Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
So the SIG 556 has been on the market for about a year... and has sold to the tune of around 7500 rifles....

It would be interesting to know:   How many years was the original 55x series available for in the US?  How many were sold during that period?

It would not surprise me to find out that the 556 has already surpassed the original 55x series... in its limited time on the market.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"Why would he have too? The 556 is made in Exeter, NH; the 55x is made in Switzerland. One is built for the commercial firearms market the other a military industrial complex to military oversight. So unless there’s a bunch of Swiss Army QC inspectors monitoring the line in New Hampshire, it's a pretty safe bet that the 556 is NOT built to the same standards as the 55x."

I can promise you Joe F. runs and hides when the Swiss QC team visit.  And its apparent with his first 4500 rifles. It seems the team at the NH plant is a little green. But this is a good thing too because they are willing to be a little more innovative.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can promice you Joe Forester runs and hides when the Swiss QC folks visit. And its apparent with his first 4500 rifles. It seems the team at the NH plant is a little green.

Other than the rail issues on some of the early examples... what are the "apparent" quality issues you speak of?  Can you share your experiences?  How many examples have you owned/fired?  You mention the 1st 4500 examples.. what problems did you encounter on examples after the first 1500 or so?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at how long it took them to get the upper and the lower to match in color. I think the rifle is solid now. They couldn't get the gun to the market  for what 13 months.

The folks in NH are good gun folk. But . . . they sure haven't been making firearms to
-/+.001 tolerances for 30 years and it somewhat shows.

By the way slag their are only 450 550's in the USA.

#4500 have the new pistol grip but just in case...
the pistol grip that fits flush with the trigger guard. The first models had a trigger guard that stuck out and there was a big gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard. It looked really uncomfortable to hold and would chafe the shit out of your middle finger.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By the way slag their are only 450 550's in the USA. I helped design www.sig-550.com

Do you know how hong they were offered?  BTW... the cosmetic "issue" in color was fixed a whole lot sooner than 4500+ rifles...
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If the Masada wasn't coming out I would buy one in a heartbeat.

It has a reputation among shooters as an accurate, reliable carbine that takes readily available AR mags.

I am not concerned with semantics about rock in mags, I like folding stocks but am not going to lose sleep.

The lack of sights sucks really, really, really bad though.

If Magpul folded tomorrow, as soon as I was done drowning my sorrow in bourbon, I would call my guy and get a Sig 556 on the way.  

I agree that the stuff Sig is coming out with next year looks really exciting.  I would dearly love to have a 552 SBR but live in a non NFA state.  

Talk about Kool-aid*.

For what it is worth, the only people calling the Masada accurate and reliable are people who stand to profit from their sale. When and if they get out in numbers these observations will mean something.

So far, it is a prototype from an exciting upstart rifle maker. But one to date- without a single rifle for sale.

The SIG on the other hand comes from a lineage dating back 140 years. Big difference.

That won't change what people think of the 556, though. It is treading on the hallowed ground of the M16/AR15/M4, and to make its' mark, it will have to do more than show up in black with SIG rollmarks.

* Reverend DB- you ain't alone. I am convinced Magpul's rifle will be a good one and will sell plenty. More than 7,000 annually? Probably not, but I won't bet against it  
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
nevermind I'll start a new thread
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I own an original 551 and several 556's.  So anyone who say they can tell the difference between the 550/1 internals is a lying ass....  Know why, because the internals are MADE .... at  Swiss Arms....  Dumb asses!!!  

Before you spout shit, know your facts.  The 556 uses many swiss parts; barrel(imported unfinished), fire control parts, the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block, and charging handle.   The receiver is made here, the gas piston, lower, gas tube, and infact the stock, pistol grip and forarm are from Israel.  My guess is that the receiver rails and trunion, may have begun in as a swiss arm part in the raw, but that is my opinion...  Maybe even the receiver flat may have be swiss.

What I am saying is the 556 is a 551 without the spit shine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#9]

+1

and for half the price...Retail price for the Sig 55x is $2500+ in Switzerland...
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I own an original 551 and several 556's.  So anyone who say they can tell the difference between the 550/1 internals is a lying ass....  Know why, because the internals are MADE .... at  Swiss Arms....  Dumb asses!!!  

Before you spout shit, know your facts.  The 556 uses many swiss parts; barrel(imported unfinished), fire control parts, the bolt, bolt carrier, gas block, and charging handle.   The receiver is made here, the gas piston, lower, gas tube, and infact the stock, pistol grip and forarm are from Israel.  My guess is that the receiver rails and trunion, may have begun in as a swiss arm part in the raw, but that is my opinion...  Maybe even the receiver flat may have be swiss.

Wait a minute..... You OWN a 551 and 556's and claim they are similar? I had a sneaky suspicion all along they were (sarcasm).  Isn't it funny how some say one is a "complete hunk of shit", yet they would buy 5 or 10 of the other?

Could you tell us and some of the stubborn members who are heavily invested in trashing the 556 what your 551 does that the 556 wont do based on first hand experience? Does it yodel? One member, whom I think may have been exterminated :) said the 556 was inferior because it lacked the "Swiss seal". How do you think this affects the 556? Perhaps the 556 disintegrates after a few thousand rounds and the rifle bearing the "swiss seal" keeps going like the Eveready bunny?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 3:31:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

and for half the price...Retail price for the Sig 55x is $2500+ in Switzerland...

And what do you think that would translate to if you found one here? $1200 for the 556 doesn't look so bad afterall.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 3:59:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The 55x is $2500 in CH because the dollar is weak in Europe. If the rifle is the sum of it's parts, and most of it's parts are made in CH, than theres no real reason a 55x sold in the US wouldn't cost $1200, or a 556 in CH $2500.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The 55x is $2500 in CH because the dollar is weak in Europe. If the rifle is the sum of it's parts, and most of it's parts are made in CH, than theres no real reason a 55x sold in the US wouldn't cost $1200, or a 556 in CH $2500.

Your logic is wrong... price of parts is a minor sum of the economics at work...

Anyway... back to the topic.  The reason the 556 has been a complete success in the US is because the rifle is fantastic... in spite of what the uninformed internet commandos have to tell on it.  With more models rolling out... their will be more 556 fans... and eventually it won't be "cool" anymore to trash the 556, and the commandos will move on to some other rifle to bash... such is the way of the internet commando.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#14]
LOl, so true, Slag.  I remember when the Masada and the XCR were getting trashed.  Now they are the Big Deal.  That was right here on this forum.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The 556 uses many swiss parts; barrel(imported unfinished),

Which is barely more than a round rod which is meaningless.  The important work on the barrel is done in the US.

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your logic is wrong... price of parts is a minor sum of the economics at work...

Anyway... back to the topic.  The reason the 556 has been a complete success in the US is because the rifle is fantastic... in spite of what the uninformed internet commandos have to tell on it.  With more models rolling out... their will be more 556 fans... and eventually it won't be "cool" anymore to trash the 556, and the commandos will move on to some other rifle to bash... such is the way of the internet commando.

How many 550 series guns do you own or use regularly?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is my logic wrong? Product is parts and labor. As has been said, most of the parts are CH made, and some of the labor is US. If the labor to complete the 556 was CH, than it WOULD cost the same as the 55x. How is this logic flawed?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You MAY want to reconsider that position in light of a few simple facts:

(1) I just spent $116 CHD on a few parts. The transfer to my Visa was around $109 USD. I don't call that weak.

(2) In the "old days" before the "Bush Ban" I bought a 550, then a 551. I paid, roughly $2400-$2500 for each rifle. A typical AR15, back then cost about $400. I'll let you do the math from there to calculate what a 55X (all things being equal in relative value) "should" cost with TODAYS money. :) .

(3) TODAY, In Canada, a new 550 (PE90) runs about $3000 Canadian Dollars. Do the exchange and see how many USD that translates to (hint: about $2971).

(4) When I handled the 556 and examined the internal parts at SS last year, I sold all my 55Xs (at a HEFTY profit!). That is how I felt about the 556s (I DID keep a couple lowers to retrofit the gun to basically the same quality level of weapons I sold at stupid prices). I have not regretted it yet.  When retrofitted with the 551 lower, the guns feels exactlythe  same as a 551, except the 556 forearm offers MUCH better insulation from the heat of the barrel than a 551 forearm.

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(1) I just spent $116 CHD on a few parts. The transfer to my Visa was around $109 USD. I don't call that weak.

(2) In the "old days" before the "Bush Ban" I bought a 550, then a 551. I paid, roughly $2400-$2500 for each rifle. A typical AR15, back then cost about $400. I'll let you do the math from there to calculate what a 55X (all things being equal in relative value) "should" cost with TODAYS money. :) .

(3) TODAY, In Canada, a new 550 (PE90) runs about $3000 Canadian Dollars. Do the exchange and see how many USD that translates to (hint: about $2971).

(4) When I handled the 556 and examined the internal parts at SS last year, I sold all my 55Xs (at a HEFTY profit!). That is how I felt about the 556s (I DID keep a couple lowers to retrofit the gun to basically the same quality level of weapons I sold at stupid prices). I have not regretted it yet.  When retrofitted with the 551 lower, the guns feels exactlythe  same as a 551, except the 556 forearm offers MUCH better insulation from the heat of the barrel than a 551 forearm.

alpinetek.netfirms.com//guns/SG55X/551_556tn.jpg

What I'm trying to figure out then, is why a 55x costs $2500 when the 556 is $1200, and is made from the same parts. If it's not the cost of labor or the cost of parts, then why would there be such a huge disparity in price?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Look at how long it took them to get the upper and the lower to match in color. I think the rifle is solid now. They couldn't get the gun to the market  for what 13 months.

The folks in NH are good gun folk. But . . . they sure haven't been making firearms to
-/+.001 tolerances for 30 years and it somewhat shows.

By the way slag their are only 450 550's in the USA.

#4500 have the new pistol grip but just in case...
the pistol grip that fits flush with the trigger guard. The first models had a trigger guard that stuck out and there was a big gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard. It looked really uncomfortable to hold and would chafe the shit out of your middle finger.

FWIW, the original series has the same gap between the pistol grip and trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I just dont get it.  I like the fact it uses STANAG mags.  It feels like a solid rifle and the handguard isnt bad in my book even though I like the old Sig handguards.  What I dont get is why make such a great rifle and put a Tapco abortion stock on it?  From my vantage point thats the only weak spot.  

I wont ever call it utter crap but quit putting AR stocks on everything!!!!  Hell, we've been trying like hell to get rid of it on the AR platform, why would you put it on a brand new rifle?
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Price difference between the two is caused by the better looking finish on the 550 series, the rear sight(diopter of that quality is expensive, makes an HK one look like it was made in China), front sight, folding rear stock(head and shoulders above any AR15 type stock)and the stamped steel lower on the 550 series is more expensive to make than the aluminum CNC one on the 556.  Oh yeah the swiss cress and such.  The rear diopter housing hole and the swiss cress on the trunion are made to accept a scope mount in a very slick way.  Did I mention the diopter sight, and how nice it is.

I for one would be willing to pay extra for a 551 clone but I bet many are not, despite what they say.  In fact if the swiss folder was added to the 556 lower and a swiss diopter was put on the 556 I would sell my 551 in a heart beat, ok maybe not...
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I'm trying to figure out then, is why a 55x costs $2500 when the 556 is $1200, and is made from the same parts. If it's not the cost of labor or the cost of parts, then why would there be such a huge disparity in price?

Let me help you figure this out.
The 556 is a cheap "sorta" copy of the 55X. I stated this from the beginning, years ago, when I found out about the production of the rifle. All I got was argument about the very existence of the gun. Now that everyone HAS discovered it IS real, all anyone wants to do is argue about exactly what the 556 "is".

The receiver body is made in a cheaper fashion and to lower (albeit certainly acceptable) standards. The finish, alone, in both the upper and lower,  reflects a significant difference in production costs.

The lower is made cheaper (again, acceptable, though), as is the barrel. The internals where you "feel" the difference in the shooting experience of this gun and it's competitors, are, IMHO, comparable to the original 55X rifles' workings. IF you go to the trouble to retrofit a 556, as I and others are doing, you will spend close to the same amount a Canadian would spend on a PE90 (550) or 551 rifle. Still this will be, at it's most, about 1/3 the current selling price of an original 55X in the USA.

If you shoot a 556 alongside a 551, you can feel the difference in quality of the two weapons. Place a 551 lower on the 556, and shoot it alongside a 551, and you will feel NEGLIGIBLE difference between the two (your groups will tighten, as well)!

In either configuration, IMHO, a stock 556 gives you as close an experience to a 55X as can be had for the money (which, incidentally, was the original objective in the design for this gun!!)!

Viewing the promotional and armorers videos (I have both) will show you the obvious differences in the strict guidelines in the development of the original 55X receiver, as well as demonstrate the justification for the higher cost.

If SIG DOES decide to more closely mimic a SwissArms 55X, expect the price tag to reflect the changes that will be necessary to accomplish this.  Until that day, you can do it yourself for about the same money, and have a weapon that YOU will feel that you, pretty much, built yourself and will take more pride in than a simple store purchase.

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

(4) When I handled the 556 and examined the internal parts at SS last year, I sold all my 55Xs (at a HEFTY profit!). That is how I felt about the 556s (I DID keep a couple lowers to retrofit the gun to basically the same quality level of weapons I sold at stupid prices). I have not regretted it yet.  

I find that really hard to believe.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(4) When I handled the 556 and examined the internal parts at SS last year, I sold all my 55Xs (at a HEFTY profit!). That is how I felt about the 556s (I DID keep a couple lowers to retrofit the gun to basically the same quality level of weapons I sold at stupid prices). I have not regretted it yet.  

No problem . I get that a lot.

You speak as a man of conviction and experience with the 55X system. As a fellow enthusiast, I'd be interested to see some pics of of YOUR 55X collection, and read about some of the interesting things you've done with them.

Take a look at some of my projects I've done in the past.

Most, if not all, of these were situations where I was the first guy to jump on and try to  undertake them, then share info how to do them online.  NOW... they are pretty commonplace projects. They are not all "gems".. some are real "stinkers" and forced me to associate with unsavory participants in the field.

I was one of the first guys to start hacking up SL8s to make G36 clones, then post info on how to do them. I have a LOT of info on the SL8 that I get daily emails from people who SAY that they have gotten some benefit  from the site. I was THE FIRST GUY to start Dying SL8s, AUGS, etc.. to colors like BLACK, PURPLE, GREEN, etc.. .

I built one of the first legal MSG90 clones, and the FIRST to provide info for others to do similar projects.

I've been working on a Domestic 551 clone project for several years and making great headway, before abandoning my primary direction to incorporate the 556 into the project.
I don't think there is more "smithing" info on the 55X series weapon anywhere than my site.

I was pretty much, the First guy I know of to actually shoot my SIGS a lot and actually "hack on" them.  Most other owners were scared of devaluing their little safe queens. I was one of the few places you could get SIG 55X "spare parts for a while. I sold a LOT of kits to owners who were smart enough to grab them while they were available.

Here's a pic of a 551 I chopped down to get rid of the ugly gas ring to make the gun more reminiscent to a 551 SWAT.

Almost EVERY one of these projects, when I discussed them on forums such as this one,  were met with "you can't do that", or "it wouldn't be worth it.. too risky a project", then , eventually, a lot  became commonly done projects.

I believe as the quality of the 556 improves, the value of the 55Xs will begin to become static. I sold my guns, at what I think was the HEIGHT of their value. That move has funded a lot of "new fun" for me. I see 55xs posted regularly for sale (doesn't mean they actually sold, of course)  at prices that are usually LOWER than I was able to get for mine.

I present this to you because I appreciate your opinion and I  enjoy the interaction with, apparently experienced hobbyists, such as yourself, and to encourage you to share, with me, your exciting contributions to this hobby. Please fell free to email me personally (if you are modest) my addy is [email protected].
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem . I get that a lot.

You speak as a man of conviction and experience with the 55X system. As a fellow enthusiast, I'd be interested to see some pics of of YOUR 55X collection, and read about some of the interesting things you've done with them.

Oh this should be rich... asking scottryan to see picts of HIS 55x collection.  I suspect it is a vast collection of both 55x and 556 rifles... based on all of his "expert" experience on this platform.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Oh this should be rich... asking scottryan to see picts of HIS 55x collection.  I suspect it is a vast collection of both 55x and 556 rifles... based on all of his "expert" experience on this platform.

Exit stage left.........Scottryan suddenly leaves the thread.

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am sure the SIG556 has out sold the FS2000 and XCR as it can be purchased for a whole lot less than either of those rifles. When an FS2000 is between $1800 and 2300 dollars and the XCR is typically $1400 to $1700 while the 556 is $1000-1200 in most areas that gives it a serious advantage. SIG has better name recognition than RA and a larger civilian sales base than FN which also contributes to its sales. SIG also has the mystique of the 55x rifles pushing sales. The FS2000 has the F2000 but less people know about that gun (at least until Hollywood starts using it instead of the G36). Also SIG has substantially greater production capacity than RA. Especially since the small parts are from the 55x guns and have been in production for years. When you add it all up SIG had better be the sales leader.

Yep... combine price and value... you get a sales leader... thus the topic of this thread: "The market has spoken--SIG 556 a winner!".

An interesting thing happens when the low price is taken out the equation. A local shop sells the SIG BUIS model for 1400, the XCR with sights and rail covers for 1600 and the FS2000 for 2200 dollars. Two out of those three rifles collect dust at those prices and one sells quite well. HINT- It is the one least plastic. Moral of the story, value is directly related to price.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Around here the base 556 sells for $1025.. the BUIS model for for $1100.  The SWAT model,  FS2000 and XCR have not hit the local shops.  I picked up my XCR for $1240 (no sights) from a board sponsor.  CDNN has the FS2000 for $1850... and I may have to spring for one after XMAS is over.  I mostly purchase from dealers out of state.. where I can get the best price.  My local FFL charges $15 a transfer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#30]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exit stage left.........Scottryan suddenly leaves the thread.
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/268693.jpg

You two have absolutely no right to call me an internet commando.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

We are just waiting for you to post picts of your vast SIG 55x and 556 rifle collection... as requested by KeithBuckner.  With you keen insight and in depth experience on the SIG platform... I bet your collection is awesome!  
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Around here the base 556 sells for $1025.. the BUIS model for for $1100.  My local FFL charges $15 a transfer.

That's a pretty good price! I have to finish my Krinkov project first, but if I can find one for the prices you are quoting, I will likely pick one up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#34]
In the new issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement there is a 556 article, and there are pics of an SBR with a folder that collapses, ala Magpul CTR........I guess this might be the Commando, if it comes out as an SBR
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Around here the base 556 sells for $1025.. the BUIS model for for $1100.  The SWAT model,  FS2000 and XCR have not hit the local shops.  I picked up my XCR for $1240 (no sights) from a board sponsor.  CDNN has the FS2000 for $1850... and I may have to spring for one after XMAS is over.  I mostly purchase from dealers out of state.. where I can get the best price.  My local FFL charges $15 a transfer.

I sure wish I lived where you live. Perhaps every around me just buys their 556's online, though I have yet to meet anyone local who has one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I know two guys who have them and they said they like the way it feels when they shoot it. I played with their 556's and it is heavy compared to my AR. It was nice though. It would be better with a side folding stock for sure though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me help you figure this out.
The 556 is a cheap "sorta" copy of the 55X. I stated this from the beginning, years ago, when I found out about the production of the rifle. All I got was argument about the very existence of the gun. Now that everyone HAS discovered it IS real, all anyone wants to do is argue about exactly what the 556 "is".

The receiver body is made in a cheaper fashion and to lower (albeit certainly acceptable) standards. The finish, alone, in both the upper and lower,  reflects a significant difference in production costs.

The lower is made cheaper (again, acceptable, though), as is the barrel. The internals where you "feel" the difference in the shooting experience of this gun and it's competitors, are, IMHO, comparable to the original 55X rifles' workings. IF you go to the trouble to retrofit a 556, as I and others are doing, you will spend close to the same amount a Canadian would spend on a PE90 (550) or 551 rifle. Still this will be, at it's most, about 1/3 the current selling price of an original 55X in the USA.

If you shoot a 556 alongside a 551, you can feel the difference in quality of the two weapons. Place a 551 lower on the 556, and shoot it alongside a 551, and you will feel NEGLIGIBLE difference between the two (your groups will tighten, as well)!

In either configuration, IMHO, a stock 556 gives you as close an experience to a 55X as can be had for the money (which, incidentally, was the original objective in the design for this gun!!)!

Viewing the promotional and armorers videos (I have both) will show you the obvious differences in the strict guidelines in the development of the original 55X receiver, as well as demonstrate the justification for the higher cost.

If SIG DOES decide to more closely mimic a SwissArms 55X, expect the price tag to reflect the changes that will be necessary to accomplish this.  Until that day, you can do it yourself for about the same money, and have a weapon that YOU will feel that you, pretty much, built yourself and will take more pride in than a simple store purchase.

Thank you for that very informative post! I've read your experiences with the G36 conversions, I've been researching that lately as one of my 2008 projects.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are just waiting for you to post picts of your vast SIG 55x and 556 rifle collection... as requested by KeithBuckner.  With you keen insight and in depth experience on the SIG platform... I bet your collection is awesome!  

+1
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#39]
IN Europe, The folding stock alone is a $350+ part.....Lower, another $500-800.. Compare that to a $150 AR lower and $75 el cheapo tele stock.

BTW, the stock parts and magazines are actually made by a subcontractor for Swiss Arms, so they cant just shove the molds on boat.....

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:44:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Wasnt someone at the Shot Show displaying a 551-like stock that was adjustable for LOP and folded? If someone could figure out a way to mate it to the 556.......not sure who it was, but it looked pretty nice...........add that to the Aurora sights coming out.......

Quoted:
IN Europe, The folding stock alone is a $350+ part.....Lower, another $500-800.. Compare that to a $150 AR lower and $75 el cheapo tele stock.

BTW, the stock parts and magazines are actually made by a subcontractor for Swiss Arms, so they cant just shove the molds on boat.....

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#41]
For those of you stating a SIG 55X costs $2500 in Europe, look how much an AR-15 costs in Europe and compare.

Its all relative.

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Wasnt someone at the Shot Show displaying a 551-like stock that was adjustable for LOP and folded? If someone could figure out a way to mate it to the 556.......not sure who it was, but it looked pretty nice...........add that to the Aurora sights coming out.......

I can't remember where I found these:

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#43]
That's the one.......thanks for posting that...........I couldnt remember who had it, but it seemed like a pretty good idea

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't remember where I found these:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Sig/Sig552Telestock1.jpg
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/Sig/Sig552Telestock2.jpg
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I like the SIG 556... interesting rifle.

I cannot remember, does it take standard AR mags?
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I like the SIG 556... interesting rifle.

I cannot remember, does it take standard AR mags?

Yes it does take AR mags. Even ones that dont feed reliably in an AR will work in the 556!!!

The fact that it does take AR mags is a problem for some though, perhaps because they are so expensive and hard to find.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
For those of you stating a SIG 55X costs $2500 in Europe, look how much an AR-15 costs in Europe and compare.

Its all relative.

Apples and oranges.

SIGs are made in Switzerland; ARs, only small numbers are made in Germany. The later might as well be custom made by a custom shop..

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its all relative.

Apples and oranges.

SIGs are made in Switzerland; ARs, only small numbers are made in Germany. The later might as well be custom made by a custom shop..

Oberland Arms is not a custom shop.

How much does a Sig handgun sell for in Europe?

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#48]
How about those pictures scottryan... we all want to see your awesome SIG collection... the collection from which you have gathered all your vast experience from...

It would be nice if you could take side by side pictures of the 55x internals vs. the 556 internals... give us some range reports... really educate us dummy's....

Please share...
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:33:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Are OA selling 10s of thousands of rack grade rifles a year, riding the backs of Gov't parts contractors for lower parts prices like Bushmaster or Colt ? No....All their parts are custom grade, match grade parts, and they sell very few.... Oberland Arms receivers are cut from billet, match grade barrels, and whatever parts that are non CNCed in small numbers to high precision, are imported from the USA. Here, besides the import and export costs, they have to pay 19% German import duty....I think a better comparison would be Noveske, or whoever is the flavor of the month for a custom build;  comparing it to a rack grade Bushmaster is not very fair...

US SIG 226 MSRP: $800 (at least the slide made in USA BTW)
Swiss SIG 226 retail:  $1000, after you subtract the 6.5% Sales tax built in... Its fully imported from Germany BTW.....

Other Pistol Comparisons:

Glock 17:
US MSRP: 550 ish (semi finished in USA)  Swiss Retail: $640 (IMPORTED from Austria)

Beretta 92FS
US MSRP: $700 ish (US made) Swiss Retail: $700 ish (IMPORTED from Italy)

HK Mk23:

US MSRP: $2100+   German retail: $1700ish  (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

The market for pistols is smaller because of Euro gun control; Most shooters are lucky if they can buy 2.. Even then, there is not much price difference...

Long guns (better comparison)

HK USC .45 carbine
US MSRP: $1700    German retail: $1300 (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

HK SL8:    
US MSRP: $2400
German retail: $1900 (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are OA selling 10s of thousands of rack grade rifles a year, riding the backs of Gov't parts contractors for lower parts prices like Bushmaster or Colt ? No....All their parts are custom grade, match grade parts, and they sell very few.... Oberland Arms receivers are cut from billet, match grade barrels, and whatever parts that are non CNCed in small numbers to high precision, are imported from the USA. Here, besides the import and export costs, they have to pay 19% German import duty....I think a better comparison would be Noveske, or whoever is the flavor of the month for a custom build;  comparing it to a rack grade Bushmaster is not very fair...

US SIG 226 MSRP: $800 (at least the slide made in USA BTW)
Swiss SIG 226 retail:  $1000, after you subtract the 6.5% Sales tax built in... Its fully imported from Germany BTW.....

Other Pistol Comparisons:

Glock 17:
US MSRP: 550 ish (semi finished in USA)  Swiss Retail: $640 (IMPORTED from Austria)

Beretta 92FS
US MSRP: $700 ish (US made) Swiss Retail: $700 ish (IMPORTED from Italy)

HK Mk23:

US MSRP: $2100+   German retail: $1700ish  (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

The market for pistols is smaller because of Euro gun control; Most shooters are lucky if they can buy 2.. Even then, there is not much price difference...

Long guns (better comparison)

HK USC .45 carbine
US MSRP: $1700    German retail: $1300 (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

HK SL8:    
US MSRP: $2400
German retail: $1900 (after you subtract 19% sales tax)

Where is your source?
Page / 5
Top Top