in vehicle or is there a place that works in both situations?
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, Stick.  I'm thinking they should be plenty durable for as much use as I'll need it for....
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]

These are made out of 600 Denier Nylon.

Just wondering what that means in layman terms.  Is there a way to gauge that (ie: sheet thread count)?  What do the other companies use?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Question on Dump Pouches.  Where is the best place to mount it on your chest rig?  I've been pondering this and just not sure.

Different positions: In vehicle vs not in vehicle or is there a place that works in both situations?

I keep mine on my first line belt, but only if I'm retaining mags with rounds in them. Otherwise, I just drop the mag.

This is a neat looking/sounding rig for the money. I might just grab one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

These are made out of 600 Denier Nylon.

Just wondering what that means in layman terms.  Is there a way to gauge that (ie: sheet thread count)?  What do the other companies use?  Thanks.

Quality gear makers use 1000 denier.

I have one on the way, I just have to see one of these.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I work at the CTD retail store, and I must say this rig is pretty damn impressive. Its a whole world better than the usual imported gear. I have been selling quite a few of them lately. I think I may have to pick one up myself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:04:01 AM EDT
[#20]
hey stickman, would you have detailed pics of the pistol mag pouch that is offered from ctd? like close ups on the flap and how it attatches?
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Fort Worth, so I went by Cheaper Than Dirt! yesterday to get a look at this stuff.  I did not find any of the plate carriers or chest rigs on the shelf.  I am really interested in a more stripped down chest rig anyway - I wish they would knock off the BHI S.T.R.I.K.E. Commando chest rig.  The plate carrier looks way too hot for Texas!  

They did have a few of the pouches though.  I am  guessing the brand name of this is "Mil-Spec Plus", sold with the tag lines "Enhanced Tactical Gear" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing".  The pouches seemed very nice, and were placed right next to some Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. items on the shelf.

Googling for "Mil-Spec Plus"/+ and variations with those tag lines really only turned up this interesting article:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Defensewatch_071905_Quigley,00.html

and a lot of the same (and a few different) pouches at http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/.  I wish there was a manufacturer site where you could see all their wares.  I don't like that CTD and Major don't explicitly list the brand of each item.  A lot of this gear is okay for light to pretty serious use, but like the UTG/Under the Gun/Leaper's gear I'd take a pass on.  Strictly for the Airsoft set, IMHO, nad not for serious Chairborne users like myself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 5:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Dudes:
Not trying to hijack or run under Stick, but those looking at buying one that have not already done so might want to wait.  Stick is looking at putting together a group buy on these, and the savings looks like it could be pretty good on an already good deal.
Redhed:  Check with Stick on the chest rig.  He might just ahve a line on something you may be interested in.
Stick, if I'm over the line I'll back off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I am interested in buying one....  Let me know on how the setup of the group buy is going- if at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Stick is working on it, and after staff gives it approval it will go up in the group buy forum.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't think you are doing anything wrong- you are just trying to spread the word.  Stick IMd me as well and might have IMd everyone as well, but it's nice of you to let everyone know- even though Stick already did.  No harm no foul, right?

I can't wait.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]
This sounds good to me.  I would be in for one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The group buy is approved, and the thread will be up in the group buy section today.  I had meant to have it up and running last night, but I ended up a little busier than I had thought.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#29]
please post a link in this thread when it is up
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Group Buy Thread

I don't do much in the way of writing ads, so try not to laugh to hard, if you see any mistakes, or have questions, please feel free to let me know, or post it in the thread.

I'll get more pictures up of it as well.

woot...ur first ad !!!.....good job....picture speaks thousands of word anyways
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Anyone get the Coyote version yet?

Would you say the color is more khaki, tan or brown?

I got it.

The "Coyote" is an exact match of the middle brown in the DCU pattern.  That is, the DCU has a dark brown, a tan (mostly), and a lighter  brown.  The Coyote is an exact match of the middle brown.  The compairson was made with both USGI issue DCU and SPEC-OPS DCU.

By the way, the SPEC-OPS pouches (X-system) are a solid fit on this vest.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First post on page 1 looks like a black carrier to me, but I will take your word for it.  :)  Probably just my bad eyes.

This looks Black?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/CTD6.jpg

They're not still making black and white montitors are they?Here:
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/MOLLE-134.jpg

So if I ordered the OD green color one, would it be just like in the first post which is a bit dark? Or is it like on the CTD website where it's a bit lighter green?
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I think its teh darker green.

I think the first picture didn't have enough light and teh CTD one has way too much light added.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think the first picture didn't have enough light and teh CTD one has way too much light added.

Yes on both accounts.  Does this help at all?:
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the answer dump1567 and metalsaber
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Eagle and Blackhawk are all Chinese anyway, correct?

Even worse.....Made in Vietnam!

At least Blackhawk is..........not sure on Eagle though

Eagle is made in Missouri.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes on both accounts.  Does this help at all?:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Dump1567/pouch1.jpg

Perfect.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quality gear makers use 1000 denier.

I have one on the way, I just have to see one of these.

Mud

Call me when you get yours in. I'd REALLY like to take a look at this.

Though I admittedly have a conflict of interest (being a purveyor of tactical nylon gear), I continually find it educational on how folks will spend $500 for a handgun, then spend $25 for a gun show nylon POS holster and complain about it's quality.

Same thing here, IMO.  Folks will spend $800+ for a rifle, hundreds on body armor then spend $80 for something to carry all their battle gear in.  About the only sub-$80 system I believe is worthwhile are the Pattern 83 South African Assault Vests (the real, Nutria Brown ones, not the POS knock-offs).  When you can find these, they're the best value out there.

So, Mudbug, when you get it, I'd like to see it so I can either confirm, or debunk, my idea that one shouldn't be buying cheap (not just inexpensive) gear for something they plan to use in a life-or-death situation.

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Mud

Call me when you get yours in. I'd REALLY like to take a look at this.

I had already planned on it as I posted in that other thread.

I like doing these little experiments and often I am rewarded with something serviceable.

You read my reasoning in the other thread, I think this stuff will work just fine for my plan, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Same thing here, IMO. Folks will spend $800+ for a rifle, hundreds on body armor then spend $80 for something to carry all their battle gear in.

I agree with you 100%.  If I was going to the sand box or needing "real equipment", this won't be it.  But for trips to the range, LEO call out,  shooting classes, weekend warriors, mall ninja's, tactical plumber's, or SHTF on a budget, this equipment will fit the bill.  I have quaility gear, but if I want to thrash around in something, this is it.  For the price, I don't think you can beat it.  I spend more than $60.00 going out to dinner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys, I think I figured out who really makes this stuff.  Check www.condoroutdoor.com  All the things that are available on CTD seem to be located here.  Plus it has a little bit more info.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I would rather have a CIRAS but don't intend to spend the money.  This works perfectly for me.  I wore mine today at the range and it worked great.  I'm really impressed.  I just need to rig up a belt to take some of the pressure off my shoulders.  My back hurts after an hour or so of wearing it.  I have the same problem with the military issue Interceptor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
OK. Mine just showed up.

Over all the construction seems like it will hold up for my purposes, but it as one glaring design flaw.

If you look at this picture where the sides overlap you can see it.

The part that over laps curls up so that all the velcro won't engage. They didn't make allowences for all the padding in this thing. They needed to make the top layer of material longer (1/2" - 1") so that it would wrap over the padding.

Other than that I'll be happy as long as it fits standard Soft armor inserts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#47]

The part that over laps curls up so that all the velcro won't engage. They didn't make allowences for all the padding in this thing. They needed to make the top layer of material longer (1/2" - 1") so that it would wrap over the padding.

It's not as bad once you insert your soft armor.  Most soft armor front panels won't extend to the end.  That's why I recommended TT's IBA/Interceptor Buckle Kit to help cinch this area down.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I think I figured out who really makes this stuff.  Check www.condoroutdoor.com  All the things that are available on CTD seem to be located here.  Plus it has a little bit more info.

That seems to be the same gear.  How could they be so right with most of their stuff, but be so wrong on their pistol mag pouches?
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I got mine in last week and have had several opportunities to try it out.  I replaced the foam inserts with a set of level IIIA PACA panels and they fit very well.  I am very satisfied with this vesy for the price.  I have since ordered and received the hydration carrier and the shotgun ammo pouch and am not quite as satisfied with these.  

The hydration carrier is as tall as the back of the vest so I will not be able to attach my marker panel if I want to use the hyrdation which is a bummer because I am required to have that marker panel on.  I don't think I can put it over the hydration pouch due to the shape of the pouch and length of the marker panel.  I will say that the hydration pouch and insert seem to be of decent quality.

The shotgun ammo pouch I intended to use for the spare magazines I carry for my HS Precision bolt gun.  The pouch is an ideal size for this but when I attach the pouch to the vest and try to lift the flap on the pouch, the entire pouch lifts off of the vest making it very difficult to release the velcro.  The straps on the back of the pouch aren't long enough to go through two levels of the molle webbing on the vest.  I am fairly new to molle equipment and I'm hoping someone will correct me on my method of attaching this pouch but if I did it correctly, it will not work for me.  I'm open to ideas from anyone and I'll give them a shot and post the results here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#50]
So, What is thg deal with the pistol mag pouches?  I know Stick said they open backwards, so does that mean the attachment point is at the back (right next to the wearer)?  If so, yeah, WTF?

Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems to be the same gear.  How could they be so right with most of their stuff, but be so wrong on their pistol mag pouches?hinking.gif
condoroutdoor.com/images/products/ma7003-f.jpg

Page / 10
Top Top